PDA

View Full Version : Bravery Squared

marika_jaye
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
So here's the story, very quickly:

I've had enough of hiding my crossdressing. I'm out to my family and they're really the only people whose opinions affect me. My neighbors, friends and even a coworker or two has "caught" me in one way or another over the past year or so, so I'm not really worried anymore, or so I thought...

Today my plan was to get halfway "girled up" and stroll into Walgreen's to take advantage of (what else) a hosiery sale they're holding this week. I got in the truck, drove to the store and sat there...until my wife called and I had to go meet her. At this point I have 30 minutes to get my son fed and meet his teachers at his school for parent-teacher conferences (what fun!). Damn!! Back on with the pants...for now.

Fast forward an hour. The conferences are done and I'm back in the truck with my son. We pull into a parking lot and my son turns away while I change back into my slip/skirt. BTW my son is totally awesome about all this...at 14 he's got a more open mind than his mother. Anyway, back in my skirt, I boogie to the Walgreens on the way home from the school, where I proceed to sit...again. I have to go to bed very soon, so I know there is no time for this. I gather up my courage and step out of the truck, past the bell ringer and into the BLINDING openness of the store. I am immediately "made" by the 2 gorgeous young ladies at the makeup counter...I just smile and exchange pleasantries...what else is there to do?

I proceed to the hosiery section, choose 2 packages (they're a size smaller than I usually buy, but I came here to buy pantyhose, so by God I'm leaving this store with some pantyhose!) On the way back to the counter I notice that all Rimmel cosmetics are 2 for 1 so I pick up a couple lipsticks and head to the checkout. The kid at the checkout was in the photo lab helping someone with their photos, so here I am, about as subtle as a bearded lady, standing at the checkout counter when I hear the kid (behind me) inform me that I'm at the wrong counter. I quickly grab my goodies and set them before the kid, whose eyes I can't bring myself to look into. He rings me up, I swipe my credit card, ipso facto, I'm past the bell ringer and back in the truck, none the worse for wear. Whew!

Ohh...and why did I name this thread "Bravery Squared?" Not only was this my first venture out into the "normal" world in an obviously non-gender-congruent outfit, but these are also the first pics I've ever posted of myself on this forum. :heehee:

Anyway, this is exactly how I was dressed at the Walgreens store. What do y'all think? Was I brave? Maybe a bit stupid? Both? Hehehe

http://www.truckerama.com/reimages/100_1436.jpghttp://www.truckerama.com/reimages/100_1437.jpg
http://www.truckerama.com/reimages/100_1438.jpg

Teresa Amina
11-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Well, cool! You're halfway there, next time fully dressed! :thumbsup: And it's good to see the face behind the name :hugs:

Karren H
11-15-2007, 01:25 PM
That's great!! Love the outfit and I'm happy you didn't get sucked into the world of "fem jeans". Hahaha. When people say I'm brave for going out in public my reply has always been.... Bravery or stupidity.. Don't really know which one yet.. And there's probably a fine line between the two.. Lol

shannonsilk
11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
that's really great. I don't think I've ever worn a skirt into Walgreens. I'm willing to say that you were brave. Yeah--why not? haha.
My first femme outing was to walgreens. You are a lot more visible there than many other places.

Ðarissa
11-15-2007, 02:15 PM
That's a interesting, inspirational story. Id say you were brave and a cool customer. ;) :D

Butterfly Bill
11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
This about how I did it, except with me it was starting out with knit pants and skorts. The first time with a skirt was at an outdoor arts festival attended by lot of hippies and arty types. It was ten years from the first steps to dresses,

feminineandproud
11-15-2007, 05:02 PM
If u added pumps you would still be half female lol and would of looked better... it takes alot of courage to go out into public with full man clothing accept skirt :p talk about brave

Joy Carter
11-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Miss Darra, I think other than the skirt, you look like allot of GG's I see in my side of town. :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=shannonsilk;1083075My first femme outing was to Walgreen's.

There has got be something with Walgreen's. Because I think that was the first public place I was in dressed.

Brianna Lovely
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Darrah, I think you were brave and think you look fine. I do hope you get to venture out some more. Just be yourself and enjoy.

Julogden
11-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I vote for "Brave".

That's what we all need to start doing, but as you know, it's hard to do. I haven't had the nerve to do that, even though I know it's a good thing.

Good job!
Carol

anna36b
11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
reminds me---I need some more pantyhose :heehee:

Nicole Erin
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Walgreen's seems a popular store for some cd.

I don't mind the place, but their hosiery is not my favorite.

trannie T
11-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I've been in Walgreen's dressed too. Is the attraction for many of us the fact that they're open late hours?

Paula Wilder
11-16-2007, 12:03 AM
My first time was to a 7-11 for a drink refill with just a bra and breast forms under all my male clothes. I was prepared to answer "gynocomastia" (spelling?) but they didn't care. After that, it was easier each time, so keep up the step-by-step and before long - who knows!

Hugs,

Paula

Joann0830
11-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Darrah, I think you were brave and think you look fine. I do hope you get to venture out some more. Just be yourself and enjoy who you really are. You are also inspirational to others, While you were there you should have had the ladies help you with alittle makeup, You look fine in the photos but take full advantage "Carpe Diem" Latin for Seize the Day. BTW you look like a Mom running into a store after picking up their child at school. Joann:heehee::love::cheer::cheers::cheer::cheers:

marika_jaye
11-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Thank you ALL for your overwhelmingly supportive comments! I'm flattered by all the warmth and love from everyone, even those I've had differences with in the past. I'm truly blessed to have such wonderful friends as you!:hugs:

While you were there you should have had the ladies help you with alittle makeup, You look fine in the photos but take full advantage "Carpe Diem" Latin for Seize the Day. BTW you look like a Mom running into a store after picking up their child at school. Joann:heehee::love::cheer::cheers::cheer::cheers:

Thanks, Joann. I think my whole plan was to go out into the world dressed any old way I please without the pressure of trying to pass (as you can see from my pics, I'm a VERY long way from passing...hehe). :heehee: At this juncture, I just wanted to be a guy in a skirt (think baby steps), and basically prove to myself that there wouldn't be a negative reaction or indeed any real reaction at all.

I've found that one of the more popular sayings I read on this site is 100% true...now that I've been out, I want to go out MORE!

carolinewalker_2000
11-17-2007, 01:48 AM
"Bravery" will be different for each of us. I am in AWE of what you did; congratulations.

vivianann
11-17-2007, 02:47 AM
I have never been to walgreens enfemme, I will need to go there enfemme.
I go to rite aid enfemme all the time, when I am in murray utah, they are very accepting there, I feel very comfortable when I go there, they had pantyhose on sale this week there too, buy1 and get the next one free for leggs brand pantyhose. I bought 4 pair. anyway the ladies there know me as Vivian and we talk sometimes. Now that you have gone out in a skirt you are going to want to go out more "YOU ARE HOOKED":D