PDA

View Full Version : Office Girls

JoAnnDallas
11-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Yesterday was our annual office Thanksgiving luncheon. You all know the type of luncheon, where the company buys the Turkey and all the employees bring dishes. My dish was home made Tamales. A lot of companies have what I call the “Office Girls”. These are the ladies that you see that are the ones that setup and run office parties, get the breakfast treats, coffee, lunches, and such for conferences and meetings. There are usually anywhere from 2-4 of these ladies. They usually are good friends. In our company these are Stephanie, Vanessa, Beverly, and Carolyn. Steph calls me and tells me that there is a free Crot-Pot that I can heat my tamales in. So I come to the lunchroom and fill up the Crot-Pot and get it heating. I then ask the ladies if they need any help. Bev says, “Yes we could use some help”. So I start helping them get things organized.

This is where it starts getting interesting. I am heating some food in the microwave when Steph notices my nails.

STEPH: Is that nail polish on your hands
ME: Yep, why?
STEPH: It looks great on you, what brand is it? (she’s holding my hand and looking at my nails)
ME: It’s Sally Handsones “Cotton Candy”
STEPH: Nice color, but you need a fill, sweetie
ME: Ya, I know
BEV: What are you two talking about?
STEPH: I was commenting on JO… choose of nail color

Bev’s walks over and takes my hand and looks at my nails. Steph fills in Bev on our conversations.

BEV: That is a good color for you. Did you do them or do you have them done.
ME: I have them done; I go to my Nail Salon once a month.
BEV: Have you ever had a pedicure?
ME: Yep, once a month a get a pedicure/manicure/fill. My nail tech says the nail polish makes my hands look better.

Now Vanessa sees us and walks over asking what’s going on. So she is brought up to date and now she is holding and looking at my hands.

VANESSA: You really get a Pedicure?
ME: Yep, Why? A guy can’t get a pedicure?
VANESSA: No, I’m just surprised that you get them. I wish my husband would get one his feet look gross sometimes. (Laughter all around)

Now Carolyn hears the laughter and walks over. So now she gets filled in on what is going on.

CAROLYN: If you get a pedicure, do you also get your toes polished?

Now all four are looking at me with this whimsical look.
ME: (Deep breath) Yes.

Giggles all around

STEPH: What color are your toes right now?
ME: Bright Sparkly Red.
BEV: Can we see?

I get this surprised look on my face.

BEV: Relax it’s just us girls here.

BEV: “Steph go close and lock the door.” Steph goes over and locks the lunchroom door.
VANESSA: OK off with the shoes. Lets see your toes?

So being kinda stuck, I take off one shoe/sock and put my foot on the counter. All four are looking closely at my toes.

CAROLYN: That is a nice color, what brand is it?
ME: Don’t know, it’s from the Nail Salon Stock.
BEV: What is the name of you Nail Salon?

So I tell them as I am putting my sock and shoe back on. Carolyn opens the door at the same time another male co-worker walks in.

CO-WORKER: What’s going on in here?
ME: Just getting everything ready to eat.
CO_WORKER: So what are you doing in here?
ME: Helping
VANESSA: Get out of here until we get everything ready. Now shoo.

Co-worker leaves

BEV: Men can be so rude sometimes.

Then the PA system goes off and I am being paged to come to the Lab. So I excuse myself and leave. Later I hear the luncheon announcement and make my way to the lunchroom. As I walk in BEV waves at me and motions that when I get my food to come over and sit with them. I get my food, go over and sit down at their table. They are talking office gossip and STEPH looks at me and said, “BTW, the Nov birthday party is next week, want to help us?” I answered; “OK” We continue to talk and most of the other people now have left, so I get up and help the girls clean up the lunchroom and then go back to work.

As I walk in this morning, I pass BEV, STEPH, and CAROLYN and they all greet me with, “Morning Sweetie”. I respond with “Morning Ladies”. I am now one of the Office Girls.

pamela_a
11-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Great for you Jo. It looks like we may have a trend starting to develop. Between you and Mirani perhaps things in the office may be looking up.

-Paula-

suzanne
11-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Congrats! It's way, way cool to get accepted like that!

So, how long before you start showing them your femme clothes?

jenniferj
11-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Over the past decade or so, I have found the "office girls" concept increasingly offensive - The fact that the guys just expect that the parties will be done for them and that they can just go back to work and "the girls" will clean up. It might have been forgiveable back in the days where most offices consist of clerical women and professional guys whose time was much more valuable, but that situation no longer prevails.

So in my manliest of manly manner have made an obvious effort to assist, hoping to shame the other guys into it. Not much luck. The "office girls are surprised and pleased that I know my way around the kitchen(ette) (They love my trick for neatly filling a pepper mill) and make a big fuss over me. But they don't know that deep down I wish I were one of them.

Now I work from a home office most of the time and make my own parties...

So a little more of your "secret" is out, and they seem to love it (and you). Enjoy!

-jj

Ðarissa
11-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Cool story JoAnn! Those girls are awesome.... gotta like nice stories like this. :D

joann07
11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Woo hoo! :dance:
You go JoAnn.
I would love to do that one day.
Congrats on becoming one of the "Office Girls". :)

Hugs!

SherriePall
11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
JoAnn -- Wow. And you showed them your pedicure, too? I don't know how many times I have refused to take off my shoes and socks. Good for you. Enjoy. Does your office have a Halloween party? That could be something for you and the girls to look forward to.

carolinewalker_2000
11-15-2007, 02:20 PM
It's really nice to read positive stories like yours. Thanks for sharing.

Shelly Preston
11-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Wow - thats what I call a real good ending to a situation which could have went wrong

Please keep us informed on what happens next :)

Alice B
11-15-2007, 02:53 PM
I think that is a great story and a situation that you handled very well. We could use more stories like that to share.:hugs:

Melissa Davis
11-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Very Cool JoAnn! Do keep us posted... :happy:

JoAnnDallas
11-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I walk into the lunchroom at noon to heat up my TV dinner, when I hear, "JO...". I look over there is Bev, Vanessa, and Steph and they are waving me over. So when the microwave dings, I take my dinner over and sit down with them. First thing they all said was "Thanks for helping yesterday". I said, "No problem, I enjoyed it". So for the rest of the lunch, we chit chat about various things. Then on way out, one of my male co-workers asked me, "How come you get to sit with three of the prettest girls in the building?" I just looked at him and said, "I have my ways". I smiled and walked off. All four of these ladies could be models. In fact two of them are Gulf War I vets. LOL

LindaTS
11-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Great story JoAnn,
I wish the ladies around here in central NY would react like that. Most of them around here give me dirty looks when then see my long, shaped nails. And some of them can really give out with those looks.

feminineandproud
11-15-2007, 04:38 PM
wow notice how she said guyscan be so rude so she must have treated you like a ladie. It must feel so good

Wenda
11-15-2007, 08:10 PM
That's as good as it gets. Well done. Congratulations! w. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sinthia
11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
JoAnn . . . That is the nicest post that I have ever read. You are very lucky to have women workers that accept you like that and include you in their lives at work. I am envious.

CharleneCD
11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Some of us have all the luck. Way to go JoAnn

Delilah
11-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, JoAnn, great story indeed. Looks like the Office Girls have accepted you in their group. Where I work, it is just guys.

Delilah

Jaquelyn
11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Ha! Not only do have four new freinds at work, but you got the guys jealous all at the same time? That's awesome. Do tread carefully Joann, as this is work, you might not want to be outed completely. Just make sure to protect yourself.

ColleenCD
11-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Joann,

That story rocks!, Well done. I hope you enjoy the new friendships and I'm sure the stories we'll read are just starting.

Colleen

Phoebe Reece
11-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Congratulations JoAnn! That is a great story. It just goes to show that good things can happen from just honestly being yourself.

Susan.
11-16-2007, 01:23 AM
What you did sounds like one of my many fantasies. Congratulations on being one of the girls. I've sort have tried to be one of the girls, but in my small office it is hard. One has commented that I am the only one who usually compliments her on her dress, blouse, lipstick or whatever. She says even the other ladies don't do that. But I still haven't really gained their confidence, at least on the girlie talk.

I was in Dallas yesterday. I must say I miss those big offices and cubicles (Dilbert is my hero), and all those beautiful women running around in high heels. :sigh:

trannie T
11-16-2007, 04:32 AM
What are you going to do when they want to see your panties?

charllote34
11-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Thats a great story and just shows you how welcoming women are as opposed to men !! Glad they have made you feel special and it must make work seem a lot more fun now :happy:

RachelDenise
11-16-2007, 05:27 AM
What a great story! I think we all would love to be in your heels.

JoAnnDallas
11-16-2007, 09:38 AM
I told the wife about it Wednesday evening. She was amazed that the ladies reacted so well. She has met all four of the ladies, so it will be interesting when they meet again at the Xmas party. LOL Wife did asked if I told them about my dressing up and I said "NO, I did not say anything that would out me that way".
I am not sure what the ladies think of me, but I'm sure they know that I'm not like most males. LOL I told them yesterday at lunch that I had made a appointment with my Nail Tech for Saturday. Bev did mention that my nails does need some attention. I said well I only go once a month, so by the time I go, they are starting to look a little ragged. Steph then asked if my Nail Salon had the hot foot wax treatment. I said Yes, and last month I got my first feet treated and it felt great. I added I wished they also did the hot wax for hands. My old Nail Salon did that and my hands always felt nice and smooth afterwards. All three of them agreed and they chatted about their nail salons.
As for my male co-workers, yep the batter has started and I'm loving it.

MsJanessa
11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship

Michelia
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
This was a great dtory. And it sounds like such fun.

We are not so lucky to have girls like that in our office. We rarely have parties and such things. The girls in our office are the very independent type.

I would take the banner and organize these things myself except I already get enough ribbing from the guys as it is. It seems I am the only one ever interested in celebrating birthdays, or cleaning the refrigerator, or keeping soap in the bathroom! They could care less.

This must be one of the real differences between the sexes! Many girls enjoy celebrating these things like I do. I hope they do not entirely disappear.

Michelia

Emily Ann Brown
11-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I AM NOT WORTHY OH GREAT AND MIGHTY SISTER !!! :notworthy:

Emily Ann

Mitch23
11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
love it sweetie - what a cool story. I think if you are up front then the girls will love you for it. had a conversation with my coworkers today about the next girls night out - i said i think i might be really outrageous next time and dress as a guy. smiles al round then they said no, you'll never get away with it!

mitch

vivianann
11-17-2007, 04:05 AM
That is a wonderful story, hope to hear more about your experiences with the office girls.

Mirani
11-17-2007, 04:20 AM
JoAnn .. Go Girl! It is a bit special to have women "in the know" who treat you respectfully and accept you.
I recently found out that my co-workers knew about me for 6 months but waited for me to say something myself.

I hope that the "girlfriend" relationships grow.

MarciManseau
11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
It's soooo cool that you opened up to the other girls like that:hugs:

And I love that they were so accepting. Maybe things are changing. I sure hope so

Marci:hugs:

krisinpink
11-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing, and all the best to you and your newest girlfriends! Very Cool!

goofus
11-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Amazing how cool women can be when they're not your significant other...'course they can be cool when they are your SO too, if you're lucky :happy:

Bethany_Anne_Fae
11-30-2007, 01:30 AM
I told the wife about it Wednesday evening. She was amazed that the ladies reacted so well. She has met all four of the ladies, so it will be interesting when they meet again at the Xmas party. LOL Wife did asked if I told them about my dressing up and I said "NO, I did not say anything that would out me that way".
I am not sure what the ladies think of me, but I'm sure they know that I'm not like most males. LOL I told them yesterday at lunch that I had made a appointment with my Nail Tech for Saturday. Bev did mention that my nails does need some attention. I said well I only go once a month, so by the time I go, they are starting to look a little ragged. Steph then asked if my Nail Salon had the hot foot wax treatment. I said Yes, and last month I got my first feet treated and it felt great. I added I wished they also did the hot wax for hands. My old Nail Salon did that and my hands always felt nice and smooth afterwards. All three of them agreed and they chatted about their nail salons.
As for my male co-workers, yep the batter has started and I'm loving it.

JoAnne! YOU are the BOMB!!!

Wonderful to hear some positive stories!!!!

erickka
11-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Jo Ann... that's just too cool. I wish everyone had an open mind like those ladies. This world would be a better place for all.

Kelsy
11-30-2007, 07:54 AM
What are you going to do when they want to see your panties?

:rofl: Trannie!!!!

:heehee:Kelsy

JoAnnDallas
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
We just did our secret Santa drawing and I did not draw any of the four ladies. Just going to have find someone that did draw one of them and see if they will trade with me. LOL

femboy_01
12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
What a cute story!!

Serena