PDA

View Full Version : "Male/Female" Clothes - How did it become labeled?

KittyMuffin
06-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Who is to say that only girls can wear dresses and men have to wear pants, etc? One way or another, these are just trends that arose throughout society's advancement through the ages.

Let's go back to the beginning shall we? When we were cavemen (and cavewomen... and cave-trannies? Who knows? :D ) we used scraps of fur or whatever else was available for covering and protection.

As humans evolved and technology advanced, culture was able to flourish as well. For example, as better food-preservation methods became available, people had more time to devote to the arts, music, etc.

So over time, for whatever reason, it has reflected in this particular way in clothing. But take a look at mens' apparel of the ancient times. The military uniforms worn by Roman, Greek, and Egyptian soldiers for example were very comparable to modern female dresses (just don't tell them that!).

But now, and I seek an explanation as to why, clothing styles are more or less distinct as being labeled as either male or female attire. Perhaps it is for practical reasons; because in a male-dominant society where the men are out working, there is a great need for freedom of movement (although it would seem to me that a skirt would allow for more freedom than pants).

It is probably an endless argument, but the point I am trying to get to is this. Society labels clothing (and behavior for that matter) as being masculine or feminine. However, what is clothing really? It is matter like anything else. Everything we know and love is comprised of atoms and molecules arranged in a certain way to make a pair of panties, heels, or a dress, or whatever. It is only because we would be differentiating from what has become the "normal" that we may feel ashamed of who we are for this. But then this beckons the question of what is "normal"?

Chandra Marie
06-15-2004, 03:20 PM
I agree, in days of old there seemed to be a lot guys wearing dress/skirt like clothes. old english judges wore wigs and the scotts have the kilt and look at the old formal wear of the brits with their frilly shirts. I guess in my humble ( or not so as the case may be) opinion, the only truly female garment, and my fovorite, is the bra.

Chandra

eleventhdr
06-15-2004, 04:56 PM
They sure did and none questioned it way back then it was and has only been very recently that males have been locked into wearing of pants!. yuck what a way to be now that we do so need it the other way around!. Oh well!.

Cher
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Dear Kitty Muffin:
"Cave-trannies"...that made me laugh out loud!!...when they lived all covered up against the weather, none of them got haircuts and make-up wasn't thought of back then, how did one know who was what??...maybe they lifted each other's bear skin...I love it...kisses - R

Julie
06-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Most of today's male clothing derived from changes made in earlier styles to accomodate the warrior or fighter. Buttons were changed from what we now see as the women's style and moved to the other side to enable swordsmen to remove theri shirt more easily with one hand while engaged in a sword fight. Pants were created to enable the soldier/fighter to more easily move around when in battle with the enemy.

From there someone invented MACHO and a few saps latched onto the idea and somehow it took hold. I think it must have been one of those abberations of mankind's development. It wasn't until the Village People pointed it out in their song that people began to question it. Still, today there are remote parts of the world that think the MACHO MAN is something to aspire to. Maybe we should invite them over sometime for some tea and a makeover session. That will open their eyes not to mention bring out their color and beauty ;)

KittyMuffin
06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I read once in a book about England around the time before the industrial age, that the buttons were put on the right side for males because most people were right-handed. Most women at the time did not un/dress themselves, but were dressed by maids. So their clothes had buttons on the left because it would be easier for the maids who were mostly right-handed.

KittyMuffin
10-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I guess in my humble ( or not so as the case may be) opinion, the only truly female garment, and my fovorite, is the bra.

Chandra

I agree. I think that would be the case because it was specifically designed for the purpose of keeping boobies in place, and men normally don't have boobies. :p

Cher
10-30-2004, 10:35 PM
HI:
I do, I do, I do...hee hee - kisses

Marlene4a
10-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Good point. Clothes are clothes right?

What makes a female clothing?
In the 1500's men wore high heels, wigs, and carried purses.......What the h.... changed?

Abraxas
10-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Right. Maybe you just want to be guys from a few hundred years ago.
Hey-- I wouldn't mind that. I like frillie things but they make me look like a girl. I want to look like a ponce! I wanna wear tight leather trousers and fluffy shirts, but still be a boy.
To me it's not necessarily about the clothes. That's just the only way I can really express it.
If I were actually a boy, I'd be TV because I LIKE that sort of thing. I'm not sure I'd want to be a girl (although I can't imagine fancying women-- I might, might not). So... I'd probably still be TV.

Fiona K
10-31-2004, 12:48 AM
Most of today's male clothing derived from changes made in earlier styles to accomodate the warrior or fighter. Buttons were changed from what we now see as the women's style and moved to the other side to enable swordsmen to remove theri shirt more easily with one hand while engaged in a sword fight. Pants were created to enable the soldier/fighter to more easily move around when in battle with the enemy.

From there someone invented MACHO and a few saps latched onto the idea and somehow it took hold. I think it must have been one of those abberations of mankind's development. It wasn't until the Village People pointed it out in their song that people began to question it. Still, today there are remote parts of the world that think the MACHO MAN is something to aspire to. Maybe we should invite them over sometime for some tea and a makeover session. That will open their eyes not to mention bring out their color and beauty ;)

Some times the Macho thing works the other way Julie...........
Well maybe only in Scotland- The wearing of traditional underwear beneath one's Kilt is seen as the mark of a man, silk and lace french knickers are a no no!!

BTW, the Highland regiments were known as the "Devils in Skirts" by the Germans during WW1. More uselss information from Fiona!!
Love to All