PDA

View Full Version : Practice with telemarketers

Cristi
11-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Even though I am on the US national 'Do not call' list, I still get calls from the types of places that are allowed to ignore that list (charities and surveys).

I've found that the ONLY time I get calls where the caller ID on my phone shows up as 'unknown' is when it is such a call, so I've decided to use that to my advantage. Since I know that the caller will be a complete stranger, I use the opportunity to test my femme voice. So far, things haven't been going that well :(

When I get a call that says 'Unknown' on the caller ID, I try to answer in my best femme voice. So far, even if all I say is 'Hello?', I haven't fooled anybody. I still get the response "Hello, is this Mr. XXXXX?' :(

I just don't see how that one word can be sinking me so consistently. I guess I have a LONG way to come with my voice! If just ONCE I can get "Hello Ma'm" or 'Is this Mrs. XXXXX?' I would be encouraged.

Has anybody else tried this with any luck?

Charolette time
11-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Even though I am on the US national 'Do not call' list, I still get calls from the types of places that are allowed to ignore that list (charities and surveys).

I've found that the ONLY time I get calls where the caller ID on my phone shows up as 'unknown' is when it is such a call, so I've decided to use that to my advantage. Since I know that the caller will be a complete stranger, I use the opportunity to test my femme voice. So far, things haven't been going that well :(

When I get a call that says 'Unknown' on the caller ID, I try to answer in my best femme voice. So far, even if all I say is 'Hello?', I haven't fooled anybody. I still get the response "Hello, is this Mr. XXXXX?' :(

I just don't see how that one word can be sinking me so consistently. I guess I have a LONG way to come with my voice! If just ONCE I can get "Hello Ma'm" or 'Is this Mrs. XXXXX?' I would be encouraged.

Has anybody else tried this with any luck?

I love it when they call, some one on this site gave a hint to in hale just before anserwing and exhale as you talk, it brings the voice up higher, then I tell them im wearing panties and a bra,:devil:long pause and a hang up, Charolette

jandebs
11-17-2007, 12:22 PM
you may be drawing wrong conclusions Cristi! telemarketers are using databases to determine name/gender etc., not what they hear at the other end of the phone. And if your bills, records etc., are predominantly male, that'll be most likely where they're getting data on who to speak to in the household.

Next time, in your best female voice, try: 'sorry no, he's not in, can i help?'

i usually do this as an avoidance strategy, but then if they should ask who they're speaking to, i'll say 'his sister', just to see what happens! Usually, they switch over to thinking they must be talking to a female.

Cristi
11-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Next time, in your best female voice, try: 'sorry no, he's not in, can i help?'

i usually do this as an avoidance strategy, but then if they should ask who they're speaking to, i'll say 'his sister', just to see what happens! Usually, they switch over to thinking they must be talking to a female.

Great idea! I'm going to try that next time.

SherriePall
11-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Cristi -- Most of them follow a script and as Jandebs noted, if they are ready to read that script to a male, it doesn't matter if you sound like a breathy Marilyn Monroe or some deep voiced guy, they automatically go into their prepared spiel.

Lisa Renee
11-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I have tried this method also, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But I keep on trying

Lisa Rose
11-17-2007, 02:48 PM
The most fun I've ever had with one 'them' a male caller immediately asked for the 'lady' of the house. In my deepest voice I said 'You're talking to her." He hemmed and ahhed, then went on with his speel.

trannie T
11-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I need to work on a fem voice, all I ever do is yell at telemarketers.

JenniferR771
11-17-2007, 10:50 PM
I got a call from a political campaign worker. Told her I was a crossdresser. I asked if the candidate supported equal rights for the transgendered. Not really. Fred Thompson campaign.

raleighbelle
11-18-2007, 02:27 AM
After answering in my obviously male voice, I have been called Maam by telemarketers. I think it is mostly scripted by them. They do so many calls they don't really think about what they are saying.

I find those calls make me quite angry, so I look at them as 'time is money'. When they call I say I am not interested, but they always persist, so I then tell them my wife is interested, please hold on and then I call for her (I am not married). I just set the phone down for a while. That may sound rude, but I think they are rude ignoring the no-call list.

andreaattimes
11-18-2007, 02:36 AM
I don't try to have a girl voice but I have been told I sound like a girl on the phone. I have been called ma'am over the phone more times then I can count.

Jere Oneil
11-18-2007, 08:16 AM
I often get called "miss or ma'am" by telemarketers. But what I like to do sometimes is to "put them on hold" so to speak. What I do is to say something like "Mr Jones is on another line right now. Your call is important to him and he will be with you as soon as possible." Then I turn on the cd player and lay the phone in front of the speaker. Sopmetimes I'll just leave it. When I am in the mood for more fun, I see how long they will stay on the line, by stopping the music. and picking up the phone to say, "Your call is important to us, we will be with you as soon as possible." No one has yet made it to my second "your call is important".

carolinewalker_2000
11-18-2007, 10:05 AM
ANYTHING but anything that throws telemarketeers of their preplanned pitch has to be worth trying. If there is a more objectionable intrusion into ones private life, I have yet to find it.

Wenda
11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
What a great idea!! When my land line rings, and I answer, and there is a silence, I now know that it means that the call has been auto-dialed, and I hang up. I will try this. Thank you! w.

Kim_Bitzflick
11-21-2007, 11:02 PM
My father used to tell "them" that Mr. ***** just died and we are in the middle of making the funeral arrangements. That usually stops them "dead" in their tracks.:D

Miss Petra
11-21-2007, 11:22 PM
I tell them that I am very intrested in what they are selling but then I tell them about a wonderful opportunity I have for them. I go in to a 30 second spiel on what ever I want to sell them. Usually it is the first thing I spot in the room I am in. After I am done I ask for the close and ask how they want to pay for it. Sometimes a click is all I hear other times just dead silence cuz there aint nothin in their scripted binder to handle this type of reaction from a prospect. Try it its a lot of fun and lets you hone up on your sales skills if you are a sales person.

Petra

lauren
11-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Long ago I found a decision tree script for use with telemarketers. It asks for their name, location, phone number etc. All little things that one might expect to be asked. Depending on their answers (or lack thereof) you branch off into another line of questioning and so on. The whole idea is to keep them occupied answering YOUR questions instead of the reverse. I've used it a few times but only when I have the time to waste and am feeling a bit devilish. Most times I just threaten them with using my recording of the call to report them to the appropriate authorities (I don't really make a recording but then they don't know that.)

femboy_01
12-09-2007, 02:09 PM
LOL I always practice my fem voice with telemarketers its always fun to hear me called ma'm.

Serena

Scotty
12-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Try the one about the guy that pla yed as a cop and told the telemarketer to start giving him info as he was involved in a murder scene LOL

I have fun with them, except the veterans and police organizations, I just tell them I'm a student and they leave me alone.