PDA

View Full Version : Men and Women Relating with One Another

Holly
03-27-2005, 02:30 PM
A Note to the Moderator: I hope you will alow this thread to stay in the MtF forum as I do believe it directly relates to issues we as crossdressers face... however, if you truely feel it is more appropriate in the lounge, I understand.

The following commentary was aired on radio station KNX in Los Angeles on March 24th of this year and is produced by www.somthingyoushouldknow.net (http://www.somthingyoushouldknow.net/). Their program is carried on radio stations throughout the United States and you can get a listing of those stations by visiting their website ( http://www.somethingyoushouldknow.net/index.htm ) to see if it is available in your area. I was just curious as to what the rest of you ladies feelings are about the thoughts put forward on men and women and their relationships. Do you think that women should be encouraged to lower their expectations of men… that men not capable communicating with them at a level necessary to promote healthy relationships? Do you believe, as the author contends, that most women shame men for having inadequate communication skills that are not on a par with those of women? IMO, Mr. Freidman has a pretty low opinion of the capacities of men to relate to women in a meaningful manner… unless, of course, women are willing to compromise. All comments are welcome, particularly those from our GG members!

Mike Carruthers:
By definition, men and women bring different things to a marriage, but interestingly...

Martin Friedman :
The message that men have gotten from women - at least a lot of women - is that we're wrong. That we need to be more like women, we need to listen more like women, talk more like women and I think that's a mistake.

Martin Freidman, author of the book, Straight Talk For Men About Marriage.

The way that that is often translated to men is that we get more criticism and when men get criticism we feel shame. Men take criticism as shaming; meaning that we haven't performed, that we haven't taken care of our women and so on. So 1 of the things I really encourage women to do is let men communicate like men. Can we improve, can we listen better and talk about what we think and feel better? Sure. But we're never going to do it up to the standards of women and the way women do.

Men can't be like women, says Martin, because, well, we're men! So it would be helpful if women would lower that expectation.

So first of all, let us communicate that way. Secondly, let us perform and be heroes in whatever way we can. Men want to feel like heroes. And third we need appreciation. Instead of making us wrong and criticizing, we need a lot of appreciation. So those are some of the things I tell women that their part of this is.

At somethingyoushouldknow.net, I'm Mike Carruthers and that's Something You Should Know.

Priscilla1018
03-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi Holly,

Very interesting,but I think mr friedman is full of it. The night my wife and I first met we talked for about eight hours and have'nt stopped communicating for the past 24 years,and there is no end in sight.I realize not everyone has a love like that;we communicate on so many varying levels we almost know what the other is thinking.We appreciate each other for being who we are.
I think, as a crossdresser,I understand how women think and I am perfectly comfortable with women.Years ago my family would get together on holidays,the men in one room watching sports,the women in another room talking.I joined the women in their room and talked.When my family gets together at my home we all talk men and women together.Everyone seems to like this very much.

Love and Hugs,
Priscilla

Jen_TGCD
03-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Quote: Men can't be like women, says Martin, because, well, we're men! So it would be helpful if women would lower that expectation.

Ridiculous!!!

Men and women do communicate differently, true. However, both need to learn to communicate on a level that both can understand.

When I talk with my male friends... it usually consists of a lot of grunts, head nodding and a bunch of three word sentences. Sometimes it gets a little deeper but always ends with... ya know? That's when you get the head nodding and the grunts. But it works... for us!

When I talk to women (GGs), I have learned to listen... closely. Then you can tell if they just want to talk or are actually asking for a response, further discussion or an opinion. Eye contact is very important. Yes, it does require some effort but if you are truly sincere and loving, you do it because you are interested and caring.

Women need to learn, too. Men are taught to "suck it up" and hold in emotion and deep inner thoughts. They must be stoic. They are the protectors and the providers. (This is archaic, of course, but still deeply embedded in both men's and women's psyches.) It takes a man some time and a lot of trust, to be able to expose themselves emotionally. Sensitivity is often held against a man at a later time. Nagging, pushing and prodding... not good!!! Patience, time and TRUST are what women need, to open good communication.

Love, of course, is the answer to all things!!! With love, all of the above should come naturally with little effort.

Should women lower their expectations? Good grief... that's so lame! :confused:

Quote: So first of all, let us communicate that way. Secondly, let us perform and be heroes in whatever way we can. Men want to feel like heroes. And third we need appreciation. Instead of making us wrong and criticizing, we need a lot of appreciation. So those are some of the things I tell women that their part of this is.

This Friedman guy sure sounds like a Right Wing, propagandist, red-neck, sexist, lazy, uncompassionate and pathetic person that plays on the fears and inadequacies of his readers. :mad: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Julie York
03-27-2005, 05:47 PM
My head just exploded.

How can you defend men and be on a cross dressing forum?

Whatever the word is that means mysoginist (only spelled better) then that's what this is all about but the men version. There Is a word but I don't know it.

Men communicate just fine. They communicate really well and accurately. They happen to communicate in a different language which is why they spend most of their lives not knowing what the hell women mean. Just because women speak a different language does NOt mean men are all wrong. We've been given that crap for 2 decades now so we feel inadequate and somehow feel as if we did something wrong without even opening our mouthes.

Admit it. You know when your male pal is upset. You know when to shut up. You know when to cheer them up. You know HOW to cheer them up.

No more men hating nonsense please!

Prance about in undies, fine (hey I do!) but don't lose your intelligence over it by trying to be Barbie.