PDA

View Full Version : FTM ONLY:- How or why did you pick your male name?

Kieron Andrew
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
simple really tell me how or why you chose your male name? what made you decide on it

Tobie
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
With my online role-playing, whenever I've let out my male side/character, the name was Tiergan. I've always liked Irish/Celtic/Gaelic names for boys(my older son is named Keiran), and I thought it was appropriate for me.

Tiergan means 'strong-willed', which I most certainly am. As for the 'last' name.. it just fit.

SirTrey
09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
I picked Trey because it is close to My birth name (which is Tracy), but is the male version thereof (and I am male, not female, so it is more fitting)....I also think it has a sensitive, yet strong quality....I would have chosen it even IF it wasn't so close to the original one....It just feels right, it IS right....I am still deciding on the middle name....am leaning toward Nicholas (which I also see as sensitive, yet strong)....but haven't decided on that 100%....and....as soon as I do, I am going to go and file for the legal change....so I'm pretty excited about that! :) Kieron, how did you choose yours? You asked the question, but you didn't say....**Trey** (who LOVES his name a lot)

Kieron Andrew
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Kieron, how did you choose yours? You asked the question, but you didn't say...I had a feeling you were gonna ask that :heehee:.....OK my heritage is Celtic and I always wanted a Celtic name to honour my heritage, and for some reason the name Kieron has been in the back of my mind for many years since i was a small child, so it just seemed right to pick it to use full time, Andrew was taken from my best friends first name who died in 1997 who was one of the very first people to accept me as male even though he was madly in love with my female side as he saw it then, even though ive never felt i had one.....and I asked him before I knew he was sick if one day I could take his first name to be my middle name, he naturally said yes and so to honour him when he died thats what I did when he passed, mind you it took me almost 10 years to be comfortable using it, oh and i wanted to keep my female initials out of respect to my parents

SirTrey
09-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I had a feeling you were gonna ask that :heehee:.....OK my heritage is Celtic and I always wanted a Celtic name to honour my heritage, and for some reason the name Kieron has been in the back of my mind for many years since i was a small child, so it just seemed right to pick it to use full time, Andrew was taken from my best friends first name who died in 1997 who was one of the very first people to accept me as male even though he was madly in love with my female side.....and I asked him before I knew he was sick if one day I could take his first name to be my middle name, he naturally said yes and so to honour him when he died thats what I did when he passed, mind you it took me almost 10 years to be comfortable using it, oh and i wanted to keep my female initials out of respect to my parents

That's My struggle with "Nicholas"....I would love to keep My initials....and My middle initial is "L" for "Lynn"....but.....I can't find ONE "L" name that I like or that seems right....suggestions?

Kieron Andrew
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
.but.....I can't find ONE "L" name that I like or that seems right....suggestions?

start another thread i have loads of suggestions lol:heehee:

Taylor105
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Get ready to laugh. When I lived in Texas I lived on Taylor Street. I actually tried the whole "let's get married to a man and try to be normal" thing. I wish I could erase that part of my past. Anyway, when I left him I moved to a place on Taylor street. And I came out as trans once the divorce was final and that is how I picked my name. I know it can be unisex and I do get assumed to be a girl sometimes and that sucks but oh well. Taylor fits me I think. I just recently picked my middle name. John. My favorite Uncle (who is gay) is named John. Plus my foster mom loves the name and if she had given birth to me herself she said she would have chosen John for me. So I kinda let her name me and it meant a lot to her. Taylor John has a nice ring to it. Don't you think?

Tristan
09-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I really liked the name TJ so I wanted initials that were TJ. I went through a long list of T first names a while back for a second life account. And came across Tristan which means noisy one. And I know Das won't believe me on this, because I'm very shy around people I don't know very well, but I do tend to talk quite a bit at times. So it seemed to suit me and I thought it was a very cool sounding name. I'm just up in the air about my middle name. I think I'm going with Joseph, because Joey was the first male name I went by online, and in using Joseph it's like keeping the first part of my journey with me. My birth name is actually unisex for the first name, but my father named me. I don't want to keep the name he gave me, and I considered changing my last name so I wouldn't have his last name either, but that means putting the name change in the paper for six weeks so I've decided to keep that part when I do get around to changing my name. I will probably file in April so it's legally changed by the time I move in May.

mistunderstood
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I chose Aaron because my moms first name began with A, my middle name Micheal because it seems to fit, last name it also starts with M. Sometimes I use Micheal as last name and sometimes I use it as a middle.

Cai
09-18-2007, 02:37 PM
I picked Cai because it's Welsh for "joy". My birth name has the meaning "joy" as well and there's a whole story as to why she named me "joy". I always loved that story, and wanted to keep it as part of my identity.

When I eventually legally change my name, I'll probably use the name George somewhere. George was my grandfather, who passed away last August. It's his money that's paying for me to attend the amazing school I go to, and he was always incredibly supportive of anything I wanted to do. Taking his name would be a great way to honor his memory, especially because none of the grandchildren have it.

I've been toying with the idea of using George as a legal first name and Cai as a middle name. Partly for logistical reasons, as George is definitively male and Cai is not, and partly because George Cai N_ sounds way better than Cai George N_.

The other idea I've been tossing around is using Kyle as a legal name, and "Ky" as a nickname, which would allow me to keep the history of my name that I like, but also have a masculine name.

John
09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Herd it on TV, liked it (boring, no?)

Abraxas
09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
It's Eddie Izzard's fault. I have a friend in Chicago, who I call Big Sister. So she calls me Little Brother. And when I went to chicago to meet up with her and go to Izzard's Q&A, she introduced me as her Baby Brother Benny (which is part of one of his comedy bits). That just kinda stuck.
I've decided I want two middle names also, so again, in honour of Eddie, who definitely helped me realise my identity, the first is Edward. And the second middle name is James because, well, first I like the name and second, it's Hugh Laurie's first name.
So. Benjamin Edward James. And then the surname, which I haven't decided on yet... My actual surname is Persian and therefore most people can't pronounce it and it's 14 letters long, which is a bit much. But it does sound a bit like 'Thompson' so I might end up using that. Not sure yet.

Adam
09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Adam because i just always liked that name and simon because my mum wanted to pick my middle name :D

CaptLex
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I chose Lex 'cause it's manlier than Alex or Alexis . . . and very uncommon too, so there's a rare chance that anyone would be referring to someone else when they call my name. :tongue:

brylram
09-18-2007, 06:45 PM
I was originally going to change my name to Damian Micheal Reese (Reese is not my actual last name, so it would have been a FULL name change), but my mother decided one day that she wanted to name me, and that if she could she would help me get a legal name change. I'd already considered Logan for quite some time, so when she said it I had no argument, the Michael just felt right, so I couldn't get rid of it, and I couldn't get rid of this nagging feeling at the back of my head to keep Reese too, so I tacked it onto my middle name.

So now, not including my last name, my name is legally Logan Michael-Reese. I'm pretty happy with it.

JamesAlan
09-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm debating my name now. I know I'm going to keep the James. I talked to my mom and asked her if I had been born a boy, what would she have named me. She said either Christopher (which happens to be my g/f's birthname) or a junior. I would have ended up James Gilmer W______, Jr. I love my dad dearly (hence taking the James) but lord not Gilmer...though I think he'd be proud to have me take his full name. I don't know, he died 4 yrs ago. The Alan came from my previous furry name Alana, masculine version. Plus it's my mate's birth name middle name, just different spelling. Though, I've also thought about taking her real name...Not sure yet. So for now I'm sticking with James Alan, but might change to Christopher Allen or James Gilmer.

DanielMacBride
09-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I couldn't really explain how I came into my male name....Daniel just kinda let me know when I cut my hair and looked in the mirror for the first time, I was like "oh, hello, so THAT'S who you are" lol :) And my middle name Ciaran was just a kinda natural follow-on, same thing, I don't know how I knew, I just did.

My male surname however was a bit more of a conscious thing - since I am a Pagan and Brighid is my Goddess, as a female I was using ni Bride as my surname (which means Daughter of Brighid), so it was just simple logic to change it to MacBride (son of Brighid) and at the same time give a nod to my strongly Celtic (and particularly Scottish) heritage :)

Daniel

Taylor105
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm debating my name now. I know I'm going to keep the James. I talked to my mom and asked her if I had been born a boy, what would she have named me. She said either Christopher (which happens to be my g/f's birthname) or a junior. I would have ended up James Gilmer W______, Jr. I love my dad dearly (hence taking the James) but lord not Gilmer...though I think he'd be proud to have me take his full name. I don't know, he died 4 yrs ago. The Alan came from my previous furry name Alana, masculine version. Plus it's my mate's birth name middle name, just different spelling. Though, I've also thought about taking her real name...Not sure yet. So for now I'm sticking with James Alan, but might change to Christopher Allen or James Gilmer.

This gave me a flashback. When I was about five I asked my mom what she would have named me if I was born into a boy's body. She said Mark. I told her I liked that name better than Michelle and asked if I could change it to Mark. She of course told me no. lol Oh well, I don't think Mark would fit me now anyway. I'm definitely a Taylor John!!

ZenFrost
09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I chose Lex 'cause it's manlier than Alex or Alexis . . . and very uncommon too, so there's a rare chance that anyone would be referring to someone else when they call my name. :tongue:

Except for that other Lex who was on this board for a while. :winkp:

I picked my name because, well, y'all know about my ridiculous number of nicknames and this one just sort of came up and stuck.

jsoto81
09-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I chose Ben for my first name cause it's one letter away from my birth name, and I figured this might be hard enough on some people that I could give them that, and I've always like then name and I personally haven't come across men named Ben but that could just be me. And for middle name I chose Gabriel, I've always loved that name too, another unique name and I have a thing for Arch Angels. Now I've just got to go get my name changed to that legally.

Anthony Jake
10-06-2007, 09:17 AM
I chose Seth purely because i didnt have a clue what name I wanted.. and seeing as i was originally 'Stephanie' which always got shortend to 'Steph' i figured if i just went to be Seth then i wouldnt forget what my name was or have too much trouble adapting to a new name.. further down the line when i do it all officially i quite like the name Jay or Jake... but for now Seth is ok. :happy:

bi_weird
10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh I missed this thread. Well I don't generally go by a male name, but I think if I did I'd use Mark. I've always liked it, and it's similar to my female name. I've also thought about a gender neutral name/nickname, which I might actually start going by if I can figure out how to tell people without making a huge fuss. My brothers and my dad sometimes call me 'Rie, like the last syllable of Marie (my real name). Seeing as how it's not a real name, it seems gender neutral enough. But I think if I started telling people to call me 'Rie I'd have to explain why to EVERYONE and that just seems like too much work right now. We'll see.

Dasein9
10-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I really liked the name TJ so I wanted initials that were TJ. I went through a long list of T first names a while back for a second life account. And came across Tristan which means noisy one. And I know Das won't believe me on this, because I'm very shy around people I don't know very well, but I do tend to talk quite a bit at times. So it seemed to suit me and I thought it was a very cool sounding name. I'm just up in the air about my middle name. I think I'm going with Joseph, because Joey was the first male name I went by online, and in using Joseph it's like keeping the first part of my journey with me. My birth name is actually unisex for the first name, but my father named me. I don't want to keep the name he gave me, and I considered changing my last name so I wouldn't have his last name either, but that means putting the name change in the paper for six weeks so I've decided to keep that part when I do get around to changing my name. I will probably file in April so it's legally changed by the time I move in May.

LOL! I believe you, already! Believe it or not, I can be shy and quiet at times too, and talk up a storm when I'm comfortable.

Dasein9
10-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Before I was born, my name was Matthew. But I don't feel like a Matthew or a Matt.

My first email address was Dasein9, a pun on my studying Heidegger, and my online presence was called Das for years. I liked being called Das. So, when it came time to take a male name, I settled on it. Now, it will be a bit precious for a Heidegger scholar to be called Das, so if/when I get the legal name change, I'm thinking it'll be my middle name, with Ephraim as a first name. Ephraim's just a name I like. It means "fruitful," and it's nice to think it will refer to my work in teaching and Philosophy. It has a certain gravitas, too, which is always helpful.

halfman_halfamazing
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Ron because of Weasley and Hector because I fell in love with that name because of a hottie I knew thats that.

Cai
10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Ron because of Weasley and Hector because I fell in love with that name because of a hottie I knew thats that.

You should go do an intro.:happy:

Syr_SwitchyGQ
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Okay... so I definitely didn't reply to this for awhile because I was still working out what I wanted to be called and given that I have about ten names/nicknames, I just didn't bother... but I think I've got stuff narrowed down now... (cue plea for advice)

Gutherie is leftover from a drag thinger... sounds like a drag king name and thus I don't think I'll be keeping it. Too unusual/old fashioned. I suppose if I spelled it the normal way (Guthrie) it'd be more palatable, but still...

RJ is my quick-fix-initials solution. It's androgynous and normalish, so I've been using it. Seeing as I have to double up my last name to get it to work (R is for Rachel and J is for my surname... my middle name is actually Elizabeth) RJ J______??? Bleagh... not gonna work long-term. Right now, my excuse is that there are too many damn Rachels out there anyway, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to work when I'm thirty.

What I've narrowed it down to is Ray(mond?) Edie J_____ or Tobias Guthrie (or some other middle name I happen to like better) J_____. Name One honors my family because Uncle Ray (although he died before I was born) was one of my favorite relatives on my mom's side. Great stories about him... he was kind of a wild ass, actually. Also, my initials would stay the same: R E J______, and that honors my paternal grandfather and uncle. I was named specifically to have their initials so that someday I could hopefully be Dr. R E J______ III. Both of their middle names are Edie, after my grandpa's mother. So, although it's still a woman's name, it honors my favorite grandpa and my uncle.

Name Two... well, Tobias is a name that I've liked forever. It was attached to one of my favorite book characters ever, who I really identified with. Long back story, but he gets trapped as a hawk and so is a boy trapped in the wrong body. :happy:

Advice??? I trust you guys.... :heehee:

Tobie
10-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I love the name Tobias, almost named my baby that. :D

ZenFrost
10-12-2007, 07:49 PM
I love Tobias too. Really really love that name.

Was the book you mentioned Animorphs?

Tobie
10-12-2007, 08:12 PM
So I'm not crazy, it DOES sound like one of the Animorph books.. glad I wasn't the only one to think that. ;)

Syr_SwitchyGQ
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Caught me! :heehee: ...but all nerdy book references aside, I do love that name and have decided I'm keeping it. Screw the initials stuff... my parents are p*ssing me off too much to want to keep anything of theirs anyhow.

Edit: Actually, I like Name #2's intials after all... Tobias Guthrie = TG :D

ZenFrost
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Edit: Actually, I like Name #2's intials after all... Tobias Guthrie = TG :D

Clever clever. :smilep:

Anthony Jake
10-16-2007, 09:12 AM
all this discussion about the name Tobias!
My best friend for about 6 years was called tobias, we have unfortunately fallen out over something pathetic for the past year.. he is considerably good at holding a grudge despite my best efforts to make amends..
But hmm, the name tobias...
would u shorten it to toby?
and the TG thing is clever lol..

i like the name Jay, dunno why.. think i mentioned it earlier on in this post.. i wouldnt keep the name 'seth' forever, i think if and when i start to transition i would change to a totally new name..

Syr_SwitchyGQ
10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
all this discussion about the name Tobias!
My best friend for about 6 years was called tobias, we have unfortunately fallen out over something pathetic for the past year.. he is considerably good at holding a grudge despite my best efforts to make amends..

I'm sorry... that sucks. I'm too lazy to hold a grudge and get irritated when people waste time and energy trying.

would u shorten it to toby?

No. In fact, that was my main objection to it from the beginning... anyone who calls me Toby is gonna get a butt-kicking. :kickbutt:

i like the name Jay, dunno why.. think i mentioned it earlier on in this post.. i wouldnt keep the name 'seth' forever, i think if and when i start to transition i would change to a totally new name..

Aww... But I like the name Seth! oh well, Jay is a good name too, although it's definitely my dad's nickname. :rolleyes:

Anthony Jake
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Aww... But I like the name Seth! oh well, Jay is a good name too, although it's definitely my dad's nickname. :rolleyes:

yeh, seth's a good name.. but its a little close to 'steph' which is what i was and that is even closer to 'stephanie' which is my real name but i never liked it!

Anthony Jake
10-26-2007, 05:54 PM
i think i would change from Seth to Jake and have anthony as middle name so as to keep the A in the middle because well, i was steph angelina ... so yeh, if i keep the A in the middle it works with the rest of my family.. and besides i think Jake Anthony goes together doesnt it?

SirTrey
10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
i think i would change from Seth to Jake and have anthony as middle name so as to keep the A in the middle because well, i was steph angelina ... so yeh, if i keep the A in the middle it works with the rest of my family.. and besides i think Jake Anthony goes together doesnt it?

I think Jake Anthony is a GREAT name....goes together very well.....and sounds very strong.....I like it. **Trey**

Kieron Andrew
10-26-2007, 08:07 PM
I think Jake Anthony is a GREAT name....goes together very well.....and sounds very strong.....I like it. **Trey**

Ditto i agree

Felix
10-27-2007, 04:02 AM
Well most of you know the story my ex helped me pick my name after a lot of searching. It's unusual and there aren't many about :heehee: xx Felix :hugs: