PDA

View Full Version : I wish I wasn't so sensitive!

Taylor105
09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I hate that I can let the littlest things really upset me. There is this friend that I have who does not know I am trans. I'm sure she thinks I am a butch. I'm not ready to tell her yet. I met her on the net a couple of years ago through some collectors forums I belong to. That was pre-Taylor. We have been e-mail buddies all this time. Well, I finally posted a video just for her so she could see and hear me. She wrote back that I sounded nothing like she had imagined. I said what did you imagine? And she said your voice is so much higher than I thought it would be. :( I guess my voice is high. I try to work on it but what can I do? I mean I don't want to sound like a little boy trying to immitate his father. That sounds so unnatural. Oh well. Maybe I am better seen though pics than heard on video. But wait a minute! I love making vids so I guess I will just have to deal with it right? I just thank you guys for being kind and not telling me I sound like a girl. Hugs!

Kieron Andrew
09-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I just thank you guys for being kind and not telling me I sound like a girl.

im not just being kind, thats not my way....you dont sound like a girl to me

SirTrey
09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Taylor.....you are a GREAT guy....and your voice is FINE.....I mean that....We are all sensitive about one thing or another being transmen....We judge ourselves much more harshly than others do because that's human nature....but, dude, you come across just fine in your vids....and....while I am on the subject, CONGRATS on the good news....I was worried about you...and gave a big "woo hoo" when I heard that it was a good report! Your Friend, **Trey**

Tobie
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I think the sensitivity that transmen have may stem from, and let's be honest, being born as biological females and the hormones that come with that.

That aside, let it roll off your back. I can understand being sensitive about your voice - it's something I'm concerned about too, despite being told that my speaking voice is lower and that people are shocked to hear me sing high-soprano.

Taylor105
09-18-2007, 11:38 AM
LOL about the emotional bio-chick thing. It is that dreaded time of the month! Ugh!

Tristan
09-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I think the sensitivity that transmen have may stem from, and let's be honest, being born as biological females and the hormones that come with that.

That aside, let it roll off your back. I can understand being sensitive about your voice - it's something I'm concerned about too, despite being told that my speaking voice is lower and that people are shocked to hear me sing high-soprano.

I think I agree with that. Heh. My boyfriend hopes that t therapy will "cure" my liking lifetime movies. Lmao. And I'm with Kieron, Taylor, you did not sound like a chick to me on you tube, and not all men have really deep voices. I heard about a lawsuit going on because a guy's bank refused to give him info about his account over the phone because they were convinced he was female on the phone, and he was a bio guy with just a high pitched voice.

CaptLex
09-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't think your voice is girly, Taylor. It's high, but I know plenty of guys (GMs) with high voices - including two attorneys that work with me.

P.S. Tristan, I'm hoping the T will cure that Lifetime thing too. :heehee:

Cai
09-18-2007, 02:40 PM
You suppose T might cure me of my desire to knit? :heehee:

Taylor, really, you sound fine. I didn't think your voice sounded high pitched at all.

Taylor105
09-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I love Lifetime movies too. lol It is annoying the commercials for Lifetime say "Lifetime, television for women". How sexist is that? And my roomie Craig gets called ma'am on the phone all the time. hehe

Laurie909
09-19-2007, 11:58 PM
I guess my voice is high. I try to work on it but what can I do? I mean I don't want to sound like a little boy trying to immitate his father. That sounds so unnatural. Oh well.

Taylor you can sound like a man without trying to imitate Barry White.....if you get my drift.

Taylor105
09-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Taylor you can sound like a man without trying to imitate Barry White.....if you get my drift.

Nope. I didn't catch your drift. How can I lower my voice and not sound stupid? Do you have any ideas? I think I am a weirdo because I am happy when I catch a cold because my voice lowers. I just started getting congested last night. It might be a good time to make another video. haha

DanielMacBride
09-20-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree with the others Taylor, you totally don't sound like a girl! If you want to know what that sounds like you oughta hear me LOL ;) I know plenty of guys who don't have very deep voices.

The only thing I can suggest if you want to try to naturally deepen your voice, is to listen to music sung by guys, and to try to match the pitch as you sing along. This takes practice (and hurts your throat while you get used to your vocal cords and your throat working in a different way and kinda stretching) but once you can match the lower pitch and you are used to it, you can use it all the time :) I have been doing this a lot, and my therapist (who hasn't seen me for 2 weeks) noticed today that my voice is sounding noticeably lower pitched :)

Daniel

Albtraum
10-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Haven't heard your voice Taylor, but I wouldn't worry about it either, like you said, you can't do much about it. Ever heard the Serenity Prayer? I'm not real religious but here goes:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things
I cannot change, the courage to change the things
I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Works for a lot of areas in a person's life. Seems like everybody thinks they're too fat/skinny. Straight haired people spend good money to get perms and curly haired people pay to get their hair straightened. Life's funny that way.

Peace

Dasein9
10-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Eh, I get sir-ed when people see me, but almost always ma'am-ed on the phone, and I have a fairly low voice. Some of it is inflection, but that's a very difficult thing to learn. Women tend to have more animated ways of speaking, and men tend to use a more monotone voice. When I'm unsure of passing, I'll sometimes slip into taciturn mode, just in case. (Those who have met me may find this difficult to believe. That's just 'cause I'm comfortable around you guys. :D)

Cai said recently that singing in a lower voice seems to help, but if singing is something you do well, then it may spoil your voice.

Taylor105
10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the wisdom.