PDA

View Full Version : a safe house for vintage crossdressers

sheermary
09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
A Safe House for the Girl Within
From “Casa Susanna”: Edited by Michel Hurst and Robert Swope (Powerhouse Books)
In the early 1960’s, Susanna Valenti, otherwise known as Tito, created a refuge for transvestites on 150 acres in the Catskills.

Print
Single Page
Reprints
Save

By PENELOPE GREEN
Published: September 7, 2006
THERE was a pilot and a businessman, an accountant, a librarian and a pharmacologist. There was a newspaper publisher, and a court translator. By day, they were the men in the gray flannel suits, but on the weekends, they were Felicity, Cynthia, Gail, Sandy, Fiona, Virginia and Susanna. It was the dawn of the 1960’s, yet they wore their late 50’s fashions with awkward pride: the white gloves, the demure dresses and low heels, the stiff wigs. Many were married with children, or soon would be. In those pre-Judith Butler, pre-Phil Donahue days, when gender was more tightly tethered to biology, these men’s “gender migrations,” or “gender dysphoria,” as the sociologists began to call cross-dressing, might cost them their marriages, their jobs, their freedom.

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Photographs from “Casa Susanna”: Edited by Michel Hurst and Robert Swope (Powerhouse Books)
At Casa Susanna, guests could indulge their wildest domestic urges: to play Scrabble in a dress, to trade makeup tips, and to take lots and lots of pictures.
And so they kept their feminine selves hidden, except for weekends at Casa Susanna, a slightly run-down bungalow camp in Hunter, N.Y., that was the only place where they could feel at home.

Decades later, when Robert Swope, a gentle punk rocker turned furniture dealer, came across their pictures — a hundred or so snapshots and three photo albums in a box at the 26th Street flea market in Manhattan — he knew nothing about their stories, or Casa Susanna, beyond the obvious: here was a group of men dressed as women, beautiful and homely, posing with gravity, happiness and in some cases outright joy. They were playing cards, eating dinner, having a laugh. They didn’t look campy, like drag queens vamping it up as Diana Ross or Cher; they looked like small-town parishioners, like the lady next door, or your aunt in Connecticut.

Mr. Swope was stunned by the pictures and moved by the mysterious world they revealed. He and his partner, Michel Hurst, gathered them into a book, “Casa Susanna,” which was published by Powerhouse Books in 2005 and reissued last spring, and which became an instant sensation, predictably, in the worlds of fashion and design. Paul Smith stores sold it, as did the SoHo design store and gallery Moss, which made a Christmas diorama of a hundred copies last year. Last month, you might have seen it in the hands of a child-size mannequin in the Marc Jacobs store on Bleecker Street.

But it was only after the book’s publication that Mr. Swope and Mr. Hurst began to learn the story of Casa Susanna, first called the Chevalier d’Eon resort, for an infamous 18th-century cross-dresser and spy, and only in recent months, as they have begun working on a screenplay about the place, that they have come to know some of its survivors.

“At first, I didn’t want to know more,” Mr. Swope said. “I didn’t want to find out that the stories turned out to be tragedies.”

But the publication of the book has drawn former Casa Susanna guests out, and it turns out that their stories, like most, have equal measures of tragic and comic endings. Some are still being told.

Robert Hill, a doctoral candidate in the American studies program at the University of Michigan who is completing his dissertation on heterosexual transvestism in post-World War II America, came across Mr. Swope and Mr. Hurst’s book by accident in a Borders last year, reached out to them through their publisher, and sketched in many of the details.

Casa Susanna was owned by Susanna herself — the court translator, otherwise known as Tito Valenti — and Valenti’s wife, Marie, who conveniently ran a wig store on Fifth Avenue and was happy to provide makeover lessons and to cook for the weekend guests. It was a place of cultivated normalcy, where Felicity, Cynthia, Gail, Fiona and the others were free to indulge their radical urges to play Scrabble in a dress, trade makeup tips or walk in heels in the light of day.

“These men had one foot in the mainstream and the other in the margins,” Mr. Hill said the other day. “I’m fascinated by that position and their paradox, which is that the strict gender roles of the time were both the source of their anxiety and pain, and also the key to escaping that pain.”

What still moves Murray Moss, the impresario behind Moss the store, about the images in the book is their ordinariness. “You think of man dressed as woman and you think extremes: it’s kabuki, Elizabethan theater, Lady Macbeth,” he said. “It’s also sexual. But these aren’t sexual photos. The idea that they formed a secret society just to be ... ordinary. It’s like a mirror held up to convention. It’s not what you would expect. It’s also not pathetic. Everybody looks so happy.”

At first, Casa Susanna was a thrilling place, said Sandy, a divorced businessman, “because whatever your secret fantasies were you were meeting other people who had similar ones and you realized, ‘I might be different but I’m not crazy.’ ” Now 67 and living in the Northeast, he hasn’t cross-dressed for decades, and asked that his identifying details be veiled. He was a graduate student in 1960, he said, living in New York and visiting Casa Susanna on the weekends.

1 2Next

(from NYTimes)

Karren H
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Yep... Its a very well documented story... Thanks for sharing..

Karren

Samantha B L
09-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi Sheermary, That's all very interesting and informative. I was born in 1956 and there were ocaisional female impersonators on the old TV variety shows but Transgender folks didn't start to come out much until the sixties were nearly over.The point is they had to be out there somewhere and your thread sheds some light on who some of them were and what they were doing.

Paulette
09-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Sounds like the type of place we all would want to visit and just be girls for the wekend.

Wendy me
09-18-2007, 05:09 PM
thanks for shareing............

Pamela Julie
09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
:happy:Sounds like a dream come true. Anyone interested in an all CD and supportive others cruise in the Caribbean? Even us closet dressers could go on board in drab, change in our room, and know it is perfectly safe, even encouraged to come out. We could have fashion shows, seminars on makeup, hair, etc. Lectures on transitioning. My mind is going wild with the possibilities.

PJ

eleventhdr
09-18-2007, 07:06 PM
To peraphase a place far from the maddening crwod is what all of us boy's who jaut really do want to be girl's a place for us all to go where we could be so wether it is just to dress or to go much further like some of us still do really want to do some of us do still want to become as close to real gilr's as we can get this would be such a place ah just to get there and be able to finally relax as the girl's that we really are!

Suzy Ann!

occdresser
09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
it sounds interesting and fun!:2c: years ago if you wore a dress as a guy-didnt they just lock you up in the looney bin?

janet1234
09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
also a website kinkinthecaribbean.com for latex lovers, held I believe in Jamaica, something as you suggest could also be done without having to charter or almost charter a cruise ship. For me, a good idea but I don't know how I would break the news to my SO.

andreaattimes
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
I would love a vacation where I could be the girl I want to be.

Alice Torn
09-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Vewy intedesting! History, and non-fiction, are stranger than fiction!