PDA

View Full Version : Can you sleep with makeup on?

KateSpade83
10-30-2007, 10:23 PM
After I go out and come home I take all of my makeup off - just beard foundation and lipstick. But if I ever get a makeover and pay for it I'd like it to last several days (like a vacation weekend). So can you sleep with all the makeup on or will it smudge on you and your pillow?

Beth-GDB
10-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Expect it to smudge. Depending on how extensive the makeover is, your skin may not appreciate being covered in cosmetics non-stop for several days either.

sterling12
10-30-2007, 11:20 PM
I've always been told that you have to give your skin a chance to "breath" at night. That doesn't sound very scientific but it kind of makes sense. If your pores are clogged all the time, and that's what 24/7 foundation would do, You need to try and unclog them before too much time has passed. If you don't the result....lots of pimples and boils (cysts). If you have ever had a boil, bet you won't want to be doing that again!

Veering away from the subject just a bit, I also have to agree with Minerva. Read a post somewhere that included the observation by a Sista, "The Gal doing it went so fast, I really couldn't follow what she was doing." Well, it might be a thrill to see your new "Hollywood Face." but it's money down the rathole if you can't duplicate the makeup. All that will happen is that you will be depressed, 'cause you can't make your face look that way again.

I would tell the Gal doing it, you expect some instruction so that you can recreate that look. If she hasn't got the time....go somewhere else. Lot's of people want your money!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Stephenie S
10-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Of course you can sleep in makeup, dear. Some people on this site have even tried sleeping in high heels. Your makeup will probably be a mess in the morning, however. The trick is to learn to do it yourself. That's the only way, hon. The only way.

GGs learn this slowly over several years. We have to learn more quickly. The way to learn is to practice. Practice, practice, and more practice. You will make many discouraging messes before you have it, but the stuff DOES come off, so you just start all over again.

My advice is to try to learn just one thing at a time. Learn to do lips (easy). Then maybe your eyes (much trickier). Trying to learn it all at once can be very daunting, even with expert advice. Just go slow and understand that you CAN do it. It just takes time. (As does any other skill, right?)

Lovies,
Stephenie

And, has been said already by others, sleeping in makeup is not good for your skin. You should be cleansing your skin EVERY night and EVERY morning. Aply a night cream to your face after a thorough cleaning before you retire, and when you get up clean your face again and aply a moisturiser with an SPF of at least 15 before you leave the house. This is an essential and minimum facial regime that should be practiced by everyone every day. (Well, everyone who does not want to look like a lumberjack.)

Stephie

sissystephanie
10-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Short answer, NO! Not only will it smudge, on both you and your pillow, but as other ladies have already told you, it is not good for your skin. Why do you think the cosmetic companies spend advertising money on cleansers? The idea is to put it on, wear it during the appropiate time and then take it off.

If you wanted to get a makeover and keep it the same way for a weekend, you would have to learn how to sleep sitting upright, with your head locked into a straight ahead position. Doesn't sound very comfortable to me!:heehee:

I am not good with makeup myself, but the others who have advised you are right. Practice, practice, and learn to do it yourself. If you spend the money to get a makeover you will get some instruction. Listen and learn. Then go home and practice!

Sissy/Stephanie

More Girl than man sometimes

Wenda
10-31-2007, 12:02 AM
No problem sleeping in your make-up dear. The problem is when you wake up and go to the bathroom and look in the mirror! WHO IS THE SCARY BROAD?? Oh, damn, it's me. w.

Khriss
10-31-2007, 12:14 AM
... though washing pillow cases might get old ?
truth is ..women made Ponds cold cream and Noxema ..multi-million dollar companies because women figured out long ago that wearing makeup over half the time in a day...was generally a bad choice eh ?? "K"

GailTulane
10-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Health issues aside, I just want to point out that many times when I wanted to sleep in makeup, I have done so without mussing it.
I put the pillow under my neck only, and sleep carefully! :happy:

Deborah Jane
10-31-2007, 05:33 PM
MMM!! I know i shouldn,t, but i do sometimes...and it doesn,t always go smudgy by the morning :p:heehee:

Tamera
10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
I always wash my face before I go to bed. Because of the pillow getting smudged, my face getting smudged and it likes to inherit pimples.
Hugs,
Tamera

annekathleen
10-31-2007, 05:53 PM
You'll be washing the pillow cases!!!
In my younger days, when I used to bring home strange women, ( now I just dress like them:heehee: )
I'd find all their make up on the pillow cases, and they did look quite different in the morning.
Unless you don't mind washing your sheets and pillow cases on a frequent basis, I would suggest removing the make up before you crawl into the sack!

Lora Olivia
10-31-2007, 05:54 PM
going to have to shave anyway right so just do the normal routine and deal with it :(

renee99
10-31-2007, 06:42 PM
The "mineral powder" kind of makeup is supposed to be sleep-safe, I've never had a problem with it, but YMMV.

SandyR
10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
The face comes off and onto the pillow, not all of it, but enough to make it look "not so good", sigh.....

SandyR

Stephenie S
10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Remember the T-shirts with the smudged makeup on the front and the saying, "I just ran into Tammy Fay"?

LindaTS
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
There seems to be something that you're not thinking of. Shaving, or have you had your beard removed? That's going to look very weird in a couple of days.

Nicki B
11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Not and wake up with it still there... :strugglin

Kate Simmons
11-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Not advisable really but sometimes I'm so worn out from dancing I just crash onto the bed when I get home early Sunday morning. Just have to make sure I put in stronger detergent when I wash the pillowcases.:happy:

Albtraum
11-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Ouch! Reminds me of raccoon eyes and stained pillow cases:sad:
I've heard it's bad for your skin, too.

If you are sleeping....erm alone, you might try it for the paid make up jobs and just see for yourself:p

Believe me, it's not like a movie where the lady goes to bed fully made up and wakes up that way:sad: I've been frightened a few times myself.

One time I woke up and killed a spider on my pillow and found out I had destroyed a woman's false eyelashes.:o She wasn't happy, I don't know if she was mad or embarrassed:p

bgirl
11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
My beard pushes the makeover off my face as if it was a mask! OK, it really just grows right thru it.

Now having gone to sleep with my makeup on, and waking up with my beard showing thru, its not any thing someone should have to see! It hurts just thinking about it.

Angie G
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I take it off befor e bed :hugs:
Angie

KateSpade83
11-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Ok, thanks for the responses. I guess I wouldn't pay for a makeover if I have to take it all off before I slept. And I guess my beard shadow would show after a day anyway.

Sheri 4242
11-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Expect it to smudge if you do sleep in it; sleeping in makeup is not be good for your complexion b/c you have to give your skin a chance to breath at night. So, of course you can sleep in makeup, but the real trick is to learn to do it yourself. Besides, any kind of beard at all will require a fresh shave and new concealer.

(NOTE: excerpted from the first 5-6 replies -- but it is what I would have said anyway!!!)

Julie Gaum
11-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Eyeliner, to do it right, takes time and you can leave it on over night without smudging. Just a thought.
Julie