PDA

View Full Version : how long to see a therapist

DebsD
11-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi i saw my doctor about 6 weeks ago and told him i may be ts, he said he would refer me to a physcologist but nothing yet? how long should i wait? things are pretty desperate at min and i need to talk to someone proffesional

CaptLex
11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi i saw my doctor about 6 weeks ago and told him i may be ts, he said he would refer me to a physcologist but nothing yet? how long should i wait? things are pretty desperate at min and i need to talk to someone proffesional
Six weeks and nothing yet? Call him and pester him until you get that referral. :p

Nicki B
11-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Debs -

You're in Worcester, right? The NHS can grind slowly, but there's no harm in ringing up and pestering your GP - has he found someone to refer you to yet? If he has, you could ring the psych direct to see if you can get an appointment yourself?

You could talk to Ryan (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/member.php?u=27246), as well - I think he's had dealings with psych's in your part of the world?

Stephenie S
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Call the therapist yourself, dear. Do some research. Start calling out of the yellow pages. Tell them you have some gender issues that you need to sort out. Pester your doctor also.

Stop waiting for the world to do for you. Get busy making your life happen. That's the ONLY way to make any changes in your life. DO IT.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Nicki B
11-05-2007, 10:23 AM
PS - to meet up with others in similar situations, see http://www.transgenderzone.com/venueguide/UKMIDLANDS.htm
and you'll certainly find friends at Outskirts (http://www.outskirtstg.co.uk/), in Brum?

Nicki B
11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Call the therapist yourself, dear. Do some research. Start calling out of the yellow pages. Tell them you have some gender issues that you need to sort out. Pester your doctor also.

Stop waiting for the world to do for you. Get busy making your life happen. That's the ONLY way to make any changes in your life. DO IT.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Steph, for Debs to get treatment under the NHS through a Gender Identity Clinic, she has to be referred by her GP to a local psychiatrist, who decides if she should be funded to go to a GIC. With current financial constraints and the NHS's bureaucracy, that's not simple.

OTOH, if she can afford to go private, these folk are widely and highly recommended - http://www.transhealth.co.uk/

DebsD
11-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for everyones help ,you are right Nikki B that i need to wait for doctor to get any nhs funding!! I may go see someone private but long term this is not an option.

You inserted a hyperlink with the name ryan, i would love to speak to someone local, but when i click on link it says i can`t access that page, can`t find how i upgrade my account?? Maybe i just having a blonde moment!! don`t mind paying but cant find out how?

Thanks

Debs

Kieron Andrew
11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
You inserted a hyperlink with the name ryan, i would love to speak to someone local, but when i click on link it says i can`t access that page, can`t find how i upgrade my account?? Maybe i just having a blonde moment!! don`t mind paying but cant find out how?
2 more posts then you can access profiles and private messages, its all in the FAQs

DebsD
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Many thanks for that one:-) like i said blonde

Stephenie S
11-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, I was answering from the standpoint of one living in the US.

Sorry,
Stephenie

Deborah_UK
11-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Six weeks? I've been waiting six months :sad:

loriannetucson
11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Six weeks? Sheez, six months? I agree, that is way too long if you are needing assistance. You should do the research yourself, and even if you get a referral to a psychologist who does not specialize, you will be better off because you will get the ball rolling. That psychologist is sure to then point you in the right direction.

Mariah
11-05-2007, 10:49 PM
took me 3 months to see a physcologist. but I dont have insurince ether so..

hopes
keris

Nicki B
11-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Six weeks? Sheez, six months? I agree, that is way too long if you are needing assistance. You should do the research yourself, and even if you get a referral to a psychologist who does not specialize, you will be better off because you will get the ball rolling. That psychologist is sure to then point you in the right direction.

In the UK, for treatment under the NHS, it has to all be managed by the GP (General Practitioner = Family Doctor?). That doesn't mean you can't go to a private counsellor - but normal health insurance isn't likely to cover it?

You inserted a hyperlink with the name ryan, i would love to speak to someone local

I saw him at last night's Outskirts meeting - he said he'd be in touch? You might have to make one more post before he can pm you, though - put an answer to me on here? :winking:

stacie
11-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Call your own therapist, Do you really need a doctor to refer you... If its about insurance then keep calling him.

Kieron Andrew
11-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Call your own therapist, Do you really need a doctor to refer you... If its about insurance then keep calling him.
in the UK if people want to take the NHS route it is advisable to be referred by your GP to an NHS therapist, although you can go private insurance wont cover it over here like in the states, the system is different

Nicki B
11-06-2007, 12:55 PM
in the UK if people want to take the NHS route it is advisable to be referred by your GP to an NHS therapist

The NHS is pretty inflexible, and getting less so, because it costs so much?

It's the biggest single employer in W.Europe - but it can still deliver world-class care (some of the time, at least), particularly in emergency medicine?

Anthony Jake
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM

I did at one point labout two years ago try to go to see a psychologist, nothing to do with gender issues i had a lot of other stuff going on at that point and felt like if i didnt do something i may do something i would regret.. actually took myself to the hospital at one point because i was scared to be home alone : when i did speak to the doctor he told me it would be at least 2 years to get a referall to see a psychologist... yeh i know what a load of f***ing crap!!
Anyway, It does vary on an area to area basis, some regions of the country have a much longer waiting time than others.. (either less psychologists/therapists/psychaitrists in the area.. or just more people with issues :heehee:)
I would ask him if he did put in a request for a referal to make sure, and ask him if so how long you should be expected to wait.
My doctor did suggest to me at the time that i looked into local groups who would share the same sort of issues.. maybe you could do that? I dont know if you already do... at least then you would have people of a similar mind to talk with even if they are not proffesionals. :hugs:

Nicki B
11-06-2007, 01:06 PM
My doctor did suggest to me at the time that i looked into local groups who would share the same sort of issues.. maybe you could do that? I dont know if you already do... at least then you would have people of a similar mind to talk with even if they are not proffesionals. :hugs:

Can I refer the Hon Gentleman to Post #5 (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1069922&postcount=5)? :winking:

Otherwise, there's here, in this forum, to let off steam? :strugglin

DebsD
11-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for everyone`s help, and thanks especially to Nikki B, I got a Mail from ryan just, i will be in touch properly soon.

Thanks for everything

Kieron Andrew
11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Can I refer the Hon Gentleman to Post #5 (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1069922&postcount=5)? :winking:

Otherwise, there's here, in this forum, to let off steam? :strugglin

theres also westernboys :D

Cara Allen
11-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Lovies,
Stephenie

I agree with everything that Stephanie says, but for the part about the Yellow Pages... You will get lots of therapists who will see you, but they won't have a clue about gender issues. For that, you need specialized therapy. Check TS Roadmap for some very good and thorough advice on finding a qualified therapist. www.tsroadmap.com