PDA

View Full Version : I came out to my Dad!

battybattybats
11-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Another coming out...
Big one this time.
I came out to my Dad!

I told my girlfriend things had just gone on too long with no headway on a panoply of problems yesterday. Today she replied to an email from my Dad and his wife that I had dumped her so he called me to see if I was ok.

My Dad and his wife got on very well with my girlfriend so I thought he deserved a full explanation of why I ended things. I spoke about each of the issues in turn and how they were all at an impasse, leaving the dressing for last.

I was really worried about telling my dad I crossdressed as, while he is generally quite accepting I knew he had problems with homosexuality, not that he was substantially homophobic as such but rather that he was really quite squeemish when it comes to public displays of homosexual affections. Some episodes of Torchwood for example had him squirming. Now I know that crossdressing doesn't mean gay but I wasn't sure he did or how he'd react.

And what was his response?

An instantaneously and thoroughly enthusiastic "Good on Ya!"
He almost shouted it down the phone! I'm still in a state of shock but he was 100% supportive!

He was also really supportive of me with the break-up while remaining neutral and non-judgemental towards my girlfriend to his credit.

It couldn't have been a better response.

carie
11-13-2007, 06:21 AM
congrats ! good for you ! wish my dad a supportive type .:sad:

charllote34
11-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Hey i am very happy for you and glad that went well with your dad ,.ha ha that John Barrowman makes me cover my eyes sometime to !!!

CharleneCD
11-13-2007, 07:26 AM
With every cloudy day comes a ray of sunshine. I am glad things went so well with your dad. They can always be the hardest to tell.

Veronica E. Scott
11-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Im happy for you with respect to your farther and sorry for your breakup with your girlfriend. best of luck with your future plans ,may you find happiness in what ever you do.

Girly Sara
11-13-2007, 09:10 AM
That's great news, hun! Well done!!! xxxx

tommi
11-13-2007, 11:15 AM
One of the last people I could come out to is my father.
Congrats it could not have been easy.

Ðarissa
11-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Hay thats one cool Dad you have there! I'm glad he didn't freak out on you.

Angie G
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm glad to hear you dad is OK with your dressing hun :hugs:
Angie

feminineandproud
11-13-2007, 02:53 PM
my dad will never be that supportive and i know it

Brianna Lovely
11-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I came out to my Dad!

He almost shouted it down the phone! I'm still in a state of shock but he was 100% supportive!

What a wonderful thing to hear from your Dad!

It's always difficult to tell our parents, I only wish I had the opportunity to tell my Dad, but he passed away, before I had fully accepted my own feelings.

Ruth
11-13-2007, 04:02 PM
That was a great reaction from your Dad and I am sure he will be a marvellous support for you in future. I may be wrong but I get the idea that CDing is more accepted in Australia than in many other nations (that great film Priscilla Queen of the Desert springs to mind).

desireehelene
11-13-2007, 04:12 PM
To repeat the quote of the great man himself "Good on ya'"

battybattybats
11-13-2007, 04:58 PM
He and mum split up when I was four going on five and he was quite absent for most of the time after that and when he did show up he was pretty selfish, broke a lot of promises and gave me a lot of reason to be resentful.

Still when he got back in contact a number of years ago I gave him another chance, believing that everyone deserves a chance to make up for past wrongs and we have gotten on quite well since then. With us both sharing a lot of interests and clearly trying to make what time we have as meaningful as possible.

I tell you this does indeed make up for a lot of that.

When I see him next he is getting such a hug!

SherriePall
11-13-2007, 06:41 PM
What a wonderful thing for him to say. I'm glad things turned out well for you.

flatlander_48
11-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Another coming out...
Big one this time.
I came out to my Dad!

I told my girlfriend things had just gone on too long with no headway on a panoply of problems yesterday. Today she replied to an email from my Dad and his wife that I had dumped her so he called me to see if I was ok.

My Dad and his wife got on very well with my girlfriend so I thought he deserved a full explanation of why I ended things. I spoke about each of the issues in turn and how they were all at an impasse, leaving the dressing for last.

I was really worried about telling my dad I crossdressed as, while he is generally quite accepting I knew he had problems with homosexuality, not that he was substantially homophobic as such but rather that he was really quite squeemish when it comes to public displays of homosexual affections. Some episodes of Torchwood for example had him squirming. Now I know that crossdressing doesn't mean gay but I wasn't sure he did or how he'd react.

He was also really supportive of me with the break-up while remaining neutral and non-judgemental towards my girlfriend to his credit.

It couldn't have been a better response.

It's a brave one, you are...

Di
11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
How wonderful!!:hugs:

TxKimberly
11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Way cool! Aint it great when your loved ones turn out to be all right?

Marlena-4now
11-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Batty, I am really glad to hear you have made the break with your significant other. It surely seemed from the outside looking in that you two were stuck in a no win situation. She appeared very unyielding, non-empathetic and not interested in considering opening her mind or trying to understand.

Given all that, I know it was extremely hard for you to give up on your relationship as you strike me as a problem solver and negotiator. Anyhow, for what it's worth, I think you have absolutely done the best thing and can now look forward to beginning a more honest and free existence without the recriminations, theatrics and emotional blackmail she has put you through in the past. A brighter day is dawning !

Oh, and your Dad absolutely ROCKS!

pamela_a
11-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Great for you batty. It's wonderful to hear you not only got back together with your dad and have been able to get closer but also he loves you enough to support you.

Kudos to your dad.

-Paula-

battybattybats
11-14-2007, 02:30 AM
Batty, I am really glad to hear you have made the break with your significant other. It surely seemed from the outside looking in that you two were stuck in a no win situation. She appeared very unyielding, non-empathetic and not interested in considering opening her mind or trying to understand.

You've summed it up quite well.

Given all that, I know it was extremely hard for you to give up on your relationship as you strike me as a problem solver and negotiator.

Indeed. And far too nice for my own good as well.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, I think you have absolutely done the best thing and can now look forward to beginning a more honest and free existence without the recriminations, theatrics and emotional blackmail she has put you through in the past. A brighter day is dawning !

Oh, and your Dad absolutely ROCKS!

:) I'll have to find something really special for him for christmas that's for sure!

trannie T
11-14-2007, 03:29 AM
Good on ya! And good on yer dad!

Wendy me
11-14-2007, 04:03 AM
wow that went well ....i am happy for you big time.......