PDA

View Full Version : Boys Don't Cry: what did everyone think?

Leo Lane
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
I've just finished watching the film again and am interested to hear other people's opinions.

CaptLex
10-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I've just finished watching the film again and am interested to hear other people's opinions.
I think boys definitely do cry . . . that's why I can't watch that movie again. You're strong, dude. :sad:

Tamara Croft
10-31-2007, 03:13 PM
I have the movie, just not watched it yet, I heard it's a real tear jerker and to have lots of tissues ready.

nikki_t
10-31-2007, 03:32 PM
It's a fantastic movie and very accurate the to real life story of her life. The only inaccuracy as a far as I know is they missed somebody out at the end. I won't go into detail because I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Kieron Andrew
10-31-2007, 03:41 PM
I have the movie, just not watched it yet, I heard it's a real tear jerker and to have lots of tissues ready.

dont forget the pillow to hide behind lol

Seriously! i loved the film, it is full of emotion and truth, not one i can watch at any old time i have to be in the right frame of mind

i highly recommend that EVERYONE whether trans or not should watch it at least once

Anthony Jake
10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I watched that movie the other night for about the 20th time.. i like depressing stuff.. The film though, isnt actually a true representation of the story. I have watched quite a few documentaries on it, and also read up a lot on it. It just really intrested me from before i came out as trans (strange huh.lol) Anyway, as far as i know there was also another person who was shot and killed that night in the house. The two guys who did the shooting, one of them when arrested grassed up the other guy, and said it was him who did the shooting, he also showed some remorse.. the guy who shot brandon, he is still on death row now, and has showed no remorse, in various interviews done with him he still says he would shoot brandon over again if the situation reoccured.. yet deathrow are still allowing him countless appeals.. and have not yet set a date for his execution. That really really p*sses me off.

this link tells of the real crime scene and the other person who was murdered on site.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/classics4/brandon/

As to the actual film, I think its done ok, i mean i think that there is a much bigger picture which they could have explored, but i guess in order to keep the story to a 2 hour feature film there is only so much that they could do. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Chloe Sevingy (lana) in NY when i lived there.. admittedly i was rather drunk at the time, so didnt take as much advantage as i could have.

Brandons mother as far as i know was not happy with the film, as it wasnt a true depiction of Brandon's struggle. A lot of details were missed out or shown incorrectly. The real Lana sued the film company for the way that she was depicted.. as shown in below link.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/boysdontcry.php

wanttobejoe
10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Good movie. Hilary Swank deserved that Oscar.

nikki_t
10-31-2007, 04:08 PM
this link tells of the real crime scene and the other person who was murdered on site.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/classics4/brandon/

Hmmm, the documentary I saw was on the Biography Channel and matched the movie almost exactly. I guess it was wrong. :o But the missing guy at the end is the inaccuracy I was referring to earlier. I suppose on TV/film they have to embellish some stuff to keep people's interest or make them gasp or cry or whatever.

All in all, I still think it's a truly amazing and touching story and that everyone should see it.

Anthony Jake
10-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, the documentary I saw was on the Biography Channel and matched the movie almost exactly. I guess it was wrong. :o But the missing guy at the end is the inaccuracy I was referring to earlier. I suppose on TV/film they have to embellish some stuff to keep people's interest or make them gasp or cry or whatever.

All in all, I still think it's a truly amazing and touching story and that everyone should see it.

Im not denying that its a good movie, when i first saw it i must have been about 16 maybe, when it was released on DVD in the UK anyhow, and it touched a real part of me.. as i said, at the time i was still happily identifying as a lesbian.. but the film has always made me think.. and it kind of started off my thoughs about being trans, which is probably why as depressing as it is i feel the need to keep watching it.. because its kind of a portal for me..

anyway,
i know that there are various documentaries etc on Brandon Teena as well, and im sure all are done by different people and information is gathered from different sources, just as any website on the topic will be.. there is only so much truth which can be told before a story becomes somewhat warped.

Im being critical on the film because i really like real life stuff, be it movies, documentaries or books.. and once i have seen or read them i try to explore the subject which has been covered more..

But, i definately think everyone should watch the movie, it may at least help to open some peoples eyes to things which they wouldnt look at before.

Anthony Jake
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20/inmate.recants.ap/index.html

infact recently john lotter has again appealed his case. :mad:

MJ
10-31-2007, 05:30 PM
i watch the documentary on this case . and after i found out about Brandon's friends met the same fate as him ... i would like to see it but i would cry through the movie

if you don't know the case then i won't add the fate of the others

Cai
10-31-2007, 05:48 PM
I couldn't finish it.

MJ
10-31-2007, 06:54 PM
and what hurts the most is ...but by the grace of god there go i .. it was because of Brandon's story i am nervous around guys ...except for you lot that is hugs

Cai
10-31-2007, 06:56 PM
and what hurts the most is ...but by the grace of god there go i .. it was because of Brandon's story i am nervous around guys

Uh-huh. People, especially men, with strong Southern accents make me nervous if I'm out and not sure if I'm passing.

ZenFrost
10-31-2007, 10:59 PM
I haven't seen it. But I know what happens and how it ends and I'm just not sure if I want to put myself though watching something so depressing.

nikki_t
11-01-2007, 04:23 PM
so as soon as this guy found out he had been (in his opinion) tricked and made a fool, he snapped

I think that's the key right there! It was the trickery that humiliated him. It would be the same if some tough biker dude came on to a MTF in a bar without realizing it and ended up being humiliated by his buddies.

Either way you chop and dice it, the movie is a "must watch" movie in my opinion.

Devon James
11-02-2007, 07:33 AM
It's a great movie, very well acted by Swank. I don't cry often with movies but this one really hurted. The story isn't excactly the way it went, but I'm sure everybody gets the point.

RevMoonSerpent
11-04-2007, 03:13 AM
It's a very well done movie. Even though like most have said it isn't 100% accurate when telling the life story of Brandon but, I don't know that many films that are.
It is however, a great film for all to watch in terms of educating the public. It wasn't until I watched this film for the first time years ago that I was able to put a name to being trans myself. It's also great in letting others know what it's like to live as an ftm.
Not meaning to sound rude but, I wish more of the mtf's that come over here and complain about us having it easy would take the time to watch the film. It would sure make explaining a great deal better for us.

Felix
11-04-2007, 02:17 PM
It's one of my most fav films I cry every time xx Felix :hugs:

happyfish
11-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I haven't had the courage to watch it yet, though my boyfriend keeps bugging me to. :/

CamillaCD
11-11-2007, 06:06 AM
I admit I have cried when watching some movies (not ashamed by it). I haven't seen "Boys don't cry", but after reading the posts here I ordered it just now.

Colleentg
11-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I haven't seen it yet, and after all the posts on this thread, I'm afraid to! I cry too easily. I sobbed heavily when Barbara Walters interviewed that little boy living as a girl!

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
11-12-2007, 05:09 AM
I cried like a baby. :sad:

Kieron Andrew
11-12-2007, 05:31 AM
I cried like a baby. :sad:

ohhh we gotta new boy YAY!!! :jumping::yahoo:(go do an intro dude, so everyone can say hi, but hey good to have you here)

*composes self* we now return to our regular scheduling

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
11-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Done :D

And thanks for the welcome, duder =)

Anthony Jake
11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
brandon teena (http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=mebeingrandom&p=r)

basically the vids this dude has, documentary thing on the whole Brandon thing, from the real people involved points of view.. worth a look if you have time guys.
makes me so angry :Angry3:

That and the fact that they raped him on Christmas day, film doesnt say that now does it.

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
11-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Jasper and I watched it.
That documentary made me so angry that I wanted to strangle the sheriff who dealt with it.. what a ****ing idiot.
UGHH!:Angry3:

mistunderstood
11-14-2007, 05:13 PM
I lack the guts to see it. I have seen the docmentary on it and had to stop and throw-up. So I will not probaly not watch it.

Anthony Jake
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Jasper and I watched it.
That documentary made me so angry that I wanted to strangle the sheriff who dealt with it.. what a ****ing idiot.
UGHH!:Angry3:

I know, totally wrong.. some of the questions he asks him, i mean, why.. totally NO need for it. Just think if it wasn't for him then maybe Brandon wouldn't have died.. i dont like to speculate but...

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
no I know what you mean.. and yeah, I agree.

boi_0h
11-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Boys don't Cry was my first learning experience as far as trans-ness goes. I learned a lot from it but let's face it...it's disturbing to watch.

xsideburnsx
11-15-2007, 10:09 AM
It was also hard for me to watch as well. Knowing there are plently of prejudiced people out there who will hurt you just for being different.

I was a brawler before boys don't cry, and I continue to be. I don't want to ever be in a situation where I couldnt defend myself from any sort of physical assault. I also try not to be in the presence of ex-cons.

CamillaCD
11-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I watched the film yesterday. I have to admit it was a bit disturbing to watch some parts of it. It is also the first film for me that addresses the FtM part of the TG scene, so I am glad to get a glimpse of your world and what you guys are like.

Tamara Croft
12-06-2007, 01:10 PM
I finally watched it and I thought it was quite sad. I had no idea the film was based on real life :( when I saw that in the credits at the end, I was gobsmacked. I've done some research and the film doesn't portray the full story. I read about it on wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Teena). What really made me mad was Lana Tisdel sueing the movie company for using her name...

Jennifer Giovannetta
12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I watched a while back but can remember it well because it is an issue that hits home for me. The part that really stuck in my mind was when they found his personal items that included his transgendered literature.
The title of the movie is a clever one as far as I am concerned. As a boy by birth myself, I cried yesterday, and it perfectly normal to do so. So to suggest "Boys dont cry", it makes a statement about the prejuduces that we all have to endure. The stigma attached to a man who shows emotion, to the transgendered person who is just trying to be themselves during this short life that we have. Although, to be "Found Out" would be a much more severe situation than being caught crying. Great topic!

Taylor105
12-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I own this movie and have seen it so many times I can recite most of it by heart. I'm gonna get a public flogging here by you guys. Brandon Teena is and always will be one of my heroes. The way he died was horrible. I mean disgustingly sick. Sometimes I wonder though that if he really loved Lana why did he not tell her that he wasn't genetically still in a female body? From all that I have read up in Brandon he never told any of the girls he had been with. I don't tell people I am trans because I totally want to be seen as a guy but but if it was moving to the bedroom I would feel it is somethnig that my woman would need to know because I respect her and I hope that she is in love with my heart and it wouldn't matter. But I think it is something important to tell them. Before I came out as trans and found you guys here I didn't know how that was possible. Sex I mean. lol I didn't know about the ways of having sexual relations down below when you don't have the genetic equipment so to speak. I guess the way he made love to these girls and didn't tell them bothered me. I guess it's a decision that everyone needs to make for themselves. When I start getting to know a girl and I realize it might go somewhere I tell her. Because I think that I should. And most of the time the girl ends up being my girl anyway because even though she is a straight girl she fell in love with my heart and not my genitals. I have had two girlfriends. And both of them had only been with genetic men. And when they fell in love with me and I had told them they started questioning themselves. Like one of them said does this make me a lesbian? I was like no. I'm a straight guy whether I have the equipment down below or not. You fell in love with my personality and my heart. My brain is just as male as any genetic guys brain and that is what you fell in love with. So no, you aren't a lesbian. The two relationships I have been in didn't end up working out and I am a single guy now but it wasn't over my genitals that we broke up. lol But I guess the whole point of this post is that I wonder about Brandon sometimes. He enters my thoughts quite often actually. Like if he had told Lana before it got to the sexual stage....maybe she would have broken up with him. Maybe she wouldn't have but maybe she would have. That's someething we will never know. Maybe he would still be alive right now if he had just told her first. My mind is going a million miles an hour right now and I know some of you won't agree with me on this. But I hope some of you do. I don't want to be alone here in my thoughts about this. lol

hedwig the fabulous
12-19-2007, 12:40 AM
i cried so hard when i saw that movie! but i still <3 it!!