PDA

View Full Version : Can't go out in public? Monkeys can help...

stef
10-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Well, new here to posting or not, I thought I would start off with a bang. Yes folks, I’m here with outrageous claims (and plagiarized ideas) that will debunk all your flawed reasonings behind why you are afraid of going out in public dressed in your favorite feminine attire.

David Wong recently wrote an article on cracked.com (yes, I know, not your most trusted source for information, but damn funny nonetheless) about what the Monkeysphere is. I won’t go into detail about it as you can read it for yourself (http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html), but I will pass along a few key points from his piece and condense about 3500 words into about 150:

1. Apparently, monkeys have a finite number of individual social connections which defines their groups. Anything beyond that number is generally either inconsequential or irrelevant to them.
2. Humans, by coincidence, share this same psychology. However, our sphere is closer to 150 individuals that account for each person’s linked group rather than a monkey’s 50 or so that makes up theirs. (We have a bigger brain it seems. Who knew.)
3. For possibly biological reasons, we have a difficult, almost impossible, time making deep emotional connections with those outside of this sphere. That is why, for example, we don’t usually give a second thought to the person driving the garbage truck or why we care more about our friend dying than 15,000 people dying from famine in Africa.
4. Taking this a step further, the reverse is also true. If we are outside of other people’s Monkeyspheres, they really don’t, nor couldn’t, give a toss about you or me. Though they might have opportunities to interact with us to different degrees, in the end, we are essentially non-dimensional, irrelevant and forgettable to them.

I’ve taken a lot of liberties and simplified things immensely, but there you have it: Unrelated and completely immaterial proof why we shouldn’t be afraid to wear our beautiful ruffled, black satin skirt with our white sweater set ensemble to go buy some WD-40 down at Home Depot. For a few people who have already embraced this idea that, hey, nobody really cares what I wear, this is inconsequential to them; I’m obviously preaching to the converted. For the rest of you, put on that little blue number you love to wear and step out of your car at the mall tomorrow, look at that those boys on the sidewalk holding their skateboards snickering at you and realize, they don’t give a crap about you anymore than you do of them. Hold your head up high and strut magnificently into a confident new life.

Er, unless of course you’re like me and you’re worried you might bump into someone from within your monkeysphere who doesn’t know your secret, then, well, forget everything I said. Me? I’ll just plant my ass in front of my computer for now where I’m safe. Someday though…..;)

(P.S. Regardless, the original article is an interesting and fun piece to read.)

Stef

Marla S
10-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Er, unless of course you’re like me and you’re worried you might bump into someone from within your monkeysphere who doesn’t know your secret, then, well, forget everything I said. Me? I’ll just plant my ass in front of my computer for now where I’m safe. Someday though…..;)

That's one of the most interesting things about sciences.
Discrepancy of theory and practice.
Theories are usually simplified views on the complex reality. If you don't take the boundary conditions into account, you could indeed bump into someone you know.:p

Veronica Fallon
10-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Cool concept Stef, I'd never thought of that before. Thanks for sharing it & entertaining us with your witty style!! :D
I hope you start posting more here now... I'd like to add you to my monkey-sphere!!

Hugz, & Prehensile Tailz,

Veronica

Nicki B
10-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Fits with my experiences... :)

Ðarissa
10-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Hehe interesting post Stef.

Er, unless of course you’re like me and you’re worried you might bump into someone from within your monkeysphere who doesn’t know your secret, then, well, forget everything I said. Me? I’ll just plant my ass in front of my computer for now where I’m safe. Someday though…..;) That there is my problem too, the paranoia of bumping into one of the so called 'monkeysphere' people.

docrobbysherry
10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
OK, now, I am hiding in the closet, inside my monkeysphere. Where my daughter's soccer coach, and math teacher can't see me!
RS

janet1234
10-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Tell us about Dubai. I looked at it on google earth after a friend told me about the awesome economy and development. Truly impressive. What are you teaching? My friend is in software project management, based in France.

trannie T
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Interesting concept, it is true in my experience, I do not go out (except at halloween) in my small town but I enjoy going out once I'm 80 miles away. The farther from home and from my sphere the easier it is to go out.

Melinda G
10-14-2007, 08:00 PM
I ain't no stinkin monkey!:D

charlie-50
10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
So are you telling us we need to buy crossderssing monkeys now!!!...just kidding LOL....i too live in a small town so chances of me coming out here are pretty slim...besides that im pretty shure monkeys dont care what kind of human clothes another monkey is waring i think it has somthing to do with evolution right...charlie...:D

Angie G
10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Nice post Stef I think you are going to get along well here hun :hugs:
Angie

stef
10-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Yes, I agree with many of you; it's not always what we know, but, unfortunately, who we know. Like most of you, I would love nothing more than to enjoy a romantic dinner out, leaving lipstick marks on my wine glass. But it’s a small world and I'm not prepared for the consequences, good or bad. Silly little monkeys...doing what they want, when they want. ...so envious....[sigh]

Tell us about Dubai. I looked at it on google earth after a friend told me about the awesome economy and development. Truly impressive. What are you teaching? My friend is in software project management, based in France.

Dubai is crazy, pushy, exciting, strange, beautiful, ugly and I could go on. It's a contradiction of itself in so many ways. We've lived in the Middle East for several years now in different countries, but this is our first year living in the Emirates. For that reason, other than work, I have a very small 'monkeysphere'. I'm really hoping to find friends to expand it soon. But the two of us are having fun and that's the important thing. What am I teaching? Primary school of course! Yep, the little tikes.

I will share more if you like, but some might say it’s off-topic in this forum and I don't want to ruffle feathers my first week posting here. If anyone wants to meet in the Lounge sometime for some cultural learnings, just let me know. By the way, crossdressing in many Islamic countries, UAE/Dubai included, is by and large illegal. Sucks, eh?

docrobbysherry
10-15-2007, 12:00 AM
By the way, crossdressing in many Islamic countries, UAE/Dubai included, is by and large illegal. Sucks, eh?[/QUOTE]

Isn't everything that is enjoyable and fun, illegal in the strict Islamic countries? Unless u r a man, of course, and your "perversion" is done in private? For women, I think everything is illegal, period. Very sad!
RS

stef
10-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Isn't everything that is enjoyable and fun, illegal in the strict Islamic countries? Unless u r a man, of course, and your "perversion" is done in private? For women, I think everything is illegal, period. Very sad!
RS

Yes, to most extent I do agree with you. In all Islamic countries there is no gambling (discounting their definition of driving), in some there is no alcohol, and in many there is no pork. But other than not being allowed to vote in most countries and not being able to drive in Saudi, most of the time it isn’t laws that suppress how Western society believes women should be treated, but rather it is the cultural norms of the people. I’ve had countless conversations with Arab women who will denounce many of their customs as archaic and misogynistic shackles. Many others praise the customs and like how things are without change. Most though seem to prefer the benefits of living with a sampling from both traditional and modern lifestyles. For example, some women don’t cover at all and others do (face or not). I’d say 99% like it: For young girls it means that they are now a woman; for many women they love the ease (sometimes they’re wearing a dowdy moo-moo underneath, sometimes they’re wearing $2000 worth of Louis Vuitton); for many women is embodies the Muslim belief that no person should be above anyone else, i.e., by all dressing the same it is an equalizer. I could ramble for hours on pros vs. cons: Front of the line benefits; horrors of polygamy; guaranteed support if divorced; yes, though some husbands can be abusive fu@ks in their home (not unique to just Arab countries though!), women are generally treated with the utmost respect in public (more so than in Western society); rape a woman here and you will likely die (we could learn something from that); and on and on and on and on I could go. Here’s the bottom line: There are some truly shitty things that don’t always make sense to me in regards to the treatment of women in Islam, but there are also some very admirable things I see in their treatment as well. Don’t always believe everything you see and hear from people about life in the Middle East. CNN sensationalizes a lot of things! Take a look at our predicament - here on this web site - look at the crap we have to deal with all over the world because of the ignorance associated with the (lack of) understanding of crossdressing. To bast-ardize some quote by someone else into my own words: Don’t ever be content with your knowledge, nor satisfied with your opinions, for that is what perpetuates ignorance.

But, yeah, aside from all my yammering, I agree with you.

-Stef

christid66
10-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Good points Steph and thanks for posting. It's facinating to know what really goes on in these countries and not just what Fox or whoever feeds us.
Mind you if I had to wear an Abaya, then I wouldn't have to worry about beard covering!

And as for monkeys.....I can't belive that I'm envious of an animal that throws poo!!

Nicki B
10-15-2007, 06:31 AM
That there is my problem too, the paranoia of bumping into one of the so called 'monkeysphere' people.

I think it depends how androgenous you are, normally? Many of us are pretty unrecognisable - especially when folk aren't expecting to see someone they know?