PDA

View Full Version : MTF - FTM ONLY!! Left-handers

Lucy Bright
11-16-2007, 09:20 AM
For MtFs and FtMs only.

Looking back through the archives I see this question was asked about 2.5 years ago, but the forum's grown a lot since then, so I hope you don't mind my bringing it up again.

I've always wondered whether there was some connection between my being left-handed (which I am, strongly), and my being TG. I'm not sure why - I don't really have a clever neurological theory or anything! But being a leftie puts you in the habit of seeing things from a slightly different angle, and of not quite fitting in the world as you find it, which reminds me a little of the other, more important way I don't 'fit'. There does (from the earlier poll) seem to be some correlation between the two things, at least. Anyone else feel the same way about their distaff side?

I'm not dyslexic, but I'd be interested to know whether there was a similar effect there.

You can vote for more than one thing in this poll, but obviously it'll only work if you restrict yourself to one answer about the handedness, and one about the dyslexia. Thanks for indulging my curiosity!

Kisses,

Lucy

Ha! Now I know why I never took stats classes! Clearly this needed two polls! The percentages will all be screwy now because I asked two separate questions - but the raw numbers would still be intersting to know, so please don't refrain from voting just because I'm an idiot!

:o

Lucy

kassandra richard
11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm strongly right-handed without a shade of dyslexia. But I sucked at stats too :)

Kassandra

Carla4Guage
11-16-2007, 11:02 AM
I do stats and you can get the results without using two polls. Let me know when you have enough replies and feel you have a good cross-section of answers and I'll show you the tendencies, although I feel you are probably going to get something very close to normal population distributions.

pamela_a
11-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm normally right handed but have ambidextrous tenancies also. I'm not dyslexic either but I have on more than one occasion been accused of being bass ackwards.

-Paula-

MJ
11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
i am left-handed and i am somewhat dyslexic spelling and thank god for the spell-check but Evan that can be confusing when you get two words that are close

Rachaelb64
11-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I have a slightly problem here, I've marked myself down as being left handed, but I'm really should come under 'ambidextrous with left hand dominance' just to confuss things :happy:

TerriM
11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi

Im left handed. Not dyslexic, but I belong to D.A.M (Mothers Against Dyslexia).
Terri

Mitch23
11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
i'm a leftie so i guess that explains it ...

mitch

Linda C
11-16-2007, 01:23 PM
I am a lefty and dyslexic not? :D

Deborah Jane
11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I,m right handed and not dyslexic...Just type too quick and make mistakes :p

lynn27
11-16-2007, 01:40 PM
i really think there are much more left-handers than this poll will show. imho, a lot of clumsy right-handers are really left handed, they were just forced to be right-handed by their parents or in school. i have heard that catholic elementary schools are a breeding ground for clumsy right handers. :tongueout

i have first hand experience with this forced use of the right hand. they'd take the crayon or pencil out of my left hand and place it in my right hand. at 5 years old my first ball glove was right handed, i'd wear it on the other hand. i was 'taught' to swing a bat and golf club right-handed and many other small things but i have always been about 95% left-handed.

sissy_she_boy
11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
This is kind of strange. I am left handed, but so are almost 40% of the other girls here. When I was a kid in school, almost everybody was right handed, and in my day to day current life, I have noticed that most people are right handed. I would think that there is probably a 10-1 difference between right and left handed people, at least from my experience. It seems to be much closer with the girl here. I don't know if that means anything, but it is a strange coincidence.

kisses
sissy dana

Ruth
11-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I never thought before about a connection between handedness and CDing. I'm right hand dominant but can do most things with either hand. I'd hesitate to say ambidextrous (speshly after a few drinks) but I guess I'm somewhere in between. Haha.
My therapist has taught me a few things about left brain/right brain thinking, which is connected in a way with handedness, and it seems that my CDing is in some measure an outlet for a lot of right brain stuff. Left brain is rational, logical, right brain is intuitive, impulsive. How does that sound to you girls?

Marla S
11-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Left-handedness seems to be more common in males than females.
What about that ?:D

ChanDelle
11-16-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm ambidextrous but chose to write with my right hand in first grade as they made me choose one or the other. I took a look around and more were writing with their right hand so that's what I did.

A number of years ago I took a left brain / right brain test and it said I was exactly in the middle. Is that no brained?

ChanDelle

Julie York
11-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi

Im left handed. Not dyslexic, but I belong to D.A.M (Mothers Against Dyslexia).
Terri

I read that twice......

then burst out laughing.

Nice one.

:D:D

Michelle 51
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I.m a lefty and from the poll there is a much higher percent of us here cding then we make up in the general public. Don.t know if that means very much though.

Lucy Bright
11-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I do stats and you can get the results without using two polls. Let me know when you have enough replies and feel you have a good cross-section of answers and I'll show you the tendencies, although I feel you are probably going to get something very close to normal population distributions.

Thanks! You may well be right - and I realise that I likely skewed the results anyway by my subject line, which is likely to attract a disproportionate number of lefties. Still, as things stand about a third of people seem to define themselves as left-handed, as opposed to around 10% in the general population (give or take), which is quite a marked difference. Let's see how it looks after the weekend.

Kisses,

Lucy

battybattybats
11-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I was born ambidextrous but after being forced to choose one or the other because of the stupid small two-person desks at primary school where swapping hands would lead to colliding elbows I ended up being more right handed. I can't write left-handed anymore but I voted ambidextrous because I used to be and apparently could regain it if I worked hard enough at it.

Lora Olivia
11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Interesting ? I am right hand dominant but strongly ambidextrous. I wonder if ChanDelle's answer about being middle of the road is also why I feel that I am of 2 minds. Don't you wish there were difinitive answers to all these questions us TG's have. Oh well now that I have come to terms with being us and my wife and best friend can live with it I really don't care about the why's anymore I am just gonna enjoy it

Charleen
11-16-2007, 08:22 PM
All Lefty- Eye sight, hearing reflexes, everything lefty. I was told when i took that test that I was in a minority of a minority. The stats I was told was that 10% of tyhe population was lefty, and about 10% of the leftys were totally lefty.
For my fellow leftys, remember that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body. That means that Leftys are the only people in their right mind!

Karren H
11-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I write right handed but shoot the puck left handed... and I'm not dislexxickic at all... I just can't spell.. hehehe Engineer thingy

SandyR
11-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Right handed for this Girl!

SandyR

Angie G
11-17-2007, 01:22 AM
All I know is I'm all lefty and all cressdresser and loving it hun :hugs:
Angie

vivianann
11-17-2007, 03:09 AM
I am left-handed, when I write, but ambidextrous when working with my hands and not dyslexic.

Suzie S.
11-17-2007, 04:20 AM
I'm completely left-handed! :thumbsup:

Chris100
11-17-2007, 05:10 AM
I write with my left hand, but do almost everything else with my right hand, so I suppose I'm slightly ambitextrous.

It has been suggested, I think, that there may be some sort of link between the relative lengths of your fingers and your "preferences". This had me worried for a while!

:battingeyelashes:

Chris

Gisele
11-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I am left handed. Mainly just to writing. I throw a ball, shoot a handgun, eat and so on right handed. Although I cant throw a ball or write left handed but everything else I can do with either hand.

jandebs
11-17-2007, 08:33 AM
i guess i'm right handed under the usual ways of classification. however, i have a lifelong affair with my piano ( it throws me admonishing looks if i haven't played it for a couple of days ), and obviously both hands are required to have an equal standard of dexterity. Used to get all confused over the left brain, right brain thing and which was dominant. No conclusions reached.

my voice is left handed by the way.

Blonde
11-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Hmmm, well I am right handed in most things except in Hockey and Golf (left handed in those). Baseball I throw right handed, but I am a switch hitter (imagine that) at bat.

I am not dyslexic

Scotty
11-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I was a leftie until my step-dad made me use my right hand at age 6 or 7.
I'm ambidextrious now, in boxing, martial arts, all of that pays off.
I don't write well with the left but otherwise completely...

So I was left but forced right...

Ann D Bluebird
11-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Right handed by nature, but I have in recent years made a concious effort to try and "Major" with the left (ever tried brushing your teeth with a manual brush using your less prefered hand....its hard!), Co-incidental, probably, I have acknowledged my femme side (to myself) more in these same years.....
It makes me half seriously wonder if male self is right handed, "Judith" left handed. As it is I now reckon I am fairly ambidextrous....and consider myself mentally androgenous to boot! Maybe Marla had a point....

Paula G
11-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I am left-handed, as is most of my immediate family. I'm not dyslexic, but was recently diagnosed with ADD. I really don't think there is any correlation myself, or the doctor's would have found it by now.

ZenFrost
11-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm right handed, but strongly dyslexic. I don't really see much connection between that and being TG, because I don't see what a reading disorder has to do with gender dysphoria, but that's just me.

Jacqui
11-17-2007, 07:34 PM
To get a true answer, you would have to ask people which hand they use to wipe themselves.
If they answer "left" or "right," you could then reply, "You mean you don't use toilet paper??"

But to help your poll, I am ambidextrous depending on what I'm doing: most sports-righty; writing-lefty; eating (fork-left; knife-right, except butter knife-left).

There are some things that I am only lefty en-femme, like putting on mascara or lipstick. While en-mano, I don't use either hand.

Hope this helps,

Jacqui

P.S. I ma also ton dyslepsic.

Lilith Moon
11-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Ambidexterous, for some normally right handed tasks I always use my left hand...for example my PC mouse is to the left of my keyboard. Forced to write with right hand at school....never got the hang of joined-up handwriting...honestly ! Thank god for keyboards, I can touch type quite well.

Kim_Bitzflick
11-17-2007, 08:31 PM
A number of years ago I took a left brain / right brain test and it said I was exactly in the middle. Is that no brained?

ChanDelle

ChanDelle,

Only if you are blond! (just joking:D). I hope all the blonds don't get mad at me on this!

I'm right handed and I had to teach myself to eat left handed. Why? Just because I hated switching hands while cutting and eating meat.

I'm an OK sleller, but not a good spell checker.

switcheralso
11-18-2007, 08:15 AM
In 1998, a study suggested that approximately 7 to 10 percent of the adult population was left-handed. Studies indicate that left-handedness is more common in males than females.

Testosterone: Exposure to higher rates of testosterone before birth can lead to a left-handed child. That must be my desire to be a girl a low exposure to testosterone.

lynn27
11-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Ambidexterous, for some normally right handed tasks I always use my left hand...for example my PC mouse is to the left of my keyboard. Forced to write with right hand at school....never got the hang of joined-up handwriting...honestly ! Thank god for keyboards, I can touch type quite well.are you saying you print words instead of writing them? I never was able to master cursive writing. to this day i print anything. as a leftie with cursive writing i always smeared my writing because my fingers trailed into what i already wrote.

Mitch23
11-18-2007, 09:46 AM
thank goodness the old days are gone when to be a leftie was the work of the devil (sinister?) my dad was made to change and it caused him a lot of psychological damage

mitch

Susan Johnson
11-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Right handed, not dyslexic (if I have spelt it correctly) Mostly write in block caps as joined up writing looks untidy. I blame the primary school as at secondry school they said they could always recognise pupils from that school by their poor writing standards. Never mind, I survived 45 years in the job market after school finished. how's this, right handed but can't write. :-)

susan
:hugs:

Lucy Bright
11-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my question. It seems that the proportion of dyslexics amongst us is not significantly greater than the background population (5-9%), but of those who responded to the left-handed question a third identified as left-handed; which, with the hefty number of ambidexters, means that only just over half are right-handers. In the background population only about 10% are left-handed, as far as I can see, and to the naked eye that would suggest a significant correlation (I can't do the stats).

Unfortunately, I skewed the test by putting "left-handers" in the subject line, which will mean that more left-handers replied, probably. So that makes it pretty useless as a statistic - sorry! But it's interesting - at least to me...

Kisses,

Lucy:dh:

Nadia-Maria
11-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm strongly right-handed (as well as not dislexic) and strongly MTF CD.

However in sport (long jump, high jump for example), my best leg was the right one, not the left one as it is common for right-handed people.

Kisses

surabhi singh
11-19-2007, 04:10 PM
From begning iam left handed ... writing , playing cricket and most of handed task with left

Lilith Moon
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
are you saying you print words instead of writing them? I never was able to master cursive writing. to this day i print anything. as a leftie with cursive writing i always smeared my writing because my fingers trailed into what i already wrote.

Yes, I print script. Reasonably legible now but odd for an adult...more like a the work of a neat seven year old. At school I spent hours being scolded by teachers, downgraded in all subjects because of "careless writing" and was made to write stuff over and over as punishment for my bad writing...they seemed to think I was doing it deliberately. It was after I left school that I discovered that I could produce legible script by printing.

lynn27
11-20-2007, 09:34 AM
i print everything but my signature. when i was in school they marked me down for sloppy work too. almost didn't make it out of mechanical drawing [drafting] class, lot of grief, used to smear my lettering real bad. funny that i ended up working as a drafter for several years, where quality printing was very important.
Yes, I print script. Reasonably legible now but odd for an adult...more like a the work of a neat seven year old. At school I spent hours being scolded by teachers, downgraded in all subjects because of "careless writing" and was made to write stuff over and over as punishment for my bad writing...they seemed to think I was doing it deliberately. It was after I left school that I discovered that I could produce legible script by printing.

Cindi Ann Kelly
11-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm left handed.

cindi ann

Marcie Sexton
11-22-2007, 06:52 PM
There is one thing for sure about us south paws...

...We're in our right mind:heehee:

Tee
11-23-2007, 05:37 AM
i'm leftie too, but do a lot of things with right hand, especially with sports.
but i realise my right is still not my stronger hand, thats why i dislocated the right shoulder many times.

it sure looks like there is a disportionate amount of lefties. i wonder too.