PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on using public toilet/washroom

Snigdha
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi,

When I go out dressed in felmale clothing and at that time if I need to go to a toilet/washroom then which one should I go Male one or female one?

Usually I go around at night time say 10.30 to 12.00 am. My body look is not that femine but I use wigs and light make up and full clothing but still anyone can understand that I am a man.

Need your advice.:happy:

nikki_t
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Is there only me that thinks there should be a sticky for this topic?

Anyways, to answer your question... generally you would use the bathroom of the gender you're presenting as. However, from what you say in your post is that people know you are male. This could be problematic no matter which bathroom you use - I'm talking about your personal safety as well as the risk of getting the police called or whatever.

In your case I would recommend trying to use bathrooms in places where it's a closed bathroom. Starbucks and places like that have closed bathrooms where only one person can go in at once (eg. only one stall and a lock on the main bathroom door).

The other alternative is to use a genderless family bathroom like those found in many supermarkets where parents can change or take their little kids.

Kieron Andrew
11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
dress as female use the ladies....ie use the bathroom relevent to the gender you are presenting

Nicole Erin
11-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Well if you are en femme and use the men's room, it will more likely bring attention.
If you go to the ladies room, it is less likely to draw attention. It is best to use the restroom in a place you will not be hanging out long.

So kind of wait and see if the women's rom is clear, go in, take care of business. BUT do not hover around the ladies room too long or you may seem creepy.

And of course, do not stand to pee.

SweetCaroline
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
It may also depend largely on where you are. I've been around gay night clubs and there I always use the ladies room, tho I've also been to one club on Lesbian night, walked into the ladies room, saw a line, and said, "hey... wait a minute," and used the men's room which was deserted. LOL!

In the mall, during day time, I used the man's room, but I used the one in the quite part of the mall rather than the one in the busy part by the food court, and was the only one in there. Some places these days do have family, or unisex restrooms. Be also on the look-out for single occupancy restrooms (restrooms you can lock from the inside). I think the main thing is to know your surroundings, even talk to management, they can be surprisingly helpful (but then again, I'm in Massachusetts, and we do have a large GLBT presence here).

Good luck.

Jilmac
11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
someone wrote to dear abby with this question a while back. her answer was to use the gender specific bathroom for the gender you are presenting, but also be aware of the privacy of others. most public toilets have lockable stalls which help to insure privacy. always sit in the ladies room so as not to arouse suspision, and leave as soon as possible. PS from Jill, be aware of local, state, or provincial laws. it can be downright embarrassing to explain your intentions to a cop.

JoAnnDallas
11-15-2007, 09:58 AM
I looked up what the regulations were concerning this issue for City of Dallas and Dallas County. Both have regulations that permit us to use the ladies room. Both regulations include "Gender presentation".