PDA

View Full Version : What is in your pockets??

BarbaraTalbot
09-18-2007, 01:15 AM
This from a post of mine complaining that the stealth items I wear (guy cut, juniors department) have no or poor functioning pockets in FtM:

Snip

Ok here's the deal with pockets. Dee says girls are taught to keep their hands out of their pockets, it isn't ladylike. Seems silly. I mean whats more socially offensive? A girl getting her keys out of her pockets or some dude jingling them in the deep deep pockets of his roomy pleated front trousers? I need to go ask about this for the transmen.....

Snip

So I am asking, what do you dudes do about pockets, especially for guys like me that are a little more slender and find they have to get "boyfriend" jeans (which come to think of it have decent pockets).

Has anyone ever modified pockets to be usable? Do you look for this while shopping? Do you carry a murse or a manbag ever? Do use a trifold or bi-fold wallet?

And finally, gents belly up to the table here and empty your pocket litter. What do you usually carry?

Me, in guy mode I carry a wallet, car keys, change, crumpled receipts (dunno why I even take them home, why not trash em at the store?), sometimes a small flashlight (If I plan on diving), A small cell phone, when I am working in the field I have to find a pocket big enough for my old digicamera, and of course any interesting small rock I happen to have found that day.

DanielMacBride
09-18-2007, 01:55 AM
All I usually carry in my pockets is:

Wallet (on a chain)
Mobile phone
Occasionally my keys (when I am not wearing them on a lanyard).

Daniel

Abraxas
09-18-2007, 02:04 AM
I have, in my left front pocket, chapstick and cell phone. Right front, a pen, sometimes my smokes and a lighter if I'm not wearing a jacket or a shirt with a front pocket, and my car keys if I'm driving (er. Well, if I'm driving they're in the ignition, but you know what I mean). Back right pocket is my leather trifold wallet and loose change, which I put in a jar most nights when I get home. Back left pocket is where I shove receipts, scraps of paper, or air waybills when I take a box to the airport... Usually I find the scraps of paper shredded in the dryer after I do laundry... Teehee!

Tobie
09-18-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm still trying to understand the obsession with keeping numerous crumpled receipts in your pockets.. S/O does that too!

Front left pocket is keys, and cell phone when I have it. Front right is bills/change, and my lighters. Back left pocket, my tin of smokes. Back right pocket, bus pass for public transit. And I haven't used a purse in almost 3 months... because I have a diaper bag! :D

My wallet currently is a ladies one, with plenty of spots for my numerous cards - debit, driver's license, health cards for me and the boys, and all the store 'bonus' cards. I used to have a really nice bi-fold wallet, but years of stuffing too many cards in it.. well, it bit the dust about a year ago.

SirTrey
09-18-2007, 06:19 AM
Right back pocket, tri-fold wallet....right front pocket, keys and cell phone....Left pockets are for anything else I accumulate (receipts, change, etc.), though in the fall I keep tissues in My back left pocket because I have allergies....To compensate for the "purse" that I used to carry, anything else I need, I just keep in My Jeep.....and go back to get it if I need it, which I rarely do....**Trey**

John
09-18-2007, 06:49 AM
right now?

um...

keys,
swipe-in card for work (on lunch, yay)
some chainge.

Adam
09-18-2007, 07:10 AM
i carry phone and medcine in left pocket and wallet and coins in the right pocket

Tristan
09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
The left has my phone (the side of my desk no one can see at work so I can text with my baby). The right front pocket has my wallet, burt's bees (for lips), and keys usually. I don't usually use my back pockets except for receipts and paper stuff that I won't feel if I sit on it.

Cai
09-18-2007, 07:39 AM
I remember when I got my first pair of men's khakis. I went :eek: I can actually keep things in the pockets!! (I've always hated needing to carry a purse)

I wear a 30x32 or 32x32, which I can usually locate in the guys department with a little bit of hunting, so I don't need to purchase "boyfriend" jeans. The only pocket "modifications" I've ever made were accidentally forcing my hands through the bottom of the pockets in order to get them to fit. :heehee:

In my pockets:
cell phone (sometimes) - left front
bifold wallet - right back
car keys - right front
school keys (ID, dorm key, etc) - right front
comb - left front

brylram
09-18-2007, 09:11 AM
left front: cell phone and nintendo DS
right front: pencil, any loose change I have
right back: bi-fold wallet
left back: usually empty, but I did keep bus tickets there back in the day when I took transit to school

That's what I have EVERY day... but I can have a lot more depending on the day and what random items get thrown my way. When I was younger I always wore big jackets, and the pockets were always super deep, and packed with everything I could possibly fit.... or more if I had lots of stuff I thought would be useful. I used to always carry a deck of cards with me too, but my current school considers ALL card games gambling, so I stopped.

Syr_SwitchyGQ
09-18-2007, 09:55 AM
erm... I usually just have my cell phone, ID card and chapstick in my left front and my keys and random cash in my other... and any other random things I pick up. I don't use my back pockets - I hate sitting on anything that isn't my butt. Oh, and I've never carried a purse in my life, even at my most femme. I used to have a collection of unused purses that my mother and grandmother kept giving me :rolleyes: stashed in my closet until we moved. I also love my leather bomber and/or hoodies and cargos, because they have numerous other random pockets I can put crap in.

P.S. - About the crumpled receipt thing: that's how I know when to do laundry. I tend to wear the same three pairs of shorts/pants for a week or two; when I find a receipt in the pockets from more than two weeks ago, I know it's time. :D

Dasein9
09-18-2007, 10:36 AM
I take home receipts that have any part of my debit card number on them and shred 'em. If I paid cash, it stays in the bag, where it'll be covered in cat litter.

Pockets:
Blazer: Mp3 player, handkerchief, nicotine gum.

Pants: lip balm (a manly one), spare battery for Mp3 player, cinnamon stick, Pepto chewables, Swiss Army knife with a pen in it, wallet. No longer a Zippo guy. Doesn't make sense now that I don't smoke.

Cai
09-18-2007, 10:55 AM
No longer a Zippo guy. Doesn't make sense now that I don't smoke.

Das, you quit? That's great. :thumbsup:

Tobie
09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
P.S. - About the crumpled receipt thing: that's how I know when to do laundry. I tend to wear the same three pairs of shorts/pants for a week or two; when I find a receipt in the pockets from more than two weeks ago, I know it's time. :D

OK, that makes sense to me. I'll just have to dig through S/O's pockets to see if I get him to follow the same idea. ;)

Taylor105
09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Sometimes it is random stuff but the things that I ALWAYS have in my pockets are back left pocket my wallet on a chanin. It is wide and has a snap closure. It's a really cool Led Zeppelin wallet. Maybe I will show it to you guys in a video or something. I love making those videos. lol Um...in the front pockets I have my car keys in one and the cell phone in the other. If I'e been shopping I carry various crumpled up reciepts too. I am anal about making sure I balance the checkbook after getting home from using my ATM card.

CaptLex
09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Ok here's the deal with pockets. Dee says girls are taught to keep their hands out of their pockets, it isn't ladylike. Seems silly. I mean whats more socially offensive? A girl getting her keys out of her pockets or some dude jingling them in the deep deep pockets of his roomy pleated front trousers? I need to go ask about this for the transmen.....
Good thread, Barbara. I think it's 'cause guys tend to stand around with their hands in the front pockets, so if a woman does it she may appear mannish to some people and heaven forbid a woman do that, right? I've always stood around like that since I was very young and that's another reason people assumed I was a lesbian. But men's pants are sooooo great 'cause they have so many pockets, and real pockets that hold real stuff not like some women's pants that only hold something small like a lipstick.

So I am asking, what do you dudes do about pockets, especially for guys like me that are a little more slender and find they have to get "boyfriend" jeans (which come to think of it have decent pockets). Has anyone ever modified pockets to be usable? Do you look for this while shopping? Do you carry a murse or a manbag ever? Do use a trifold or bi-fold wallet?
Do I look for pockets while shiopping? I have never bought pants without pockets - and this was quite a problem once upon a time when I wore women's pants. Now more and more women's pants are made with pockets, but men's pants still have more pockets (like those great ones in the back). I carry a bag which has straps that go over both shoulders (not a knapsack or backpack though), but I've never carried a purse. Yuck - I've always hated those. And it's funny that some female friends never noticed that until I came out. :rolleyes:

Yes, I do have a man's wallet - not really bifold or trifold, though . . . kind of hard to describe, but I never carry cash in it - the cash is always outside the wallet in my pocket. It's an old habit I picked up from my mom. She always carried her cash in her pockets in case her bag was snatched all the thief would get was a comb, some tissues and her lipstick.

And finally, gents belly up to the table here and empty your pocket litter. What do you usually carry?

Front left pants pocket:
lip balm (the manly kind too)
lighter
medicine
mints
receipts (which I enter into my money-managing software at the end of the day - gotta keep track of expenses)

Front right pants:
wallet
cash

Back left pants:
cellphone

Back right pants:
work keys
home keys

Front left blazer:
MP3 player

Front right blazer:
work pass (swipey thingy)
pack of tissues

Top left blazer:
sunglasses

Inside left blazer:
cigs (shhh)

mistunderstood
09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Ok I am half squirrel and half kangaroo. With saying that I have to have pockets.Pants with lots of pockets rule. I carry every thing. I also use a back pack to with lots of pockets. I ride the bus al over town so I need lots of pockets. I carry a small fan, silver wear because I eat on the run,CD or MP3 player, tissue, water bottle,wallet,change,battierys,organizer,cell phone,my hat,coat if cold or rainy,books,first aid kit,sewing kit, asprine, ace bandage for my ankle or foot sometimes they hurt and I have to rap them, and god knows what else I find to stuff in my pockets.
So as you see I am the pocket master:)

JamesAlan
09-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I actually had to stand up and empty my pockets for this one...

Left Front: 3 lighters (my mother just traded my 2 of hers for one of mine), 2 keys that don't work (why I still have them in my pocket I don't know, and my pain pills. Sometimes my mom's cell and her keys (she's bad about not wanting to carry a purse, but has not pockets on her pants, I end up carrying it in one of my "bottomless" pockets for her)

Right front: Keys (hanging onto beltloop but tucked into pocket), bottle of alleve, and chapstick (fell off the keychain)

Back left: Ack, still have My mom's wallet there

Back right: my red trifold wallet (that's where my reciepts end up, if the velcro won't close, time to clean out reciepts)

ZenFrost
09-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I strongly prefer pants (and shirts) with pockets, but if I can't have any I'll make do without them. I have modified pockets in the sense that when I needed a pocket I made one out of an old sock. I do try to look for pockets while shopping. I'm not the manbag kind of guy, but I may have a backpack or computer bag depending on where I am. My wallet is sort of tri-bi-fold. It's kinda funky lookin'. As for what I carry, it depends on where I am or where I'm going. I try to always carry lip balm and a tissue. Optional items include: cell phone, wallet, keys, pen, medication, parking hang tag, sunglasses, mp3 player... etc.

bi_weird
09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Wow lotsa pockets. I'll start with the easy answer.
Front left: keys
Front right: cell phone, chapstick (Lipsmackers Dr. Pepper flavor because I'm not so manly :- )
Back right: wallet

Those objects are kept to a short list because I wear girl's pants half the time. Then again, I sit in such odd positions I've found that even in guy's pants I don't like having too much stuff in my pockets. I do, however, love pockets like you wouldn't believe. I make Mom sew them in to everything she makes me, big ones. I looooove cargo pants with hip pockets, especially when I'm travelling, because it's so great to have more storage space. I've actually never been told to keep my hands out of my pockets, that I can remember. Which is weird, because my relatives love to tell me I'm not lady-like (which I always agree with...dunno why they keep saying it.). As for a wallet, I've carried one for ages now, since like ninth grade. Never could abide carrying a purse. I've got this ancient ten dollar leather wallet from JCPenny which is worn through in several spots. It still holds my money, though, so I see no reason to replace it.

jsoto81
09-19-2007, 09:56 PM
In my front left pocket I have my cellphone.
Front right are change and car keys
Back right is my wallet.

Now if I'm interested in a woman though and I'm with her (*cough* Sahra *cough*) I cram my hands in my front pockets or cross my arms to control the urge to want to touch her.

ali
11-02-2007, 05:22 AM
wallet
phone
black eyeliner ( i love it on guys so i wear it on me :) )
keys, if i havnt lost them, which i often do

crazy4cheezeits
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
If wearing jeans:
right pocket- phone and key, left pocket- iPod, back pocket- (duct tape!) wallet

If wearing cargo pants:
right pocket- wallet, left pocket- iPod, left cargo pocket- key, pencil/pen(s), right cargo pocket- phone and pocketknife

Anthony Jake
11-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Pockets..

front right ; keys, lighter, change
front left ; phone and cigarettes (for now)

back right ; money notes.

back left; usually annoying poo bags for the dogs which i have forgotten to take out!

I cant keep my change and keys in with my phone because it really really annoys me to have it screwing up the screen

Reciepts in general really annoy me, i don't like to know what i have spent, its depressing.. so i tend to chuck them as i get them unless i may need to return the item.

The only bag i tend to carry is a backpack because i always have a book with me to write in. And i bottle of coke for when i need a drink.. that and i tend to accumulate crap as i go on through the day and i dont want it to fill my pockets!

As for a purse, no!! i have my railcard which has a photo of my real dad in because i've just always carried his pic around with me since mum gave it me about 11 years ago.

Cargo pockets on the side of my legs never have anything in because they bug me hitting on my knees and stuff.

DanielMacBride
11-03-2007, 01:14 AM
OK I have to revise my list of pocket contents LOL....it varies depending on which pants I'm wearing (the list I initially posted generally holds true for my jeans as they have smaller pockets, but if I'm wearing my cargos - which are now my favourite pants - it looks like this):

Top right pocket: wallet on chain, keychain with keys and compass on it
Bottom right pocket (the one on the leg): STP device (medicine spoon variety), lip balm, lighter (no, I don't smoke, but you never know when you might need one!)
Top left pocket: mobile phone, mints
Bottom left pocket: pen, small notepad, comb, pocket knife (or occasionally I carry this on my belt), and if its a bit cold, my beanie (unless its on my head of course) :)

If I need to carry anything more than this I use a backpack.

Daniel

RevMoonSerpent
11-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Usually it's just keys, wallet and cellphone. Sometimes my glasses if I'm having a bad eye day.
If I'm going on a longer trip I have my mp3 player and headphones.
On rare occassions I have been known to pocket gum, mints, or other hard candies and if I'm going to a funeral or have a cold there are tissues around.
I think that's pretty much it.

ZenFrost
11-04-2007, 02:43 PM
What have I gots in my pocketses? The one ring of Sauron!

Leo Lane
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Good one, ZenFrost.

I carry money, my mobile phone, a pen and my keys in my pockets, and sometimes odds and ends like broken rubber bands. I always have my hands in my pockets!

ZenFrost
11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Good one, ZenFrost.

Glad someone thought so. :winkp: