PDA

View Full Version : Aka

Jenna1561
10-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I've been wondering about "AKA", or "ALSO KNOWN AS". When completing applications, whether for membership, employment, or credit, many ask for other names that you have gone by. I am in no way an attorney or law enforcement official, so I really do not know what the law intends when this is asked. Most of my life I have placed my male nickname here, as that is what most people know me by, and many would be surprised to learn it's not actually my legal/given name.

My point or question is, if we use an enfemme name on a credit card or to join organizations or even simply subscribe to a magazine, are we then creating an "AKA" for ourselves? And if we are, are we falsifying a document when we fail to list it when requested on an application. We know that falsifying a document is almost always grounds for denying the application or may be used later for terminating a contract based on such an application.

If I were to complete an employment application and omit my enfemme name, under which I have contracted with others, be hired by that company, and this omission later became known to them, might it on its own, be grounds for dismissal? It wouldn't be the fact that I am transgendered or crossdress, but simply the fact that I knowingly falsified documentation?

I'd love to hear from anyone with knowledge on the matter as well as everyone's thoughts.

Jenna

Patti Girl
10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
IANAL, but I would assume that's only for where you have legally used the name. Especially a woman who changed her name for marriage, etc. or someone who had a legal name change.

As for magazine subscriptions, etc. heck, you can subscribe in your dog's name!

Patti

Sinthia
10-27-2007, 07:40 PM
I think if you are known by many people, in person and not on the web like this forum, you should put down the other name that you are known by, but only your 'sisters' know you as Jenna, so do not put that one down. How would any one else know?

Sheri 4242
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
. . . if we use an enfemme name on a credit card or to join organizations or even simply subscribe to a magazine, are we then creating an "AKA" for ourselves? And if we are, are we falsifying a document when we fail to list it when requested on an application.

It all depends on one word: intent. If you use your femme name as most of us on this forum do, then you are fine!!! There is NO legal reason to include it on an employment ap, resume, credit ap, etc. "If," though, your intent is to defraud, then that's another story!!! In the U.S., merely placing such in the mail could garner you a federal charge!!! That said, as long as there is no intent to defraud -- and more succinctly, as long as there is no attempt to defraud -- then your femme name is not at issue and you are not commiting a crime by leaving it off an application, etc.

Jenna1561
10-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Thank you for the replies. I was and am hoping that is how it is viewed. I have no intent to defraud anyone and am glad to know that some of you have the same opinion.

Jenna

CharleneCD
10-28-2007, 02:19 AM
One thing I will add to this, is that if you get a credit card in your fem name, your AKA will show up on your credit file, as your credit card should be tied to your SSN. So anyone pulling your credit will see it.

Rachael
10-28-2007, 05:21 AM
I don't know about the States. but here in the UK you can use whatever name you wish as long as the intention is not to commit a fraud. As far as I can see that includes femme names. With regards to that, I once knew a guy unfortunately named Peter Ennis who was univerally known as dick.:devil:

Patti Girl
10-28-2007, 06:50 AM
One thing I will add to this, is that if you get a credit card in your fem name, your AKA will show up on your credit file, as your credit card should be tied to your SSN. So anyone pulling your credit will see it.

Is that true if you get a second card on an existing account in the femme name? As in a second card for a spouse or child?

As I've said, clerks don't seem to pay any attention to what name is on the card but I think the easiest solution is to get a card issued with just one's initials.

Patti

CharleneCD
10-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Is that true if you get a second card on an existing account in the femme name? As in a second card for a spouse or child?

As I've said, clerks don't seem to pay any attention to what name is on the card but I think the easiest solution is to get a card issued with just one's initials.

Patti

No I think in that case just the payment history not the name would be tied to you.

Shelly Preston
10-28-2007, 11:15 AM
The main reason for asking the "Also Known As" question is some people get known by there nickname

If someone asks what there real name is most may have no idea

For example : someone may say you need to see "butcher" who is so named due to have been a Butcher earlier in there life

It normally to help everyone in the case of any problems