PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Depression

annekathleen
10-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I think I've recently fallen back into a mild depression
( loss of a job ) and I think the stress is starting to
take it's toll. My eating and sleeping habits are all messed up.
I've had my bouts of puking and diarrhea, blaming it on
bad food at Mickey D's, a stomach bug, and just plain nerves.
I'm starting to experience anxiety attacks like I went through
when I was divorced. I'll be at a bar, restaurant, relatives house,
and I suddenly feel like I have to be home.
And throw it some obcessive compulsive behavior
cleaning the house...
My blood work was messed up last time,
Triglycerides over 740!
Thinking of discussing all of this with my physician this month.
I never tell him about my crossdressing, or my obcession
with buying bras and panties off E-Bay.
I don't know if I can even return to any type of work right now, and am wondering if I am looking at some type of a social security disability..

docrobbysherry
10-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I was having erection problems while separated, before my divorce. I was just starting to dress seriously. He told me to stop immediately. He came up, no help for my erection problem.
Told my shrink at the time about dressing, etc. She said my dressing was "nothing to be concerned about". That my other problem was probably due to stress. She was correct on both counts. I continued dressing, to the point I am at now. No stress, no erection problems, ( when dressed)! About 6 years later now.

I recommend u do NOT tell your medical doc about CDing. See a shrink for stress if and when u can afford one. Just take one thing at a time. Oh, r u taking any hormones or other suppliments? Maybe u should tell the doc about those. Your health should come first. Hang in there, honey!
RS

battybattybats
10-15-2007, 02:07 AM
You could try cognitive behavioural therapy. That has good odds of getting results with depression, anxiety and panic attacks.
There are even do-it-yourself versions! There is an australian website called Mood Gym that goes through the basics and I've seen a book called Mind over Mood. If that doesn't help you won't lose much, the site is free and the book not too pricey and you could still go to a therapist.

Tasha T
10-15-2007, 05:11 AM

There is something going around right now.

As far as the other things go (depression/anxiety), I think you could use the help of a good therapist. You need to find someone who you can open up to completely and not hold anything back.

Marla S
10-15-2007, 06:43 AM
My personal experience, which has some parallels to your story, tells me that it is not so much a question telling about crossdressing in the first place, though your problems might have been partly caused by the life long struggle with this issue (lack of self-esteem, problems with socialization).
Your physician wouldn't be the right one to talk about it anyway, except you just need someone to vent, which can be very relieving.

What did help me has been a low dose of SSRIs (selective serotonine reuptake inhibitor). This brightens up the mood and makes you able to work on your routines, fears, disorganization of some aspects of your life. The latter is the crucial point and should be done together with a therapist (antidepressants support this only). Batty made a good suggestion.

So my suggestion: Get some antidepressants + find a (behavioral) therapist.
(The one probably won't work without the other)

For me CDing had an influence only insofar as it had an stabilizing effect and buffered mood swings.

Lovely Rita
10-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I suffered from depression all my life, and not connected with dressing. My faith pulled me out and has done wonders for me in every other way. If you ever want to chat about I am here to listen.

take care

S. Lisa Smith
10-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Talk to your doctor ASAP concerning your depression. You don't have to mention your CDing as that is a "side issue". The other symptoms that you relate are the important ones and indicate to me (I'm not a Doctor, but I did have clinical depression) that you are in the middle of a clinical depression. It is easily treatable and I am confident that you will be fine.

Zee
10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Be careful when talking with a doctor about depression. Usually, their knee-jerk reaction is a perscription, which is not always the best case scenario and can often do more damage later in life.

For depression, anxiety and obsessive compusliveness, talk with a qualified counselor. For stomach issues, consult your physician. After all, you wouldn't take your car to a computer repair guy.

And for any perscription either doctor may issue, make sure you are completely aware of ANY side effects, long term issues, and dietary changes that might need adjustment. Many anti-depressants do not go well with alcohol and drugs.

charlie
10-18-2007, 12:11 AM
cleaning the house...
Triglycerides over 740!
I don't know if I can even return to any type of work right now, and am wondering if I am looking at some type of a social security disability..
Hello Annekathleen!
I'm so sorry that you are having all these problems and seemingly have no place to turn. If you go to your doctor or theripist they will perscribe medicines like Prozac that will only get you more screwed kup. I turned to my faith, the bible and my Pastor. I know, in modern liberal society people like feel good religion and have no room for faith...but it has worked for me. I'm on the right path, have a good outlook on life and am not taking any drugs! Let Jesus take your burdon. Good luck and keep your eye on the ball! Life is supposed to be an adventure and fun. Not taken so seriously tahat we don't want to get up and face the new day.

trannie T
10-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Have a serious talk with your doctor. Ask for a referral to a therapist. Therapy and medication work very well in the treatment of depression. Divorce, the death of a close relative or friend and the loss of a job are some of the most stressful events in a person's life. Remember, things do have a way of working out.

Oddlee
10-18-2007, 12:51 AM
I suffered from depression all my life, and not connected with dressing. My faith pulled me out and has done wonders for me in every other way. If you ever want to chat about I am here to listen.

take care

Rita,

You are a wonder!

Thanks for your insight and thoughtful posts.

Lee

KarenMichelleLuv
10-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Anne Kathleen,

Recognizing that you are depressed is half the battle. Get to your MD and get a referral for therapy and/or light medication.

The rest is up to you...

1) Clean the house! Sure, it burns nervous energy, just make sure you're not rubbing off the paint...

2) Sleep! Not 12 hours worth, but force yourself to get up and perform your daily routine...period! Even if you feel like you are only going through the motions. No excuses.

3) Leave the house during the day! Don't want to hang with family or at the old places, no problem. Go somewhere new. Throw rocks. Do something new. Make new friends. Don't make new friends. This applies to both your male and female selves. The brain likes the challenge of examining new places and people.

4) Need a job...then go to the many self help job centers available in many cities. Do you have a list of contacts from when you were employed? Call them, not to status them about your current dilemma, but to let them know that you are available on the job market and looking for opportunities.

5) Keep on talking to your acquaintances and friends where ever they are...

6) Have faith?... Then have faith!

Hang in there babe...

sterling12
10-18-2007, 02:21 AM
If your Triglycerides are over 740, you need to see a Doc right now! That is not good.

Obviously, you had blood work done recently, and actually your Doc should be contacting you. If you got that number correct, it's a big cause for concern.

I'm not trying to scare you, just call your Doctor and express your concern about that number. He should take it from there.

Peace and Love, Joanie

prettieboy
10-18-2007, 03:21 AM
cleaning the house...
Triglycerides over 740!
ive been diagnosed with major depression it byitself causes health issues. i was directed to ssi [for my behavior] by social services you do have cause takes time im saying take care of the health.

annekathleen
10-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Just read all of the responses!
Thank you all for the support!!
It's nice to know that there are others just like me
who may have experienced the same feelings!!!:happy:

boygirlman
10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
One thing I know about depression is that whatever "it" is telling me to do is almost certainly the wrong thing.

When depression gets bad for me I want to sit and watch movies and nothing else. Nothing is exciting. Nothing is interesting. My most common response to any suggestion is, "How good can it be."

If it doesn't lift in short while I would definately see my Dr. I have been on anti-depressents for short periods in the past and it helps.

For me the anti-depresents sort of soften the blow.

Hope this is helpful.

MsJanessa
10-19-2007, 07:04 AM
but I am familiar with what therapists call "situational depression"--that's defined as depression caused by external events in your life--like losing your job---as opposed to being depressed for no external reason----situational depression usually ends when the situation ends---ie when you become employed again---if the depression lasts too long then seeing a professional is a good idea

Paula Wilder
10-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Hey Gurl, you're not alone. Have had bouts of depression on and off myself ever since my wife was diagnosed with MS and lost her mobility, then became totally disabled. At the time a friend asked if that was stressful, and was I getting any counseling? I answered: "I see two excellent counselors every night - Ben and Jerry!" I medicated with ice cream at the rate of a whole pint every night, until I gained about 40 pounds, became lactose intollerant (Yuk) and realized that self-destructive behaviors were not going to help cope in the long-run. I got counseling from an excellent therapist, went on SSRI's and perked up enough to get back on track. Now it comes in waves, and I have to watch it, so it'll probably be a lifelong fight. Crossdressing and oth er excapes provide me with a chance to get away from the other side of my life occasionally and to be truly happy for a time. Hang in there, and get some help, and there's definitely hope in your future!

Hugs and Prayers,

Paula

Khriss
10-21-2007, 02:46 AM
been there .. doing that ..now ...
help comes from opening up to a trained psychologist ,and some prescribed med's .. or likely both eh ? Hang -in -There xx"K"