PDA

View Full Version : The Name Thing

ZenFrost
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM
So I talked to the family lawyer this morning about changing my name. And boy are there a lot of hoops to jump through. This is going to take a long time. I'll be lucky if it can get it filed by the end of the year. I need to send in my fingerprints and run a background check through the FBI (which can take 18 weeks to process) and a local place, and I need to publish a notice in the newspaper over several weeks, after I've done the fingerprints. And after all that I might (lawyer wasn't sure) also have to go before a judge. I knew this was going to take a long time which is why I tried to start back in August, but my mother kept having problem after problem with this and kept asking me to wait. Well I'm sick of waiting so I just called the lawyer yesterday to set up the appointment.

So I went in today with my dad (he's got the insurance through his job) and the lawyer asked if I was his son. I said "Soon to be, currently daughter," and she also thought I was a minor. She'd never done a name change before so didn't know exactly what to do and she also seemed taken aback by the whole TG thing. She wasn't sure what to write on the first form for the reason of name change. We wound up going with 'Dissatisfied with current name' which is technically true.

I'll keep you all updated on this but it's going to take a really long time just to do the first part so don't expect anything soon.

Pleh. I'm feeling pretty :dry: right now. (But glad I've finally started.)

CaptLex
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I know what you mean about the frustration of waiting. I'll have to wait at least another three weeks to find out if they'll change my passport - and this is the "expedited" service that cost me an arm and a leg (bloody pirates!). I guess the changes in homeland security is what's causing the fingerprint check (though I don't think they do that here in NY yet), but I'll never understand why anyone has to give a reason for changing their name. Obviously, they're not happy with it, or they wouldn't change it. :rolleyes: And if it's done for some nefarious reason, is anyone actually going to admit that ("you see, your honor, I'm wanted for murder and fraud in five states . . . ")?

Good luck with it all, Zen! :happy:

bi_weird
10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Dude that's awesome that you've gotten the ball rolling! YaY for you!

Tristan
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Congrats, dude! Here isn't too bad to change my name as long as I don't change my last name. Just file the petition and pay the court fees then wait a few weeks to get a reply from the court.

ZenFrost
10-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks guys. The name change process here is pretty awful and I'm very annoyed with it, but I gotta do this.

DanielMacBride
10-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Wow, I have it easy...all I have to do is file a form with my former name, my new one and the reason I want to change it, pay the $150 fee and wait a week or so for the certificate to arrive in the mail! Well, I am going to get my divorce first (been 10yrs since we separated so its just a rubberstamp thing now, but I have just applied for a copy of marriage certificate so I can get the ball rolling, I need one to file with divorce papers and ex had it I think - oh that and if I'm still married I can't legally change my gender marker down the track). So when I get the marriage certificate, I'm filing for divorce (which shouldn't take too long) and then filing my name change as soon as I have a spare $150 after that :)

Daniel

SirTrey
10-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Wow....It's easier in Ohio....I just had to fill out the paperwork, pay the court fee, take a form to a legal newspaper to be published, and you get a court date two months from when you filed....go before a Magistrate, and THEY decide if you get to change it (which I think is stupid since it IS MY name), but, they generally just say, "Okay, here you go, have a nice day"....But no fingerprinting or anything like that....but I am only changing My first and middle names, not My last....and I kept gender out of it....first step is to change the name only...then go from there....Good luck with your name change....I'm sure that ultimately, it will go well, and you will be able to go forward with your new name, which is a fresh start in many ways....My hearing is November 28 and I can't WAIT! :) **Trey**

Tristan
10-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys. The name change process here is pretty awful and I'm very annoyed with it, but I gotta do this.

I looked at NJ's procedures and theres was pretty awful too so I definitely am changing before I move. Keeping my sucky last name then too though cuz I don't want to be in the paper for six weeks.

Lisa Maren
10-17-2007, 03:58 PM
That is awful that they force you to be in the paper for six weeks. Talk about putting you in danger! I really can't believe that. I hope to Gawd that I don't have to do that here in California! My mother would have a fit about it, too!
Hugs,
Lisa

Lovely Rita
10-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Hope it goes smoothly for you. The first step normally is the hardest, after that impetus takes over.

ZenFrost
10-17-2007, 10:46 PM
That is awful that they force you to be in the paper for six weeks. Talk about putting you in danger! I really can't believe that. I hope to Gawd that I don't have to do that here in California! My mother would have a fit about it, too!
Hugs,
Lisa

The reason some states do this is to make sure that you're not changing your name to evade credit companies or something. This way, the credit companies can see your name change in the newspaper so you can't change it without them knowing. The whole thing sounds rather annoying to me.

Tristan
10-18-2007, 07:00 AM
The way people use credit reports using your social security number (which will show your name change) and stuff now, I think it's a bit dated and bogus. With the internet and online credit reports, I don't think the information is as hard to find as it was. Plus to be honest most of the people I owe money to are in states far far away who would never see it in the paper anyway. Which is why I guess I'll keep my last name cuz I can change my first and middle name without putting it in the paper where I live.

ZenFrost
10-18-2007, 12:23 PM
The way people use credit reports using your social security number (which will show your name change) and stuff now, I think it's a bit dated and bogus. With the internet and online credit reports, I don't think the information is as hard to find as it was. Plus to be honest most of the people I owe money to are in states far far away who would never see it in the paper anyway. Which is why I guess I'll keep my last name cuz I can change my first and middle name without putting it in the paper where I live.

It is way outdated, I just don't get why there has to be so much trouble involved. Silly, silly government.

Dasein9
10-18-2007, 03:28 PM

It is old-fashioned. I knew a woman who wanted to marry, but was already married and had been separated for many years. Her ex was being uncooperative about giving her so much as his current address. And she was getting impatient, as she wanted to marry the father of her children. So publishing it in the paper did the trick.

Sometimes, it's a help; sometimes it's a big pain in the ..... neck.