PDA

View Full Version : Laser Hair Removal (on the face)

Nyx
04-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Well, this is quite annoying. I just happen to have sensitive skin. For this reason, I can't shave more often than once every 7 days or so. Even there, I get cuts, no matter how careful I am, and my skin becomes irritated. I tried different shaving creams, but it turns out that I get alot of cuts when using cream... And so I settled for "cold" shaving in a hot shower, without cream. Thats the way I get the less skin damage. If I ever shave more often, I just get lots more cuts. But this is not all, no matter what, when I shave my skin only stays fresh for about 8 hours, after that, it becomes reddish, and the next day I have an acne rush.

I find it annoying. I don't like having a beard. Its irritating, it itches, I don't find it too attractive, and it deters my crossdressing. So, you must see where I'm getting at : I am considering getting permanently rid of the beard. My mother, which is not very supportive of all this, is trying to convince me that I might later want to grow a beard, but it seems to me like its never really been such a big fashion for men to have beard, and that if its annoying now, it probably won't be any less annoying, ever.

My questions are mostly practical questions, for anyone that has done it:

1. How much did/does it cost you per face treatment?
2. After how many treatments did you see a difference?
3. After how many treatments was the beard fully eliminated (or became invisible)
4. Did any beard hair ever come back after (new hair)?
5. How painful was it?
6. Would you recommend it?

Rachel_740
04-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Nyx,

I don't know where your located. I'm in the UK and currently having laser hair removal. I've had 4 of an estimated 6 treatments required and I'm very pleased with the results so far.

It does depend on your skin and hair colouring as to how effective the treatment is, and I'm an ideal candidate, with fair skin and dark hair - I believe it has little or no effect with blonde hair because it needs the contrast between skin and hair.

I am having the treatment at my local Nuffield hospital (I did go to a beauty salon first, but thier machine was less powerful and it cost more). The price is about £150 per session.

To finish your questions, I noticed a difference after the first treatment. There are 3 stages of hair growth, so over a period of several weeks I can go from having almost no facial hair, to having a noticable shadow (although the shadow is nothing like what I started with and I can hide it fairly well with an ordinary foundation - I know it's there, but I have been told it doesn't show, which I don't really believe).

They say that the treatment is not permanent and that over the years you can expect some re-growth, but having read alot about it online I think that they may be acting on the cautious side, as it is a relatively new treatment and they have no long term (20/30/40 years) results.

The pain isn't too bad really. After my second treatment I had to complain that it didn't hurt enough. The more work the laser is doing the more painful it is.

Yes I would reccomend it - dependant on you having the right skin andf hair colouring.

Anne

Nyx
04-02-2005, 01:50 AM
150 pounds per session sounds extremely expensive though, for something thats not 100% effective...

Natasha Anne
04-02-2005, 08:38 AM
I've written a lot about my experiences with this at my web page. Link is in my signature below.

In a nutshell, I went more than 15 times. It got less painful each time, and the first time was hell. It thinned my neck and my cheeks quite well, but the moustache and chin areas although slightly diminished didn't improve markedly

It's been 2 years since my last sessions and my cheeks and neck have still not recovered to the extent they were before I started laser.

Also, laser is great if you go 2 weeks before a big night out. You face will be super clear, but at best it seems temporary.

DonnaT
04-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Nyx,

Have you considered the creams that are available for men's faces? Like VEET?

As for Laser:

A lot depends on your hair type. If you have light colored hair then lasering may not work for you.

Note that hair grows in cycles, thus repeated sessions are necessary to get the hairs that grow after the previous hair was lasered off.

Also, if going for laser, buy a group of sessions at the same time, as it will be more expensive if you buy each session individually.

Some laser techniques do not use enough power to kill the follical, and some are too powerful and damage the skin.
Laser clinics should give you a consult to discuss their technique and cost, as well as discuss your hair type, etc. Read up on the technique the clinics near you use, and also read up on various other techniques and decide which is right for you.

Here's an interesting thread on the subject.

http://crossdressers-forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=792

More info:

http://www.newhair.com/treatment/other-laser-hair-removal.asp

http://www.bogomoletsclinic.com.ua/en/?view=txt&div=en_news&id=54114290204

http://www.topdocs.com/dp.asp?id=coolglide-lhr&ba=no

http://www.aesthetic-lasers.com/medical-lasers.cfm

The laser light is absorbed by hair follicles, and spares other skin appendages. Cooling devices further prevent heat damage to the rest of the skin. Laser hair removal needs multiple sessions. Regrowth of hair after each session may take from 3 months to up to a year. The regrowth is thinner, slower and scantier after each session.

Virginia
04-02-2005, 04:52 PM
AS fate would have it I had my first of six treatments, Friday! It was, how shall I say, uncomfortable, but tolerable. A cross between a slight burn and a skin prick. I was "zapped" 21 times and I flinched 21 times. Within 3 hours after I had no uncommon sensations on my skin. My next appointment is this coming Thursday. My problem is I have a number of (who me) gray hairs in my "beard." These reflect the light and are not affected by the light to any great degree. In looking at my face today, my beard is mostly gray now as the light did get a majority of the darker hairs. I had a two day growth when I went in. I will probably shave today and not again, then on Tuesday I will apply either a hair dye or beard dye in black. I have also been told that what if any of the dye that gets on my skin will also more likely attract the light and can increase the discomfort considerably, so I hope that by Thursday I will be able to remove most of the dye from my skin. If not guess I will suffer. The things we have to do for beauty!?
As for the cost I am sure it varies with locations. I got six sessions, plus the initial consultation for $800.00.
There is a skin numbing lotion that you can buy or there is a prescription type - it works, but it takes about 20 minutes to set in. The over the counter works, but not quite as well.
Hope this helps and if you pursue it, good luck. It pretty much works for most people from what I know about it.

Nyx
04-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Dying your beard hair won't help with laser. It has to attack the root... So unless you can get the root pigmented, all you risk doing is damaging your skin and wasting your cash.

Aloha_Dana
04-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I wish there was an easy method of permanent hair removal. You'd think that it shouldn't be that difficult with science where it is today.

I've been sitting here noticing that my face was getting more and more irritated because of my two-day growth. I wish I could get rid of it-forever.

Nyx, sorry to hear you have such sensitive skin. I personally use Kiss My Face shaving lotion. Silky smooth and feels great anywhere ;)

Dana

P.s., tell your Ma that if you get it removed, and if at a later date that you need a beard, you'll wear a beard wig! :o