PDA

View Full Version : Out & About?

marie354
10-26-2007, 01:04 PM
These days I'm out and about every day. 60 days now and still counting.

The first time I went out was with a friend, just to a store to get cigarettes. (I've quit smoking now.) I was very nervous, needless to say, but it all went well. Some guy even initiated a conversation while I was waiting line. What a confidence booster.
I had already been wearing women's slacks, jeans and shorts & tops since last April anyway, as I had purged all my men's clothes, it was all I had.
Then after I announced in my weekly drepression group that I was a crossdresser and I was coming out... (A big step for me indeed.) Everyone praised my courage in speaking up at that time.
Two weeks later, out came the skirts & dresses, and I've been wearing them ever since.
The following weeks in the group were met with comments about by makeup, hair, or a wrinkle in my skirt. The women there liked to pick on me at first. Now everything they say is complimentary... Who does your nails, or I like that top, or those are really nice shoes.
Dressing every day was the biggest thrill at first. I tried to decide what I was going to wear the night before, but then I'd change my mind in the morning and pick out something else. Now, whatever my mood depicts in the morning, that's what I wear all day. Mostly skirts & tops. It's easy to mix and match that way.

Now I'm living as a woman every day and have just been asked to start an adult computer learning group. Woo-Hoo!
The class room is in the basement of the police department building and has all of 16 computers that I maintain. It'll be a couple of weeks before I actually start teaching, and probably a few months before the grant money for newer equipment starts to flow and I'm just so excited about the whole thing, I don't know how to act.
I really wish I had started this 30 years ago.
I hope that I will never have to wear slacks or jeans again.

I thought that I'd write a bit about what's been going on in my life because I haven't been able to go on line very oftin. Well that will change now that I have free unlimited internet access.
No more hiding in the closet for me anymore, and I know that this is just the beginning of a whole new chapter in my life. Wow! I've done it. Fully out and loving every minute. Not having to worry about removing my nail polish is a big plus. And my stress levels have gone way down.
My very best friend and partner, Regina, has helped my through the entire process and it's supprising at how many people now think of me as a woman.
Where do I go from here? After getting over the fear-of-the-fear? Everything has been so positive in the last two months, the only comments that I've had are from kids... Are you a boy or a girl... To which I reply, I used to be a boy and now I'm not. The younger ones probably don't understand too much yet, but the older ones seem to. All-in-all, I've been accepted by everyone I meet and it's been a plus-plus situation. (So far anyway)

May the pluses keep rolling on!

XOXDOXOXO
Sandra Marie

Julie York
10-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Congratulations. I hope things keep going well for you.:thumbsup:

Daintre
10-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Sandra, I am so impressed, congratulations are in order I think. You certainly have a great attitude, I hope things continue to go well.

Di
10-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Sounds like things are really going well:thumbsup:

Mitch23
10-27-2007, 06:31 AM
that is so encouraging to hear marie - bless you for your courage and integrity. My friend amber is in exactly the same position and tells me how wonderfully liberating it is. You rock girl!

Mitch

Carol A
10-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Marie,

I am so happy for you and wish you nothing but the best. I wish I was in your place I just waited to long. :hugs:

Donna Marie
10-27-2007, 11:05 AM
What a wonderful story. I don't know if I would be up to making that kind of change, but I can definitely see how it might be helpful with my own ongoing low-level depression. And you must be one of the fortunate ones that do not have issues about your voice. Best of luck to you in your new life and new job. It sounds great.

marie354
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
First of all, I want to thank you all for your kind comments. I surely wouldn't have gotten this far without everyone's help in the time that I did. Thank-You, Thank-You, Thank-You... One and all.

Marie,
I am so happy for you and wish you nothing but the best. I wish I was in your place I just waited to long. :hugs:

I was thinging the same thing about waiting too long. I started by telling my family and friends. When that went well, then I changed my wardrobe completely. A few more announcements to a few others that I see almost on a daily basis, and I was on my way. Soooo... There is always time to do the things that you want do.

What a wonderful story. I don't know if I would be up to making that kind of change, but I can definitely see how it might be helpful with my own ongoing low-level depression. And you must be one of the fortunate ones that do not have issues about your voice. Best of luck to you in your new life and new job. It sounds great.

Since you mentioned my voice... I can turn it on and off at will. I just use Karren Hutton's trick... Raise the pitch a bit and talk a little softer. I also change the pitch rather than making my voice louder for emphasis. It works for me.

It still amazes me the number of people that either can't tell and/or don't notice, or don't really care. A few people still call me sir, but for the most part I'm treated like a lady and called Ma'am! Life is great isn't it?

Thank-You all again. Now that I've got an internet connection again, I'll be peeking in more oftin. Woo-Hoo! I'm back!

Sheri 4242
10-29-2007, 11:01 AM
You are, indeed,making wonderful strides and congratulations are in order!!! "You go girl" certainly seems apropos!!!

Rita B
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Isn't it amazing how the more we get out the more we want to and the better we get at it until it gets to feel like a very normal thing to do. I had some nice experiences over the weekend. I have a thread in mtf and one "Out and about"

Eileen
10-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Congratulations Marie! I am so happy to hear you are enjoying yourself! For the last eight months I have been f/t and as you say it just seems to keep getting better. Yes it would have been nice to have come out sooner, but we are out now and can enjoy being the person we truly are! Life really can be wounderful!

Eileen

paulaN
10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
FANTASTIC!!!!! way to go. Woo Hoo!! And a teaching job too. wow. you really rock. Just goes to show ya, it's never too late.

rachellenicole
10-29-2007, 10:12 PM
What a great story and what courage!!

I wish you the best of luck with your new life.

Rach