PDA

View Full Version : Poignant Moment on Oprah

livy_m_b
10-14-2007, 06:03 PM
As many of you know, Friday's Oprah was about families with transsexual mtf dads where the marriage had survived. Oprah did a nice job, as she often does, of asking the questions the average person would want to ask and being open and tolerant of her guests and our condition. There are other threads discussing the program generally if you want to comment on your experience of it.

There was one moment in Sydney's life that I found particularly poignant. That was when Sydney's wife commented on her changed experience of Sydney when Sydney went full time:

... Joan says she misses the man she fell in love with. "You know, once Sydney transitioned, that was it. My husband never came back. It makes me sad. It still does," Joan says. "It's not that my husband's left. My husband's still here. It is a really weird thing. You can't really close a chapter and move on. It's the same story. … The character hasn't changed. But how they look and how the act and how they sound is really different."

The phrase "My husband never came back" was particularly poignant. Joan recognizes that it's still the same person, but somehow it's different too. It reminds me of the story in that autobiographical book when a genetic male underwent electrolysis and lived as a woman for a period of time. He made a good friend in a woman who attended the church (s)he attended while living as a woman. When his exercise came to the end, he wanted to maintain the relationship with the woman, but interestingly the woman didn't want a relationship with him as a man at all and the relationship ended.

These different experiences of the same personality as man and as woman probably underlies a lot of the difficulties many spouses have.

Joy Carter
10-14-2007, 06:11 PM
A good observation Livy.

Myself, I have talked to a couple spouse's of TS's, and they were accepting of the change. They may have just been to guarded with how they really felt. They only commented about the change of dress, skin texture and such. Nothing about the relationship.

Katie Ashe
10-14-2007, 07:56 PM
I missed the darn show again, It is never easy for either spouse. It comes down to what needs can be met and will you be happy with the drastic changes, no two answers are ever the samefor either spouse

crunchysoda
10-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, I remember that moment, tears were coming down her face and one of their wedding photos was in the background.

I truly felt for her. I really cant imagine. It was a good show.

The couples are obviously special.

Vivian Best
10-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Does Oprah rerun these shows or put them on the web? She has had several that I would have liked to have seen but for one resason or another I missed them.

Calliope
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Joan recognizes that it's still the same person, but somehow it's different too.

Glad to hear the mainstream taking the topic with a bit more tact than in the past. Btw, all couples face substantive change through the years - as the hairy divorce rate in the US suggests. Judging from what I've seen and read, most women wake up one day, look at their spouse and ask themselves, "Just who is this person anyway?"

MoonBaby GG
10-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes, I remember that moment, tears were coming down her face and one of their wedding photos was in the background.

I agree...seeing their wedding photo during her comments tugged at my heart strings. :(

All-in-all it was a positive show about the two families' experiences. Unfortunately (as I've mentioned before) I don't think it's a topic that can be adequately covered in one or two shows. When it ended I had just as many questions (on the subject) as when I began watching the program. Your average audience or television viewer might not even grasp the scope of it all. Thank goodness there's a wealth of information to be found on the internet and in book form.