PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get dry eyes from wearing eye makeup?

rachel_jean
03-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I've been wearing mascara almost all the time for the past couple of weeks, usually not even removing it a night. Just adding a bit more, as needed.

Recently I've noticed though that my eyes seem a bit dryer than usual.
I wear contacts and use regular saline solution, as eye drops, to keep them comfortable.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

When I dress and wear more eye-makeup, the same thing happens.
The make-up I'm using, is from a kit I bought, so it isn't the best. Could this be from using cheap make-up?

Those who've had this problem, does powdered eye-shadow, creamy or crayon/pencils work best for you?

Some may be due to colder temps & a drop in humidity as my lips dry out also, but, non-waxy lip balm works pretty well for them.

ThankX,
Rachel Jean

Sherlyn
03-25-2005, 09:50 PM
omg you poor girl ....i think it may be the kit mascara ...there are hypo allergenic types of mascara available perhaps you should try some of those im not sure of the brand names eyeshadows well... powder works best for me... i find creamy is too heavy lookin .... as for mascara i use maybelline xxL doesnt bother my eyes and it lengthens too : ]

Tristen Cox
03-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Honestly I use a wax liner for now, but I still use soap and water to remove everything and I haven't gotten dry eyes or any skin problems yet. Maybe a good idea to use moisturizer on them as much as you can. There's a beauty expert somewhere here that will give you better ideas.

Love
T

Tamara Croft
03-26-2005, 02:13 AM
I was going to write a list of do's and don'ts regarding make-up and contact lenses, but I found this instead.

http://www.transgendercare.com/medical/contacts_cosmetics.htm

Also, going to bed with make-up on and then topping it up in the morning is not a good idea. Flakes tend to fall into your eyes when you sleep, causing irritation.

Tamara x

Lucy Jayne GG
03-26-2005, 02:31 AM
I was going to say you should never sleep in make up,but Tamara beat me to it...Not only does it cause acne,but it can cause blochy un even skin.
Also perhaps using a better mascara would help...Lancome makes the very best,but Great lash is well...Great...I also would recomend never using water proof,not only could it irritate your eyes,but it tends to pull out lashes.

Lucy J

Carrah
03-26-2005, 05:50 AM
Huh, interesting topic. I say this because my girlfriend recently found she has catarac (spelling?) in one eye. Maybe the makeup had something to do with that? She wears those extended wear contacts, too. She has never had much luck with makeup; it kind of separates out during the day and has the appearence of being caused by blinking. However, like most women, she knows nothing about makup with respect to how it's made, ingredients, and so on. She is plenty familiar with brands and types, but that's as far as it goes. I can say the same thing for my x-wife - no clue.

Like I said in a previous post; women have a menstruel cycle every month and yet know nothing or precious little of what occures during this period of each and every month for decades and the same is true of their makeup - they know very little about it. I guess maybe it has to do with the history of women, but that was then and there is no longer any reason for modern women not to know all about their own bodies and the things they apply to their bodies. Here's a simple example; mens deoderant or anti-persperant functions precisely the same way women's does, yet mens products are much harder due to under arm hair. If a man used a woman's product, the hair under the arm would cause too much to come off and the product would be used up very quickly. However, in contrast, if a woman was smart enough to use a mans product, she likely would not have to buy another stick of deoderant for well over a year due to the absense of hair under her arm. It's the light bulb thing; light bulbs can be made to last a lifetime, but they are instead designed to fail over a specified period of time for economic reasons. Both mens and women's deoderants are designed to last a specified period of time based upon their intended usage. Still, with that, I cannot pursuade my girlfriend to use mens deoderant; she won't have any part of it. Odd. But, I digress...

rachel_jean
03-26-2005, 11:05 AM
ThankX All,

Very helpful link Tamara-GG with some good info, big ThankX.

I have extended wear contacts also, so I don't remove them when removing my make-up. That, plus the fact that mascara wasn't on your skin and it can be a pain to remove completely, without having red areas from rubbing to much or worse leaving black smudges behind, I'd just leave it on. No more, I guess.

I'll heve to get some hypo-allergenic mascara and a good remover and stay away from the creamy eyeshadows.

Rachel Jean