PDA

View Full Version : Metro Sexual?

TxKimberly
11-11-2007, 12:29 AM
So I was in the Boston area for two weeks of training on an instrument along with a number of other engineers from my company. I was there more to evaluate the course than to attend it as I already have a lot of experience repairing this thing, so they would often ask me to assist them when it came to taking parts off or putting them on. One of the instructors is trying to juggle three things at once while trying to secure a bolt so I moved in to assist. One of our engineers from San Jose, CA gets a good look at my nails - longer than most men would tolerate and painted with clear polish. Apparently he had never noticed this before because he gives me this real odd look and says "Wow, you really have that whole Metro Sexual thing going don't you?" I trotted out my usual excuse - "Nah, these are just my guitar picks!" He is one of those macho guys that bore me to death, and woman all say they can't stand but always seem to wind up going home with. Hmm . . . he works in the same office as my director - wonder if I need to worry?
Hold on I'm trying . . . . nope, can't find any give a you-know-what in me about it! lol

AmberTG
11-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Well, I see your "give a d***" is busted again! Are you ever gonna get that thing fixed?:D

pamela_a
11-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Well, I see your "give a d***" is busted again! Are you ever gonna get that thing fixed?:D
Leave it busted. 99.8% of the time it's not worth the abuse.

-Paula-

Rachel Morley
11-11-2007, 01:43 AM
"Nah, these are just my guitar picks!" He is one of those macho guys that bore me to death, and woman all say they can't stand but always seem to wind up going home with.
:OMG: Kimberly, rarely do I read something that hits home like this phase does. I ALWAYS get comments about my long shaped, shiny nails! ... from both GGs and guys at my workplace. I even had my boss the Director of Plant Operations ask me "hey, I gotta know ...what's with the nails?" after a plant manager's meeting :o

About what you said about: ".... macho guys that bore me to death, and woman all say they can't stand but always seem to wind up going home with." Tell me about it! ... this is/was one of THE most depressing things for me in my past before I met my wife Marla. Women I knew and were close friends with, would be constantly complaining to me that guys suck a** and that they are so macho and arrogant yet these same women, who I would see the following month, would be with a new guy who I could totally tell in only a few minutes of their company was a complete macho a**hole. I might be a girly guy but I am a guy .... and I can see right through those sorts of guys.

Anyway, don't worry too much about it. So you like to have long finger nails ...so what? :D

Megan_Girl
11-11-2007, 02:54 AM
One of our engineers from San Jose, CA gets a good look at my nails - longer than most men would tolerate and painted with clear polish. Apparently he had never noticed this before because he gives me this real odd look and says "Wow, you really have that whole Metro Sexual thing going don't you?"

My pat answers these days to those who comment on my longer nails and clear polish is - "Well, my girls and I ...... we have fun at my house" Most of the people I work with know I'm a doting husband and father to my wife and daughter. I don't know what they think after my answer.... and I don't give a d*** either! - must be something going around. :D They seem satisfied....I've never had anyone ask a follow up question.

XXX
Megan

noname
11-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Heck, I'm going for acrylics when my contract ends next month. So what if I have a job interview after that? Screw it, if they can't tolerate diversity I don't want to work for them. But if your ever asked about your nails just ask if they ask this question to all people they know.

But lets talk about guys. Why do women go for these guys who no fashion taste? You'd think those kind would be left in the dust, yet they seem to flock to such average joes. Standard issue hair cut, bathed only well enough not to stink, and clothes only serve the purpose of covering themselves. I'd think women would want a well put together confident guy. Go figure.

Lisa Golightly
11-11-2007, 04:30 AM
As I'm a provincial girl am I a Provincial Sexual?

Angie G
11-11-2007, 04:40 AM
My nails are longerthen most guys and not high gloss do have a shine to them no one has ever said anything :hugs:
Angie

Lana_CD
11-11-2007, 07:26 AM
I had a fellow employee make a comment about my long girlie nails once.
I just picked up a roll of electrical tape and tossed it to him. Then told him, you have a hot wire in your right hand, start the tape off the roll so you can insulate and isolate it.
Nothing more was ever said about my long girlie nails.

morgan51
11-11-2007, 07:50 AM
I have acrylics 24/7 3/8 in past my fingertips no one has hassled me about them I do get a few looks but very few comments when asked I just say "because I like them". They are usually polished with a very durable clear gel polish. Morgan

JULIE33362
11-11-2007, 07:56 AM
I have acrylics 24/7 3/8 in past my fingertips no one has hassled me about them I do get a few looks but very few comments when asked I just say "because I like them". They are usually polished with a very durable clear gel polish. Morgan
ME TOO O WELL WHAT YOU GOING TO DO IT HARD TO BE A GIRL ----- BUT WORTH IT

Jennifer in CO
11-11-2007, 08:44 AM
I used to work in the photo industry. When handling negatives, if you had long nails you simply picked up the neg by the corner - the point in the quick of the nail and the nail itself acting as a shelf - you never touched the surface of the neg! That was almost 20 years ago. When people ask me about my nails now, I tell them "you do something for 20 years and then quit...I just gotten used to them being this long so they're staying" (1/4 to 3/8 past the end of the finger-pinkies are 1/2 inch). Although I'll admit, they are rarly polished anymore....

Jenn

DanaJ
11-11-2007, 08:45 AM
I've posted this several times before, but I always find the best defense is a good offense. I have had comments on my nails in the past also (gels or acrylics, about 1/4 inch free edge and shaped) - when someone asks me "what's up with your nails?" I don't even answer them, I just ask them "what's up with your teeth? Ever hear of a dentist?" or "Damn man, have you tried a shower or deodorant?".

They always go on the defensive, and for some reason don't bug me about my nails again. I have the same deal with my brows too, I just use the same tactic :)

Rita B
11-11-2007, 09:01 AM
My married daughter has picked up on my nails, but then she is a trained manicurist.

Tasha T
11-11-2007, 09:42 AM
"Nah, these are just my guitar picks!"

I just hope you can really play the guitar. If someone walks up to you with a guitar to test your skills (and your line) you better be able to back it up.

Geneva Lake
11-11-2007, 09:46 AM
"what's up with your teeth?"

That's a riot!! I will use that!

:D
Gen

Karren H
11-11-2007, 09:48 AM
"all the better to tear your eyeballs out my dear" Whaaaahahahaha... Sorry... Guess you could have said that before Halloween!! hehe

Michelia
11-11-2007, 09:56 AM
How long are your nails?

I get comments from the guys I work with and they are not past my fingertips. They say I have too much "white" or "they are shaped too nicely". They have used the term "metrosexual" before which I do not like at all because I know in their mind that means "gay". I would not dare let them grow any more.

Michelia

TxKimberly
11-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I just hope you can really play the guitar. If someone walks up to you with a guitar to test your skills (and your line) you better be able to back it up.

Why yes, yes I do play guitar. In fact I'm almost as obssesed with it as with crossdressing. Here is a song I put together on my little home recording studio (Multitracker). This little toy lets one person play all of the parts of a song so every instrument you here is played by . . . me! lol

Ghost Riders in the Sky (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaHBTo-UnO8)

Fortunately just about everyone at my company that knows me is well aware of my music hobby. I used to travel with my guitar everywhere I went until a very expensive guitar was destroyed on a training trip much like the one I just completed. It was a big deal with me when it happened and I skipped out of that training class to raise hell with United Airlines about. The guys are still picking on me over it.
"Hey you didn't bring your good guitar this time did ya'?" or before training starts "Do you need time to call United Airlines?"
GRRRR! lol

sissystephanie
11-11-2007, 10:07 AM
My nails are well past my fingertips, and rounded to look feminine! Also, they are always painted in a pale pink. If anyone comments, I just tell them I like them that way!:happy: Since I am an Insurance sales person, I sometimes say that I have them that way so people will watch my hands when I am pointing out particular parts of a policy. You could do the same, Kimberly. Make sure they are watching your hands pointing out diffferent parts!

Sissy/Stephanie

More Girl than man sometimes

Tasha T
11-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Ghost Riders in the Sky

Nice job on the song.

I can't play the guitar, but it would be nice to have an excuse as to why I grow my nails out. Maybe I should start carrying around a "Guitar Hero" guitar and give that as the reason.

janet1234
11-11-2007, 10:55 AM
but what is 'Metro Sexual'?

TxKimberly
11-11-2007, 11:02 AM

The term is new to me as well and so I may be wrong, but as I understand it, it describes someone who is "straight" but takes on some of the attributes of being "gay". Think of being the straight guy trying to work in the fashion world. I'm sure someone here can describe it better than that.

Marla S
11-11-2007, 11:52 AM
The term is new to me as well and so I may be wrong, but as I understand it, it describes someone who is "straight" but takes on some of the attributes of being "gay". Think of being the straight guy trying to work in the fashion world. I'm sure someone here can describe it better than that.
That's pretty much it.
A term that was invented for those men that do more than shower, shaving, aftershave for their appearance in order to have a label and not to be considered gay.

Typical "metrosexuals" would be David Backham, George Clooney, Johnny Depp. Sometimes even Bill Clinton is considered metrosexual.

Actually it is a quite silly term, resulting from homophobia, but it could help us in a way.

MsJanessa
11-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Darling I wouldn't worry about being busted at work etc---if you are half as talented engineer as you are a Crossdresser, your employer isn't going to care one way or the other.

Ruth
11-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Where I work, it is considered very bad manners to make personal remarks about a co-worker's appearance (unless they are totally bland and complimentary). Repeated personal remarks could also result in disciplinary proceedings (particularly if they concern sexual orientation).
I try to be fairly discreet and only wear clear varnish at work, but I am reasonably confident that I will not be the one to lose out if anybody makes a big deal out of it.

Holly
11-11-2007, 12:52 PM
From Wikipedia...

"Metrosexual is a neologism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neologism) generally applied to heterosexual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosexual) men with a strong concern for their appearance, and who display many of the lifestyle tendencies of stereotypical gay men. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_English_Dictionary), the etymology and definition of the word are:
[< metro- (in METROPOLITAN a.) + SEXUAL a., punningly after HETEROSEXUAL a. and n.]
n. A man (esp. a heterosexual man) whose lifestyle, spending habits and concern for personal appearance are likened to those considered typical of a fashionable, urban, homosexual man.
Debate surrounds the term's use as a theoretical signifier of gender deconstruction and its associations with consumerism."

While I was out the other day, someone asked me why I had pink polish (it was actually lavender) on my nails. I simply told them that I was tired of the red. That stopped that conversation!

TxKimberly
11-11-2007, 03:14 PM
While I was out the other day, someone asked me why I had pink polish (it was actually lavender) on my nails. I simply told them that I was tired of the red. That stopped that conversation!

That was TOO funny! lol

UASIANGAL
11-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Attitudes are the same everywhere! And yes, many associate metrosexuals are being "so gay" that it's widely accepted here - in the big metrocity of Hong Kong (where Batman is being filmed right this moment!) I get the comments that I seem gay just because I am well groomed and fashionable in my boy mode. That's just old fashion attitudes anywhere in the world! A lot of men still won't wear pink!

charllote34
11-11-2007, 03:53 PM
i wouldnt worry , keep painting them , keep growing them and enjoy the comments .Before i joined this site i thought " Metro Sexual" was a third gender that lived in the underground train system , hidden from view they live in the tunnels!!! LOL!!!:hugs::devil:

vivianann
11-12-2007, 02:22 AM
I get questions all the time about my nails I wear mine at least 1/4 inch past the finger tips, I tell them that I have always worn them that long since I was a little boy, my dad used to get mad at me for having my nails long, the reason for the long nails for me is I cannot stand the feeling of short nails, it is like nails scratching the chalk board. another reason for long nails it is alot easier to pick up things with. I also tell them I like long nails too. I dont give a damn what they think.

Leah B
11-12-2007, 08:04 AM
When people have asked me "what's with your nails" I play dumb and say "Oh, I painted them, you can't tell?" If hey ask why I say "Because I like it."

These answer seem to annoy them as much as their questions annoy me. Really, if you ask a stupid question...

CathyKR
11-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I get questions all the time about my nails I wear mine at least 1/4 inch past the finger tips, I tell them that I have always worn them that long since I was a little boy, my dad used to get mad at me for having my nails long, the reason for the long nails for me is I cannot stand the feeling of short nails, it is like nails scratching the chalk board. another reason for long nails it is alot easier to pick up things with. I also tell them I like long nails too. I dont give a damn what they think.

That could be me!

I wear my own natural nails about that length - around 6mm, or 1/4 inch - beyond the fingertip. I've worn them long since I was a little boy of around 8 or 9, but my Dad hated them. He was always pestering me to cut them. His viewpoint was "what would the neighbours/his friends think?". My Mum was more supportive. There were strong-minded women in my life from a very early age, many of whom wore their natural nails (very) long, including my Mum (this was the 1960s, when long natural nails seemed to be so much more prevalent than today). These women must have been my inspiration, I guess. The longest I've had mine was when I was at University in my late teens/early twenties, when I let them grow to just over half an inch.

I don't see long nails as purely a girl (genetic or not) thing.

I wear clear OPI Nail Envy polish on my nails - usually gloss when en femme, matt otherwise - for strengthening. I also take MSM, which helps to strengthen them and keep them healthy.

SiobhanW
11-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I like to wear my nails longer than the average male too, at least until one breaks and I trim them all down to a "normal male" length. But it's got nothing to do with the dressing. I work on my cars and it's just a darn sight easier to get the dirt and grease from underneath longer nails!

What I really need to do for myself though is get a manicure (and a pedicure). I'm absolutely hopeless at shaping.

This last week I actually caught one of the girls at work staring at my nails while we were sat together in a meeting. I could see her trying to figure out just what my deal was. But she never said anything and so I didn't have to explain it.

CathyKR
11-23-2007, 11:10 AM
What I really need to do for myself though is get a manicure (and a pedicure). I'm absolutely hopeless at shaping.
Yes, go on, treat yourself! I've been having regular manicures for the past two years or so. I always go man-clothed (I'm still not very confident in public en femme) and the lady who does my nails is always saying how jealous she is of my long nails! Boy, does that make me feel good.:happy:

This last week I actually caught one of the girls at work staring at my nails while we were sat together in a meeting. I could see her trying to figure out just what my deal was. But she never said anything and so I didn't have to explain it.
I get that, too. A few women where I work are convinced I'm gay. Their equation is: long nails + pierced earrings = gay. How wrong they are.:rolleyes:

CathyKR
11-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Where I work, it is considered very bad manners to make personal remarks about a co-worker's appearance (unless they are totally bland and complimentary). Repeated personal remarks could also result in disciplinary proceedings (particularly if they concern sexual orientation).
Same where I work - Civil Service in London. We've come a long way in the 25 years that I've been a servant of HM Government.

AmberTG
11-23-2007, 12:07 PM
I try to wear mine a bit longer, but much like a lot of women I know, they chip quite easily so I'm always having to trim them back to keep the chip from getting worse. I've thought about getting an acrylic coating of some kind, just to strengthen them, not that I'd mind having longer nails, I just can't get them long before they break on something!
On a side note, why is it that so many of you are worried about someone else thinking you're gay? If you're not, why would you care what someone else thinks? If you are gay, why would you care what someone else thinks? I just don't get that part! I'm sure people see me and wonder if I'm gay, or maybe think "oh, he's gotta be gay", So what? I know who I am and it doesn't matter what they think. I get strange looks from people because I carry a fanny pack like a purse and I'm always practicing my "girl walk" in public (in guy mode), but nobody has ever said anything to me, why would they, they got their own problems to worry about!
I could go on about this, but I'm afraid I'd be wandering too far off topic, maybe a different thread would be better for this.
Anyway, I used to be able to grow stronger nails, but I guess that's a side effect of changing to estrogen, your nails get thinner and more brittle. Arrrg!

CathyKR
11-23-2007, 12:32 PM
On a side note, why is it that so many of you are worried about someone else thinking you're gay?

I don't know if you include me in that group, but I'm not in the slightest bit worried about being thought of as gay. I'm comfortable with my sexuality. I was only commenting on how often folk assume that my somewhat femme looks (even when man-clothed) mean that I'm necessarily gay. It's an all-too-easy (and lazy) assumption that has no foundation, in my experience (all the CDs I know are straight, and none of the gays I know are CDs, AFAIK).

AmandaM
11-23-2007, 12:56 PM
A term that was invented for those men that do more than shower, shaving, aftershave for their appearance in order to have a label and not to be considered gay. Typical "metrosexuals" would be David Backham, George Clooney, Johnny Depp. Sometimes even Bill Clinton is considered metrosexual.

Think guys who dress nice, play tennis, are named Skip and have a girlfriend named Muffy. They own Gucci's and Rolex's. They don't own any jeans, except what looks good with their Rockports and sports coat. They don't own pickup trucks. They use hairgel. They wear cologne. They get manicures. Think Rod Stewart. LOL!

Nicole Erin
11-23-2007, 03:05 PM
when someone asks me "what's up with your nails?" I don't even answer them, I just ask them "what's up with your teeth? Ever hear of a dentist?" or "Damn man, have you tried a shower or deodorant?".

They always go on the defensive, and for some reason don't bug me about my nails again. I have the same deal with my brows too, I just use the same tactic :)

HAHAHAHAH!
I can hear it now - "You need to cut those nails"
"you need to brush those teeth".

It is funny you say this cause st work when I first started, the rotten-tooth having'est woman there had stupid Q's.

SiobhanW
11-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I kind of like this whole metro-sexual thing, and it being OK to look clean and well groomed. I don't have to look like a 70s porn star any more - to quote from Austin Powers....."You are hairy, like animal!"

One of my huge hangups at the moment is my body hair, which just seems to be getting more plentiful on my back and other body parts while it dissapears from my head. Again, it doesn't really have anything to do with the dressing (although that will be a considerable bonus), but I do want a cleaner appearance.

At the moment I shave my armpits and the areas associated with a "Brazillian" (including the meat and two veg). I took hair which must have been something like 4 inches long from my armpits! I know, shameful! The next time I have a chance, I'm going to shave my back (which is something I've been talking to my wife about for several months now) and I'm going to have a go at my legs (but the latter will be for the dressing)

Eventually I'm going to have laser removal done, with several areas done permanently and the balance done for reduction. Here is my short list:

Permanent

Back & shoulders
Butt cheeks
Butt crack
Perenium (area between testicles and butt crack)
Testicles
Penile shaft
Bikini line

Reduction

Arms
Armpits*
Legs
Chest
Abdomen*

*might put on the permanent list

I'd also like to try and get my beard area done permanently. I absolutely hate shaving it and have beard hair that is very dark indeed - it almost looks like I haven't shaved even right after just doing so. It's in the beard line on my neck that I seem to get the most ingrown hairs too, which are usually quite painful.

Sally24
11-24-2007, 10:38 AM
It generaly means men that go in for many traditional "female" cosmetic procedures and products....trimming eyebrows, facials, mainicures and pedicures, moisturizers, etc. They are unusually concerned with their appearance and pay particular attention to their clothes and fashions in general.

"And you say that like it's a bad thing!"

scherylnmke
11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
This is quite off the subject, but THIS GIRL ROCKS!!!

SiobhanW
11-26-2007, 05:33 PM

Update. One week on, same weekly meeting. Sitting next to the same girl when she starts chewing furiously on one of her nails. "You'll regret that later", says I. "This ones broken", says she. "I have a really good nail file in my briefcase", says I "would you like to borrow it?" :heehee:

She declined, but I'll bet she's wondering even more now.

Ðarissa
11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
I've never had long nails but I'm gonna see if I can get them a bit longer than usual just to see if anybody notices. :p

I'm always practicing my "girl walk" in public (in guy mode), but nobody has ever said anything to me, why would they, they got their own problems to worry about!LOL! I do that too...in guy mode. I sometimes do that 'model' walk where you put one foot directly in front of the other... while I'm pushing a grocery cart or crossing a parking lot. I don't care if somebody notices and nobody has ever said anything.

RobertaFermina
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Unless they are jerk-offs, I tell them straight. If I like them, I show them some pictures.

I'm just not into telling stories, and unless I'm dressed, I'm not that good at telling jokes !

:rose: Roberta :rose:

JoAnnDallas
11-27-2007, 09:29 AM
My nails are always longer than a mans and I keep them polished with a Pale Pink Polish. As I posted some of the women at work have seen my nails and now even my polished toes. I have noticed that no one seems to really notice that I have longer than usual nails and I am wearing Pink Polish on them. Those women that have noticed, I have had positive responses from them. My nails have been as long as 1/2" past my tips, then I have them cut back, but even then they are past my tips. I got acrylic nails back in 2005 and have had them ever sense.

Bonnie D
11-27-2007, 10:29 AM
I usually start letting them grow about a month before my biannual trips out of town. That is where I get dressed and go out on the town, polished nails and all. My problem is trying not to break any before my trips. It can be so difficult especially if I have to fix things around the house. I also play hockey every week all year long and that is really a hard time not to break a nail. I have to be very careful when tying my skate laces and then once I put my hockey gloves who knows what they will come out like, paticularly my left hand because that is the hand I have further down the shaft of the stick and when I shoot my fingernails are pushed back when they are long.

No one has ever noticed or has commented except my wife. She thinks I should keep them short because it is a give-away to my hidden self.

I trim my nails down after I take off the nailpolish the evenings of my outings.

I do like having long nails though.

Regarding hair. The less I have the better I feel, except on my head. I shave my underarms and have my legs, chest and back waxed. I am the only male client for waxing the girl has. I told her that I have never liked body hair and finally decided to do something about it. This true but not the whole story.

Bonnie

SiobhanW
01-02-2008, 05:23 PM
New excuse for longer than average nails on a guy - I now play classical/flamenco acoustic guitar :heehee::

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-664850.html

(check out the pictures in post #4)

christina marie
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
most crap i ever get about my nails is from wife, but then she cant grow them ,so i think she might be a tad jealous. my daughter and i both grow long thick nails no problem. i do keep mine buffed to a glass shine, so they might be a tad too obvious. one of the guys in hunting camp was teasing me about my"lee press-on nails" last week, told him maybe if you had some, you could take deer apart as fast as i can. nothing more said...

Jodi
01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
most crap i ever get about my nails is from wife, but then she cant grow them ,so i think she might be a tad jealous. my daughter and i both grow long thick nails no problem. i do keep mine buffed to a glass shine, so they might be a tad too obvious. one of the guys in hunting camp was teasing me about my"lee press-on nails" last week, told him maybe if you had some, you could take deer apart as fast as i can. nothing more said...

Christina, Think about this--How does your hunting buddy know about "Lee press-on nails"?

Jodi

JenniferR771
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Ghost Riders--I can't hear anything--interesting comments tho--Oh Wait--I had the sound all the way off on my speakers. Great song, love the guitar. So I listened to three more.

androgyne
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
One of our engineers from San Jose, CA gets a good look at my nails - longer than most men would tolerate and painted with clear polish. Apparently he had never noticed this before because he gives me this real odd look and says "Wow, you really have that whole Metro Sexual thing going don't you?" I trotted out my usual excuse - "Nah, these are just my guitar picks!"

I'd say it's rather unusual for a man to notice another guy with clear coated nails, unless he's attracted to them.

StayceeCD
01-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Nice Job Kimberly! :thumbsup: I'm a professional musician myself. I'll actually be on national TV sometime this week! Not saying when, and who with though! You girls will have to keep flipping channels if you want to know! :heehee: Wish I could use the "guitarist excuse" myself but I'm not and unfortunately can't play with long fingernails. :sad: Keep up with the guitar pic comment!

Why yes, yes I do play guitar. In fact I'm almost as obssesed with it as with crossdressing. Here is a song I put together on my little home recording studio (Multitracker). This little toy lets one person play all of the parts of a song so every instrument you here is played by . . . me! lol

Ghost Riders in the Sky (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaHBTo-UnO8)

Fortunately just about everyone at my company that knows me is well aware of my music hobby. I used to travel with my guitar everywhere I went until a very expensive guitar was destroyed on a training trip much like the one I just completed. It was a big deal with me when it happened and I skipped out of that training class to raise hell with United Airlines about. The guys are still picking on me over it.
"Hey you didn't bring your good guitar this time did ya'?" or before training starts "Do you need time to call United Airlines?"
GRRRR! lol

CathyKR
01-03-2008, 02:16 AM
New excuse for longer than average nails on a guy - I now play classical/flamenco acoustic guitar...

The trouble is, guitarists have to keep the fingernails on their fretting hand (usually left hand) short. I'm sometimes asked by strangers whether I play guitar, but then I point out that they're long on BOTH hands!

As an aside, I knew a guy at school who played guitar. He wore all the nails on his right (picking) hand very long - including thumb and pinky, which he didn't need to have long (he used a thumb-pick, and the pinky is rarely used as a picking finger, if ever) - and also the thumbnail on his left hand was very long. He therefore kept the minimum number of his nails short (i.e. the four fingernails on his left hand) and the maximum number long, rather than the minimum number long in order to play, if you see what I mean! The point is, if he hadn't played guitar, I reckon he would have grown all his nails long. He was the envy of a lot of girls who couldn't grow theirs long. I never got the oppportunity to ask him if he dressed.

StayceeCD
01-03-2008, 02:40 AM
The trouble is, guitarists have to keep the fingernails on their fretting hand (usually left hand) short. I'm sometimes asked by strangers whether I play guitar, but then I point out that they're long on BOTH hands!

True, but most people do not know this! Also, even musicians know different guitarists have different techniques! If a guitarist had long nails on his fretting hand I would think it odd, but not unlikely that he has a different style. Of course I would look for other signs of being CD and want to start a band!! :D

Glenda58
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Kim don't worry about it many CEOs get their nails done also. I still do my nails in clear even though I stop dressing months ago. It keeps them from breaking.

Jessika Paige
01-04-2008, 04:20 AM
i had one girl at work ask if they were painted clear. i wryly smiled and replied "no, they're just buffed". She then said they looked nice, took a piece of candy from the jar on my desk and went back to hers.

Vickygogirl
01-04-2008, 06:11 AM
I have to keep mine quite short, im an electrician and find they are always breaking with the heavy work..:mad:
Working in a nissan car plant a few weeks ago and noticed i still had traces of bright pink nail varnish on a nail....had to go to the toilet with a screwdriver and try to scrape it off before my workmates noticed...:heehee:

Megan (VA)
02-02-2008, 09:23 PM
It seems to me that the men people today label as "metrosexual" were once called "gentlemen." They are / were men of good taste, style and refinement and they were appreciated, not looked down upon. Think Fred Astaire, the Duke of Windsor and Cary Grant. I find it a shame that standards of public appearance have declined so much that being well groomed and well dressed can be seen as a negative quality in a man. I also feel that men who do see it as a negative are in reality threatened by other men who are well put together.

As far as nails go, long nails just aren't practical around a barn, so I don't have them. I keep mine in a short, "sport manicure" with a clear polish. People at work have commented but it has all been complimentary. Women at work ask to borrow my nail file on occasion. But then, I am basically out at work, which is a luxury I appreciate.

For people who don't have that luxury you might consider replying to questions by saying "I have to shake a lot of hands in this job and want to make a good impression." But keep in mind for this to fly you'll have to seem as if you are working on making a good impression with other parts of your appearance as well. If you want to throw some sass you can respond to snide comments by asking the commenter if they would like you to give them the name of your manicurist.

Cherry Lynn
02-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I had a fellow employee make a comment about my long girlie nails once.
I just picked up a roll of electrical tape and tossed it to him. Then told him, you have a hot wire in your right hand, start the tape off the roll so you can insulate and isolate it.
Nothing more was ever said about my long girlie nails.

I love it. I am an electrician and really appreciate my nails when trying to get tape off the roll or off wire.

JoAnnDallas
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I have long acrylic nails for over 2 years now. I have got where I can even type on the keyboard with them. LOL I got mine because, I can not normally grow long nails. If they got anywhere close to being long, they would split down the center, crack, break, and I ususally end up peeling them off. Sometimes they would peel down into the wik and then end up bleeding some. So one day I was at my nail salon and had my tech do a full acrylic nail set on me. No more problems with my nails and one time let them get almost an inch past my tips. WIfe did not care for them being that long, but wll allow me to have them about 1/4" past my tips. I always polish them too. I use Sally Handson's #09 "Cotton Candy". It is a subdue PINK color.
I also get my toes polished, usually a Bright RED.