PDA

View Full Version : TEXAS - help requested for young CD?

Nicki B
11-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I've received a request for help from a 16yr old CD in Texas. Unfortunately, at that age, they're too young to join the Forum I help moderate - and I presume also here?

Does anyone have any resources/contacts for young, questioning trans people specifically in Texas, or the wider USA, that I can pass on?

Thanks...

brun123
11-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I know I have had problems finding resources for CD, TV, TS whatever that are younger. one that i have found is PFLAG. Also, this website http://www.lauras-playground.com/teens.htm has a forum for teens. Hope this helps.

Julogden
11-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Hi Nicki,

Here's a page (http://www.unt.edu/ally/resources/transgender.htm) of TG resources in Texas including some youth resources, maybe there's some help to be found there.

Carol

Nicki B
11-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Many thanks! :)

Kieron Andrew
11-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Laura's playground was the one i was going to state, definitely good for teens

JenniferR771
11-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Chrysalis offers support for young people.
http://www.tgchrysalis.com/

Jodi
11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Under 18? I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. You are just asking for big time trouble.

Jodi

sissy_she_boy
11-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Most major metropolitan areas do have groups for Tansgendered youth that are under tha age of 18. I am not sure of Tx. but I am sure there are some there as well. Just do a search for GLBT in your community.

kisses
sissy dana

Kieron Andrew
11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Found these nicki

http://www.outyouth.org/index.html Austin
http://www.youthfirsttexas.org/whatIsYouthFirstTexas.php Dallas
http://www.pflagdallas.org/ Dallas
http://www.pflag-austin.org/ Austin

Dont know how current they are but its a start

TxKimberly
11-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Under 18? I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. You are just asking for big time trouble.

Jodi

The bad news is, as harsh as the words sound, Jody may be right. I've always wondered what I would do if someone young approached me. I would desperatly want to help - I remember how bad it was as a teenager, always thinking your the freak. I would want to help her but I would be terrified.

Kieron Andrew
11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
The bad news is, as harsh as the words sound, Jody may be right. I've always wondered what I would do if someone young approached me. I would desperatly want to help - I remember how bad it was as a teenager, always thinking your the freak. I would want to help her but I would be terrified.

what harm can giving a few links to point them in the right direction to seek support themselves seeing as they came to an adult forum on their own steam anyway, and who knows how hard it was to work up the courage to doing that in the first place only to be turned away for being under 18......its not as if you are helping them dress and holding their hand...

Joy Carter
11-04-2007, 07:25 PM
what harm can giving a few links to point them in the right direction to seek support themselves seeing as they came to an adult forum on their own steam anyway, and who knows how hard it was to work up the courage to doing that in the first place only to be turned away for being under 18......its not as if you are helping them dress and holding their hand...

Kieron you don't know our (US) lawyers. :Angry3:

sissy_she_boy
11-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Personally, I don't see any harm in helping out someone in need. Granted, if your persuit of this person is totally sexual, you could be in for a world of trouble. But if your motives are sincere and you only wish to give them a little guidance, then there is no harm in it.
I have known a few young high school aged m2f girls, and I was happy to do it. The only problem with the younger ones is that they tend to stray a little bit. The girls that I knew were involved in drugs and prostitution. I have not seen any of them in a couple of years, but hopefully they have gotten their lives together and are happy with the dicisions that they have made.

kisses
sissy dana

Kieron Andrew
11-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Kieron you don't know our (US) lawyers. :Angry3:

hey dont get angry at me i was just asking a question seeing as there are so many support groups out there for teens, so the law must cover them to get support that they need, it was an innocent question!

nancigirl
11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Actually, there is a great deal of help and many resources for young t-girls (and young t-boys too). The PFLAG suggestion is a good one.
I would also suggest Lynn Conway's website. (don't have the link handy, but it can be found easily via google.)
And i would also suggest the video of the Barbara Walters 20/20 Special from several months ago. (i have seen that most or all of it is available via Youtube. And i think there are some resources linked there as well.) The program featured 3 young trans kids; two of them were m2f--one 6 years old and the other 10 years old. Both were living fulltime as girls and were enrolled as girls in school. And there will be medical treatment available for them at the appropriate ages.

Families with trans children as young as preschool now DO have resources available, unlike the way things were only 5 or so years ago.

The Lynn Conway website i mentioned has information and links to resources for young (teen and even preteen) transitioners.

Nancy

TxKimberly
11-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Kieron ,
You are of course 100% right. I would not hesitate to provide links and encouragement via the Internet. I was thinking more along the lines of any kind of face to face meeting but I failed to make that at all clear in my earlier post. Let's face it, there ARE a lot of freaks out there that prey on children, and any parent worth the title is going to be very touchy about who meets, speaks to, or advises their child. I'd say it's a safe bet if they get wind that an adult crossdresser has met or is advising their child, things could get real heated real fast. I HATE having to take such a paranoid stance, but I really think you would run the risk of getting hurt very badly if you meet with her. It's terrible, but the truth is most of the world does not understand what we are. The movies and TV shows portray us as serial killers and nuts, and most people probably place us on the list of "people I don't want my child meeting" right under a pedophiles. Sad, based on ignorance, but there it is.

So let me make sure I haven't confused the issue any more than I need to. I suggest offering all help and advice you can via the Internet, but I personally would not agree to meet in person.

Joy Carter
11-04-2007, 08:21 PM
hey dont get angry at me i was just asking a question seeing as there are so many support groups out there for teens, so the law must cover them to get support that they need, it was an innocent question!

No No Kieron ! I was commenting on the sad shape of our legal system over here.

Ya know I love ya, Ya big hunk a guy ! :love:

Nicki B
11-05-2007, 06:15 AM

Jodi

That's why we've had the policy we do, for a long time... It's a site with adult discussions, for adults - our rules say no under-18s.

I've just tried to pass on some other places to look for support - most of us know what it felt like at that age - in fact this guy (his identification) seems remarkably well adjusted, but starting to think he/she shouldn't be hanging too far out in public, in Texas...

I've been very careful not to suggest personal contacts with any individuals. The world is a sad place.

Anyway, I've passed on all the suggestions - thanks for all your help. :)

MsJanessa
11-05-2007, 08:03 AM
It depends on how you help them---refering them to websites designed for teenage TGs is alright---but I wouldn't go further and by no means should you agree to personally meet them.

Jodi
11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Color me very cautious. Under 18 is a child. When dealing with a child as an adult, you will always be under scrutiny by some people. What I'm thinking as trouble is--What happens when mom and dad find out that their boy has been given help over the net to find resources. They call the police. The police investigate and follow through to your computer. There is a knock on the door for you to come downtown for questioning. What was your true intent with this minor child? The next thing you know you are arrested, fingerprinted, hiring a lawyer just to explain that you were being a nice guy and helping out this young man. The judge still wants to know--just what were your true intentions?

Do you people get my idea? We as cd's are not considered mainstream and normal by most of the population. How many times have we seen the pervert word associated with a cd? What you would have is cd and association with a minor child. Regardless of how innocent your intentions are, you can get fried, then be required to register as a sexual offender for the rest of your life.

I think a lot of caution is called for in a situation like this. Don't communicate anything with one who is under 18.

Jodi

TxKimberly
11-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Color me very cautious. Under 18 is a child. When dealing with a child as an adult, you will always be under scrutiny by some people. What I'm thinking as trouble is--What happens when mom and dad find out that their boy has been given help over the net to find resources. They call the police. The police investigate and follow through to your computer. There is a knock on the door for you to come downtown for questioning. What was your true intent with this minor child? The next thing you know you are arrested, fingerprinted, hiring a lawyer just to explain that you were being a nice guy and helping out this young man. The judge still wants to know--just what were your true intentions?

Do you people get my idea? We as cd's are not considered mainstream and normal by most of the population. How many times have we seen the pervert word associated with a cd? What you would have is cd and association with a minor child. Regardless of how innocent your intentions are, you can get fried, then be required to register as a sexual offender for the rest of your life.

I think a lot of caution is called for in a situation like this. Don't communicate anything with one who is under 18.

Jodi

Let's not let this get out of hand. There is no reason not to offer her links to resources. The only area where you need to be worried about is meeting her face to face. Give her all the help you can Online.