PDA

View Full Version : A follow up to the email I got!!!

Billijo49504
09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Ladies, A few days ago, I posted that I recieved a email, inviting me to join the team, at Lane Bryant. Well today I did it. I printed out 3 copies of the application and filled them out last night. This morning I put on a nice guy's shirt and my new nice LB jeans. Out the door I went. I went to all 3 LB stores in town and left a app. The first store, I hope I get that one, told me how many men work for LB, in the stores. The 2nd one, the manager that hires had left for the day. But I talked to the assistant manager. She asked why I was applying there, so I showed her the email invitation. At the 3rd store, Mary was very nice, and told me that the interviews would start in a couple weeks. One pointed out that the pay wasn't that great. But I told her I was getting a pension, and this would be extra money. So I guess it now is up to the LB gods, if I get hired....BJ

Jenna1561
09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I wish you the best of luck in landing a position with LB. I hope you don't mind my asking, but, if you are offered a position, would you ask about working enfemme, or do you plan on working as a man?

Jenna

Karren H
09-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Cool!!! Discounts for all your friends?? :D

Karren

SandyR
09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
She did it again, Karen beat me to the line hehehe, but really friends do get discounts to right??????

Good Luck

SandyR

Billijo49504
09-18-2007, 06:37 PM
I think employees get 40% and I'm not sure if I can get the discount for the wife, but she gets the discount for me at her work, Avenue. Is that working bopth sides of the street...BJ

Jodi
09-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Billijo, I got my start at New York & Co (then called Lerners) in just about as strange a way. I knew the manager. She asked me if I would apply as she had been trying to get a guy in the store for a long time and had not had any appropriate applicants. Mine was to be just for the Christmas season. I had the deal with my manager that--if it wasn't working out to tell me and i would leave. After the Chrtistmas season, she asked me to stay on as permanant part time staff.

Although I knew nothing about retail when I started, my manager told me that I brought to the store everything that she could not teach a new employee. These things were: a work ethic, dependability, maturity, good communication skills, customer service skills, etc. She could teach me everything else I needed to know. They also liked having me in the store in the evening--this being a security thing. One has to work a few evenings in a mall to see some of the weird stuff that goes on. They also liked the fact that I walked them to their cars each evening after closing.

I'm sure that they will find out the same things about you.

A few words of advice. Know how to keep a smile on your face. Know how to laugh at yourself. Get the best pair of comfortable shoes that you can buy. The floors in a store are murder on the legs and feet. You will get very tired and your body will ache after working a 10 or 12 hour shift. Yes, I said 10 or 12 hours. I worked a number of 12 hour shifts that I had not planned on doing. What happens when a little 18 year old twit calls off at the last minute or is a no-show. You are asked to stay. If you want to continue in your employment, you will stay with a smile on your face, and continue to work just as hard even though you are dead tired.

I have seen many fantasies on this board about working in a women's clothing store. It can be fun work, but, believe me, it is very tiring work. There is a lot of back breaking work done behind the scenes that can wear you out. As I stated earlier, the legs and body get very tired.

Keep in mide that your are being hired as Christmas help. There is no guarantee that you will be kept on after Christmas.

I enjoyed my two years there, but I can tell everyone. I would not have wanted to do it for a career--especially at $6.50 and hour, the oddball schedules, the pressures to make the daily sales goals, and the long hours during the holiday season.

Good luck on your

occdresser
09-18-2007, 07:22 PM
I think employees get 40% and I'm not sure if I can get the discount for the wife, but she gets the discount for me at her work, Avenue. Is that working bopth sides of the street...BJ

hey! Avenue, thats where I got my dress for my avator:heehee:

DarcyAnne
09-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I also submitted my resume to the local LB store. The manager said she would keep it on file, as she just hired her 1 holiday employee, but was happy to keep me in mind if something came up :)

Billijo49504
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the good advice Jodi, I see how tired my wife is when she gets home from WORK. She has made sure I know how hard it is. Especially dealing with some members of the public, scammers and shop lifters. But she has got me partly trained. I know how to fold shirts and the hangers are all facing the same way, you know what I mean. I think Michigan is at $7.25 hr
Thanks everyone for the good wishes on getting a job there. If I'm lucky I'll do well. If not, I won't get called....BJ

angelfire
09-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Good luck with the position. I had a job a few months ago at Liz Claiborne. I was the only guy who applied for the shipping position, so I got hired. It was pretty good, the people I worked with her great. The manager was nice, but kind of deceptive (I was told in the interview I'd be making more than I was). I got minimum wage ($8.00 here). I got offered a job with higher pay & hours, so I jumped on that.

Never bought anything, but we did get a discount. I don't think it was a specific %, but I think we got it pretty much for cost.