PDA

View Full Version : Dressing for Halloween in UK

Susan Johnson
10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Quick question, from reading this and other crossdresser sites, it appears to be acceptable to 'Dress' for Halloween in USA. Can anyone tell me how acceptable it is in the UK. Have not ever been to any Halloween parties or events so have no experience of these.
possibly a silly question but it may be an excuse to venture out in public
hugs
Susan

Rachel Morley
10-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I used to live in the UK up until 5 years ago. IMHO this is all about the difference between America and the UK in their attitude to Halloween as a holiday. Over here in the US, it's HUGE!! There is so much fun built into it. It's like bonfire night is for us (except of course it's a different theme) but it's multiplied by 10.

It's all about dressing up and going to fancy dress parties or dressing up to greet the kids who come to your house for trick or treating (who are of course dressed up themselves). In other words it's about costumes!! What can be a costume for a regular guy? .... why, dressing up as a woman of course! Extend this to celebrating Halloween not just on the evening of Halloween but the whole day and you can see why crossdressing on Halloween is such a great thing if you are still in the closet. It gives you an excuse. :tongueout

How acceptable is it in the UK? Ah, that's different. I love living in America! :D

Sheri 4242
10-17-2007, 10:42 PM
In other words it's about costumes!!

And candy, Rachel, don't foget the tons and tons of candy!!! :D

For our worldwide sisters: you cannot fathom the candy sold and given out here -- it is a dentists @*# Dream!!!! :tongueout

PS: Rachel: since you've lived on both sides of the pond, tell us how difficult it was to learn an entirely new langauge . . . :lol2:

Joanne f
10-18-2007, 03:24 AM
I think providing you keep it in the Halloween theme you might get away with it , it all depends on where you live and the type of party you are going to ,
at the moment i am planing to go to a party dressed as a female goth but my kids will be there so if they complain to much i might have to change it .

joanne

Susan Johnson
10-18-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't going to a party and was just wondering about going out en femme in public but I think I had better leave that idea for the time being as this country, at least the smaller towns is not very CD tolerant.
thanks ladies

Susan:sad:

"Mary"
10-18-2007, 06:20 AM
I've never been to the UK but in watching TV shows, I see more costume parties or masquarade balls in the UK than in the US. I've seen occasional old movie New Years Eve parties here as costume themed, but never recently. So outside of Halloween, I can't think of any other time that folks are likely to wear a costume. At least I've never been invited to a costume party outside of Halloween.

Other experiences?

Diana

Emma England
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Halloween is not really celebrated in the UK.

Some kids might knock on your door for Trick or Treat (but that is just to try to get money out of people).

Mitch23
10-18-2007, 12:13 PM
perhaps we need to start a trend ...

mitch

charllote34
10-18-2007, 01:14 PM
perhaps we need to start a trend ...

mitch

I couldnt agree more!

Rachel Morley
10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Halloween is not really celebrated in the UK.

Some kids might knock on your door for Trick or Treat (but that is just to try to get money out of people).

Yeah, why is that?. As Sheri quite rightly pointed out, in the US it's also all about candy as well as costumes. It's all about getting as much candy (sweets) as is humanly possibly at the door not money.

Ema1234 GG
10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I was under the impression that the British equivalent was Guy Fawkes Day, 5th of November. Some people in North America associate fireworks with Hallowe'en, not quite realizing the origin of the custom. I would think that, in Great Britain, about all you could dress as is a 'Guy'. Bummer!
(Penny for the Guy, miss?)

Minerva

Lol and then get thrown on top of the bonfire! The whole guy thing involves building a model of a "guy" which is then put on top of the bonfire on Bonfire Night. I don't know where the money associated with this originates from.

I've never known any actual person dress up for Bonfire Night.

Sadly, this now normally involves older teenagers building a guy (normally very poorly) and then standing outside shops trying to get as much money as possible out of people to spend on booze or cigs. :rolleyes:

It's all about getting as much candy (sweets) as is humanly possibly at the door not money.

Normally starts with people too lazy to buy sweets, so they give money to the kids that come knocking instead. So of course then they want money from everyone. Guess it's just yet another sign of the yob culture that's over here.