PDA

View Full Version : Sally Beauty Supply

StephanieT
10-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I need to start this thread by saying for me it is all about the clothes and some make-up. I have no desire to go out in public as a woman. I don't feel like I should be a woman. I really don't want to look like a woman( I have a moustache and it is a part of me). I just like to wear skirts, heels, have pedicures with color and wear a little mascara. I also like having smooth legs so I like to shave my legs. I don't like bras or panties, both are not comfortable to me.

Today I went to Sally Beauty Supply for some new nail polish. I bought Cherry Bomb which I absolutely love on my toes. When I was in the store, I did not feel comfortable so I wrote the following letter to the PR department at the US headquarters.

I wanted to give you some feedback regarding one of your stores. First let me tell you I am a male who is 51 years old. When I went into your store in Brighton Colorado, I did not feel welcome. When I went to the register with my purchase, I got a very terse can I help you. I gave the woman my purchase which was some nail polish and she rang it up. This is my second visit to your Brighton Colorado store and for both of my visits, I did not feel welcome in the store. This is not normal behavior for your stores and in most cases I feel very welcome in Sally Beauty stores. I have even been offered suggestions for products in many of your stores and also offered a Sally Card. This will be my last visit to the Brighton Colorado store even though it is the closest store to my home. Your store manager needs to realize that:

1. Men do spend money on beauty products and we do have a lot of money to spend.

2. Men do get pedicures. I get them regularly including wax dips and I do get color on my toe nails. My wife and I even have pedicure nights at home.

I hope your store in Brighton changes its attitude towards men in the store. This is a new world and traditional boundries are being broken every day. Who knows, some day it may even be acceptable for men to wear skirts and heels.

Jamie001
10-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Stephanie,

That is really interesting. I have live in Southern California (Orange County) and go to Sally Beauty in Lake Forest and other areas to buy nail polish and other items. One time in the Lake Forest store several months ago, the SA even complemented me on my toenail polish. It was just an "out-of-the-blue" compliment. I also go to Sally Beauty in Broomfield Colorado and am always treated with respect and made to feel welcome. I, like you are in male mode. I have long highlighted hair, dangly earrings, and womens open-toe sandals displaying my professionally pedicured red toenails.

There is one thing that I want to mention that I find is extremely important. Please don't take this the wrong-way because it is meant in the spirit of help. I used to have the problem that you described five years ago. The reason for this was the vibes that I was giving-off. If you give-off a vibe like you are unsure of yourself or that you are doing something wrong, you will be treated in a less than respectful manner because you are giving off these paranoid vibes. Everyone picks up on these paranoid vibes and you essentially get the same vibes back. It is like an automatic unconscious response for most folks. On the other hand, once I learned to just be myself and be rather "happy-go-lucky", personable, etc, I have always been treated with the utmost respect by both female and male sales associates. I go to beauty supply stores all of the time to buy toenail polish, and most of the time I get into a 10 minute conversation with the SA and she usually shows me what she is wearing and we discuss things like french pedicures with red tips, what nail salon is the best and why, etc. Many times customers in the store also join in the conversation. It is always some really good Pink Fog conversation.

Best of luck on future excursions,

:2c: :hugs: Jamie

StephanieT
10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I would not take you comments the wrong way. I walked into the store confidently. I went to the nail polish section and selected my colors. The SA wa busy with other people taking their money. I go to nail salons regularly and get pedicures by myself. I know how to ask for what I want. The SA in the Sally store was a predjudiced bitch. (excuse my language). I just want to be treated as a respected customer.

Jamie001
10-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Stephanie,
The person that you encountered in that Sally Store was most likely an isolated incident and I would not assume that every Sally Store treats its customers in that manner. Hopefully, you letter will cause the person to be reprimanded, (I hope you got her name) if not terminated. Please let us know if you receive a response.

:hugs: Jamie

I would not take you comments the wrong way. I walked into the store confidently. I went to the nail polish section and selected my colors. The SA wa busy with other people taking their money. I go to nail salons regularly and get pedicures by myself. I know how to ask for what I want. The SA in the Sally store was a predjudiced bitch. (excuse my language). I just want to be treated as a respected customer.

trannie T
10-03-2007, 11:53 PM
I've been to a few Sally stores, and while some have been very friendly and helpful one or two have been less than welcoming. I am sure it is not company policy but maybe they could use some corporate sensitivity training.

Jamie001
10-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes, the sensitivity training should come in the form of a pink slip. :heehee:

I've been to a few Sally stores, and while some have been very friendly and helpful one or two have been less than welcoming. I am sure it is not company policy but maybe they could use some corporate sensitivity training.

DanaJ
10-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Did the SA actually say something negative based on the fact you were a guy? Or did the SA just act sort of disinterested? Other than the terse "Can I help you?" was there something else that the SA said to you I didn't see in your story? Did the SA refuse to help you, or act very friendly towards female shoppers while ignoring you?

The reason I ask is because it sounds just like any other disinterested clerk in any store.

Bridgette T
10-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I think it also depends on the salesperson. I went into one Sally store near my house to buy some stripless wax for my wife. I had 2 of my children in tow. The sales person was rude and acted irritated that she had to help me find something. I suppose wanting to buy something was interrupting her day (the store was completely empty). I had been to the same store previously and was treated quite pleasantly by another associate. It may just depend on who you get, and how the day is going for them.

StephanieT
10-04-2007, 11:04 AM
The SA did not say anything negative because I was a guy. She was just not nice in her response to me. She was more friendly to the females.

sterling12
10-04-2007, 02:56 PM
NO ONE should have to tolerate bad service and surly employees. I don't care what persuasion you are, how you present, or what kind of day The Employee is having. Being rude or unhelpful is not acceptable!

You certainly did the right thing. If more of us complained and let these companies know that we won't put up with it anymore, the better off the World would be.

When I was young and working in Retail, there was one axiom: "The customer MIGHT be right or wrong, but they are always the customer!" My mission, was to smile, be courteous, and to help the customer, no matter what. I don't think that's too much to ask!

Peace and Love, Joanie

DianaGomez
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Yes, the sensitivity training should come in the form of a pink slip.
Exactly
NO ONE should have to tolerate bad service and surly employees. I don't care what persuasion you are, how you present, or what kind of day The Employee is having. Being rude or unhelpful is not acceptable!

You certainly did the right thing. If more of us complained and let these companies know that we won't put up with it anymore, the better off the World would be.

When I was young and working in Retail, there was one axiom: "The customer MIGHT be right or wrong, but they are always the customer!" My mission, was to smile, be courteous, and to help the customer, no matter what. I don't think that's too much to ask!
Exactly again.
No one's making them work there, they chose to. So they can give some nice friendly service even if Shrek walks in in drag. Or leave.

Angie G
10-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Way to go Stephanie good for you hun :hugs:
Angie

StephanieT
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I did get a response from the Sally Customer Relations team. They told me they could not find a store in Brighton Colorado. I pulled the information on the store from their web site and sent it back to them telling them I got it from the web site. Amazing that they don't even know where their stores are.