PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to pierced ears

Darla in Pa.
10-19-2007, 12:14 PM
had my ears pierced last friday at the mall, My wife was with me she was more concerned than me. But the girl was real nice never batted an eye when i wanted both. I'm 48 with short greying hair, This is in the main aisle so a lot of people stopped and looked, I was grinning ear to ear My wife wanted to hide i think, but didn't and made sure they were straight. since then I have been having a ball. mostly everyone is good with it, I live in a town where change is not welcome. Had a few ? why I did, I just smile and ask if they like them subject is dropped. I'm not who anyone would expect to get earings so i think it is a total shock. Just had to post this.

Darla

krisinpink
10-19-2007, 12:39 PM
My ears are pierced, and I work in a shop with some not-very-open-minded guys, but there is no problem at all; they don't even think about it. I've worn stone solitaires and small gold hoops to work with no trouble.

I think having both pierced in 2007 is easier than it may have been in 97 or 87!

-Kris

Maggie Kay
10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Had mine done in a Claire's a year ago, last July. I went around noon on a weekday and was the only one in the shop. The manager was the only person there and she did the procedure fast professionally and with not a hint of snickering even though a 55 year old guy is sitting in a chair with teen earring displays all around. I was totally happy about having the "guts" to do this and no one has ever said anything about them. Then again I do live in coastal California where we have a lot of diverse people.

Charolette time
10-19-2007, 01:12 PM
had my ears pierced last friday at the mall, My wife was with me she was more concerned than me. But the girl was real nice never batted an eye when i wanted both. I'm 48 with short greying hair, This is in the main aisle so a lot of people stopped and looked, I was grinning ear to ear My wife wanted to hide i think, but didn't and made sure they were straight. since then I have been having a ball. mostly everyone is good with it, I live in a town where change is not welcome. Had a few ? why I did, I just smile and ask if they like them subject is dropped. I'm not who anyone would expect to get earings so i think it is a total shock. Just had to post this.

Darla

Watch football or baseball and look at those 350lb line men or Sluggers and they have them, no ones laughing at them, I was at a Flea market one Sunday morning and a fellow with no shirt on had his Nipples pierced with indian feathers, all I could think was O U C H, Good for you,:hugs: Charolette

MJ
10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
i love mine so much i got them done twice

KateW
10-19-2007, 02:30 PM
My ears are double pierced and I have had very few reactions to it over the years. I only wear gold studs when out though. I wonder what they'd say if they saw some of the more elaborate dangly earrings in my possession!

Darla in Pa.
10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I probably will where big hoop earings when they heal , I wear hats of all different kinds all the time (don't know how my bavarian winter will go with gold though) Might be a (rebel ) Darla

My Lady Marsea
10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I had mine pierced at age 60 about 7 months ago. Did not know of Clairs then and used a local tatoo shop.:rolleyes: They used long needles with the starter stud attached which they pulled through the ears. Mine had a tiny little ball that had to be threaded onto the stud. After they had been in the required month or so I took them out but it took almost 20 minutes to get them back because of the tiny size. I started with little small ear rings but as I got braver started wearing the long flashy danglers I always wanted to. They are all I wear out now and I like the hook type (like a fish hook w/ no barb LOL) because they are sooo easy to put on and off. The post ones I'm pretty good at but sometimes the long nails get in the way.I just love my ear rings and all the other flash/trash that is me.:D

27th Jennifer
10-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm 31, and I've had both mine pierced since I was 15. I was the first guy in my school to have both ears pierced, and in the midwest backwoods where I'm from, it didn't go over well at first. Nobody has said anything since. I keep them stretched to 8ga, which is a little big, and prevents me from wearing some of the more girly earrings. If you're gonna do it, do 'em both! I think people that only do one look they are the ones hiding something... Just my opinion. I have them both done, and I suppose I am hiding something, too, so I shouldn't say anything.:2c:

Joy Carter
10-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I have doubles since maybe May of this year. I had singles for over a year now.
So far I have gotten many looks. And only two comments. On was from a friend who was shocked. :eek:
The other was from a young black female clerk, who thought I looked sexy with them.
I was fifty seven at the time. :D:D:D:D

DonnaT
10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Good for you Darla.

Had a few ? why I did, I just smile and ask if they like them subject is dropped.
The only friend to comment when I had mine done was a friend I grew up with in WV.

He asked, "What the hell have you got in your ears?"

I replied, "Pretty, aren't they!?" :D

My older brother was looking on and just laughed.

My friend made no further comment on them, and we caught up on what'd been going on since I last visited.

This took place at a boy scout reunion, and none of the other guys made any comment at all.

Alice B
10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Mine are both pierced and have been so for several years. I do a lot of public speaking, attend some fairly high social events- fund raisers, parties, symphony, theater, etc. Have had very, very few people ask or comment and when they do I simply say I felt it looks better than just one and that in today's world it sends no signal to anyone. Then I point out that the earrings are ones that my wife had made for me.:tongueout

Niya W
10-19-2007, 07:29 PM
funny thing. I got my pierced at 24 and my parents freaked out. THen said well your not the son we thought would ever do any thing liked that.

Kristen Kelly
10-19-2007, 10:33 PM
I love the fact my ears ar pierced, my brothers biker friends have them pierced my brother has 4 in 1 ear, so when he asked why I did both ears I answered earings are sold in pairs why not.

Casandra Carrington
10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I've had mine pierced since 1980 and 1982 I had them pierced the 2nd time then about 1990 I had the 3rd set of holes then about 6 months later I had a 4th in my left ear....its nothing for guys to have both ears pierced my oldest son is 22 and he has had both ears pierced since he was about 14 I guess if dad can wear a dress he can wear earings....LOL

JoAnnDallas
10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
We were watching "Vegus" on TV the other night. One of the sub-plots was about a Jewish boy there with his parents. He wanted to meet this girl but was real shy. Mary had her assiantant help him out. She took him cloth shopping for a cool outfit, had his hair done, and then took him to a place and got both of his ears pierced. Guess with all the cebs wearing earrings and such, that a teenage boy getting both of his periced is no big deal now adays.
I asked the wife one day and she said she would peirce them for me and even had a set of gold studs whe would give me to wear.

Debbie47
10-22-2007, 11:50 PM
I will be 48 in a week or so and getting my ears pierced is my next big step. I wear Monet luxury clip earrings and they are very comfortable but the styles are extremely limited compared to pierced. I am happy for you. Debbie

Daintre
10-23-2007, 12:03 AM
My ears have been double pierced for years, mostly I have only had good comments. When I worked customer service once, I had a senior lady ask for a refund, no problem with that and it must have impressed her as she told the manager that the biker at customer service was very friendly. Oh did we laugh.

Elizabeth2
10-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I did both of my ears myself but chickened out and took them out. My wife was horrified. I am still keen to do it but will try to time it so its hardly noticable. any suggestions?

glynnis
10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Got both my ears pierced several years ago,when out I wear silver hooped earings but when at home like know I wear the long dangling ones my wife buys for me.In fact we share our ea:happy:rings as we do our clothes.I am a very lucky man.

Karen43
10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I pierced my own ears with a piercing kit 20 years ago and have enjoyed it ever since !!

Beth785
10-23-2007, 12:06 PM
My brother got his pierced about a decade ago and my mother asked if I wanted to get mine done too. I said no, but now wish I had said yes. I've been thinking about it lately and think I may go ahead and get it done.

Cheryl T
10-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Had both ears done 2 years ago (waited much too long) and have double piercings in each.
I wear studs in the uppers and small hoops (1/2") in the lowers at all times (unless of course I'm in the mood for something with more flair).
The reaction in a word NONE

Do it and enjoy yourself.

Patti Girl
10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm 60. My wife pierced both of my ears. No one has ever made a comment.

Patti

LynnInDenver
10-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm seriously considering getting my ears pierced next week. I tend to think that, with all the tattoos and other piercings out there, people tend not to consider ear piercings to be a big deal anymore.

That doesn't mean I won't get tubes or clear studs, though. :happy:

Rachel Morley
10-24-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm not who anyone would expect to get earings so i think it is a total shock. Just had to post this.

I love it! YGG! I have both mine done too ... one in each ear :happy:

Vaerise
10-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Getting the ears pierced is considered fashionable where I come from... even for the guys..

But its normally associated that your either gay or gangster depending on which ear, and both...I guess can raise a couple of eyebrows even among the trendy young folks here

dee4127
10-24-2007, 12:46 PM
I am trying to get the nerve up. I allready have 2 holes in one ear just have to do the other ear.

Patti Girl
10-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I am trying to get the nerve up. I allready have 2 holes in one ear just have to do the other ear.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel more comfortable with a small earing in both ears than in just one. Maybe that's because I really am somewhat feminine? :happy:

(Actually I prefer two larger earings but stick with something small in public.)

Patti

CharleneCD
10-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Tonight I got a reaction for not wearing my earings. Usualy I wear some thick large hoops. Well tonight I forgot to put them in and the gals at the coffee shop noticed right away. They asked me where my earings were.

ptp009
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Wish I could get them, can you get them and not wear for a while Via days as a male

paulaN
10-24-2007, 09:15 PM
could you girls talk to my wife. She is what's stopping me. How can I get her to let me get them done?

jennifer41356
10-24-2007, 10:35 PM
best thing I ever did was get them pierced...I love it
have had only a couple of people ever notice...told em i wear earrings when i go to concerts:drink:

WendyCD5
10-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Getting your ears pierced is not the big deal it used to be. I've had my left ear pierced for 30 years, and even back then, it was no big deal. Now, just look at all the weird thinks people pierce, lips, eyebrows, noses, etc. Getting your ears pierced is tame compared to what others pierce on their face.

One word of advice, you might not want to wear earrings to a job interview :heehee: