PDA

View Full Version : S/O Shopping For You?

Jezebel
09-23-2007, 02:01 PM
I guess I have a few questions on this topic.

My fiance and I went to a store the other day to get him some undies. It just seems so much easier to have me shop for his things for him as he's really uncomfortable about it all still. The only problem with this system is that I'm left guessing what sizes I need to get him. Do other people just get their S/O to do their shopping for them? Do you ladies ever go drab to shop and do you still try things on? I would almost think it would be too uncomfortable to be in drab and would be easier to try things on as a girl so that people don't recognize you...Do you ever get crap from people when you go shopping? I guess it might be harder for us in a smaller town.

Paula G
09-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Most of the things I have I got myself, with the exception of one shirt my wife bought me for Christmas and she asked me what size I wore beforehand. I will usually buy the items and try them on at home, if they don't fit then I'll exchange them. I've only had one problem with a salesman at a shoe store, but that has been the exception for me.

Ruth
09-23-2007, 02:44 PM
I buy my own things. I have no special problem buying underwear when in drab. Shops don't expect you to want to try on underwear anyway. I do prefer underwear shopping when en femme though because I feel at liberty to spend much more time going over the merchandise. Not that I am bashful but I know it does upset some people to see a man intently foraging through a display of bras.
For outerwear it really makes no difference. I often buy outerwear in thrift stores.

Sinthia
09-23-2007, 02:55 PM
About a dozen years ago a fellow worker ask me if I ever bought clothing for my wife for Christmas or her birthday, etc. I told him sure, all the time. Don't you. He answered that he had never bought any clothing for his wife in over 15 years, and did not know what sizes to get her. I suggested that he look at some things that she purchased recently and see what the sizing was on them. Later on he told me that he did just that, and almost got caught doing it. Whew!!! After Christmas I asked him what he got for his wife, and he told me he gave her a western blouse, that she mentioned looked nice. And it fit her great. She wore it all the time, perhaps because her husband went to the trouble to get it for her. So you might try going down that avenue and see what happens.

Zee
09-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Well, I shop a lot for myself, but my wife also likes to shop for me. Like you, she is often left guessing what I would like, what I wouldn't like, etc.

I have told her that I like to dress conservatively, black, pink, red and blue are my favorite colours. Then I say, "What ever you think is nice, I would most likely like" as she has impecible taste. I never worry about her bringing something home I won't like, but sometimes, she brings something home that I can't fit (I think she bought those items for herself and didn't want to feel guilty).

Ah well, I love my wife. Even if she brought something home I wouldn't like, I would still love it. She bought it after all.

Eugenie
09-23-2007, 04:47 PM
The only problem with this system is that I'm left guessing what sizes I need to get him.
I thought that it should be easy enough to take the same measurement as you would for a woman :happy:
I'm partly joking as I know that clothes sizes are often not exactly what one could call a science...:heehee: It takes some trial and error to finally get a better hint at which sizes fit you and which don't. And it varies by brand... But after some times one gets pretty close to finding the right size most of the times...

Do other people just get their S/O to do their shopping for them?
No, I shop for myself most of the times. My S/O isn't as cooperative as you. In order not to make her feel bad, I never buy women clothes when we are shopping together. This is very nice of you to help your S/O buying his clothes.

Sometimes a good friend of mine, and of my wife too, helps me with my shopping for women clothes (My wife knows that her friend helps me...). She has really given me some great advice and made me buy clothes that are much more suited to my age and body features... I look a lot less like a tart now…

Do you ladies ever go drab to shop and do you still try things on? I would almost think it would be too uncomfortable to be in drab and would be easier to try things on as a girl so that people don't recognize you...
Even though I sometimes go out “en femme” in the streets, so far I have only gone shopping in drab mode.

Do you ever get crap from people when you go shopping? I guess it might be harder for us in a smaller town.
I've never had any problem shopping for women clothes and underwear for myself while in drab. In a few cases I even asked the sales attendant to let me use the cabin to try a skirt or a top. Never had a negative reaction...

Anyway, it is very nice that you support your S/O in his shopping for women clothes. I hope that he realizes that… :happy:
:hugs:
Eugenie

Joy Carter
09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Well I have shopped for tops and pants at a local tall woman's shop. "Joy's Tall Fashions." :D I had two dresses altered at a tailor shop. All while in drab. However I buy all my other stuff on line. I'm just to well know in my area to buy in person.

BarbaraTalbot
09-23-2007, 06:18 PM
It is scary for us Cd's at first that is why we borrow and steal beforehand..:)

If you go with him, he has a little cover, but if your sizes don't gibe, it may make him look guilty and nervous.

A trick we use is my wife will hold something up and say, "what do you think will Barbara like this?" Problem is sometimes in my exuberance, I kinda forget code and say. "Oh, wow, this top will go perfect with that my black pleated skirt..."

I used to feel like a perve when shopping in Fredericks or VS even on Valentines day or Christmas for my wife, even if she was with me. (OK I am kinda a perv, but why did I ever think anyone assumes that??)

It is just conditioning. Keep taking him with you when you shop for you, let him see no one cares..

I got so bold after my first couple of shop-n-snatch runs that when Dee suggested I get myself a black bra at Target.... (http://barbaratalbot.blogspot.com/2007/07/fashion-outing.html)
I got one of my favorite shopping stories.

bridget thronton
09-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I generally shop for myself but sometimes my wife and I shop together (she does occasionally buy me things on her own as gifts)

Billijo49504
09-23-2007, 10:24 PM
The wife brings things home for me, from work. But as far as underwear, they can't be tried on. Now bra's, tha's a different thing, they can be tried on. As well as outer wear..:2c:..BJ

Alice B
09-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I buy all my clothing myself. In stores and omline.

juliek
09-24-2007, 08:19 AM
I buy clothing en drab all the time. And I always try on in the store. Last week, I bought a dress and came out of the dressing room to see it in the three way mirror.

I had to wait for a GG shopper who was using the mirror. She asked me where I was going all dressed up. I thought the dress was a fairly casual dress, but then she was trying on sweatshirt type jackets.

traceyanne
09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
ever since i started dressing many years ago i have bought my own stuff. my ex wife used to to tolerate me in undies but that was it, she wouldnt buy me or even accompany me when i was buying.
but now im married to a wonderful woman who accepts the way i am, encourages me and helps me out. we do all our clothes shopping together, which is great as my choices are sometimes a bit iffy. last weekend we bought a pair a pair of womans skinny jeans ( wasnt sure of them but they are great on ) and 2 bra's, seen a lovely grey patterned satin top in asda, we were not sure of the size ( im an 18 ), so she just put the straps round my neck and checked it against me rite in the middle of the store, my face was bright red, people round about were just laughing. so thats where im heading on saturday back to asda to get my top, and maybe somthing else if im a good girl.

tommi
09-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Try going to a store like Kohls and then just send him into the fitting rooms,
I do it and it's a great way to find how things fit and what size I actually can wear.:D
I think it's great that you would go shopping for him my wife sure won't.

Mitch23
09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
My wife certainly wouldn't do my shopping for me ;->

I always buy my own stuff and now make a point of only doing so en femme. The other shoppers don't care that I'm a guy and the SAs certainly don't. I can girlie shop, try things on in the changing rooms and make sure they fit before i take them home. If I'm unable to be en femme I have bought but it doesn't feel the same somehow!

Mitch

arani5879
09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Most of the time i shop I go with my ex because we are the same size so if it fits her it fits me. Though she likes to exclaim much louder then she needs that this skirt would look great on you or this top will go great with your insert item here. When thats not an option I usually just guess. I usually have someone with me though. While I love to shop a trip to the mall just isn't as much fun by yourself as it is with friends.

Michelle04240
09-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I love to shop and do it often. My wife is with me most of the time as thats just how we do things. She has gotten me things on her own, and I have shopped myself at times, always in drab. The only womens only store that I go into is Fashion Bug. I have been in there alone alot waiting for my wife to get her nails done.

I know my size, and have an eye for what will fit right. If I am in a store like Kohls, Sears, JC Penny...I will try things on in the mens area. I don't really care what people think of my clothing and have never had a problem shopping.

VTDresser
09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
We did shop together once and it was an awesonme experience....it was under the guise of shopping for her but half of the things we bought were for me. She did compliment me on my taste as I know what looks great on her!