PDA

View Full Version : Men in Tights

ToniB
04-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Have any of our UK gals spotted the above thread in the "conservative" Daily Telegraph recently. It started on 24th March with a letter to "Hilary", fashion Guru in the Style section.

Dear Hilary,
I gave my boyfriend a pair of my opaque tights to wear under his trousers in the cold weather. He seems to have taken quite a liking to them, and now I have found ladders mysteriously appearing in my sheers. He denies wearing them in secret, but admits to liking how they feel! Is it at all acceptable for men to wear tights under their trousers in winter?

Answer,
Acceptable? Whatever floats your boat. The men-in-tights trend has not made to any GQ trend in recent memory....That said, there are tights available for men, and there are men who wear them - the transvestite community aside, I'm told they are popular with cavers, long distance cyclists, outdoor workers, etc.
If you want to continue sharing them, Unisex WoMan tights by Levee are perfect, in black/skintone, 15 denier, up to 54" hip, and size 6foot plus from www.silk-stockings.co.uk. Site also has tights 4 men etc.....

By accident, the opposite page included a photo of The Lord Chief Justice in ancient regalia, obviously wearing black tights under his robe! A letter 2 days later pointed out this juxtaposition, and wondered whether they were knee length or popsocks! adding "In the interest of providing the public with a better understanding of how judges operate, perhaps the noble lord's communication unit could clarify!

Then on 28th March "Lord wolf is not the only man who wears tights, wildfowlers and foxhunters borrow their wive's tights as insulation against the cold, although one huntsman raised a few eyebrows when admitted to hospital after a fall. His tights were covered in little pink hearts!"

Finally on 31st March
Sir,
A gentleman out hunting informed me that he had taken to wearing women's tights beneath his breeches to keep out the cold. When asked for how long he had been doing this, he replied "Ever since my wife found a pair in the back of my car!"

Seems we are not the only ones to wear women's tights, by a long way! Wonder if we classify them as CDers?

ToniB

Bernadina
04-03-2005, 10:41 AM
No mention of panties (knickers) eh?

Nyx
04-03-2005, 10:44 AM
The fact that they wear tights is not like they are trying to build a feminine appearance. If they can be qualified as crossdressers, then they fit in the lingerie oriented ones, that only care for the sexual excitement women underwear gives them (that is, unless they do more than that in their intimacy).

Kimberly
04-03-2005, 12:03 PM
He denies wearing them in secret, but admits to liking how they feel!
This is just proof that women get nicer feeling clothes than we do!! Although, we all already know that, girls, don't we. :p

Sandra H
04-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Men in tights!!!! Whatever next??? They will want to wear high heels next!!! Would never have happened in my days I’ll tell you.

Sorry ToniB, but that’s my impersonation of an old Telegraph reader.

Mind you I must say they are not all like that these days as I take the Daily Telegraph, mind you on second thoughts maybe we are like that as I can have a rant at times, I could be on the TV program “Grumpy old men”.

But I have known for sometime that men who work outside like police wear tights under their uniforms and like you say the Lord Chief Justice wears black opaque tights as I remember seeing him on TV saying such.

ToniB
04-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi Sandra (liked your Yorkshire accent in another thread, quite convincing!)

I guess you missed the correspondence. I only picked up the last one, 'cos it seemed a good joke that the huntsman had only worn tights since his wife found a pair in the back of his car! Fortunately, all the previous letters were referenced, so I could trace them!

As far as Telegraph readers being grumpy old men "I don't believe it!" (with apologies to Victor Meldrew)

ToniB

Marianne
04-04-2005, 03:45 PM
wearing tights isn't that unusual for bikers , I knew quite a few who wore them for the warmth.

windycissy
04-04-2005, 03:51 PM
The Miami Dolphins were exposed for wearing pantyhose under their uniforms when they played in cold weather, back when they were the best team in the NFL.

Marianne
04-04-2005, 03:56 PM
The Miami Dolphins were exposed for wearing pantyhose under their uniforms when they played in cold weather, back when they were the best team in the NFL.

1947?
:)

celeste26
04-04-2005, 04:34 PM
NO it was not that long ago remember Bob Griese and he long undefeated season I think it was in the seventies.....

MonaSmith
04-04-2005, 04:43 PM
I learned bricklaying, as part of a city and guilds course, and our tutor told us to wear tights under our trousers to keep warm in the winter. I used to do it all the time, strangely even when the weather was nice :D

Mona xx.

Marianne
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
NO it was not that long ago remember Bob Griese and he long undefeated season I think it was in the seventies.....

Ah, now I remember.

'twas 1975, and the Miami Dolphins coach at the time, Don Shula, decided that the team needed to practice their cold weather techniques. So they started training in January, up in Albany NY.

However, they needed to maintain secrecy, so instead of practicing against another team, they built snowmen and placed them on the field in the various positions of the opposition.

The snowmen won, 27-15. :)

(just teasing ya, we now return you to the normal mayhem...)

Tamara Croft
04-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Robin Hood wore tights...... you think he was a CD?? infact all his Merry Men wore them aswell :p

Tamara x

Mistress Frillee
04-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Robin Hood wore tights...... you think he was a CD?? infact all his Merry Men wore them aswell :p

Tamara x

Thats why they were so merry!

:D

Tristen Cox
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
There's only one man in tights for me :D

Cissy Suzie
04-04-2005, 11:16 PM
There's only one man in tights for me :D

Tristen, girlfriend, you do realize where the saying "In like Flynn" originated? Woo Hoo ! :eek:

rachel_rachel
04-05-2005, 01:20 AM
I've seen race horse jockeys wearing stockings under their silks,
Does that mean all jockeys are CD's as well?

Deanna2
04-05-2005, 01:23 AM
When you go horse treking for any extended period you should either wear tights/pantyhose or shave your legs. Last time I went riding I did both - shaved my legs and wore pantyhose - just to be on the safe side.

Ashley in Virginia
04-05-2005, 01:24 AM
When I played high school football, alot of guys would wear pantyhose to keep warm on chilly fall nights.

sarah
04-05-2005, 01:34 AM
I do know for a fact that bikers wear tights especially on long rides .I allways do i just have trouble keeping my skirt from flying up around my ears xx

ToniB
04-05-2005, 04:41 AM
When I started this thread, I'd no idea it would generate so much input, and none of it related to the "staid" Daily Telegraph articles I'd refered to (I presume no-one else spotted them!). I'd no idea so many (assumed) straight men wear tignts under their drab to keep warm. So when I suggest to my non-supportive wife that I can wear her tights next winter, she will be quite happy to lend me some? Hmmmm, I wonder!

ToniB

Felicity
04-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Took me a few minutes to find this, but I remembered this TV commercial:
http://www.commercialcloset.org/cgi-bin/iowa/portrayals.html?record=44

Serena
04-05-2005, 09:24 PM
I may not live in UK, but I heard something similar on a morning show I listen to. They were talking about guys caught in their girlfriend's or wive's clothes, and one lady called in and said one man she knew at work wore pantyhose for warmth. Then more people called in, and said that in the north states, because it's usually cold, it's common for men to wear them under their pants.

Fiona K
04-06-2005, 12:25 AM
wearing tights isn't that unusual for bikers , I knew quite a few who wore them for the warmth.

Quite right Marianne!
I have several pairs of un-sexy thick tights for wear under my Bike leathers in the cold, I know my farther-in-law and other miners wore them down the pit too.

They do NOTHING for me in the above example!! I much prefer my sheers and hold-ups!!

Fiona
xx

Kimberly
04-06-2005, 07:03 AM
You just made me think of the movie with the same name as this thread :D

"We're men, we're men in tights"....

"We may look like pansies," - No, you look adorable :p And v. feminine...