PDA

View Full Version : The 'femmy' voice

Suzy Harrison
09-21-2007, 06:26 AM
For the girls who get out in public - how do you cope with speaking with a feminine voice. I've been practicing but can't get it right, even though my normal voice is farly soft anyway.

Does anyone have any hints on the way to gain the perfect voice?

christina marie
09-21-2007, 06:44 AM
practice practice practice! try to whenever i am alone,to the point that i have to make a concentrated effort to remember to use my male voice in public. am a bit obsessive-compulsive though.

Wenda
09-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Try a search on this forum. There have been a lot of discussions. Also try this: http://www.looking-glass.greenend.org.uk/voice.htm, or this one http://www.tsroadmap.com/voice/transsexual-voice.html w.

KendallM2F86
09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
practice practice practice! try to whenever i am alone,to the point that i have to make a concentrated effort to remember to use my male voice in public. am a bit obsessive-compulsive though.

scratch the OCD, (j/k babe!) but yes she's 100% right on this. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Kate Simmons
09-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Send in 5 box tops and $1.25 and get your handy dandy whiz bang female voice kit (hey, can't blame a gal for trying:happy:). Seriously, I agree with the other girls, practice. I used to have a book written by Alison Liang on how to speak like a woman but it went the way of one of my purges. I speak softly en femme to begin with, so don't bother too much myself. It's also a lot about HOW you say things as much as it is what you sound like.:happy:

Ruth
09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I just use my normal voice. I know several women who have about the same vocal tone as me (heavy smokers usually). And I tend not to say a lot to strangers when I'm out en femme.

Kim_Bitzflick
09-21-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree. Practice.

Funny thing. Last night I went shopping en femme. After I got home, I was talking with my wife in bed and she told me to start using my male voice. I wasn't trying to use it - it just came out.

Deborah Jane
09-21-2007, 05:49 PM
I,m trying it with an east european accent,[polish,etc]. they tend to sound a bit deeper....well the ones i,ve spoken to do!!

Dita_B
09-21-2007, 06:08 PM
I just sent you an email with some info about that course... It is very good...There are some voice samples on the site you can hear for yourself... try them and listen to them Sis...

Practice alone will not cut it in my humble opinion if you don't know what to look for and how to achieve it...

Here is the link:
http://www.genderlife.com/shop/transsexual_voice_feminization_video/ts_voice.htm

:love:Dita.

Veronica 1
09-21-2007, 08:19 PM
I like to listen to the girls at work and then when I get home and come to the forum, I read the posts out loud and try to emmulate the voice mannerisms of the fem voice.

Stephenie S
09-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Learning to speak in a more feminine manner is not easy, but it is possible. Think about it like learning to play a musical instrument or learning to speak a foreign language. Niether is easy, but both are possible for almost everyone. And both involve a LOT of practice.

There are a few CDs available to help. Finding Your Female Voice is one of them. Try a Google search.

Stephie

RobertaFermina
09-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I speak in a soft alto voice with a plenty of personality. It is the personality, more than the tone that puts people at ease.

It helps if you are a hopless "impersonator". I loved to impersonate celebrities....Richard Nixon, Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, Phyllis Diller, Carol Channing...these were among the favorites of "my day" and my brothers and I would spend hours with each other impersonating and telling jokes.

Now I can't tell you how I'm able to bend my voice, but it sure helped to make my voice "like" a feminine voice. One of those, can't explain it but I know what works, kind of things. So start out with Richard Nixon..."They say that one bad apple spoils the bunch, but *IIIII'Mmmmm NOT AN APPLE!", or LBJ doing "My Fellow 'Mericans"....Jack Lemmon is a good middle ground...he's a bit of a Tenor. Once you get that, then on to Joan Rivers...the female Rodney Dangerfield.

Pick a Celebrity (person with plenty of examples of her voice in the public domain) or someone you admire and work to mimic their voice. If you get close, tweak it a bit and make it your own. Have FUN!

Another approach. I took some voice lessons and learned that I could hit higher notes when I did not "Use my Chest" to power my voice. They call that "Chest Voice". It is distinctly MALE.

If I pushed air from my diaphragm through my head, resonating somewhere between the back of the sinuses, and the airspace in front of my mouth, then I would have a somewhat thinner, and still reasonably powerful voice.

Chest Voice seems to come from the Chest, from the Solar-Plexus. Head Voice seems to come from within the head. For me, I feel the sound resonating or "coming-from" above my upper palate (mouth). That's where I think it should come from. When singing very well, it comes from "in front of" my head, don't worry about that...stick to inside the head.

Once I established being able to sing ONLY in head voice (practice with a few songs by a favorite female vocalist) then I could try speaking in a sing-song, and then evenly.

The final touch is adding some character and depth to the voice without falling into chest voice or one of my male voices.

Hope something here helps ! The only thing to recommend it is it works for me.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Colleentg
09-22-2007, 02:48 AM
yes, practice, practice, practice. This doesn't work for everyone, especially the older generation, but years ago, I would emulate Franki Valli and others with that high alto (singing) voice. I thought I did quite well, even after some years of doing bass for the church choir! I think I have it down pat, cuz it seems to work in public, at least, I've not gotten any strange looks, even with female SA's in stores. Now I'm told I have a feminine laugh.

christina marie
09-22-2007, 09:15 AM
OMG why didnt i think of that? i do that all the time. if you like music, turn on the radio and sing! do that all the time when i am working alone in the shop(lessens the destruction of others ears). but it is good practice, and if you are listening to something you like, is enough of a distraction to let your natural voice come out and not something you are trying to force. good idea Colleen!

Mitch23
09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
not got the hang of it yet so don't bother - from talking distance I'm a guy in a frock anyway

mitch