PDA

View Full Version : GGs at work think it's unfair that...

rachel_jean
09-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Gray hair makes men look 'distinguished' while it makes women look 'old'.

They were even complaining about the 'double standard'.

I thought it was good for a laugh or two.

Rachel Jean

Christine St James
09-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Doesn't distinguished usually equate to a nicer form of old anyway?

Kieron Andrew
09-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Doesn't distinguished usually equate to a nicer form of old anyway?

oi dont ruin my illusion of being distinguished!!

RobertaFermina
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I got the impression that the 'laughability' of GG's complaints about 'double-standards' is unkind in some way....I feel it is rude and unclear as to what you really mean. Perhaps you can explain your view more clearly ?

That does not mean I agree or disagree with the belief in the double standard. My thoughts are not black and white on the matter.

I believe a gray-haired person with power will tend to inspire the judgment of others that they are distinguished, whether they are male or female.

I believe a person with less or no power will tend to inspire the judgment that they are simply old.

The underlying question and truth is, what have you done with your years of experience, and what do you have to show for it ?

The fallacy is in the idea that achievements in the workplace are sufficient to judge a person. In fact, they are a subset of the worthy achievements in life.

Finally, all judgments say as much or more about the person who judges than they do about the person judged.

People who are distinguished, distinguish themselves in many dimensions, not just appearance.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Brianna Lovely
09-19-2007, 06:03 PM
As I've just made the decision to let my hair grow, it's been buzz cut for about ten years, I have an opinion in this area.

Three weeks ago I had my brows shaped and asked Jen if about my hair. Since it's salt and pepper, I thought it should be dyed, but she said I would look good with the silver streaks in my hair. I will have to give this some thought.

Distinguished or old?

After my salon appointment, I went out of town for a long weekend. I met two lovely women, in their 70's, and both had long silver-gray hair, down past their shoulders. I think they both looked beautiful.

I went shopping in a local discount clothing store and the cashier complimented me on my clothing choices, a few tops and skirts and some jewelry. As she rang up my items, I couldn't help but notice how well she presented herself. She caught me smiling at her, and said, "I'm eighty four years old and my feet are killing me, but I like your style, enjoy yourself". I said thank you, and complimented her on her jewelry. She laughed and said, "You'll get there, just keep picking the pieces you like".

I don't think our age or appearence makes us "old", but rather, how we feel about ourselves, makes us "shine", in our own special way.

angelfire
09-19-2007, 06:23 PM
I got the impression that the 'laughability' of GG's complaints about 'double-standards' is unkind in some way....I feel it is rude and unclear as to what you really mean. Perhaps you can explain your view more clearly ?

I think she meant it was funny, because we are always complaining about double standards, so it was a bit of an old switcheroo. Thats what I figured, anyway.

Karren H
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Screw grey hair on anyone!! I've been coloring my hair for years!! lol

Karren

LilSissyStevie
09-19-2007, 09:42 PM

Show them a picture of Emmylou Harris http://www.emmylou.net/

She's 60 BTW.

DanaJ
09-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Just wish I had hair :D I'll take grey hair over no hair any day.

Lilith Moon
09-20-2007, 04:44 AM
When my hair started graying I noticed a change in attitude among people...they started treating me as if I didn't know what day it was. Being extra helpful in shops when counting out change, stuff like that. I didn't like it !

So I started dying it the same color that it was originally and people started treating me like a normal intelligent human again. And I think I look ten years younger. :heehee:

RachelDenise
09-20-2007, 04:46 AM
I've been salt and pepper for the last few years. I go back and forth with it. Sometimes I like the look and others I want to dye it my previous color. I think women are right, there is a double standard. Men often look down upon older women with gray hair and wonder why they don't dye it! At least that is what I've encountered. Personally, it is all about how comfortable you are with yourself. If it makes you feel better then do it!

Rosaliy Lynne
09-20-2007, 08:59 AM
NOT.

When I managed a small retail store some years back and had my hair long enough to keep in a pony tail, women, young and old alike, loved my hair and told me so. Silly men with closed minds would call me gay because of my pony tail.

I did then what I do now en femme. I smiled.

Marla S
09-20-2007, 09:06 AM

They were even complaining about the 'double standard'.

I thought it was good for a laugh or two.

Rachel Jean
LoL, that's really worth a laugh or two.

Ok, some men look 'distinguished', but the vast majority looks pale, pointless, and old.

The very same holds true for women.

The double standard is a different one.

Women more often realize it when they look pale, pointless or old, men usually don't.

Sam-antha
09-20-2007, 09:11 AM
It might be a bit off beam, but I do thinkthat Marla's post sums the thing up beautifully. Especially the two words ; "Pale and Pointless". consider also that these two words apply to the majority of men from middle age on.

DeeInGeorgia
09-20-2007, 09:21 AM
All through my 20's and even to today at 52, I am mistaken for a younger person.

Do you have any idea how women ignore non-masculine men that they think are younger than they are (even if the man is 5 or ten years older than they are). From my experience, most of the population of women.

I thought that my wig makes me look my age (in the mirror) but looking at my most recent picture, that may not be the case.

Dee

Vieja
09-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Having finally achieved "Old Fart" (79) status and never having paid much attention to my hair color, only grateful that I still have it, and after reading some of the responses here I had to go look in the mirror to see if I looked feeble or pointless. Naah I look just like me with gray hair.

Retired with gray hair and loving it.

Vieja

trannie T
09-20-2007, 11:58 AM
I started turning grey at a very young age and it has never bothered me. I know a few very attractive women with grey hair. So do I have any wigs with grey hair? Hell no! Brown, blonde and red.

Billijo49504
09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't understand, grey is just another shade of blonde. And blondes are supposed to have more fun.. Hmmmm!!!BJ

rrebrandt71
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I have thought about blending my hair more since I am salt and pepper but personally I like a woman and man with salt and pepper hair. For me I especially like it because I know how I got it and I earned every one ot the gray hairs. So I guess I'll keep it look for a wig someday

Christine XX
09-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I'll trade my bald for anyone elses grey anytime they want :)

-Christine

Kendra Irene
09-20-2007, 02:51 PM
My wife has been trying to get me to die my hair for years - Seeing my grey hair makes HER feel old.:eek:
The other day she brought it up again, while we were shopping. Minutes later we were in the hair products isle. She gives me a funny look and says "The men's dyes are over there." My comment back was, that there was only three colours in mens and I wanted something close to the colour of Kendra's wig.:D
On that note, the grey hair issue died rather quikly.:heehee:
Maybe next time.:devil:

Kendra

Lotte L
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Well, my two GG gray girlfriends looks realy great . My sun (only 30) told me he met one of them at the mall the one with the lovely face and the real nice hair.

Lotte

Sweet Cindy
09-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Wigs don't go grey! :tongueout

Rebecca-L
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I'll trade my bald for anyone elses grey anytime they want :)

-Christine

I agree. Better grey than gone!

Jodi
09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Screw grey hair on anyone!! I've been coloring my hair for years!! lol

Karren

So have I Karren. My stylist recommended that I start doing it about 15 years ago. Noone has ever seen me with gray hair. BTW, it is totally gray under that nice mousey brown.

Jodi

rachel_jean
09-21-2007, 01:56 PM
I think she meant it was funny, because we are always complaining about double standards, so it was a bit of an old switcheroo. Thats what I figured, anyway.

You nailed it AngelFire.

I was really just referring to their idea of a 'double standard', hair color wasn't the real issue. Sorry if I offended anyone.

FWIW, I'm in my mid-forties with a bit of gray, but, it doesn't bother me.