PDA

View Full Version : Two spirit people - a children story

Sejd
11-11-2007, 01:09 AM
“Two Spirit People”
By: Sejd

Many years ago, before your mom or dad was born, there were no humans. On the grass lands of America, only the Buffalo roamed, and in the Rocky Mountains, the Eagle soared.

*Over the land and across the mountains, the Great Spirit roamed freely. It was the caretaker of the earth and the animals. It made sure there was rain for the plants, sun for the flowers and honey for the bees.

One day, those many years ago, something strange happened. The “Great Spirit “ who created everything we know, had gotten the idea, that the world needed yet another being. A kind of animal who would have creative powers, but not as smart as the Great Spirit itself. So the Spirit brought forth people from deep within the earth.
Out of a hole in the earth, the two people climbed out and looked around them. One was very hairy and had big muscles. The other person was a bit smaller, with soft curves and shinny hair.
The person with the beard and the big muscles said: I am going to take this land for my own and call it “My Land”. The person with the long hair and soft curved body looked a bit surprised about that statement, but said: I am going to make this a beautiful land.”

You guessed it! it was a big boy and a big girl.

Pretty soon the new people started to build themselves a house and start a family. Their children grew up and so on and so forth, and soon there were many people living in the world.

The “Great Spirit” watched them carefully and saw how the people a lot of times did not get along. The big girls, who had now become, mothers would tell the boys who had now become fathers. that they were all wrong, and the fathers would tell the mothers that they didn’t understand anything.

Listening to what they were arguing about, The “Great Spirit” thought to itself.
“Hmmm - Maybe there should be a third kind of people on the earth. The kind of people who can make peace and bring about understanding.”

That same day, a third kind of person came out of the hole in the earth. This person looked kind of different. It looked like he was a boy, but his body was kind of small, and he had long beautiful hair and clothes which looked like the dresses the girls often wears.

I will call this person “Two spirit” because it is not a boy, and not a girl, but something very special. The “Great spirit” said and continued: This “Two Spirit “ person, of which I will make only very few, will have the ability to understand both sides of human beings, the male and the female, and that’s how they will teach everyone to live in peace and understanding with each other.

The “Two spirit “ people had very special gifts indeed. These people could be boys, but feel like they were girls, or they could be girls who felt like they were boys. Because they had both boys or girls gifts, they looked different than the other people who already populated the planet. The Two Spirit girls for example, would dress like they were boys, but they were actually girls.

(picture of a young girl)
Do you think this is a boy or a girl?

The Two Spirit boys, would dress and look like girls, but they were actually boys. Because they could be in both girls and boys worlds at the same time, they had a very deep understanding of how to help other people get along.

Because they were peacemakers, people in general thought that “Two Spirit” people were pretty cool. When someone wanted to get married, they would call a Two Spirit being to take care of the ceremony. If someone got sick, who do you think they would call to come and sit by the sick person? You guessed it, they would call a “Two Spirit” person. That’s how it happened that very early on in our history, the “Two Spirit” people would be recognized as someone special.

Sometimes it may happen that you see a person in the Grocery store, or on the street who look somehow different. Maybe it is a woman who look very much like a man or a man who looks like a woman.

Now you know that they are just “Two Spirit” people who are out doing what they do best, making other people happy, helping us all to get along just a little bit better. Two Spirit people help us understand that it is not so important if you are born a boy or a girl, but it is important what you do with your life.

Today, most people have lost the memory about the word “Two Spirit”, and today, you may sometime hear the name “Trans-Gender” which is a name for a person who is switching from being a boy to being a girl, or the other way around. Sometimes it happens that people make fun of “Two Spirit” people, just because they are different.

I hope, now that I have told you a little about why they are among us, that when you see a person who you think is a Two Spirit being, you will not laugh or feel like you need to make fun of them, but understand that they are just people like you and me, but with very special gifts.

DanielMacBride
11-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi Sejd,
What a great story! :) If it's ok with you, can I post this to another forum I belong to to help explain being trans? :)

Daniel

Kate Simmons
11-11-2007, 07:27 AM
A beautiful story Sejd and much appreciated by those who are two spirited. Knowing and understanding this gift is what truely binds everything together the way things were meant to be.:happy:

Lora Olivia
11-11-2007, 08:25 AM
How truly insightful this beautiful little story is. When I look at it in my own perspective I think about how "we" have always tried to be the mediator in disputes or the caring one to sit by the bedside. Kudo's "two spirit" one.:hugs:

Sage GG
11-11-2007, 01:02 PM
very nice story

Tobie
11-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I love this story, thank you!

Scotty
11-11-2007, 02:44 PM
They were also often used as Ambassadors to other tribes.

Two spirited people are always interesting reads!! :)

I'd like to find a symbol that represents them but to date no tribe has had one.

Sejd
11-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks girls
Yes, anyone can use my story to post or use in other spaces. I wrote it specifically to help other people understand what we are about. But if you do use it, I ask that you put my name on it since I wrote it. thanks.
hugs to all
Sejd

SirTrey
11-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Hey Sejd.....Very good story....you are obviously a very talented writer, and that's a very good thing....We could use a literary ambassador to help raise awareness of transgenderism/transsexualism....Good job! **Trey**

Maggie Kay
11-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I too enjoyed this story very much. We do need more written material like this to help not only the world understand but ourselves.

Thanks for posting it.