PDA

View Full Version : Free at Last

Rita B
11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Last Sunday, I had an “epiphany”. I was driving back home from a Halloween Party held at the Randolph Country Club the night before. I had not been out as Rita in over 15 years. This weekend, I reserved a room at the Marriott, , went out as Rita in the middle of the day, had my nails done at a local Beauty Salon, and went shopping at Kohl’s and had my first ever makeover . All went so very smoothly in spite of a little problem at the Salon. Yours truly forgot to put her wallet in her purse when she left the hotel and had no money to pay for her nails. Like the commercial says, “Want to get away?”. A quick run back to the hotel ( only 5 minutes away) and I paid the bill. Everyone was so nice. The young lady who did my nails was the prettiest and nicest girl you would ever want to meet. I had bought a new dress and a new wig for the party and I think I looked elegant.

To cut to the chase, as I was driving home on this sunny Sunday morning, still basking in the afterglow of a fantastic evening, I finally realized what a fool I had been all these years to feel ashamed of what and who I was all these years. Here I was feeling glamorous and elegant and happier that I had ever been. I had done nothing wrong. I did not break any laws. I did not harm anyone. So, why, I asked myself should I go through all the clandestine gyrations every time I wanted to get pretty and be with my friends. Why should I feel ashamed of who I was.

I decided that I would go home and declare myself to my daughter and her family and anyone else who mattered. I came out to my wife some months ago and although she still has reservations about my lifestyle, we are making progress. I had already told her all about the Halloween Party at RCC and she was fine with it. I informed of her of my decision and gave her my reasons for it. I was tired of lying about my goings and comings to people I care for and I was not going to wait until they found out from strangers.

When I told my daughter, she was actually relieved. She thought that all the reasons for my “strange” behavior was that I was having an affair with another woman. ( I guess in a sense, I was). I had printed out some pictures at one of those automatic thingies at Wal Mart, so I had some photos to show her. She was very impressed and thought that I looked pretty good. She assured me that she had no problem with it and was glad that I decided to be open about it. Of course it does not take long for this kind of news to travel, so there are now a number of people who now know that I like to dress and go out as Rita.

I know that there will be some negative reactions and some snickering, but as far as I am concerned, if the people who matter the most are OK with it, that’s all that I care about. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel free, I feel energized. At long last, I can be me. I realize that each one of us has their own reasons for wanting to keep their “other life” a secret. For my part, I am so happy that my time to say, “This is who I am” has finally come.

Jilmac
11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
good for you rita! you go girl! i'm so glad that your daughter is so understanding. Jill

sissystephanie
11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Rita,

You have my warmest congratulations, and my envy! If I were as good looking as you, maybe I would come out to my kids. My late wife knew before we were married, but we agreed to not tell the children. Now some 50+ years later they still don't know! I am torn as too whether I should tell them, or let find out for themselves when something happens to me. If they look in the closets, or dresser drawers, they will certainly get an eyeful. I have way more feminine things then male ones.

Sissy/Stephanie

More Girl than man sometimes

Rita B
11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Rita,

You have my warmest congratulations, and my envy! If I were as good looking as you, maybe I would come out to my kids. My late wife knew before we were married, but we agreed to not tell the children. Now some 50+ years later they still don't know! I am torn as too whether I should tell them, or let find out for themselves when something happens to me. If they look in the closets, or dresser drawers, they will certainly get an eyeful. I have way more feminine things then male ones.

Sissy/Stephanie B

More Girl than man sometimes When the time is right, you will find a way. God Bless

Sharon
11-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Congratulations, Rita -- you had a rather substantial day.:happy:

RobertaFermina
11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Congrats and Good Luck!

Being a good person is not enough to ensure happiness for all, but it helps ! You are well on your way !

May your Courage and Love be rewarded with the Same !

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Dita_B
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
You just claimed your unalienable right to freedom of expression regardless of "what people may say"... congratulations!

If more people would think and act like you, the world would be a better place and we as crossdressers would be already a respected and integrated part of society...

After 15 year, what a relief this must have been for you!

:love:Dita

Billijo49504
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Fantabulis, Isn't wonderful when that weight is off your shoulders. It's easier remember the truth than a lie. I'm really glad for you. All my best ...BJ

Angie G
11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Thats great hun you go girl :hugs:
Angie

trannie T
11-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Congratulations! It's great when another girl flies out of the closet.

Christine Kelly
11-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Doesn't it feel great?
I started coming out in the fall of 2002 and have not looked back!
And guess what? The world didn't collapse. It kept on spinning.
And I am still the same person.
People still treat me the same, whether in guy mode or girl mode.
The feeling of relief at finally not having to hide something that
is a part of who I am, has been liberating!

Eileen
11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Congratulations Rita! Life is so good when we can be our true selves!

Eileen

uknowhoo
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh Rita, I am so very happy for you! What relief you must feel to be free at long last. Congratulations on your courage to just go for it! xoxo Tammi

Lucy Bright
11-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like you have a great daughter there, too.

Kisses,

Lucy

Sheri 4242
11-07-2007, 10:08 AM
. . . as far as I am concerned, if the people who matter the most are OK with it, that’s all that I care about. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel free, I feel energized. At long last, I can be me. I realize that each one of us has their own reasons for wanting to keep their “other life” a secret. For my part, I am so happy that my time to say, “This is who I am” has finally come.

Congratulations, Rita!!! It is so validating to be able to claim yourself for who and what you really are!!! For various reasons, some cannot express their inner selves to people who are significant to them. Others can express their inner beings to loved ones. What matters is that you are happy and confident within yourself!!! You sound as if you are, and that is fantastic!!! I have come out to a few people and know how you are feeling -- it does feel oh so right!!!

Carroll
11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
You know Rita, after hiding myself for the past 30 years, I also have started telling friends from my past about Carroll. Most of my good friends are girls and have been accepting of me. The one comment I get the most is "that explains a lot". Because of the way I am, it seemed to set off their "Gaydar" but they felt I was not gay, but just something "off" about me. Its not like I walk with a swing and fling my arms as a stereotypical "Flaming gay". I guess its the little things that seem odd. Dislike for all sports (NASCAR excluded), my less-then manly voice, a more "female attitude" on life in general, and defending anybody that is teased about their gender presentation, acting gay or any other odd things. I just dont care what people think any more and niether does my wife!

Chari
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Congratulations Rita! It is wonderful to hear you have family support and are "free" to enjoy who you really are! :happy:

Hugs2U, Chari

melissacd
11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I have to agree that it is a liberating process, I told my mother in the spring and I told one of my sisters last week. There is sense of relief on both sides, mine because I do not have to hide it from them anymore and them because they always knew that something was not right and now they understand what it is. My communication with my sister is wonderful now that we can talk about anything and everything comfortably and she even likes my sense of style :)

Rita B
11-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your all kind words. It is like I am starting life anew. . .

Hugs and God Bless

Rita

Kristen Marie
11-07-2007, 03:37 PM
That's great Rita! Now I'm really disappointed I didn't get out to the RCC for the Halloween celebration! Hopefully we will see you at Sisters some time.

May I ask where you had your nails done?

charllote34
11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Good for you dont have any regrets just enjoy NOW!

marie354
11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
It's great to be out of the closet, isn't it. I'm out and loving every minute.

tommi
11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
:clap: Congrats hope things work out as well with your wife as they did with your daughter.
I truly think our children are more understanding ,but I understand our wives
frustrations.:hugs:

TxKimberly
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Congrats Rita and I'm so happy this has brought you peace! :-)