PDA

View Full Version : Dudes at Southern Comfort

Thora
09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok guys. I know I'm an old lady posting in a man's world. But I have a cool story to tell.

I went to Southern Comfort Conference in Atlanta Georgia. There were more trans-men there than there ever were. It was great to see y'all. Did any of you attend? ...well, here's my story.

After the big dinner on Saturday night we were walking out of the ballroom. In the pre-function area, some of the trans-men were standing on a small stage. They started calling up other trans-men. Cameras started flashing. More trans-men joined. Eventually there were about sixty trans-men on stage hamming it up for the many people with cameras. (I had taken my own camera to my room and returned earlier. Oh, how I wish I had it with me.)

You guys pass like us old ladies wish we could. After fifty-one years of testosterone poisoning (yes, to some of us it IS poison.) I'll never pass completely. All in all I've only ever known three F2M.

I gotta tell you. It was inspiring. I stood there in my favorite little black dress and just watched. If that many TG men can get together and "be the guy" there is hope that we can all get together.

Here's to ya dudes. Let's see more F2M at next year's SCC.

Kieron Andrew
09-19-2007, 05:18 AM
I hoping to go to SCC next year, I hope other boys who can afford to go will go too, come boys some of you must be able to go with me :) http://www.sccatl.org/ check back here for next years dates

Adam
09-19-2007, 05:30 AM
sounds well cool :D

Taylor105
09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Atlanta is only an hour and a half from here!! I wish I had known about this. I would have gone to it!

Kieron Andrew
09-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Atlanta is only an hour and a half from here!! I wish I had known about this. I would have gone to it!

well keep an eye out for next year's date and i'll try to go too

ZenFrost
09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Huh, I never knew about it. I'll see if I can get there next year. It sounds pretty cool.

Taylor105
09-20-2007, 07:03 AM
well keep an eye out for next year's date and i'll try to go too

Kieron!! That would be so kick ass, bro! I know I will never get to over over to your side of the globe so it would be awesome for you to come here. I would love to meet you in person!

Valeria
09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
I only attended one day of SCC (Saturday), but I spent a fair amount of time with trans guys. I actually know a lot of trans men, mostly from lgbt/lesbian/feminist/gender related activities around town. I've commented before on the irony that I meet more trans men than trans women in lesbian/feminist spaces.

Anyway, I went to have a free followup with my surgeon, but while I was there I had lunch with a trans girl that goes to school with me. Then we went to a genderqueer seminar with some trans guys that go to school with us, I spoke some with the Lamda Legal lawyer that is in charge of handling TS issues nationwide (also a trans man that lives in Atlanta), and I had a long chat with one of the trans men that was at the genderqueer discussion (he wanted my views on how it went, and how next year's discussion could be better).

The amusing thing is that all the people with whom I spoke for more than a few minutes were locals. In fact, I spent most of my time talking to people who were already programmed into my cell phone, and whom I'd already seen earlier in the week. :p

But if any of y'all come to SCC next year, I'd love to say hi! There are a lot of men who post to this forum that I like a lot. Also, I can introduce you to some of the locals, and I know a lot of the good places to eat around here. :happy:

Kieron Andrew
09-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I only attended one day of SCC (Saturday), but I spent a fair amount of time with trans guys. I actually know a lot of trans men, mostly from lgbt/lesbian/feminist/gender related activities around town. I've commented before on the irony that I meet more trans men than trans women in lesbian/feminist spaces.

Anyway, I went to have a free followup with my surgeon, but while I was there I had lunch with a trans girl that goes to school with me. Then we went to a genderqueer seminar with some trans guys that go to school with us, I spoke some with the Lamda Legal lawyer that is in charge of handling TS issues nationwide (also a trans man that lives in Atlanta), and I had a long chat with one of the trans men that was at the genderqueer discussion (he wanted my views on how it went, and how next year's discussion could be better).

The amusing thing is that all the people with whom I spoke for more than a few minutes were locals. In fact, I spent most of my time talking to people who were already programmed into my cell phone, and whom I'd already seen earlier in the week. :p

But if any of y'all come to SCC next year, I'd love to say hi! There are a lot of men who post to this forum that I like a lot. Also, I can introduce you to some of the locals, and I know a lot of the good places to eat around here. :happy:
If you know of transmen in Atlanta and the surroundings put them in touch with Taylor will you!! hes been looking for guys as he didnt know where too look and who to ask

Valeria
09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
If you know of transmen in Atlanta and the surroundings put them in touch with Taylor will you!! hes been looking for guys as he didnt know where too look and who to ask
The best source for LGBT info about Atlanta is SoVo:
http://www.southernvoice.com/index.cfm

There are events like drag king shows (that often have trans guy performers and followers) pretty often in Atlanta. There is an event this weekend with a trans guy doing "boylesque" (I don't really know the performer, but he's a friend of a friend and sat right behind us at the genderqueer seminar on Saturday):
http://www.southernvoice.com/2007/9-7/arts/feature/7416.cfm

I've also met at least 3 different trans men in the past year at Charis Books events like this:
http://charis.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=storeevents&eventId=356948

A lot of the local guys seem to know each other (probably from various events like the above), so I suspect that once you meet one or two of them you can probably get introduced to more of them. My girlfriend that I was sitting with knows a lot of the same guys I know, but she met them in a different way. I think she met some of them at a local trans youth group.

If Taylor contacts me, I can see about putting him more directly in contact (but going to events like the above, he will be able to meet other trans men).

Kieron Andrew
09-20-2007, 01:00 PM
The best source for LGBT info about Atlanta is SoVo:
http://www.southernvoice.com/index.cfm

There are events like drag kings shows (that often have trans guy performers and followers) pretty often in Atlanta. There is an event this weekend with a trans guy doing "boylesque" (I don't really know the performer, but he's a friend of a friend and sat right behind us at the genderqueer seminar on Saturday):
http://www.southernvoice.com/2007/9-7/arts/feature/7416.cfm

I've also met at least 3 different trans men in the past year at Charis Books events like this:
http://charis.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=storeevents&eventId=356948

A lot of the local guys seem to know each other, so I suspect that once you meet one or two of them you can probably get introduced to more of them.

If Taylor contacts me, I can see about putting him more directly in contact (but going to events like the above, he will be able to meet other trans men).

Thanks Kehleyr....we now return our regular programing lol

Thora
09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Kieron, If you come to Atlanta for the Southern Comfort Conference 2008, let me know. First off, you're a cool dude. I've been reading posts for a while. I'td be good to meet you. Second, you are wise in the ways of the force. I would like to talk to you about transmasculine issues. I work with an ERG at GM sometimes. We have a LOT of employees. That means we have a lot of transmasculine employees also. The lgbT (yes TEE) affinity group doesn't have any "obvious" people in it. We represent them too. Now I'm not offerin' ya a job dude. I'm just lookin for advice. I was the first trans-woman, or trans-anything, that they found (we had the snares out for years, then suddenly there was this Thora woman in there one morning. Lookee, Lookee we found one!!! (It was toooo funny)) Send a PM if you want.

It would be a pleasure to meet you young man.

Taylor105
09-21-2007, 11:32 AM
This is awesome. I would love to be able to have some friends in my area. :)

Kieron Andrew
09-21-2007, 11:34 AM
This is awesome. I would love to be able to have some friends in my area. :)

send Kehleyr a PM then dude :D, glad i could help with the suggestion :D, and get going to the events lol