PDA

View Full Version : Utopia or transphobia (the continuing saga)

Calliope
10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
As a feminist culture, at Twin Oaks we tend to disregard traditional gender roles and behavior. Women and men choose their roles in the community based on their interests, strengths, and passions, not on anyone else's preconceived notions. Women and men operate chainsaws and drive tractors, and men and women cook and care for children. We all wear clothing we find comfortable - pants for working in, skirts for coolness or festivity, heedless of mainstream ideas of "acceptable" fashion choices. Our commitment to fostering a supportive and joyful environment for all people - women, men, lesbians, gays, and children - is an integral part of Twin Oaks Community.
(From Feminist Culture, twinoaks.org.)

Well, we'll see. The visitor program is less charming the second time around. Bucket is still addressing me as "him," Pam (the bitter lonely lesbian) is still glowering at me and the feminist with a Gender Studies degree from Berkley is still trying to psychoanalyze me. Meanwhile, there are guys jumping all over the young cute GG visitors as if their horndog exigencies have nothing to do with their 'votes' regarding visitors. Grr, if I ever get in here, I will seriously have some cleaning up to do. Why bother? Well, I don't have too many options and there's still a lot of folks (women, mainly) here who are cheering me on. Stay tuned.

melissaK
10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
. Stay tuned.

Will do. Fingers crossed for you too.

hugs'
'lissa