PDA

View Full Version : Acorn

Calliope
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
As of today, Twin Oaks has officially accepted me as a member.

I've spent the last 10 days away (input period) at Acorn, a tiny sister egalitarian community some 22 miles from Twin Oaks. A small rural outpost of some 20 individuals and three farmhouses, specializing in organic heirloom seed growing, it's wild Virginia. A million stars at night, piercing blue skies by day. The community, compared to Twin Oaks, is downhome funkier - recycling has piled up like crabgrass, ramshackle buildings slope like sunflowers; there are few signs of pomp (O&I papers, collective quilts, even labor sheets) - yet, the neopsychedelic hand-lettered signs (such as "Be Nourished") throughout the farm assure it is unmistakably kin.

The relaxed farm family vibe at Acorn has made an easier introduction to trans for this community; there's no gender drama at all. Unlike Twin Oaks, there's no Hedwig playing everytime I'm in the kitchen, or someone presenting me with a 'gift' of Barbie merchandise, or receiving icy comments about my attire. It's more natural at Acorn - all the folks here are really friendly.

I've been farming - planting garlic, harvesting potatoes and peanuts, seeding red asparagus, processing peppers and whatnot. Plus I'm doing my share to keep the kitchen humming; I even made lunch for the community today (without mishap). Working approximately eight hours a day, I'm over quota (6 hours a day to make 42 per week) without much hassle. With the colder weather discouraging long country walks, there's few distractions from work, really. Plus, I can see the results of my labor here, the scale is that small, whereas at Twin Oaks whatever is done by one communard becomes an invisible drop in the bustle. It's great to make a difference, to be so visibly contributing. I feel more confident.

I actually like Acorn better!

So - at the weekly check in, I asked to be considered for Acorn membership. Knowing Acorn is presently at "gender cap" (specifically, not accepting at any more men), I produced my California ID, in which I am legally considered a woman. It will perhaps be interesting to see where that goes. Either way, now (after so very long) I know I have a home.

Cara Allen
11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Based on your last post about Twin Oaks, they sounded stuffy, and undeserving of your dedication.

Besides... "Be Nourished" is a terrific line.

melissaK
11-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Been wondering about your sojourn. Nice to hear the new chapter in your life has promise.

At least I have some envy for where you have landed. I'm a farmer from way back, I even have a BS degree in botany. My life took a few turns and I havn't been on a farm for nearly 30 years now. There are times I dearly miss it, especially watching dawn arrive upon the fields. I still think it's one of the most rewarding professions there is. But we can only do so many things with our life, and then we are out of time.

Hugs,
'lissa

Stephenie S
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
This is good news indeed. Back on the right side of the country where you belong. I was sorry to think we had lost you to the west coast.

Stephie

Paula G
11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Congratulations on getting in to Twin Oaks! Glad to hear that things are starting to go your way. Will keep my fingers crossed for you getting in Acorn.

LilahCD
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
It's good to hear you've found a place where you fit in and can be happy, without being judged or having to deal with unnecessary political BS. You give hope to the rest of us... :hugs:

Maggie Kay
11-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Calliope,
Wonderful news, I am so glad that you have found a home.

Calliope
11-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Reporting live from Twin Oaks, my new home. I wasn't up for another membership 'process' (with Acorn), so I took the bird in hand. I'm glad! And relieved! Such a warm welcome from so many people greeted my return here (what's 3 sourpusses out of 80?). I love my cozy little room (in the courtyard where the original 60's-era houses were built - hammock shop, etc.)! Making hammocks, making dinner, making friendships. (I'm finally free of my ex-spouse!) I've already been tagged as a good candidate for co-manager of 'commie clothes' (the communal clothes 'boutique') and, extrapolating so fast from M to F sizes, why not? I know I'll have my ups and downs in community, but here I can do satisfying work and have safety and security. Not bad at all! Thanks to all here for the warm support.

melissaK
11-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Wow. I am vey happy for you. Really big hugs!
'lissa