PDA

View Full Version : Is elvira tacky ?

charlie-50
10-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I noticed that one of the fox channels is running a program called the search for the new elvira and im sitting here watching this show right now and i noticed there is a lot of t-girls litting them selfs git drawn into this thing so i ask the question is elvira tacky or is it just the persona...personally i think the whole shtick is a little dated...charlie...:D

jaina
10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
The shtick is a little tack camp but was never intended as anything but that.:drink:

Sharon
10-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Elvira is meant to appeal to twelve-year old boys. She seems to do that quite well.

Tacky? Yeah, but that's what boys like. :p

Genevera
10-13-2007, 01:34 PM
She's a crossdresser LOL when out of character she's a Red Head and totally not recognised in public. As for her Schtick, Zacherly has been Zacherly since the 50's and still appears as Zacherly even today even in his late 80's possibly early 90's and still doing radio as last I heard.

For those who don't know . . . Zacherly was one of, if not the first of the Campy Horror hosts in the country. He was known as Zacherly
The Cool Ghoul, he DJ'd on WNEW FM in the late 60's when it was the Premier Free Form Radio station in the world. Back when radio was worth listening to.

Kris
10-13-2007, 01:44 PM
She's a crossdresser LOL when out of character she's a Red Head and totally not recognised in public. As for her Schtick, Zacherly has been Zacherly since the 50's and still appears as Zacherly even today even in his late 80's possibly early 90's and still doing radio as last I heard.

For those who don't know . . . Zacherly was one of, if not the first of the Campy Horror hosts in the country. He was known as Zacherly
The Cool Ghoul, he DJ'd on WNEW FM in the late 60's when it was the Premier Free Form Radio station in the world. Back when radio was worth listening to.

Is Elvira really a crossdresser? Are you just yanking my chain? I don't want to appear stupid if I repeat this, but I had no idea and really want to know. I think Elvira is BEAUTIFUL! Always have. In the 80's.. I wanted to look like her so badly!!
:hugs: Kris

Genevera
10-13-2007, 01:48 PM
She crossdresses from vamp to vampire LOL she is a GG in reality but looks nothing like here character :)

Wendy me
10-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Elvira is the queen of hallween.... lol if your lucky Halloween comes twice a year.... next your going to pick on the easter bunny..........

docrobbysherry
10-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Is she tacky? Of course Elvira is tacky. I LOVE tacky! It's my middle name! Wish I could be that tacky, sometimes!
RS

Lisa Golightly
10-13-2007, 02:53 PM
I love Cassandra Peterson, and Elvira is a classic 'camp' vamp icon. I have a copy of the '88 Mistress of the Dark movie which I adore especially the punk poodle Algonquin. :)

Kris
10-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Gosh, I was thinking DAMN... she is GOOD! LOL But if she is a GG.. it's not so amazing.. any of us, I mean ANY could look like a totally different person with enough time and unlimited resources. I wish I could look like Elvira.. or Morticia!

RobertaFermina
10-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Elvira Tacky:

Elvira or "just the persona" ?

What the Producers wanted to project was probably just the Body and the Sexy Vampiress Persona.

There's a ton of room in there to project various forms of substance.

I enjoyed the humor and playfulness of Elvira, though I wished for more of that "subsurface wink and nod recognition" of a wise soul playing a shallow part.

The actress did what she does best to give Elvira substance, and I love her !

If I did Elvira, (where do I sign up!?) I would bring all the substance I could while meeting the Marketing Goals of the Producers and Advertisers, and save the unfettered Charm, Wit and Wisdom for "spin off" productions. I see a sort of Elvira meets Morticia as my Ideal.

I love Tacky when the actor/actress connects with me in the knowledge that "this is tacky, and so what? let's see what we can make of it !"

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Veronica Fallon
10-13-2007, 03:16 PM
I think of Elvira as "timelessly tacky", & I love it!! :silly:
Halloween is a single night of freedom, to express other sides of ourselves which are normally subdued or denied. We get to freely express our monster-side, our super-hero side, our feminine-side, & yes, even our tacky side!! :heehee::rolleyes::heehee:

She's part of what makes Halloween so fun & I personally hope they find a replacement who is at least as tacky as her! :devil:

Peace, Luv, & Goofiness,

:halloween:Veronica:halloween:

tammysuetv
10-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I think Elvira is meant to be tacky too. That is part of the charm.

MJ
10-13-2007, 03:48 PM
I love Cassandra Peterson, and Elvira is a classic 'camp' vamp icon. I have a copy of the '88 Mistress of the Dark movie which I adore especially the punk poodle Algonquin. :)

oh god, me too she is great

Gosh, I was thinking DAMN... she is GOOD! LOL But if she is a GG.. it's not so amazing.. any of us, I mean ANY could look like a totally different person with enough time and unlimited resources. I wish I could look like Elvira.. or Morticia!

yes me too . maybe next year lol

Sedona
10-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Tacky? Of course! That's the whole point. She's also very GG. I agree with others, a GG Drag Queen. Love her!

Ðarissa
10-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't mind Elvira coming over here and giving me some tacky tips amongst other things. :heehee:

celtic.blue.eyes
10-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Elvira is meant to appeal to twelve-year old boys. She seems to do that quite well.

Tacky? Yeah, but that's what boys like. :p

My God, I must have some real growing up to do! I still find her fascinating and sexy:clap:!

battybattybats
10-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Casandra is either a GG or had a very very talented surgeon as there are some very old but definatly real nude pics of her out there from before her Elvira days.

She's done a few other roles too. I've caught her in one of the Pee Wee movies and she played the evil queen in one of the Allan Quatermain films.

I think she is awesome. Especially as Elvira. She plays with the role, sets up then makes fun of a range of stereotypes and has maintained a classic style of comedy that is rarely seen anymore. Her original gig, where she hosted some of the worst horror movies ever made (Like Robot Monster where the alien robot was a gorilla suit with a diving helmet for a head and tv antenna!) only to interrupt them at points and make fun of them. I loved her 1st Elvira movie Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. I haven't seen her more recent film Elvira's Haunted Hills yet but I read that it was co-written and co-starred by the writer of Rocky Horror!

When she heard that Monica Lewinski had been nicknamed Elvira at the white house she publicly challenged her to a televised mud wrestling match. Unfortunatly Monica didn't accept the challenge.

I always thought the main subtextual message of Elviras work was one of individual empowerment. A very 3rd and 4th wave feminist message.

trannie T
10-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Is Elvira:
Tacky? Yes
Bad taste? Probably
Dated? Yes
Fun? Hell Yes!
A Role Model for Crossdressers? Would you rather look like your grandmother?

Genevera
10-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Talking about reality shows . . . late october they are airing a show i can't remember it's name but it goes something like - There's something about (name forgotton) it's a reality show where several men compete for the affections of . . . unknown to them . . . A pre-op transexual. I think it might be Fox

MoonBaby GG
10-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh gosh...she's just *FUN* and that's all she ever intended the role to be. I'd love to hang out with her....what a blast.

charlie-50
10-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Is Elvira:
Tacky? Yes
Bad taste? Probably
Dated? Yes
Fun? Hell Yes!

That works for me...charlie.....:heehee:

charlie-50
10-13-2007, 06:26 PM
By the way if yall watch the show who do you think going to get the spot ...i saw a couple good ones in the pack....charlie...:heehee:

wannabie
10-13-2007, 08:53 PM
is elvira tacky or is it just the persona...personally

Elvira tacky???!!! Of course not!!!

She's the queen of halloween and she brings out the fun side of the day.

TxKimberly
10-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Sure she is, but to quote from a popular country song: "I like my women just a little on the tacky side".

:-)

Not really - just had to toss that out there anyway!

Monique Althea
10-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I can't believe nobody has pointed this out yet...

Elvira act was...er..."based on" a 1950's TV horror hostess named "Vampira"--in fact Vampira, whose real name is Maila Nurmi, sued Cassandra Peterson. More importantly, however, is the fact that Vampira was also cast in legendary crossdresser Ed Wood's classic "Plan 9 From Outer Space". In the documentary "The Haunted World Of Edward D. Wood Jr.", Nurmi described the development of the Vampira character, giving much credit to her extreme corseting and long nails. Wood must have noticed...

The Elvira character is as much a caricature of femininity as any drag queen. She's way too outrageous to be seriously considered "sexy" IMO, her exaggerated cleavage notwithstanding.

Veronica 1
10-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Is Elvira tacky, Yes. That is part of the charm that attracts all of us.

Karren H
10-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Not at all.... Matter of fact I know the new Elvira..... Or one of them... And she's a sweet heart and a beautiful person... and a hell of a makeup artist......

Karren

Sophie_C
10-13-2007, 11:25 PM
I noticed that one of the fox channels is running a program called the search for the new elvira and im sitting here watching this show right now and i noticed there is a lot of t-girls litting them selfs git drawn into this thing so i ask the question is elvira tacky or is it just the persona...personally i think the whole shtick is a little dated...charlie...:D

Dated.

Her thing first came out in the 80s.

That was 20 years ago.

sterling12
10-14-2007, 01:41 AM
I don't think that Elvira's tacky. I think The Fox/Faux Network coming up with a show to find "The New Elvira," is very tacky! But, then again it is Fox. Nobody ever claimed anything on Fox is ever going to look like Masterpiece Theater.

I'm sure she's a decent actress, but seems like I read somewhere that at one time she worked as one of The Showgirls out in Vegas. I think she understands her role very well, and is very good at "camping it up." I'm surprised she never became some sort of Gay Icon.

Peace and Love, Joanie

AmandaM
10-14-2007, 01:39 PM
She is a total babe!

charlie-50
10-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Not at all.... Matter of fact I know the new Elvira..... Or one of them... And she's a sweet heart and a beautiful person... and a hell of a makeup artist......

Karren

realy..witch one cause i seen a couple that would do a pretty good job i think...charlie...:D

charlie-50
10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Dated.

Her thing first came out in the 80s.

That was 20 years ago.

I could a thought it was longer than that....charlie...:D

charlie-50
10-14-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't think that Elvira's tacky. I think The Fox/Faux Network coming up with a show to find "The New Elvira," is very tacky! But, then again it is Fox. Nobody ever claimed anything on Fox is ever going to look like Masterpiece Theater.

I'm sure she's a decent actress, but seems like I read somewhere that at one time she worked as one of The Showgirls out in Vegas. I think she understands her role very well, and is very good at "camping it up." I'm surprised she never became some sort of Gay Icon.

Peace and Love, Joanie

IF you watch the show i realy didnt care for the way the network portrayed the t-girls on there...charlie...:2c:

Cara Allen
10-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Her name is Cassandra Petersen, and she is very pretty without the campy stuff, too!

http://www.elvira.com/

Joy Carter
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey, I get a grin and a laugh outta her. That's all she's trying to do. Nothing more.:D

I think it would be a total blast to take her out to dine, in a fine restaurant, while she was in character. :heehee:

Cara Allen
10-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Did you know that Elvira is 58 years old? I LOOVE that... she's older than I am!

TeriAnn
10-14-2007, 09:16 PM
My God, I must have some real growing up to do! I still find her fascinating and sexy:clap:!

If I have to grow up and forget about Elvira I don't want to do it, I think she is super cool with great looks and smarts. I saw Cassandra Peterson in Florida at a promotional thing she was doing she is just as pretty and nice as Elvira but that's my:2c:

Joy Carter
10-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Her name is Cassandra Petersen, and she is very pretty without the campy stuff, too!

http://www.elvira.com/

Casandra is beautiful. :love:

Karren H
10-14-2007, 09:29 PM
realy..witch one cause i seen a couple that would do a pretty good job i think...charlie...:D

Amanda.... aka Benebaby over on makeuptalk.... Seen the pod casts and youtube interviews... and there's supposed to be an upcoming ipod pod cast coming out..... She keeps us girls up to speed... lol I think there was a big party yesterday but have no read the entire thread yet...

Here's her thread on MUT - http://www.makeuptalk.com/forums/f15/hello-darlings-elvira-show-update-66097.html

Amanda it the hot looking one with the regular makeup... not over the top.. just plain beautiful in these interviews http://www.foxreality.com/video.php?videoid=335&mode=shows

Annesah
10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Elvira! Who cannot help but to adore her?

Joy Carter
10-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Did you know that Elvira is 58 years old? I LOOVE that... she's older than I am!

All the more reason to wine and dine her. :love:

Khriss
10-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Vamp..er..esses :eek::D
Gotta love em ..."it" hehe xx"K"

charlie-50
10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
If I have to grow up and forget about Elvira I don't want to do it, I think she is super cool with great looks and smarts. I saw Cassandra Peterson in Florida at a promotional thing she was doing she is just as pretty and nice as Elvira but that's my:2c:

Hey teriann!.. no girl im not dissin cassandra at all shes had a great career im sayin whole elvra thing might have been better left with one sexy leg hanging out of the coffen..lol hows that for the movie macabre.. CUT..charlie...:hugs:

KarenMichelleLuv
10-17-2007, 11:52 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Cassandra Petersen as herself in 1979/80 when she was being interviewed on the radio in Los Angeles as a member of "The Groundlings" comedy group.

I'm with BattyBats, She is awesome. Especially as Elvira. As far as I know, Cassandra has no qualms about her career choices or her life.

She is 3 years older than me and boy, did I have a huge crush on her...

Thanks for bringing back that memory...LOL

Wenda
10-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Wow. I stopped in at my favourite lingerie place today. The owner, who has challenged/invited me to a halloween party (see other threads) had asked if I had any leads on Elvira costumes. I had given her what I had.

Well, after we finished the actual business that I had dropped by for (nothing to do with lingerie), she asked if I had a moment, and went to a rack and brought a breathtaking long lace 'garment' with a lace-up front. I was breathless. I can't imagine her awesome breasts in the bra!
She had two concerns with the outfit: it didn't have a slit up the thigh (well if you can see THROUGH the garment, why do you need a slit???
second: wasn't sure if her hubby would 'let her out of the house in it" My response, "He's not going to be in town, and there will be at least two of us that are ****tier than you."
My new dressing coach and buddy, a dom, took exception to me referring to both of us as ****ty, but we will settle that later. If this lady shows up in this outfit as Elvira, you may have to check the obits. Not sure my heart can stand it.
If I survive that, I may not survive the wrestling match with the dom over who gets to sit next to her. w.

My Lady Marsea
10-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Elvira rocks. I sat through lots of dumb horror movies just to look at her and the way she moved. About 20 years ago some beer company had a promotion thing to meet her. I entered and really wanted to win that prize LOL. They'll never replace the real thing.

Kristen Kelly
10-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Trade Mark
Beauty mark (mole) under her right eye, black dress with the plunging neck line and slit on the right side, ruby ring, snake-shapped earrings, black fingernails, black pumps, the dagger she stores on her belt, and her bouffant hairdo.

Is she a GG Drag Queen.....no but many Drag Queens do impersonate her

One note she is a Strong supporter of gay rights

Angie G
10-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Elvira rules hun :hugs:
Angie

immike
10-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Is Elvira:
Tacky? Yes
Bad taste? Probably
Dated? Yes
Fun? Hell Yes!
I love her outfit&I'd love to wear something like it?

battybattybats
10-23-2007, 03:46 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Cassandra Petersen as herself in 1979/80 when she was being interviewed on the radio in Los Angeles as a member of "The Groundlings" comedy group.

I'm with BattyBats, She is awesome. Especially as Elvira. As far as I know, Cassandra has no qualms about her career choices or her life.

She is 3 years older than me and boy, did I have a huge crush on her...

Thanks for bringing back that memory...LOL

Wow! That is substantially cool!

If only I would be able to carry off that outfit! Unfortunatly I don't see how anything could be done about that plunging neckline.

Dixie
10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Elvira is HOTT!!!!!!!:D