PDA

View Full Version : Fed up, smoking and femme figure

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I'll probably stir the pot with this one. :stirthepot:

I'm feeling fed up lately. I used to smoke a pack of ciggies a day. Have done so since I was a kid. Last summer, my S.O. was giving me so much gip :chatterbox: about it (she'd stopped for 6 years) I decided to use the patches and stop. So, after a few weeks of suffering along with some wonderfully vivid and incredibly sordid dreams brought on by the nicotine patches (they should sell those things for none smokers!), I finally managed to quit and haven't had a ciggie in over a year.

Anyways, all my friends smoke. To add insult to injury, my S.O. just started again. Now it's me that feels like a social lepper. But worse is that I've put on 30 pounds since I stopped. I used to be wonderfully skinny. Now I got this awful belly that I struggle to suck in with waist cinchers or corsets. I feel really fed up - I have lost my femme figure and feel like the odd one out when we get together with friends.

Now I know the tide has turned against smokers. More and more it is becoming socially unacceptable and smokers are frowned upon. Just today I heard in UK news something about implementing a £200 a year "addicts license" just to be able to buy smokes!!

The thing is, I want my femme figure back and smoking did make me feel good. But I know it's bad for me. But then today I stop at Walgreens for something else and pick up a twix and two snickers bars just because I wanted them. Also, I'm drinking a lot more too. I know it would be a shame to start again now but taking up smoking again is beginning to sound like the lesser of two evils.

What does everyone else think?

Ðarissa
10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Think about the money you'll save on not buying smokes that can go towards clothes!

Glad I don't smoke. Tried it when I was a little kid. It made me cough and gag and didn't get it. LOL

£200 a year "addicts license"... why that's ridiculous. Hope they don't put something like that on beer. :eek:

jaina
10-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Hoestly I think nicotine should be a schedule I drug.

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Think about the money you'll save on not buying smokes that can go towards clothes!

Glad I don't smoke. Tried it when I was a little kid. It made me cough and gag and didn't get it. LOL

£200 a year "addicts license"... why that's ridiculous. Hope they don't put something like that on beer. :eek:

That's part of the problem. I'm spending the money on snickers bars and booze instead. :drink:

Hoestly I think nicotine should be a schedule I drug.

Not sure what that is. Do you mean same class as Cocaine and Heroin? I kind of wish cigarettes had never been invented but then I might weight 500 pounds by now. :o

Kris
10-23-2007, 09:14 PM

I'm feeling fed up lately. I used to smoke a pack of ciggies a day. Have done so since I was a kid. Last summer, my S.O. was giving me so much gip :chatterbox: about it (she'd stopped for 6 years) I decided to use the patches and stop. So, after a few weeks of suffering along with some wonderfully vivid and incredibly sordid dreams brought on by the nicotine patches (they should sell those things for none smokers!), I finally managed to quit and haven't had a ciggie in over a year.

Anyways, all my friends smoke. To add insult to injury, my S.O. just started again. Now it's me that feels like a social lepper. But worse is that I've put on 30 pounds since I stopped. I used to be wonderfully skinny. Now I got this awful belly that I struggle to suck in with waist cinchers or corsets. I feel really fed up - I have lost my femme figure and feel like the odd one out when we get together with friends.

Now I know the tide has turned against smokers. More and more it is becoming socially unacceptable and smokers are frowned upon. Just today I heard in UK news something about implementing a £200 a year "addicts license" just to be able to buy smokes!!

The thing is, I want my femme figure back and smoking did make me feel good. But I know it's bad for me. But then today I stop at Walgreens for something else and pick up a twix and two snickers bars just because I wanted them. Also, I'm drinking a lot more too. I know it would be a shame to start again now but taking up smoking again is beginning to sound like the lesser of two evils.

Nikki ~

I gotta say, I love ya! I know for a fact that cigarettes are less expensive in Oregon than in Texas... send me your address and I'll buy you a carton for $32.00 and look at the money you will STILL save for clothes!

:hugs:

Kris

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Nikki ~

I gotta say, I love ya! I know for a fact that cigarettes are less expensive in Oregon than in Texas... send me your address and I'll buy you a carton for $32.00 and look at the money you will STILL save for clothes!

Kris

heh heh Sounds like you're helping to stir the pot with me Kris. :stirthepot: :heehee:

Since I stopped they put an extra $1 or so on a pack here in Texas. I used to get a carton of Marlboros from Walgreens on the corner for $28 (anyone see the irony in buying smokes from a pharmacist?). Now I think they're about $35 at least. Of course, could always smoke the cheapo ones but they're like smoking rolled up toilet paper (OK don't ask me how I know that!). :devil:

I don't think smoking is the answer. Of course, I've never smoked but haven't had a girlish figure in years either.

If you are healthy and not obese, why not be happy with how you are? There are a lot of cute clothes in plus sizes.

I don't feel any healthier than I did when I smoked. In fact, in some ways I feel worse. I know I shouldn't say that but it's actually true.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was evenly spread. I like bigger girls myself. My S.O. had weight loss surgery a bit back. However, in my case, it's not evenly spread. From the side, I kind of look pregnant. :eek:

Scotty
10-23-2007, 10:02 PM
From someone trying to quit - don't do it.

Don't justify it by any means....$5.50 a pack on average times 30 days is $167 by the way I figure (5.56 actually).

Not healthy, hard to quit.

Gawd ya know what's harder to quit than smoking? Estrogen...Gawd help ya if you go HRT - it's HARD to quit...headaches, withdrawel siymptoms...

Smoking is easier, I've cut back and just need to set a day to do it...cold turkey.

I smoke so little that even the SOFTEST patch, 2mg gets me STONEd.....no thanks, can't stand the headache!! :)

Anyway don't do it..

Take up swimming, it'll work that down for you. my stomach muscles were so tight from swimming......

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
From someone trying to quit - don't do it.

Don't justify it by any means....$5.50 a pack on average times 30 days is $167 by the way I figure (5.56 actually).

Not healthy, hard to quit.

Gawd ya know what's harder to quit than smoking? Estrogen...Gawd help ya if you go HRT - it's HARD to quit...headaches, withdrawel siymptoms...

Smoking is easier, I've cut back and just need to set a day to do it...cold turkey.

I smoke so little that even the SOFTEST patch, 2mg gets me STONEd.....no thanks, can't stand the headache!! :)

Anyway don't do it..

Take up swimming, it'll work that down for you. my stomach muscles were so tight from swimming......

Thanks Scottie but I'm also hydrophobic (or is it aquaphobic?) and can't swim (no kidding).

The money isn't the issue. I'm spending way more on booze and food to make up for it. I guess my point is that the extra food and booze are making me feel worse (and may be even doing me more harm - both physically and mentally) than the ciggies ever did.

I appreciate your concern though. :hugs: BTW, no HRT for me - good luck with your quitting!

docrobbysherry
10-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Smoking is more than a bad habit, it's a compulsion! (Like my dressing). If u can get past the withdrawal symptoms, and find something else that gets your spirits raised, besides food and booze, You'll kick it. Later, u can worry about getting your figure back. Think of it as saving your life, first, looking good in your swimmers, second! I feel for u friend!
RS

myspace.com/robertsherry

Paula Wilder
10-23-2007, 10:45 PM
My mom died from lung cancer from her smoking, at about age 62. But she did die with her girlish figure intact. Always a tradeoff - I'd choose life and find another way - maybe eat less?

Inhalingly yours,

Paula

tinadcd
10-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Oh, sweetie, I hope you can come to grips with this! You know my position; but I'm a non smoker so I can't give you first hand advice. Two questions:

How much did you smoke?

Did you smoke in drab or only en femme?

If you do take it up again, please don't smoke those nasty, cork filtered "Cowboy Killers"!

Smoke something long, slender and girlie, OK?

XOXOXOX

Tina

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Smoking is more than a bad habit, it's a compulsion! (Like my dressing). If u can get past the withdrawal symptoms, and find something else that gets your spirits raised, besides food and booze, You'll kick it. Later, u can worry about getting your figure back. Think of it as saving your life, first, looking good in your swimmers, second! I feel for u friend!
RS

Thanks! Coming from a doc I would've expected more of a lecture. Not sure what else can get my spirits up. The next season of Lost doesn't come out for another couple of months. :(

My mom died from lung cancer from her smoking, at about age 62. But she did die with her girlish figure intact. Always a tradeoff - I'd choose life and find another way - maybe eat less?

Sorry to hear about your mom Paula. You're right, it is a tradeoff. I could eat less but may drink more. Or vice versa. I should add that my S.O. had her weight loss surgery because otherwise she would've likely died before she hit 35. In other words, the eating would've likely killed her long before ciggies ever did.

Oh, sweetie, I hope you can come to grips with this! You know my position; but I'm a non smoker so I can't give you first hand advice. Two questions:

How much did you smoke?

Did you smoke in drab or only en femme?

If you do take it up again, please don't smoke those nasty, cork filtered "Cowboy Killers"!

Smoke something long, slender and girlie, OK?

XOXOXOX

Tina

Thanks Tina, I smoked all the time and about 20 a day. Done so since I was a kid. More so in social settings with friends, etc. like at a bar/pub/restaurant. Or when under stress. I've had a lot of stress lately and that's making me feel worse about all this.

Long slender and girlie huh? If I start again Tina I'll let you hold the ashtray for me OK :heehee:

KewTnCurvy GG
10-23-2007, 10:59 PM
I just quit a little over 3 months ago, after having relapsed (after a 20 year plus stretch of being a non-smoker).

So, I have this to say, if you want to die young, a horrible, slow death (from lung disease) and look older than your non-smoking peers then return to smoking. Truly, I love to smoke but I've watched people die from lung disease and it is not worth it.

Kew's-2

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I just quit a little over 3 months ago, after having relapsed (after a 20 year plus stretch of being a non-smoker).

So, I have this to say, if you want to die young, a horrible, slow death (from lung disease) and look older than your non-smoking peers then return to smoking. Truly, I love to smoke but I've watched people die from lung disease and it is not worth it.

Kew's-2

Wow! You had started again after 20 years??!!

Stephenie S
10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
If you spent just a day with a patient with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you would never touch a smoke again. When you can't breathe, nothing else matters. The damage that smoking causes is enormous. Unfortunately nicotine is the MOST adictive substance comonly available. I agree, they should be on the schedule II or III list. People need to realize that nicotine is a VERY dangerous drug and needs to be treated as such.

Stephenie

Bridget Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
..................don't

You forgot the how much smoking sucks part. I still do.

Kieron Andrew
10-23-2007, 11:06 PM
no advice except, remember why you gave up in the first place, dont go back to it! if you can give up smoking you're strong enough to lose the weight and maintain it, pick up a carrot stick instead of chocolate

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 11:21 PM
I must say I really appreciate the responses I'm getting to this thread. I know how bad smoking is for me or anyone else but so can eating too much or drinking alcohol. The point is I seem to be substituting one bad thing for another and I now look like an alarm clock instead of an hour glass. :o

BTW, don't like carrots. :p

goofus
10-23-2007, 11:31 PM

First of all, if you want to get the girlish figure back, cut out the twix and snickers bars :D
Secondly, take a long hard look at *what* you're eating. Are you eating a lot of junk food and refined sugar? If so, cut it out, and eat lots of meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and berries, like goddess intended us to eat and like other primates eat in nature. If you do that I guarantee you'll get the girlish figure back *and* be able to keep off the cigarettes :2c:

Laurengrl01
10-23-2007, 11:35 PM
What does everyone else think?You asked and I know I'll take some heat for this...
Nikki, please resist the temtation to start again; you have come such along way already! Nobody wants to talk about the health risks; we all know it isn't healthy. I work for the Oncology department in a large hospital and it is truly tragic to see the pain and suffering that occurs to patients (and their families), not only physical, but emotional and financial. You may very well go the rest of your life and not have any health issues. However, know this, your risk is somewhere around 20 times > then that of a non-smoker for expiration due to lung cancer. Almost daily we see patients with PEG tubes and Trach tubes (not all smoking related cancers) and it just breaks my heart. Certainly not ment to 'rip' on smokers, but this is the hard reality of working in this environment... I hope you NEVER find yourself in this situation; smoker or not.
I hope you make the decision that works best for you in the long term. Just think, if you can refrain, perhaps you can convince the SO to join you (since it sounds like they were there once before).
Best wishes. :hugs:
- Lauren

If you spent just a day with a patient with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you would never touch a smoke again. When you can't breathe, nothing else matters. The damage that smoking causes is enormous. Unfortunately nicotine is the MOST adictive substance comonly available. I agree, they should be on the schedule II or III list. People need to realize that nicotine is a VERY dangerous drug and needs to be treated as such.

I concur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nikki_t
10-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Well, I rarely eat junk food as in burgers, etc. I've had McDonalds maybe 3 times in as many years (after we watched Super Size Me). And it's not like I'm stuffing snickers bars into my gob like they're going out of fashion. I think I'm just generally eating more. I eat a lot of steak, TexMex and Indian food - although I did have buffalo wild wings tonight (a rare treat due to my S.O. being sick - she hates the place!).

I know I shouldn't start again. I've been contemplating this for a good couple of weeks now - it was seeing the news story about the £200 license to buy ciggies that prompted me to post this thread. I know the health risks are bad. But I smoked for some 25+ years... hasn't the damage already been done? Am I now just adding a pickled liver and big belly into the mix?

cdbarbara
10-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Eating and smoking both seem to have the same way of satisfying something in us. I know a couple who both quit and both proceded to blow up like the philbury dough boy. Are they better off smoking or obece. I don't know.
They would be better off not smoking and at a healthy weight for sure. Try to find something to do that satisfies without putting something in youre mouth.

trannie T
10-24-2007, 01:04 AM
I quit smoking over twenty years ago. It takes years for all the cravings to go away, but after a few months it gets easier and easier. Eleven years ago I quit drinking. Now if I can only lose all the weight I've gained.

Sandra
10-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Most have mentioned the health issues but also think about this, if you start again your hair, clothing and breath will smell. As for the weight try to eat healthy that doesn't mean you can't have a drink or a choccie bar just do it in moderation.

jill carey
10-24-2007, 05:45 AM
hi Nikki,
dont do it, dont go back,stay off them,I had the same problem and still have after eleven years smoke free but I get by.
look at the money you will save.

Emily Ann Brown
10-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Okay sis.....

Here comes the challenge. I have picked up about 8 pounds since April, and I don't smoke (never did). You pick your weight and I'll pick mine (165 lbs). first one there gets a new dress from the other ! Interested???

Emily Ann

Kieron Andrew
10-24-2007, 06:01 AM

BAH! now you're just being difficult!:tongueout

Okay sis.....

Here comes the challenge. I have picked up about 8 pounds since April, and I don't smoke (never did). You pick your weight and I'll pick mine (165 lbs). first one there gets a new dress from the other ! Interested???

Emily Ann

this i gotta see! one of you gotta start a challenge thread so we can all monitor you lol

Marla S
10-24-2007, 06:17 AM
I must say I really appreciate the responses I'm getting to this thread. I know how bad smoking is for me or anyone else but so can eating too much or drinking alcohol. The point is I seem to be substituting one bad thing for another and I now look like an alarm clock instead of an hour glass. :o

I always wondered why one can't get addicted to healthy things.
Why I am not a tofu addict, carrot addict, salad addict, etc. ?

I guess part of the answer is: all this little drugs like cigarettes, alcohol, sweets, eating in general, TV, shopping, etc. produce immediate satisfaction, whereas the more healthy things take effect usually only in the long run. That makes it difficult to substitute the "drugs". We want to feel good now and not to wait 3 weeks or 10 years.

Personally I smoke way too much and my scales are my mood-o-meter.
Having good mood I slowly lose wight without doing anything special, having my blues I gain weight rather quickly, being totally down I lose weight very quickly (just stop eating, and almost everything else).

Lovely Rita
10-24-2007, 06:34 AM

Nikki, health should continue to be numbero uno. I understand you want your figure back, have you considered exercising?

Smoking is so unhealthy. It would be better if you could stay away from it.:thumbsup:

I wish you all the best with this.

Tree GG
10-24-2007, 07:40 AM
I firmly believe smoking, over-eating or any of those self-destructive behaviors are driven by personality issues. Biochemical reactions just reinforce the behaviors.

So you gave up one "bad" habit for another (eating candy). Lesser of 2 evils?

Sounds like you quite smoking to pacify your wife, not because you were sold on the benefits of not smoking and were committed to making a positive change in your life for yourself. IMO, don't go backward.

Sure, it's a flip-off to society to say "I don't care what you think. I can smoke if I want." But isn't that just letting them control you as well?

Good luck - I can recommend the "Body For Life" books or many other publications that do a good job at motivating you to find healthy activities. But you have to do it for you - no one else.

MJ
10-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Okay sis.....

Emily Ann

well i started smoking when i was a teenager but i quit after about a year i was smoke free for 24 years then after i was found out "dressing" at that time i started again due to stress and i just quit back in august ..

as far as weight gain nothing but i did start an exercise program and i wanted to lose more weight anyway... just remember to set your self a goal say 10 pounds then treat your self but don't push your self too hard .. oh and no candy bars
hey Emily
sounds like fun but whats your total weight you have to lose ?
why not the first to lose 30 pounds !!! i will do that he he

Hey Nikki
please don't start again it's not worth it .. and there is a chance smoking won't lose the weight you have gained

this i gotta see! one of you gotta start a challenge thread so we can all monitor you lol

Emily Ann Brown
10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
MJ,

I'm 176 right now.....two years ago I was 205, had gotten to 168....then I slacked off (divorce, overtime at work, hot weather).

Nikki,

That's 11 pounds to lose for me....I'll spot ya one. I'll lose 11 before you lose 10. (And no radical leg amputations or anything to get there. GIGGLE GIGGLE).

(And for everyone that wonders what the heck is with Em, Nikki and I are friends so it's not like I opened up a can of whipass or anything...just a friendly public dare.)

Emily Ann

TxKimberly
10-24-2007, 09:10 AM
You went through the pain and the hard part and succeeded in quiting - don't screw it up by starting now.

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
I always wondered why one can't get addicted to healthy things.
Why I am not a tofu addict, carrot addict, salad addict, etc. ?

Healthy things are boring and don't taste as good??? :devil:

BAH! now you're just being difficult!:tongueout

Hey! Everyone here knows I'm never difficult, combative, abrasive or contrary... OK mister!!?? :Angry3: :tongueout

Okay sis.....

Emily Ann

Well I just got on the scales. Seems I'm not as heavy as I was 2 weeks ago so that's good right? Before I stopped I used to weigh 165 lbs. and right now I'm 186 (was 196 two weeks ago!). I don't know what I've been doing differently these last two weeks. Maybe something with my metabolism? Stress? I haven't been eating any differently.

So I will set my goal at 170 lbs - the glove is on the floor sister!! :kickbutt:

Kieron Andrew
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey! Everyone here knows I'm never difficult, combative, abrasive or contrary... OK mister!!?? :Angry3: :tongueout

yeah riighhhtttttt!!!! :hiding:

Marla S
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Healthy things are boring and don't taste as good??? :devil:
Boring is an argument:heehee:, but do have cigarettes a good taste ?
Some say, but not when you start smoking and not when you are addicted, maybe at some stage inbetween.

Once again I think Tree hit the nail on the head.

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Boring is an argument:heehee:, but do have cigarettes a good taste ?
Some say, but not when you start smoking and not when you are addicted, maybe at some stage inbetween.

Once again I think Tree hit the nail on the head.

Argument? Did someone say argument? LOL

I always thought ciggies tasted good. But I'm determined to not start again. When socialising with friends I will sit and suffer. I want the new dress from Em. I have expensive tastes (now).

Emily Ann Brown
10-24-2007, 10:57 AM
We have a contest girls......Nikki and I are gonna race to see who reaches their weight goal first. We will officially start tomorrow (but we both know we will cheat and start right now)...giggle giggle. Ladies honor.

One of us will keep the group informed at regular intervals as to how far behind Nikki is. Haven't discussed details on the cost of this new dress (hey sis, I'm single...can it be a wedding dress? ) but we will work those things out like the friends we are.

Anyone want to challenge MJ and make this a bigger challenge?

Emily Ann

docrobbysherry
10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
I know the health risks are bad. But I smoked for some 25+ years... hasn't the damage already been done? Am I now just adding a pickled liver and big belly into the mix?

Everyone is different of course. My father had smoked his whole life. Found out it was bad for him at age 55. He quit then and lived to be 91. No breathing problems his whole life. A good friend has started smoking at age
60. He is now 65 and the docs tell him the damage he is doing to his lungs is perminent. Life is a balance isn't it? We all have to die. We just don't know when and how!
Why do married men live longer than single men? Answer: They don't, it just FEELS like it!
RS

Marla S
10-24-2007, 11:05 AM
When socialising with friends I will sit and suffer. I want the new dress from Em. I have expensive tastes (now).
You could try smoked carrot sticks or smoked tofu sticks :lol: (less expensive than a pack of ciggies) ... but please don't light them :tongueout

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
We have a contest girls......Nikki and I are gonna race to see who reaches their weight goal first. We will officially start tomorrow (but we both know we will cheat and start right now)...giggle giggle. Ladies honor.

One of us will keep the group informed at regular intervals as to how far behind Nikki is. Haven't discussed details on the cost of this new dress (hey sis, I'm single...can it be a wedding dress? ) but we will work those things out like the friends we are.

Emily Ann

MJ - the glove is on the floor!! You up for it girl or are you chicken???? :heehee: :spank:

docrobbysherry
10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I think the weight loss contests sound great. But without know how tall each of u r, it's hard to compare the difficulty of your losses. I'm about 5'10" and look pretty good in 2 piece bathing suits at 155 max. So how tall r u contestants?
RS

myspace.com/robertsherry

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I think the weight loss contests sound great. But without know how tall each of u r, it's hard to compare the difficulty of your losses. I'm about 5'10" and look pretty good in 2 piece bathing suits at 155 max. So how tall r u contestants?
RS

myspace.com/robertsherry

Em says she's 6'0" and I'm 6'1"

JoAnnDallas
10-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Many years ago, I used to smoke. But quit almost 30 years ago. Since then I too gained weight and ended up with a pot belly. My wife has MS and about 2 years ago she had a down turn event. She has leveled off again, but it got me thinking, I need to stay healthy so I could be there for her. About the same time, my CDing really took off and I also wanted to get back down to a size 10/12 dress like I used to wear 30 years ago. I was a size 18 and almost 200 pounds. So I started dieting, working out, and changed my general eating habits. It has taken me over 2 years but Inow can get into many size 12 skirts and dresses and down to 150 pounds. I even went from a 39" waist to a 33" waist. I managed to loose most of my pot belly in the process. As result not only can I now wear MISSES size clothing, but my doctor was able to cut my Cholestrol and Blood Pressure med does in half. That in itself saves me a ton of money. I feel better, look better, feel a lot more sexier, and buying new drab and fem clothing to boot. My diet is my own and not one of the published ones.

Breakfest - boild egg, orange juice, decaf coffee
Lunch - Mixed fress fruit ( strawberries, blue berries, pineapple, bannas), a snack for later in the day, and water.
Dinner - A normal meal like anyone else would eat.

Walk 2 miles each evening.

KewTnCurvy GG
10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Nikki, the answer to your question is yes.

I broke my own rule, "Never date anyone who smokes."

I can not date people who smoke, it just doesn't work for me.

Anyhow, I'm back to being a non-smoker.

G'luck!

Kew

Gretchen
10-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Quitting smoking is a struggle for most of us and staying quit is a day at a time thing, for me at least. I quit for good 21 yrs ago after six years of failed attempts. I smoked at least 1.5 packs per day at the end and finally got scared of getting cancer because I felt like crap every morning, couging, hacking, sometimes worse.
Finally got to the point where I became willing to endure the "pain" of withdrawl and go to any length, no matter how crazy I got or how much weight I gained. It was a bumpy ride, for sure. Used the nicotine gum for one month, then went cold turkey when I started getting addicted to the gum.
Took about a year to get it all out of my system. At this point, i have no regrets and cannot stand to be around cigarette smoke.
I wish you luck and truly hope you can succeed.
It is definitely worth the effort.
Gretchen

Katie Moore
10-24-2007, 12:58 PM
:2c:

Stop hanging around with those "friends". Hang around with people who don't smoke.

Tell your SO to quit asap. Tell her why. Tell her she means alot to you and you and she need each other and being healthy is a good choice.

You gotta make some life changes personally and socialbly.

:love:

Katie

newtothelife
10-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi all,
I quit smoking alittle over 2 years ago. I found I gained about 15 pounds extra around the middle. The habit is the problem. I find I want to eat to keep my mouth and hands busy. I found gum helped with that. The other option is get out and exercise a little more. What ever you do I would not think that starting again is the answer. You beat one of the hardest addictions there is. It would be a shame to waste all that will power. Matbe you can use that same will power to cut back on the other things. Just my opinion, and we all know what they are worth. Good luck regardless.

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Stop hanging around with those "friends". Hang around with people who don't smoke.

Wow! That's a bit harsh LOL

whitney
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
When I gave it up I put on almost 50 pounds.
Nicotine is an appetite suppressant among other things.
Getting it out of your system ramps up your appetite. It's horrible to be at work and suddenly realize you're eating malted milk balls and not even remember buying them! :(
I had to make a choice, just like you do now. I honestly wanted to stop smoking for me. Not because ciggies are expensive or because anyone wanted me to. I wanted to, so I was motivated to not start back up.
I found that if I was going to eat, to at least make it count.
I switched to carrots and celery and other fruits and veggies. The sweetness helped with that "need" and since they're good for you and actually burn more calories than they contain, my weight started going back down.
Of course, I'm Irish so I will not under any circumstance ever give up my properly poured Guinness!!!

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
MJ, be warned if you enter this contest.... Emily Ann is cheating. Keeps sending me messages trying to taunt me with snickers bars, cheesecake factory cheescake and fresh cream chocolate eclairs.

Emily Ann Brown
10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Nice, rich, sinfully delicious double chocolate cheesecake.....yum yum yum !

Emily Ann

Kieron Andrew
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Emily Ann
ok hand it over i'll take the hard task of eating it to stop you girls with the temptation lol

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 01:34 PM

:notlistening:
Your lips are moving but all I hear is blah blah blah :tongueout

ok hand it over i'll take the hard task of eating it to stop you girls with the temptation lol

Here ya go!!

http://shop.thecheesecakefactory.com/PublicStore/catalog/Cheesecakes,92.aspx

MJ
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Emily Ann

thats not fair i have a lot more to lose

MJ - the glove is on the floor!! You up for it girl or are you chicken???? :heehee: :spank:

I'm no Chicken
well i do have a lot more to lose once upon a time i was 298 pounds then i lost 127 pounds and at 171 felt great but due to the stress of the last 7 months AND quitting smoking i went up to 219.4 :eek: Thats 48 pounds gain hence no pictures oh and my avatar is Gwen Stafani BTW ...cause i am FAT so i have to lose 54 pounds any up for that challenge ? :donut:

Emily Ann Brown
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Well we can race ya for the first 10 or so.

Emily Ann

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
thats not fair i have a lot more to lose

How about you agree to lose 16 pounds - same as me???

Well we can race ya for the first 10 or so.

Why don't we all do 16 lbs each? Or are you going chicken now Em???

MJ
10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
ok the first 16 it fine with me

Hmmmmm does this mean i get two dresses :D

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM

Only if you win :heehee:

Fancy a slice of this (http://shop.thecheesecakefactory.com/PublicStore/product/Pumpkin-Cheesecake-Seasonal,195,92.aspx) MJ? :devil:

Emily Ann Brown
10-24-2007, 02:00 PM
16 is fair.....(Em goes to bathroom to throw up).....losers gonna split the dress bill? (Nikki is unemployed). I have my eye on a beautiful wedding dress with train.

Emily Ann

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 02:12 PM
16 is fair.....(Em goes to bathroom to throw up).....losers gonna split the dress bill? (Nikki is unemployed). I have my eye on a beautiful wedding dress with train.

Splitting the bill is fine with me. :heehee:

Anyways, I have to go get my eyes tested. So I think Em and MJ should just relax while I'm gone. Kick your feet up, order a pizza and grab a big bag of salt & vinegar chips (you know, the addictive ones that makes your lips and taste buds go all tingly).

joselyn318
10-24-2007, 02:12 PM
I think smoking is the most disgusting habit. I have never smoked, but my mother and my grand parents did. I cannot stand the smell and it was awful on my asthma. Instead of catching up their awful lifestyle, I decided to join the track/cross country teams in high school. I have been running and eating a well balanced diet with a calorie intake consistent with active lifestyle.

If you want to lose weight how about eating a healthy and balanced diet coupled with an active lifestyle. You could use the money you used spend on cig's on a gym membership or a pair of running shoes. If you have hunger issues then just drink more water. It will fill up your stomach giving you a psychological feeling of feeling full. Many of the stomach pains people feel when they think hungry are a psychological hunger and not a physical hunger.

If I lost 10 lbs I would be borderline anorexic.

MJ
10-24-2007, 02:18 PM
hmmm sinfully delicious double chocolate cheesecake .. no wonder i look like homer Simpson in drag ..
and i think it's only fair ... one dress and the temporary losers chip in now thats being sports womanly , see you at the finnish line :p

marie354
10-24-2007, 03:24 PM
6 months before I came out fully, I started my diet. (Back in March) I only ate 1/4 of what I would normally at any meal. It worked for me and I lost 20 pounds.
I've been on the patch now for 5 weeks and have gained 5 pounds back. Eeek! It took me 6 months to go from a 12 to an 8 and now I'm closing on a 10 again! Well I guess it's time to skip lunches now. (Well maybe.)
Hehe.

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
see you at the finnish line :p

Oh yeah? ....if you two ever make it there :tongueout

-

Got my Rx - now I just need new eyeballs. :nerd:

Lucypink
10-24-2007, 04:20 PM
I have never smoked, but recently when Dressed and Parting and drinking, I smoke some slims cigarrets, they are so femenine that I love the feeling.... But I have to admit it, I have a soft spot on chocolates and deserts, so I know it is dificult to say no to my self... Any way stay away of cigarretes, drink a lot of plain water and try to do some exercise. Hugs.

Kris
10-24-2007, 04:21 PM

I am not going to say how much I weigh but I want to join this contest... is it on the honor system? Do I need to get a doctors note saying that I lost this weight? 16 lbs is not hard to do.... and lord knows I can live without this weight.

Kris

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I am not going to say how much I weigh but I want to join this contest... is it on the honor system? Do I need to get a doctors note saying that I lost this weight? 16 lbs is not hard to do.... and lord knows I can live without this weight.

Kris

Well I have no objections - more prize money for me. :p MJ, Em????

The tracking thread is in the lounge here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69533

First weight in will be on Monday. :dance:

Emily Ann Brown
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Nikki,

Get enough contestants in this and you will be able to get that cocktail napkin...oopsies...dress.....if you lose the 16 pounds first. HAHAHAHAHA!

I know Kriss and will vouch for her honesty.

Kriss,

Try a piece of this yummy double chocolate homemade cheesecake !

Emily Ann

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Nikki,

Get enough contestants in this and you will be able to get that cocktail napkin...oopsies...dress.....if you lose the 16 pounds first. HAHAHAHAHA!

And the cocktail [-]napkin[/-] dress will be mine dear!! Just you wait. :devil:

I know Kriss and will vouch for her honesty.

Kriss,

Try a piece of this yummy double chocolate homemade cheesecake !

Emily Ann

Kris, I recommend the chocolate mouse cheesecake personally. Fancy a slice??? It's really really yummy!

MJ
10-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I also know Kriss and will vouch for her honesty. and i can send a pizza right to her door :D

Nikki loves chocolate and what about Emily have to bug Joann she might know He He He

a cute cocktail napkin...oopsies...dress thing hmmm how about a skirt outfit matching shoes as well and a full photo shoot as well in the gallery

Kris
10-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I also know Kriss and will vouch for her honesty. and i can send a pizza right to her door :D

Nikki loves chocolate and what about Emily have to bug Joann she might know He He He

a cute cocktail napkin...oopsies...dress thing hmmm how about a skirt outfit matching shoes as well and a full photo shoot as well in the gallery

Alrighty then,

I am going to beat you all. I put in for a request for lizzard spit insulin and that makes you loose weight anyway.. hahahaha but I don't know when it will come in. It costs $300.00 a month so I have been without it.

Another thing, I can't eat the sugar that you three can eat, even if I wanted to......... so I have an advantage on you three. The draw back is that I screwed up my back having kids, and so doing a lot of aerobics are out of the question... hmmmmm......... time for me to get in a pool!! Yeah in Oregon where we don't TAN in the summer, we RUST!

:hugs: Kris

PS the WAR is on!!

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Em, MJ, Kris... this is how you should handle things when asked if you want some cake...

8_DLByCZqHw

paulaN
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
nikki please don't start again. I know you are going through some hard times because of smoking family and friends. But don't start again. It's not worth it.
I quit smoking late January of this year I know what you are going through. lets see I have gained a little over 20 lbs. I am now up to a wopping 188# that's almost 25# dang that sucks. It's a good thing I quit drinking 4 years ago or I would have put on 40 lbs. with this quitting thing.
Now lets see here. If you start smoking again do you really think that weight is going to come off. Noooo!!!! I think not! So what do you get for starting smoking again, nothing, you will be a smoker, and a fat smoker at that. Look you have gotten over the big hump a very big hump at that. don't start again.
Do try to talk to your wife into quitting again. I think that might be part of your problem. You got throught it and she starts again. what's up with that. Is she trying to make your life he** or what.
Also girls I want a new dress too but I have to lose 20 lbs to get into the old ones I have. 25 would be better. But for right now I am going to tryto watch what I eat and not gain weight. I have a pot belly and I hate it. but it is better than smoking.
I took this pic sunday. Ugly huh. I will not start smoking again and have this weight too. I lost the smokes I can loose the weight too. I hope.
So nikki don't start again things could be worse. Just look at me.

MJ
10-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Paula thats noting omg do you want to see my belly i look 7 months pregnant "sorry gg" i am so round little people get stuck in orbit

paulaN
10-24-2007, 09:10 PM
It took me twenty years to go from 145 to 165. It only took 6 months to get to 185. Once I stopped the pills I ballooned right up. So it's time to start eating right and get more exersize. And not smoke.

nikki_t
10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Paula thats noting omg do you want to see my belly i look 7 months pregnant "sorry gg" i am so round little people get stuck in orbit

It took me twenty years to go from 145 to 165. It only took 6 months to get to 185. Once I stopped the pills I ballooned right up. So it's time to start eating right and get more exersize. And not smoke.

Don't feel too bad, you should see mine Paula. Mine looks worse because the rest of me is still quite skinny/lanky. I never had any meat on my bones to begin with so you definitely carry yours better than I can LOL :o

crunchysoda
10-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I lost my grandfather a year before I was born due to lung cancer (from smoking), he was in his late 50's.

I know about food addiction. Right now Im slowly losing weight. How Im doing it, is eating small meals/snacks,200-300 calories a piece sixe times a day. You could get away w/eating a bit more depending on how much you weight.

Im 5'4, 159lbs. My goal weight is 130lbs. I bought the "Eat All Day Diet" to give me more meal ideas. Just received but havent read all of it yet.

Overeating and drinking are bad but so is smoking. I dont think you should go back to smoking. Youve come this far..you need to find another more healthy substitute.

I have found w/eating every two to three hours my food cravings have gone *way* down and I never feel like Im staring myself. Eat small but often also increases your metabolism, anyway ..it was just a thought.

goofus
10-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I found that if I was going to eat, to at least make it count.
I switched to carrots and celery and other fruits and veggies. The sweetness helped with that "need" and since they're good for you and actually burn more calories than they contain, my weight started going back down.

Good advice Whitney!! Sort of similar to what I was saying...

MJ
10-25-2007, 10:34 AM
there is some great advice .. but if some of you have never smoked then you don't understand .. addiction. is so strong and god there are times a cigarette is sooo good .. and when your partner takes up the habit it would be so easy to start up again ... but don't the myth that if we start up again then we will lose weight is not true ... now you have two problems
hang in there Nikki you can do it ...

nikki_t
10-25-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm trying. But I got these two friends over the road and I missed one of their b-days this week so I promised I'd take them out to dinner. Guess where they picked?

Cheesecake Factory of all places!! :Angry3:

So I'm going "No!" and they're going "Yes!". But it's her b-day and my promise so I can't take it back now. OMG it seems TPTB really hate me!! :(

juliauklondon
10-25-2007, 06:18 PM
tonight hasn't been a great one for me, tears and alcohol (great mix) , but this fairytale made me smile. Needless to say we in Uk haven't heard about the smoking license yet.

Lots of love Julia

btw - just a thought but my solution was to keep off the fags , exercise a bit and enjoy guilt free chocolate.

btw 2 do all americans carry guns ........lol

Just today I heard in UK news something about implementing a £200 a year "addicts license" just to be able to buy smokes!!

Kris
10-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm trying. But I got these two friends over the road and I missed one of their b-days this week so I promised I'd take them out to dinner. Guess where they picked?

Cheesecake Factory of all places!! :Angry3:

So I'm going "No!" and they're going "Yes!". But it's her b-day and my promise so I can't take it back now. OMG it seems TPTB really hate me!! :(

Okay my belly has ALL of yours beat! I have been pregnant 5 times, birthed four children... two in my 20's and two in my 30's..... PLUS had complicated bed rest pregnancies that I had to lay in bed and EAT....... it was a horror story. I've had serious surgeries and even if I get skinny, my body will still be deformed.. but from my belly button up, I don't look too bad! My friends are all jealous because I didn't get stretch marks.

Anyway Nikki, you know how misery loves company?? These people seem to just be nice and concerned for your health and life... I say...

Screw em! :tongueout It's time that I have some company since I am miserable.. come on over and I will share my smokes with you AND....... WE can make chocolate chip cookies! :tongueout

Just one cookie......... you can eat it....... it's just tiny.. it even has cocaine.. wait.. no I mean cinnamon... oops no... I think I'll have them DESTROYED.........

You're a nut..

Kris
10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
tonight hasn't been a great one for me, tears and alcohol (great mix) , but this fairytale made me smile. Needless to say we in Uk haven't heard about the smoking license yet.

Lots of love Julia

btw - just a thought but my solution was to keep off the fags , exercise a bit and enjoy guilt free chocolate.

Julia love,

People in the states don't know that fags means smokes.. so be very careful posting such a thing!

What exactly IS guilt free chocolate?

Not all Americans carry guns - but us smart ones do! :heehee:

nikki_t
10-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Lots of love Julia

Well here's the news link:
Charge smokers for the right to buy cigarettes (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/23/nsmoking123.xml)

Kris is right about the "fags" thing BTW LOL

Not all Americans carry guns but in most states you can take a safety/training course and take a test and get a concealed carry license. I got mine a while back and regularly carry a gun. Why? Because I can't carry a cop.

Anyway Nikki, you know how misery loves company?? These people seem to just be nice and concerned for your health and life... I say...

Screw em! :tongueout It's time that I have some company since I am miserable.. come on over and I will share my smokes with you AND....... WE can make chocolate chip cookies! :tongueout

Just one cookie......... you can eat it....... it's just tiny.. it even has cocaine.. wait.. no I mean cinnamon... oops no... I think I'll have them DESTROYED.........

You're a nut..

I would if you weren't so far away :cry: but perhaps you're just trying to win me over with cookies so you can win the bet???

Glad you liked the Father Ted clip. Good huh?

Kris
10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Kris is right about the "fags" thing BTW LOL

I got mine a while back and regularly carry a gun. Why? Because I can't carry a cop.

perhaps you're just trying to win me over with cookies so you can win the bet???

Glad you liked the Father Ted clip. Good huh?

OH my GOD Father Ted made me GAG! I don't think anything that makes me gag is good.. well there are somethings... :heehee: :tongueout

Yes, cookies would be to make me win the bet and I am not going to tell you what I did to burn calories tonight...... hahahahaaaa! You'd never believe me.

My dad was a cop and he still got beat up on occasion, so I think that you're carrying a gun is a smart idea... because cops aren't infallible.

:hugs: and :love:'s,
Kris

nikki_t
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
OH my GOD Father Ted made me GAG! I don't think anything that makes me gag is good.. well there are somethings... :heehee: :tongueout

The cookie clip made you gag??? :eek: Or perhaps you mean the ear wax clip I have on my myspace page :heehee:

You know, we could all lose weight really easily by eating with Memosian anti-matter chopsticks: :D

bB5izV79nps

docrobbysherry
10-26-2007, 12:07 AM
The cookie clip made you gag??? :eek: Or perhaps you mean the ear wax clip I have on my myspace page :heehee:

You know, we could all lose weight really easily by eating with Memosian anti-matter chopsticks: :D

bB5izV79nps

We don't have a dog anymore. So, I think Memosian am chopsticks r out of the question at our house. Look like a great diet mechanisms, however.

RS

Kris
10-26-2007, 01:39 AM

bB5izV79nps

the ear wax one made me gag! Then the cookie clip made me laugh, thinking of how I can make you beg for cookies, even though you might not want to eat them because of our bet......

I can't watch the anti-matter chopsticks..... few seconds and BLAH......... turned that off QUICK baybee! :puke:

So help me, if I do get sick, I am coming to Texas and you are gonna get wet because it will be your fault....

But then again, puking might help me lose weight....... :D

Beth-GDB
10-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I haven't read al the posts inteh thread. I'm a smoker and i really should stop, one of those days.

Anyway, the story that "smoking helps keep you slim" doesn't mean what people think it does. Apparently recent report are claining that the loss in weight is due to degradation of internal organs, not keeping fat off.

Twyla
10-26-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm a smoker, years ago I stopped to smoke for a year, I became fat, experienced shortness of breath, suddenly I became unable to climb stairs, I fell my body full, full, full. My corset became unwearable, when I looked in the mirror I looked horrible. Generally speaking my life turned grey, I lost interest in everything. After a year I started smoking again. I lost quickly my extra body weight, the shortness of breathing wanished, runnig up on the stairs five levels ceased to be a problem. My body started to look reasonable again, I was able to dress all my clothes again. And I have lots. Among them even a few male clothes. (Not too many, my skirts outnumber ten times my pants, and even the pants are not purchased from men's clothing stores.)

I'm not sure if the smoking is as harmful as they say but I'm sure to much food and a a fat body are.

The smoking ban became an issue after the year 2000. The World Health Organization pressured heavily the countries of the world to take action against smokers. The WHO doesn't have a source of revenue, their money is from contributions of the member countries, a richer country has a bigger contribution. The most important contributor is the USA. It's obvious that the organization will do what the major contributors want, especially the USA. And all started after 2000. What turning change happened in the USA in 2000 ? OK, the answer is obvious, I only can hope that after 2008, things will return to normal. Normal meaning that you are allowed to decide for yourself and the government will not ignore your choices.

It's not necessary to start smoking again to regain the shape of your body. In the same way you quitted smoking, you may try to quit eating more than necessary.

One option is to face several restrictions: do not smoke, do not eat more than the minimal necessity. (Not to mention that you already have restrictions to wear what you like.) And you will have, hopefully, a very long (and boring) life. The part about the "lenght" it's not quite sure, the part about the "boredom" is.

The other option is to do everything you like, and maybe, just maybe, your life will be a few years shorter.

I chosed the last option but if you want you can do the opposite.
I respect your right to make decisions for yourself (even though some politicians will disagree, they want us to live our lives their way.)

Twyla
10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Apparently recent report are claining that the loss in weight is due to degradation of internal organs, not keeping fat off.

This sentence insults the readers intelligence.

When you smoke, you eat much less. And believe me, if you eat less you will gain less weight.
Simply, when you feel that you need something, if you are a non smoker you go to the fridge. If you are a smoker, you lit up a cigarette. That's the big secret why smokers gain less weight.

The sentence I quoted is a good example of what the whole antismoker campaign is: series of exagerations (to not say something else).

Kris
10-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Anyway, the story that "smoking helps keep you slim" doesn't mean what people think it does. Apparently recent report are claining that the loss in weight is due to degradation of internal organs, not keeping fat off.

Smokers have dead taste buds, and so when you stop food becomes more tasty and you like it more........so you eat more. Then there is the hand to mouth stuff....

I have no idea what report you read that said that smoking degrades your organs but I am sure it's not possible unless it's from lack of oxygen. So muscles, yes, but organs, I think not.

Kris

PS Nikki.. I think it's started! :tongueout

nikki_t
10-26-2007, 10:58 AM
PS Nikki.. I think it's started! :tongueout

Yeah!! :stirthepot: Actually though it's all very interesting. I remember the old days when you could smoke on buses and even on airplanes. I remember a couple of my teachers at high school lighting up in class. It's amazing how fast society can change it's views on subjects. All it takes is a handful of very vocal protesters willing to take up a fight.

I find it interesting that the only doctor (as far as I know, no one else is) replying to my thread took a more laid back view on the subject. But then you get others who are either for or against smoking big time.

From what I understand, the WHO is part of the UN and will produce reports stating exactly what the paying "sponsor" wants to hear. That being said, I think we all know full well that smoking is bad for us no matter which way you chop and dice it.

I know that when I smoked, I barely ever had any appetite. I could eat a few crackers & cheese for lunch and I'd be sorted till dinner time. Now I couldn't do that. So I know that smoking definitely suppressed my appetite.

However, getting back to the original point of this thread. It's not all about the smoking. It's about balancing the vices out. Eating, drinking and smoking. I am both eating and drinking much more now that I stopped smoking. Gravity has taken over my belly. I could try and cut down on all the vices but then I think I'd go insane.

docrobbysherry
10-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm a smoker, years ago I stopped to smoke for a year, I became fat, experienced shortness of breath, suddenly I became unable to climb stairs, I fell my body full, full, full.
The other option is to do everything you like, and maybe, just maybe, your life will be a few years shorter.

I chosed the last option but if you want you can do the opposite.
I respect your right to make decisions for yourself (even though some politicians will disagree, they want us to live our lives their way.)

Apparently, some people feel healthier when smoking. And traded a few years of your life may be a good exchange for these people. However, the risk comes not from dying early. It comes from living too long; with emphasyma, lung, or some other cancer, dragging around a canister of oxigen and removing their face mask long enough to take another drag. Visit a hospital. See for yourself how horrible the results of smoking can be.
RS

Kris
10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
I find it interesting that the only doctor (as far as I know, no one else is) replying to my thread took a more laid back view on the subject. But then you get others who are either for or against smoking big time.

I know that when I smoked, I barely ever had any appetite. I could eat a few crackers & cheese for lunch and I'd be sorted till dinner time. Now I couldn't do that. So I know that smoking definitely suppressed my appetite.

However, getting back to the original point of this thread. It's not all about the smoking. It's about balancing the vices out. Eating, drinking and smoking. I am both eating and drinking much more now that I stopped smoking. Gravity has taken over my belly. I could try and cut down on all the vices but then I think I'd go insane.

First Nikki ~

We don't know what kind of doctor she is, or if she is imaginatively a doctor..... you can get your doctorate in many things.

Nicotine does all kinds of things for your body, includes speeding up your metabolism as well. It speeds everything up, so you burn more calories by smoking as well as reducing your appetite.

Does it bother you that the topic has gone astray?

paulaN
10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Smoking and weight gain. Both are bad for your health.
I still say don't start again Nikki

crunchysoda
10-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Julia love,

People in the states don't know that fags means smokes.. so be very careful posting such a thing!

What exactly IS guilt free chocolate?

Not all Americans carry guns - but us smart ones do! :heehee:

Im an American and I know what "fag" means in the UK.

I dont own a gun and won't. :rolleyes::tongueout
My bf owns a paintball gun and a baseball bat, that's good enough for me!!

I think Father Ted is hilarious!!!

I use to smoke here and there, as in only when drinking and only maybe 2 or 3 cigs, and I didnt drink but maybe once or twice a month.
Now it's even less and my bf doesnt smoke at all, so Ive stopped even doing that.

I have a little bit of asthma too so no cigs for me!!

So far my eating a little, but often is working, my cravings have really gone down, and Im a true sugar addict, the whole "cant eat just one" totally applies to me. I feel "lighter" and have more energy and Im losing weight.

nikki_t
10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Does it bother you that the topic has gone astray?

Well it's not really gone astray... more a case of mostly people are focusing on one part of the whole topic... namely the smoking part. Which is OK and kind of expected because I said I had been contemplating starting again. However, I guess the point was that because I've not been smoking, I've been over-indulging on the food and the booze to kind of make up for it. It's interesting that not many have mentioned the extra intake of alcohol and how bad that can be for one's body too. Just an observation. :eek:

Kris
10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Im an American and I know what "fag" means in the UK.

I dont own a gun and won't. :rolleyes::tongueout
My bf owns a paintball gun and a baseball bat, that's good enough for me!!

I think Father Ted is hilarious!!!

I use to smoke here and there, as in only when drinking and only maybe 2 or 3 cigs, and I didnt drink but maybe once or twice a month.
Now it's even less and my bf doesnt smoke at all, so Ive stopped even doing that.

I have a little bit of asthma too so no cigs for me!!

So far my eating a little, but often is working, my cravings have really gone down, and Im a true sugar addict, the whole "cant eat just one" totally applies to me. I feel "lighter" and have more energy and Im losing weight.

:D Aren't you just the exception to the rule! :tongueout

Hey those paintball guns are serious because you can freeze the balls and it causes damage when you hit someone. So those count.. Nanny nanny Boo Boo! LMAO

You are just an exception to all the rules.

paulaN
10-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't know how you can drink and stay off the cigs. I never could. That's when my will power would break down. Then I would be back to a pack a day just like that. You have to, I have to deal with one thing at a time. I still say DON'T START AGAIN! deal with the drinking and weight after the cigs.

MJ
10-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Paula

your taking away all my fun ... don't drink , don't smoke , don't EAT ... whats next... your turning me in to a nun ... nun of this and nun of that and certainly nun of the other :rolleyes:

Honey Blue
10-26-2007, 06:58 PM
People who smoke don't look sexey. I prefer to look sexey.

docrobbysherry
10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Well it's not really gone astray... more a case of mostly people are focusing on one part of the whole topic... namely the smoking part. Which is OK and kind of expected because I said I had been contemplating starting again. However, I guess the point was that because I've not been smoking, I've been over-indulging on the food and the booze to kind of make up for it. It's interesting that not many have mentioned the extra intake of alcohol and how bad that can be for one's body too. Just an observation. :eek:

I would never advise anyone that has just quit smoking to slow down their drinking, too. Cut only one vice at a time! Besides, the drinking will dull the pain of not smoking anymore. Plus u have an advantage if u start smoking again. The booze will dull the pain of the -------------- ( fill in the blank) disease u will probably get from smoking.
RS

paulaN
10-26-2007, 08:41 PM
MJ I gave up drinking on my own, I gave up smoking on my own one thing I will never give up on my own is sex and food. If I ever give them up, it had better be death that gave them up for me.

Kris
10-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Paula

your taking away all my fun ... don't drink , don't smoke , don't EAT ... whats next... your turning me in to a nun ... nun of this and nun of that and certainly nun of the other :rolleyes:

MJ,
Paula didn't say nun of sex!
Isn't that be best vise to keep?
Kris

nikki_t
10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey those paintball guns are serious because you can freeze the balls and it causes damage when you hit someone. So those count.. Nanny nanny Boo Boo! LMAO

I once got hit in the nether region with one. I can attest to the fact they ARE dangerous. :eek:

People who smoke don't look sexey. I prefer to look sexey.

:lol2:

I would never advise anyone that has just quit smoking to slow down their drinking, too. Cut only one vice at a time! Besides, the drinking will dull the pain of not smoking anymore. Plus u have an advantage if u start smoking again. The booze will dull the pain of the -------------- ( fill in the blank) disease u will probably get from smoking.
RS

Doc you're so funny! But I like the way you don't lecture your patients. Have a drink on me. :drink:

MJ I gave up drinking on my own, I gave up smoking on my own one thing I will never give up on my own is sex and food. If I ever give them up, it had better be death that gave them up for me.

I'm trying my best Paula. It would be a crying shame to start again now. I smoked for so long but have quit for over a year. It's tough but I'm fighting it. :thumbsup:

Suzie Green
10-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Nikki, you put on weight after you stopped smoking because it was just something to do. It's a proven psychological fact, that to cure a bad habit, you have to replace it with something when you give it up. Unfortunately, most people turn to food as the replacement! The trouble is, if you start smoking again, there is a good chance you won't give up the food that you're now eating, so you'll end up with the worst of both worlds...being an overweight smoker!

There are no short cuts and quick fixes to weight loss. I'm not telling you something you don't already know. I've battled both smoking and weight problems before, so I feel your pain. I have been smoke free for over 30 years, and exercise and a sensible eating plan has put me into the best shape of my life...at 59 years old!

The only solution to a weight problem is just that...finding something to replace the bad habit of over-eating. Can you join a health club, start a walking or exercise routine, find a friend willing to do it with you? It's always easier when you have someone else who is rowing the same boat with you! Good luck and I hope you can find the solution...but assuredly it is not smoking again...do yourself and family and friends a favor and don't go down that route. We all want you around for many more years...please don't shorten your life with that nasty habit!

Hehehehe...sorry, I guess I sound like your Mom. I'll get off my soapbox now! :heehee:

MJ
10-27-2007, 08:32 AM
MJ I gave up drinking on my own, I gave up smoking on my own one thing
I will never give up on my own is sex and food. If I ever give them up, it had better be death that gave them up for me.

MJ,
Paula didn't say nun of sex!

Isn't that be best vise to keep?:hugs:
Kris

as far as smoking goes you either love or hate it ... and i chose to hate it ..
at least i could have one vise ..... sooo Kris what you up too :straightface:

nikki_t
10-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Hehehehe...sorry, I guess I sound like your Mom. I'll get off my soapbox now! :heehee:

Yes mom! OK mom! Will do mom! :heehee:

charlie-50
11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Nikki, you put on weight after you stopped smoking because it was just something to do. It's a proven psychological fact, that to cure a bad habit, you have to replace it with something when you give it up. Unfortunately, most people turn to food as the replacement! The trouble is, if you start smoking again, there is a good chance you won't give up the food that you're now eating, so you'll end up with the worst of both worlds...being an overweight smoker!

There are no short cuts and quick fixes to weight loss. I'm not telling you something you don't already know. I've battled both smoking and weight problems before, so I feel your pain. I have been smoke free for over 30 years, and exercise and a sensible eating plan has put me into the best shape of my life...at 59 years old!

The only solution to a weight problem is just that...finding something to replace the bad habit of over-eating. Can you join a health club, start a walking or exercise routine, find a friend willing to do it with you? It's always easier when you have someone else who is rowing the same boat with you! Good luck and I hope you can find the solution...but assuredly it is not smoking again...do yourself and family and friends a favor and don't go down that route. We all want you around for many more years...please don't shorten your life with that nasty habit!

Yeah girls i gave cigs 7yrs ago and dont miss them....but right after i quit i gained 20#s so if yall are gitting ready to quit ...better have a exercise and diet plain in standby....charlie...:hugs:

nikki_t
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah girls i gave cigs 7yrs ago and dont miss them....but right after i quit i gained 20#s so if yall are gitting ready to quit ...better have a exercise and diet plain in standby....charlie...:hugs:

Heh. I gained 30... and all on my belly Charlie!! Look at my myspace profile pic (below) - you can clearly see my belly and here I'm wearing a corset as tight as possible!! (ssshhh don't tell anyone). :Angry3:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/nikki_t_1968/DSC_0002_4.jpg

The good news is that I started losing it. We have a little compo going between me, Kris, MJ and Emily Ann. First to lose 16 lbs and the losers (ie. Kris, MJ and Em) have to chip in for a new dress for the winner (ie. me). :D Got my eye on a nice little red number!!

sexotik
11-01-2007, 09:03 PM
My advice would be walk! Walking is a great exercise , I keep my figure by walking 5 days a week 30, and i also do exercise everyday but not too intense. How do you go to work?by car? by bus? Well hope it works and u get back your figure. besosss,Abril

Colleentg
11-01-2007, 09:07 PM
it's a hard part of life, decisions, decisions.

I've noticed one other thing it seemed no one mentioned yet. Cleaner clothing! I dug out one of my white blouses out of the closet, that I hadn't worn in about five months. To my dismay, the exposed area (top of hanger, sleeves) that wasn't against other clothing was discolored/stained from the smoke! And, no, I don't leave my closet door open! But smoke does creep where it can. I did get the stain out with bleach, but some things you cannot bleach at all!

MJ
11-01-2007, 09:15 PM
my god Nikki you look great Evan with a corset !!! i should post a picture here and you will see :eek:

and when you and Kris n em lose to me .. i have my eye on a cute little number myself

PS don't feel bad .. have some chocolate it'll make you feel better

nikki_t
11-01-2007, 10:14 PM
my god Nikki you look great Evan with a corset !!! i should post a picture here and you will see :eek:

and when you and Kris n em lose to me .. i have my eye on a cute little number myself

PS don't feel bad .. have some chocolate it'll make you feel better

Heh well I should reiterate... I wouldn't mind if everything was in proportion. I have only put weight on around my belly - not my entire body. That's what's bugging me. If it was evenly spread then I wouldn't be too bothered. LOL Anyways, just to give you an example... I know there's ladies here who use tape (or similar) to create "cleavage" effect. I don't even have enough flesh to do that!!!! Yet my belly makes me look 7 months pregnant!!! :eek:

I've seen your pics MJ and you look great. And I think I'll skip the choccies and let you share 'em with Kris and Em. You all deserve 'em for being good friends and then you can all sit around with chocolate on your faces and tell me how nice my new red cocktail dress is once you all chip in to buy it for me. :thumbsup:

Kris
11-01-2007, 11:00 PM
as far as smoking goes you either love or hate it ... and i chose to hate it ..
at least i could have one vise ..... sooo Kris what you up too :straightface:

MJ,

Honey when you proposition a woman you are supposed to at least have a smile on your face, not some frowny number or even straight. Humor me, for goodness sake!

I would surely invite ya over MJ, but sex is exercise and I am not about to help you burn calories :tongueout Besides love, we haven't even met - what kind of a girl do you think I am? It's easy to be a good girl on the internet, (Ooops, did I just give myself away?) I meant that it's easy for YOU to deceive me on the internet.

I am out hunting for a lover on my own so that I can burn those calories from my green beans. :heehee:

Kris

PS.. now if you were willing to eat one of those chocolate cheese cakes before........................

:winking:

docrobbysherry
11-02-2007, 12:19 AM
My advice would be walk! Walking is a great exercise , I keep my figure by walking 5 days a week 30, and i also do exercise everyday but not too intense. How do you go to work?by car? by bus? Well hope it works and u get back your figure. besosss,Abril

But, here in the good old US of A, we don't walk anywhere. Heck, my ex would drive half a block to the gym for a workout. And drive 2 miles on her way "home", to pick up a 3,000 calorie Starbucks Slopachino. And Nikki, u 'd look slim, standing next to her!
RS

www.myspace.com/robertsherry

Delila
11-02-2007, 01:06 AM
I would have to say that if you have managed the nic hold on you you should stay away. nicotine changes the way that you brains works and basically rewires your electrical impulses to work the way the nicotine wants them to. i have smoked most of my life i managed to quit for about 6 months then started again. if the issue was something so small as your figure honestly start excersizing and save yourself the money plus you will end up healthier in the end. I heard that pillaties is great to give yourself a femme figure.

Suzy Harrison
11-02-2007, 01:17 AM
That's part of the problem. I'm spending the money on snickers bars

I'm appalled....... that's very bad for you !! :eek: ....... - you should really try a Mars Bar and a Diet Coke !

"It works for me" :heehee:

Sedona
11-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Moore

Wow! That's a bit harsh LOL

Nikki,

Well, I agree with Katie. It's like anything, if you hang around with folks who stand on the corner shooting dice and dealing drugs, guess what, you'll almost certainly start doing that. If you hang out with people who are into quilting, guess what, you'll probably go buy a sewing machine and some fabric.

Look, you don't have to start ditching your friends, but meeting a few more who are into fitness is one way to defeat this. Moving from South Texas to someplace like Miami or San Diego would help, where there are more pressures to not smoke, but that's unrealistic. You get my point though.

I'm not a smoker, and have never even tried it, so I'm not about to tell you how easy it is to quit, because I have no clue. But, what I do know is that you'll go a long way by making your surroundings condusive to your not smoking. Too bad your girlfriend has picked up the habit again. Maybe you can give a non-smoking predge to each other for an early holiday present?

I've seen too many friends and family die from various cancers that were preventable. Not many young smokers think about this, but it's a pretty nasty way to go.

And, I call BS on the comment that slim "girly" smokes are somehow healthier than thicker ones.

Karren H
11-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Well instead of dressing up as much, go out and exersize!!! Ya only have so much time in a day and if you take away a half hour from dressing or watching or god forbid POSTING HERE!!! Go use it wisely... I took up ice hockey again and lost 50 pounds over 9 months.... Now I exersize daily (Walks, roller skating, ice hockey....) in one form or another cause I WILL NOT relapse into my older larger self.... Got to want it bad or your never going to get there.....

Oh and no snacks after dinner and portion control!!!

Kris
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Heh. I gained 30... and all on my belly Charlie!! Look at my myspace profile pic (below) - you can clearly see my belly and here I'm wearing a corset as tight as possible!! (ssshhh don't tell anyone). :Angry3:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/nikki_t_1968/DSC_0002_4.jpg

The good news is that I started losing it. We have a little compo going between me, Kris, MJ and Emily Ann. First to lose 16 lbs and the losers (ie. Kris, MJ and Em) have to chip in for a new dress for the winner (ie. me). :D Got my eye on a nice little red number!!

Dang.. I think you are a hot momma!

nikki_t
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
But, here in the good old US of A, we don't walk anywhere.

That is very true actually!! When I first came here I was amazed that people would come out of a shop, get in their car and drive 50 yards further down the parking lot to go into another shop!

I'm appalled....... that's very bad for you !! :eek: ....... - you should really try a Mars Bar and a Diet Coke !

Hehehehe :p

Well, I agree with Katie. It's like anything, if you hang around with folks who stand on the corner shooting dice and dealing drugs, guess what, you'll almost certainly start doing that. If you hang out with people who are into quilting, guess what, you'll probably go buy a sewing machine and some fabric.

And, I call BS on the comment that slim "girly" smokes are somehow healthier than thicker ones.

I appreciate your concern Sedona but I don't have a 9-5 job like most folks so I don't have many friends to begin with. Good friends are hard to come by and even harder to keep. But thanks again for the thought.

BTW, the slim girly smokes thing is a bit of a private joke between me and Tina. ;)

lost 50 pounds over 9 months....

Good lord woman!! That's good going! (Or you gave birth to a BIG baby after the 9 months!!) :heehee:

Dang.. I think you are a hot momma!

Thanks Kris!! I like your new "serious" avatar. Very hot. But it's hard to take you too seriously with your tongue down Uncle Fester's throat. :heehee:

MJ
11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
MJ,

Honey when you proposition a woman you are supposed to at least have a smile on your face, not some frowny number or even straight. Humor me, for goodness sake!

I would surely invite ya over MJ, but sex is exercise and I am not about to help you burn calories :tongueout Besides love, we haven't even met - what kind of a girl do you think I am? It's easy to be a good girl on the internet, (Ooops, did I just give myself away?) I meant that it's easy for YOU to deceive me on the internet.

I am out hunting for a lover on my own so that I can burn those calories from my green beans. :heehee:

Kris

PS.. now if you were willing to eat one of those chocolate cheese cakes before........................

:winking:

hmm chocolate cheese cake ..that sounds good :D, and it's only been 5 days since i started my diet
Honey when you proposition a woman you are supposed to at least have a smile on your face
it's so nice to know i can still catch the girls ... but ER it's been so long that i forgot what to do when i catch them :heehee:
besides i don't think uncle fester would approve

Cara Allen
11-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel! I started smoking again, a few years ago because when I looked in the mirror sideways, I looked like Santa Claus! I hated it. The weight has come back off nicely, I am about where I was when I quit last time, and now I want to quit again.

I know from experience that if I quit I will gain weight. Period. I am currently loosing weight, while smoking, and want to get off about 20 pounds, just to get skinny before I quit again.

What happens, from my experience is several things. 1) food tastes better, so you eat more. 2) your metabolism changes, so even if you eat less, you need less, so you gain weight anyway. 3) Since you have no oral satisfaction-substitute, you use food for an oral fix.

If you look around America, you see lots and lots of overweight people. I wonder if you polled them, how many would be ex smokers, and how many attribute their overeweight to stopping the ciggys? I would be willing to be that there are a bunch!

Kris
11-02-2007, 03:03 PM
hmm chocolate cheese cake ..that sounds good :D, and it's only been 5 days since i started my diet
Honey when you proposition a woman you are supposed to at least have a smile on your face
it's so nice to know i can still catch the girls ... but ER it's been so long that i forgot what to do when i catch them :heehee:
besides i don't think uncle fester would approve

OMG! I am gonna scream. Do you think Uncle Fester is a LIVE person? He is a FAKE HEAD that my friend got to scare her kids for Halloween! There is no body for him, not even a BLOW UP ONE! :laughing: :lol: :lol2:

Seriously though, 4 people have asked me who he is........ I thought it was overwhelmingly obvious that he is a fake head. So who cares what he thinks,, wanna dance?

:love: Kris

MJ
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
LOL fine let me get my Dancing shoes on :D :love:

TV Wannabe
11-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Its now illegal to smoke within 200 feet of any public building here in Ohio, I don't think they enforce it too much.

Kris
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
LOL fine let me get my Dancing shoes on :D :love:

Honey, dancing as in the horizontal mambo! What time are you getting here? I get to watch you eat that cheesecake first!!:love:

nikki_t
11-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Its now illegal to smoke within 200 feet of any public building here in Ohio, I don't think they enforce it too much.

200 ft is a little harsh when you consider the smokers are out in the open! :eek: I mean, if you work in an area that is full of public buildings (such as a city center or high street) you can't even stand in the middle of the road and smoke. :straightface: