PDA

View Full Version : Mimic Mommy?

helenr
09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I am sure that as a small child my closeness to my mother, minimal father involvement (too busy working, having extra marital affairs), seeing her dress,etc imprinted my developing brain with a role model development. I am now 60, my mother has been deceased two years, and I find that I like to wear similar clothes to what she wore up until her decline. This morning my early morning walk with the dog was with control type, beige Silk Reflections
and a pair of Kathy Lee ladies' poly slacks-elastic waist, no back pocket. no socks, hose visible in my sneakers. I have always preferred the 'grip' or support of the lycra hosiery--my older sister doesn't like this--likes the all nylon variety , as I overheard her once. Do others find themselves 'mimicing mommy' in their choice of clothing? were you also a mommy's boy who watched her put on a girdle,etc? helen

doris
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
I can totally relate to your experience. I hate thongs etc and much prefer what be considered an 'old-fashioned' style, although I prefer tights as against stockings.
Because of my disability I probably spent more time at home with my mother and so was influenced by the clothes that she wore.

Doris xx

Bobbie Jo
09-14-2007, 09:45 AM
My Father wasn't there and there was always my mother or my older sister letting me watch them get dressed. It was really good back in the 60s. Dress code at our high school was every girl had to wear a skirt or dress. I sure did see some great, pantyhose covered LEGGS! That's what i'm takin' about!!!

SirTrey
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
I am sure that as a small child my closeness to my mother, minimal father involvement (too busy working, having extra marital affairs), seeing her dress,etc imprinted my developing brain with a role model development. I am now 60, my mother has been deceased two years, and I find that I like to wear similar clothes to what she wore up until her decline. This morning my early morning walk with the dog was with control type, beige Silk Reflections
and a pair of Kathy Lee ladies' poly slacks-elastic waist, no back pocket. no socks, hose visible in my sneakers. I have always preferred the 'grip' or support of the lycra hosiery--my older sister doesn't like this--likes the all nylon variety , as I overheard her once. Do others find themselves 'mimicing mommy' in their choice of clothing? were you also a mommy's boy who watched her put on a girdle,etc? helen

I hope you don't mind if I comment on this...My wife, Toni, is very much like this....Her father died when she was 10 and she (she, by the way, is mtf) was raised by her mother and aunt, with two sisters, and no significant male in her life as a child....She feels like she grew up way too fast, and learned everything she knew about life from women...Her taste in clothes and her way of thinking, as well....is very much like her mother's....I think that probably has a lot to do with where we are in life as far as our relationship, too....She is heterosexual in that she likes the female body, but she needs a man in her life....and that is ME....Female bodied, but transmasculine by gender....but, back to your original question....She dresses VERY much like her mother, likes aprons, more "old fashioned" type clothing....so you may be onto something...I will mention this post to her so that she can comment herself on this when she gets home from work...but your post caught My eye and I wanted to comment, too....Thanks....**Trey**

helenr
09-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I appreciate the comments and think it is interesting that there seems to be 'age related' feedback. Guess that when you get to 50 and pass it you start to intensify your thoughts of such matters, spend more time on the subject. I wish the best to all of you. hugs, helen

Joy Carter
09-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Same situation when I grew up. I think my mother hated men. I recall her anger towards them. It defiantly affected my thinking and feelings.

AmandaM
09-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Nope, not for me.

Samantha B L
09-15-2007, 09:58 PM
My Mom had a few clothing items that I was crazy about but I don't remember watching her dress. It must've been way back there when I was 3 or 4 that I saw her dress a few times but I don't remember. My Dad wasn't a strict kind of Dad but he was a consistent presence and I had an equal amount of parenting from both of them. I gotta say that I was looking at some old snapshots of my Mom that were taken in 1973 and she seems to have been a far better looking woman than ever crossed my mind while I was growing up. It's strange because you love your Mom and Dad but many kids sort of think of their Mom and Dad as looking silly. I know I did even though I think they were great parents. But I had GG girlfreind mentors and I never tried to "mimic" my Mom as near as I remember.

BarbaraTalbot
09-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I am sure that as a small child my closeness to my mother

~snip~

seeing her dress,etc imprinted my developing brain with a role model development. I am now 60, my mother has been deceased two years, and I find that I like to wear similar clothes to what she wore up until her decline.

~snip~

Do others find themselves 'mimicking mommy' in their choice of clothing? were you also a mommy's boy who watched her put on a girdle,etc?

Well, first I am glad you had a close relationship with your mother. My boys have been similarly blessed by my brilliant and incisive selection of a mate, but I digress.

Sorry to hear that you lost your mother, but it does sound as if you had a great experience while she was here.

Sadly, my mother is the last person I would emulate. Even still, I wonder about imprinting, with my like of satiny feeling fabric.

Jillm
09-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Nope not a momma’s boy did everything with my dad, hunting, fishing, working on cars and stuff like that. I wear outfits my mother would have never considered wearing. I don’t know why but I find a lot of my fashion comes from the eighties; at least that is what my SO tells me.

Carol A
09-16-2007, 09:15 AM
My dress and presentation to this day comes from my mother.
As a teen growing up she insisted when I dressed that I be a perfect lady ( teenager) at all times. To this day I try and dress as a proper lady.

Patty
09-16-2007, 09:36 AM
No influence from Mom

Karren H
09-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Nope... Wasn't a Mommy's boy at all.... Just liked to get into her lingerie drawer....

Sally-Ann
09-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I posted my experience of maternal influence on my sexuality over in the Could Crossdressing Be Hereditary ? (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66759) thread, but I'll expand on its relevance to my CD activities...

I don't recall any direct influence from my mother, other than a possibly misguided belief that, had I been born a girl, she may have had more time for me. I have a recollection of one school play (trying to identify the two or three mental images, I think it was at infants school, but I plan to revisit the school to see if that, and various other memories are valid) in which, for reasons I cannot for the life of me remember, I had to play a harem girl (in dress style, anyway). As far as I can remember that was the earliest time I cross-dressed.

I do have recollections of swiping my mothers undies from the laundry basket when I was in my early teens, and a conversation when she discovered it, where she asked me Does it feel nice when you wear them? - she was trying to deal with something which she had no experience of, no connection to and no understanding of.

I'm just sad that she died when I was 18 (I'm 42 now) and I'll never get the chance to put things right.

Veronica 1
09-16-2007, 02:11 PM
When I woke up this morning I just felt sooo fem, I had to get dolled up so after I took off my slip and old dress that I like to sleep in, I went and applied my skin firming lotions, foundation, blush, eyeshadow and mascara. I put on my black velvet dress, white pantyhose, half slip and silver 4" strap sandals. I was admiring myself in the mirror, when it hit me, I do not dress to mimic mommy, I am mommy. I dug into my collection of old photos and it is true. With my current wig, when I am made up I look so close to being her twin that it is scary. Well, what can I say, I was always her favorite. (and she was one ugly old broad. :heehee:)

Robertacd
09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
I am pretty sure I picked up my love of support hose from my mom, who wore JC Penny's Total Support pantyhose (with panties under:heehee: them) every day, no matter if she was wearing slacks, jeans, or a skirt.

But in a much larger sense I always felt I dress to be more like her. She was very strict and a perfectionist, father was long gone and I could always feel she had some animosity towards men.

I don't think she ever understood that all I ever wanted was to be as perfect as she was, and that meant being a perfect woman.

MarinaTwelve200
09-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I suppose my attraction to darker shades of red lipstick is based on that. My lipstick has to be close to the colors my mom wore. I always feel "inadiquate" or not quite dressed if my lipstick isnt RED enough.

This is true, despite the fact that I actually look better in lighter shades---But I dont get the "Charge" out of CDing with the pinks or browns as I do with the red lipsticks.

RobertaFermina
09-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Mom was a drop-dead gorgeous American-Indian woman, though quite a religious person.
She let go of wearing fabulous clothes because of the jealousy of other women in her church.
Later on, she let herself go for much the same reason (I believe).

It is one of my CD aspirations to carry the flame of Tribute to her and my oldest sister's beauty.

I wear stuff my mother and sister would have worn to church...but lately I've worn evening garb way too risque for my mommikins. She would blush and avert her scandalize gaze! My sister looked at me and cried because she saw in me the picture of our mother at her most beautiful.

Perhaps because I dress as the woman she would have wanted to be, had she never given in to jealousy and let herself go ? I know I dress as the woman I always wanted in my life, as a mother or a partner.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Jennaie
09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I watched her put on makeup and she taught me how to put on makeup, but I never really felt like I have copied her dress style or anything like that. She knew I had a strong femme side and she never tried to keep me from it, in private, of course.

occdresser
09-18-2007, 07:14 PM
totally different for me to except that my dad didnt hang around the house to much except to sleep! Mom wasnt exactly a hooters waitress:straightface:

andreaattimes
09-18-2007, 09:45 PM
My Mom was raised in the era where a woman wore nylons with a dress or skirt, no matter the heat or event. I feel weird if I have a skirt or dress on and no nylons. I guess I get that from her, but that is probably the only thing because she dressed kind of frumpy and I like sexy clothes.

Wenda
09-18-2007, 10:33 PM
... With my current wig, when I am made up I look so close to being her twin that it is scary. Well, what can I say, I was always her favorite. (and she was one ugly old broad. :heehee:)

Damn, that is not nice! LOL!! ... so, should we conclude that you are one ugly middle-aged broad? w.

Wenda
09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Hard to say. My mom was a twin, well a triplet actually, but an incompetant doctor caused the death of the third sibling through navel infection. She was highly creative, and I believe ADD. She was flat -chested, which she blamed on her twin brother, my uncle. My dad and I were very close, but my mom's brother was also a buddy, except he could piss me off just not quite as quickly as she could. I don't ever recall being angry with my dad.
Mom's family were Swedes from Minnesota who embraced the 'frontier' lifestyle of western Canada in the early twentieth century. Mom and all of her sisters were expert horsewomen. They were all basically crossdressers, because they lived in pants, not skirts. Her oldest sister actually did a "Sven the Swede" act to much local acclaim, complete with Charlie Chaplin type mustache.
We lived frugally, and mom didn't have many nice things. She had a great 36C stapless that I wore more than she did, until about grade ten, when I grew out of it. She had a great pair of open-toe heels, that I outgrew around grade 5, and I just bought a similar pair (size 12) on eBay, just because I think they are really sexy and attractive
No, I am in no way mimicing my mom, but her influence is there. If she saw some of Wenda's shoes and boots, she would not hesitate to call me a ****. Which I can't argue with. w

Alice Torn
09-18-2007, 11:00 PM
There are many issues, with crossdressing, and you have addressed a big one, for some of us. I started experimenting, with my sisters's swimsuit, about age 14, then, her hose, and a dress, then, my mom's hose, and girdles. I notice, that I dress, more of the sixties look. My mom is not particularly good looking, but, did have shapely long legs, that looked great in hose. I have noticed, too, that i do look similar in some ways, when dressed, especially with glasses on, red lipstick, and one of my wigs. Eerily sililar! Yes Marina, red, red lipstick only, for me, too! I would have to admit, that my mom did have something to do with me cding. My dad often said he wished he had not had me, that i was to blame for him having to work long hard hours, in factories. He reallly wishes he had not had kids. Mom and Dad fought all the time, too, and i sided with my mom. No wonder I have penis shame, like to dress and fantasize being a lovely doll! I may have to go back, and care for my mom, with alzheimers, and my miserable father. There will be no cding, for a long time, if I have to go live with them, and care for them. It will be like a living hell.

Erica Lynne
09-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I would have to say that my mother influenced me greatly in my approach to dressing. She was very special in understanding my "need" when I was young and I got to try on a lot of her clothes (she was very tall and I was allowed to try on her things, just not get them wrinkled).

I have dressed "properly" (at least the way my mother would have approved) for a lady and my age at the time. When I was younger, stylish skirts (even minis back then) and pantihose. I still prefer hose (either pantihose or stockings) with my dresses. As I grew older, stylish still, but I like conservative for the most part. I think my mother would approve and she was a classy lady and worthy of emulation

Avsblues19
09-19-2007, 01:15 AM
I tend to mimic my mom. My dad died when I was four so I always looked up to her. I tend to try to find dresses and skirts that she likes to wear.

Khriss
09-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Dang .. I must be the long lost daughter of Emma Peel ,
.. or at least Dianna Rigg !? hehe :eek::D xx"K"

Veronica 1
09-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Damn, that is not nice! LOL!! ... so, should we conclude that you are one ugly middle-aged broad? w.

Way to call it as you see it, hon. :D A little bit of concrete and some topping mud could smooth out my complexion, I suppose. LOL

Melisa Honey
09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I seemed to distance my self from my mom as i got older.

Man Of Silk
09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I pretty much was a mommas boy. I ALWAYS ENJOYED GETTING DRESSED UP
IN HER CLOTHES. I WOULD FIRST GRAB A PAIR OF PANTIES-COTTON TO
WHICH I HATE TO THIS DATE A BRA AND A SLIP.I WOULD THEN GET OUT A
PAIR OF EITHER PANTYHOS OR TIGHTS. I PERFERRED THE TIGHTS THE BEST.
I WOULD THEN PROCEED TOTHE CLOSETWHERE I WOULD SELECT A DRESS AND A PAIR OF HEELS. I DID THAT FOR A LONG TIME AND NEVER GOT CAUGHT.

Man of Silk

noname
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
With my mom divorced as I was in infant, I was raised by my mom and sisters. I can vividly remember my mom sitting in church with her leggs crossed. I also remember crossing mine the same way. It was difficult but I did it. I still that way to this day.

trannie T
09-28-2007, 01:55 AM
My mom was never concerned with style or fashion. In the last twenty years of her life I don't think she ever wore anything not made of polyester. She never wore any makeup except lipstick. I dearly love her and miss her but she was never a crossdresser's role model.