PDA

View Full Version : Using a male credit card en-femme

Suzy Harrison
10-27-2007, 01:22 AM
I've seen several posts where other girls have mentioned that they've bought something using their credit card whilst en-femme. - But isn't it the case that the Sales Assistants don't seem to check the name on the card, but only make sure that the signature is the same and that the expiry date hasn't passed?

cdlaura2007
10-27-2007, 01:40 AM
My wife and I only have one credit card and it's in her name. My experience while using it in male mode is that they not only don't check the signature(hers isn't even signed) but they don't even bother to check that a man is using a card with a woman's name on it.

If you want a good laugh, take a look at this site about credit card signatures:
http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

charllote34
10-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Sometimes and unfortunatly i think they are so busy they dont do the correct checks ! and i speak from experiance :D

Michelle (Oz)
10-27-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi Suzy

I've used my credit cards en femme very regularly without any difficulty. I suspect it is one advantage of not passing as the SA is not surprised with a male name.

I's like to get a credit card with my femme name but don't know how.

Michelle (Oz)

Inredsatin
10-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Suzy,
I took care of that problem all I did was call my credit card company and had a card sent to me with my femme name on it. All they said to me is that with an authorized user I would be responsible for any charges that were made. About 5 days later i had a card
Hope this may help
Brenda

TxKimberly
10-27-2007, 07:10 AM
I do this a LOT and have never had a problem. No, I wouldn't claim that they have no interest in the name on the card. In fact using your card may test your confidence as they will often ask for your ID as well. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense as you probably aren't going to look at all like the ID pic, but they are supposed to ask and often do.

Jenna1561
10-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree with Kimberly. I use my credit cards often while enfemme and many times I am indeed asked to show my I.D. Most SA's look at the I.D. and move on. I don't know if they actually read anything or not, but were I in their shoes, I would probably at least be comparing last names and probably the full name. I have had a few tell me that they needed my I.D. not my husbands, now that's always a nice moment.

Lately though, many merchants use the little card swiper that the customer uses, and when that's the case, they rarely ask to see any I.D. If I'm using a debit card where I have to enter a PIN, they have never asked for I.D.

Jenna

paulaN
10-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I would like to hear more from everyone on this. I have never used mine wile in fem. It sure would be nice if I could use it, without much hassle that is.

Laura Jane
10-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah for Chip and pin!

carol anne
10-27-2007, 12:46 PM
:happy:One time while shopping in Macy's at the MOA I picked out a scent to try. I gave the clerk my card and after checking it she Said, I didn't realize you were a man until I read your name on the card. After that occasion i made certain I always looked for her when I needed assistance. Some really do look at the name on the card
carol

Patti Girl
10-27-2007, 01:14 PM
In the past, I've used my wife's card (in drab) without any notice from the clerks and she has used mine. I've heard of some people who put "see other identification" in the signature block of the cards and the clerks never ask. I don't think they really pay any attention.

Reminds me of a story where the plant manager at a defense plant had a phoney ID made up with a picture of a bull moose on it. Security passed him through....and he really raised h... for their laxity.

Patti

Nicki B
10-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I think this is really more about our level of comfort, than anything..

Are you expecting people to all gather around and stare and laugh at 'the tranny'?? :strugglin

They just want your money - (hopefully) if you don't smell bad, or scare the other customers away, then THEY DON'T CARE.

If you're that worried about passing then, I fear, other things are much more likely to make people twig you? And if they do notice, like Carol Anne above, IME they're more likely to be impressed than anything else?

Brianna Lovely
10-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm always enfemme, to some degree or other. Unfortunately, my CC is in my male name. I often get a surprised look from the cashier, when they see a male name on the card. They usually hesitate, then say, "Have a nice day, sir."
I would like to feel that I was "passing" up till that point.

Diannna
10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Well girls, I've learned a long time ago on another board that if you use initials you need not worry about much. What I'm trying to say is I go enfeme as Diana Eileen. My real male name are the same initials. So all my credit cards and bank checks have D.E. and my last name on them. Makes it a whole lot easier. Makes for having femmy checks too.

Dita_B
10-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I use my (male) credit card all the time while out en-femme. I was asked only once for additional ID and at that time the SA only looked briefly at my drivers license and gave it back without missing a beat or saying a word...

All the other times my male credit card was accepted without a hitch.

You could easily avoid the confusion by applying for a complimentary card with your femme name on it. Your bank will send it without any questions and without any costs.

BUT, it will make for confusion when your use your femme card and have to show additional picture ID...

I, for one, stay with the status quo.

I also use my c/c at the gas station, but I cheat in so far that I chose those gas stations that have the "quick pay" option. You stick your card into the slot in the pump and no further ID nor signature is required...

At least that is the situation here in Canada. During my last trip to the US someone told me that pumping gas yourself is not allowed in the US. So you're out of luck there if that is true...

:love:Dita.

Paula T
10-28-2007, 01:57 AM
is allowed at almost everywhere in the US as far as I know. I have never heard of it not being allowed. I live in Mn and everybody does it.:2c:

I use my (male) credit card all the time while out en-femme. I was asked only once for additional ID and at that time the SA only looked briefly at my drivers license and gave it back without missing a beat or saying a word...

All the other times my male credit card was accepted without a hitch.

You could easily avoid the confusion by applying for a complimentary card with your femme name on it. Your bank will send it witho

and without any costs.

BUT, it will make for confusion when your use your femme card and have to show additional picture ID...

I, for one, stay with the status quo.

I also use my c/c at the gas station, but I cheat in so far that I chose those gas stations that have the "quick pay" option. You stick your card into the slot in the pump and no further ID nor signature is required...

At least that is the situation here in Canada. During my last trip to the US someone told me that pumping gas yourself is not allowed in the US. So you're out of luck there if that is true...

Sheri 4242
10-28-2007, 04:59 AM
During my last trip to the US someone told me that pumping gas yourself is not allowed in the US. So you're out of luck there if that is true... :love:Dita.

Nope, not true in the U.S., Dita!!! In fact, it is "difficult-to-impossible" to find places where they will pump the gas for you in the States.

Denise Anne
10-28-2007, 09:17 AM
In Oregon it is against the law to pump your own gas. Every gas station has attendants to pump it for you. Makes it nice during the winter when it is blowing and cold outside and it gives people jobs too. I believe there is one state out East somewhere that is like this also.

Dita_B
10-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Well thank you Denise Anne... It was actually in Oregon that I was told pumping gas yourself was against the law... Hence my confusion that it was prohibited all over the US...

Sorry about that...

However, the gas station attendants in Oregon never missed a beat accepting a male credit card from the female (me) in the driver's seat!

Cynthia_0101
10-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I had read this a while ago but it should shed some light on just how much people pay attention to the credit card you are using.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

Cynthia

kassandra richard
10-28-2007, 03:59 PM
No problem for me at home or away, well, if you discount the girl at Wendy's today :) She handed my credit card back with "your card, um, ma'am".

Kassandra

Eugenie
10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
I've been out to restaurants "en femme" and paid with my credit card with my male's first name. I had no problem with it.

I think that at a rather close distance the waiter or the waitress can see that you are a male...

Actually, as a precaution, I carry an ID card that is my membership card of the ABC (Association Beaumont Continental : a french CD organisation similar to TRI-ESS). On that card there are two sides: one with a picture of me "en femme" on the other side a picture of me "in drab".

But so far I never had to use that card.

:hugs:
Eugenie

joann07
10-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi Suzy,

You got me thinking.
I think we should think of the opposite when paying using our credit cards. In that, I mean, appearing to the SA that we are the girl spending her man's, SO's, boyfriend's, or husband's money. hee hee! :heehee:
If we just treat it that way, then from the SA or cashier's point-of-view they would just assume that is so and so that's why they wouldn't be surprised.
If you can think of it in that perspective, then things should be fine.

It's just a thought.

Hugs!

Joy Carter
10-28-2007, 06:07 PM
No problem as of yet.:D

Stacie Stockman
10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I checked into a hotel with a credit card and male id while in full Stacie mode. The girl at the front desk didnt even bat her lashes and checked me in without any problems.

Billijo49504
10-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Friday night at VS, the cashier asked if he knew I had his card, till I showed my ID....BJ

JoAnnDallas
10-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Many places you have to swip the card yourself. So in those cased it does not matter whos name is on it. The SA doesn't even see it that close.
BTW, as for those devices where you also have to sign you name on the digital pad, in 99% of the cases, that sigature is not used for anything. Only at one store did I see the sigature replicated onto the reciect. A reasercher did a study where he put all types of sigatures on the pad and nothing happen. He went as far as drawing pictures instead of a name and still nothing happen. His conculsion was that each persons sigature changes each time we write it and it would be almost impossible to compare it using digial means to see if it is really yours or not.

Cara Allen
10-29-2007, 11:52 AM
During my last trip to the US someone told me that pumping gas yourself is not allowed in the US. So you're out of luck there if that is true...

Hi, Sis! I don't know where your friend lives, but every place I have travelled in the US has ONLY self serve gas stations. Might be nice if that were true.

paulaN
10-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all of your input girls. I guess I will have to use my card without fear from now on. My problem was not beeing read or something simple like that. It has been that my card would not be accepted from the clerk. Then the store manager comes and a big crowd gathers in the checkout line and so on. That would be too much for me. The only way for me to find out if I can use it is to use it, right!!! So I think I will next time out.

Genifer Teal
11-04-2007, 06:09 PM
FWIW New Jersey has the same no self serve for gas law as Oregon.

As for credit cards, just ask for one in a different name. They can add it to your existing account as a second card holder. No SS# needed since you are responsible. My male CC says "See ID" in the signature panel. I only get asked 1 in 10 times for ID maybe less. Genifer has used my male card. I can't think of a place where it mattered.

Gen

Dita_B
11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi, Sis! I don't know where your friend lives, but every place I have travelled in the US has ONLY self serve gas stations. Might be nice if that were true.

Not been in Oregon yet eh? And now new Jersey as well... Sorry Sis...

Niya W
11-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Two things. Most people mispronounce my male name as a female name. Secondly I have ID that matches me at all time :)

Kristen Kelly
11-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Suzy,
I took care of that problem all I did was call my credit card company and had a card sent to me with my femme name on it. All they said to me is that with an authorized user I would be responsible for any charges that were made. About 5 days later i had a card
Hope this may help
Brenda

I did the same thing and only once did they ask for another form of Id. Before I had recieved a card for Kristen I had used my male card at times, once at Macy's the SA looked at the card and said "Sorry is this your husband's credit card", for which I replied in my male voice," No it's mine but thanks for the compliment."

kassandra richard
11-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Many places you have to swip the card yourself. So in those cased it does not matter whos name is on it. The SA doesn't even see it that close.
BTW, as for those devices where you also have to sign you name on the digital pad, in 99% of the cases, that sigature is not used for anything. Only at one store did I see the sigature replicated onto the reciect. A reasercher did a study where he put all types of sigatures on the pad and nothing happen. He went as far as drawing pictures instead of a name and still nothing happen. His conculsion was that each persons sigature changes each time we write it and it would be almost impossible to compare it using digial means to see if it is really yours or not.

Yep, that would be known as the dreaded "security theatre" (thank you Bruce Schneier). Unless they actually visually inspect the signature the digital pad adds nothing to your security. My favorite though has to be the card machines (so far only found at the gas pumps) that asks for your zip code. As a Canuck that's impossible. Pissed me off enough that I just left the gas station.

As for the subject of this thread, I've used my card probably five or six times this week en femme and nary a problem.

Kassandra

Stephenie S
11-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree that this is really an issue of our own feeling of security.

But this is what I did. Now my CC is in my name, but while I was switching over from male to female, I just had my last name and initials on all my cards. It was a simple solution, easy to do with just phone call or letter, and everyone accepted it with NO problems, even the bank. This was a simple, legal, and quick solution to this problem.

Lovies,
Steph

jenniferj
11-04-2007, 11:01 PM
For years, my wife and guy-me have used each other's cards with never a question asked.

I started "living" bi-coastal a couple of years ago and have since signed my name on all of my cards as "Please See License" - just in case I leave one behind somewhere. It may be weeks before I notice it missing and thousands of miles from where I left it. Most cashiers do ask to see my ID when I present the card.

Once my wife grabbed my guy-wallet (and cards) and ran into a store (she had left her purse at home). Without thinking, she signed the slip (in her name) and handed the card to the cashier who held it up, compared its (not) signature with hers and said "Thank you Ma'am - have a nice day..."

The few times I've gone out I've used cash, but I'm sure that I could easily use her girl card and sign it with first initial, last name. (we have the same initials) I doubt that many would ask for an ID.

-jj

marny
11-04-2007, 11:50 PM
I use my wifes debit card occassionally while in male mode. She uses my cards all the time and signs her name. No one looks unless you have a new card with a photo on it. Soon we'll be like most of europe and have to enter a pin. The danger of course is if you use one pin for all cards and someone sees it and steals your purse.... and frankly, how many pin's could you remember! :2c: The other thing I don't get are these new registers where you 'tap' your card on a reader and you go. Where is the security in that if someone gets ahold of your card?

kay_jessica
11-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's a big problem here in the UK any more (not that it cause me any grief before), now that it is predominantly chip and pin transactions. Sales assistants don't even look at the card any more, they or you just stick in the machine and you tap in your pin. End of story. Having said that I don't really care anymore and from my experience neither do the sales assistants.

Hugs

Kay

kay_jessica
11-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I use my wifes debit card occassionally while in male mode. She uses my cards all the time and signs her name. No one looks unless you have a new card with a photo on it. Soon we'll be like most of europe and have to enter a pin. The danger of course is if you use one pin for all cards and someone sees it and steals your purse.... and frankly, how many pin's could you remember! :2c: The other thing I don't get are these new registers where you 'tap' your card on a reader and you go. Where is the security in that if someone gets ahold of your card?

I believe point of sale credit card/debit card fraud seems to have dropped significantly with the introduction of chip and pin. So long as you don't keep a written copy of you pin in you purse/wallet then any thief is not going to get far. Besides, if you do loose your card and it is used fraudulently, so long as you report it soon as, then any transactions arising from it will be covered by the credit card company.

Hugs

Kay

Dita_B
11-05-2007, 01:48 PM
once at Macy's the SA looked at the card and said "Sorry is this your husband's credit card", for which I replied in my male voice," No it's mine but thanks for the compliment."

I just had to say that I think your response was absolutely priceless!!