PDA

View Full Version : advice on wigs

Ruby M
03-26-2005, 08:11 PM
I want to buy a wig on line, a couple of on line stores have both synthetic and natural hair wigs. In some cases the prices are comparable or just a little more for natural hair wigs.

what is your advice? Is a good synthetic wig ok? OR should you go natural if you can. ?

Do you get some bad natural ones that are inferior to synthetics?

Your advice will be maot gratefully received.

CindyT
03-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I have 3 wigs all synthetic and they are OK but the natural ones look much better BUT they are a lot more expensive!! One bad thing with synthetic is that they tangle easily so you need to be carefull when you store them. Also there is a special shampoo just for wigs, they are tricky to wash so follow the Mfr's directions closely when you wash them.

We had a discussion about wigs last week so if you dig around you may be able to find it, there were some good sources in the thread. If I can find it I'll post the link for you!

CindyT

Inredsatin
03-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Ruby,
First of all nice to meet you. I have both natural and synthetic wigs..Here are some advantages and disadvantages. I like natural hair wigs tho they are more expensive. With a synthetic wig you need to pay close attention to how it is styled as they are almost impossible to change how they are set. With a natural hair wig you can style these. My natural hair wig is hand tied. These are the best as they hold up longer. As with synthetic wigs the better the quality the better it will hold up. A cheap wig will look like a cheap wig.
A synthetic wig must never be put near heat...ie a curling iron or high heat hair dryer as they will melt. Another thing you need is to get a wig form to store it on when not in use. This will reduce both types of wigs from getting tangled and messy... I use a hair net also to hold them in place when i use a form..Good luck and I hope this helps.
Hugs
Brenda

timme
03-27-2005, 02:41 AM
I find that a natural hair wig is much better than a synthetic hair wig.The down side is the natural hair wigs are more expensive,but they last a lot longer than the stnthetic wig.A few hints style is vary important be sure to pick a wig style that will look natural on you.My experience is some wigs look better on you than others.If you buy a natural hair wig you can style it or get it styled by a someone.Try on as many wigs as you can before you buy. Find the right wig that fits your style.There are many wig shops tthat cater to T.V'S.
YOU GO GIRL
TIMME
ARIZONA

Lucy Jayne GG
03-27-2005, 06:22 AM
As the others said so eloquently,Natural wigs are better for styling,and hold up better then a synthetic.While synthetic wigs are cheaper,they Arent as versatile(unless you get a good one),and as Brenda said,a cheap wig looks like a cheap wig...One website I love is ,http://www.wilshirewigs.com
there is also this one,http://www.wigs.com
They both have a great variety and most are fairly priced,Im sure you can find something you like...
Some brands I would recomend are Revlon,Henry Margu,Jon Renau,Louis Ferre and TressAllure....
And If you are interested in a human hair wig,maybe you could try a synth/human blend,they last forever and you can style them...

And even if you decide to get a synthetic wig you can have them styled,Ive done this many times,sometimes to wigs I didnt even really like,and they always come out looking great.

either way you go,good luck,and I hope you find what your looking for.
Lucy J