PDA

View Full Version : Steps and heels

Dana Carlton
11-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Lately I've been paying close attention to those things that I do when enfemme as opposed to drab.

One thing I noticed is walking up or down steps while wearing heels. Is it just me, or do you also notice that you tend to go "sideways" on steps when in heels? Making sure that each heel actually touches the steps. Or do you just use the front of your foot on the step and let the heel kinda hang in mid air?

Might be a silly question, but just something I've noticed that I do when in heels. It does seam more "ladylike".

I'm curious. Try it and please let me know how you walk steps in heels.

Michelle 51
11-19-2007, 03:12 PM
I,m like you.Often i tend to walk sideways

Marla S
11-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Front only.

Rita B
11-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I know one thing I have learned and that is to go down the stairs sideways, less chance of your heel getting caught in the stair. As far as going up I think I just put the front part of my foot on the step, again being careful not to get the heel caught.

jamiecd636
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I was out with a GG friend over the weekend, I noticed that she turned her feet to the left when walking upstairs to make sure her entire foot hit the stair.

Karren H
11-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Nope I walk straight up and down the stairs... And its not so much that wearing heals makes you act more lady-like... The shape of the heels forces everyone, male or female, to walk that way.. Its just that we've associated wearing heels as being lady-like..

I get behind the same women day in and day out walking the steps at work and its amazing to see the difference in the way they walk.. One day in heels very "feminine" and the next day in tennies walking a cloddy as I do!! Lol.

If everyone wore heels then it would be lady-like, it would be "elevationally challenged". :D

trannie T
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Sideways with a death grip on the handrail.

jonnie64
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
for me it depends on the heel height, the taller the heel, the more sideways i go!

Ruth
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Another reason why I don't wear heels (well, nothing higher than about one-and-a-half inch).
A lot of women feel pressured into wearing heels - to look taller, to have better looking legs, etc., but the great thing about CDing is you don't have to conform to anyone else's expectations.

CamillaCD
11-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Like Karren I walk straight up and down. Going up is the same in Bob mode, only the front part is put on the step. Heels doesn't really enter the equation. When going down the front part part touches first, followed by the heel.

AllieSF
11-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Sideways going down with my hand on the rail. Straight or slightly sideways with only the front part of the shoe on the step going up. It is definitely safer that way.

Samantha43
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
I kind of go diagonally up and down with a firm grip on the hand rail. Catching a heel is no fun at all!

"Mary"
11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Straight up, sideways down with high heels. Gettin gcomfortable enough to go straight down in low heels.

Diana

MJ
11-19-2007, 07:08 PM
for me it depends on the heel height, the taller the heel, the more sideways i go!

me too , but with a small heel i go Straight up and down

Sherlyn
11-19-2007, 07:26 PM
same here depends on the heel ..if im wearing a wedge ..i tend to walk straight up ...but in a pump with a thin heel ..it just seems right to side step carefully ...:)

Wendy me
11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
for me straight up and down the stairs lol i can even run up the stairs and down them most often i don't use the hand rail .... my heels are 4 inch heels .. but then again i kinda have this shoe thingy going on ....lol....

Jenna1561
11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
With 2 inch or taller heels, I tend to use the stairs at an angle (25-30 degrees) to the right. In flats or low heels, I don't think about it as much and probably go pretty much straight up and down.

Jenna

jaina
11-19-2007, 08:37 PM
I have never walked sideways on stairs.

ronna
11-19-2007, 08:46 PM
I do that too, Dana!
I never really thought about it until you mentioned it, but it is more fun to go down sideways, keeping your legs crossed as much as possible

Joanna-Louise
11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
never really thought about it till i just did it....

I tend to use the fron tof my foot walking up the stairs, (with the heel in the air) and use the whole foot walking down, slightly twisting my foot as i do.

jo
xx

Sam-antha
11-20-2007, 07:17 PM
I always climb straight up, letting them hang, facing the top that is, while going down I face the bottom rather than the top, full footed and sideways :heehee:

Billijo49504
11-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Karen, If I had to wear heels all the time, I might as well put in for a wheel chair for me. There was a time they talked about cutting my left leg off, but the arterie was still good enough, so they let me keep it....BJ
ps. I wish I could wear heels more. I have a few prs, Some are larger heels.

Alice B
11-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Almost always sideways going down, but it depends upon the heel height and style. Get real interesting if you have a drink in your hand and our house is 4 levels of stairs.:drink:

jaina
11-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Does the sideways thing slow you down? There are always down stairways to boarding platforms on trains and subways full of people in a hurry behind you. It sounds kind of dangerous actually, especially if you were carrying packages or shopping.

Monique Althea
11-21-2007, 12:01 AM
I enjoy that feeling of girlishness that comes from negotiating a flight of stairs in heels--especially when I'm wearing a rather tight and/or long skirt and must lift it in order to maintain grace...

donna anne
11-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I Go Srtaight Up And Down. Hold On To The Handrail Only When After Wearing Heels For A Long Time And My Legs Are Getting Tired

daviolin
11-24-2007, 02:06 PM
I allways walk straight up the stairs. Sometimes with the heel hanging free Depending on the heel height. One thing I take pride in, is that I don't have a problem walking in heels I've been wearing them so long I walk better then most girls do. :tongueoutDaviolin

Genifer Teal
11-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Does the sideways thing slow you down? There are always down stairways to boarding platforms on trains and subways full of people in a hurry behind you. It sounds kind of dangerous actually, especially if you were carrying packages or shopping.

It is not something I give conscious thought to. Depending on how steep the steps are and how high the heels are, I adapt accordingly. Sometimes I go more sideways than others but usually it is hardly even noticable unless the stairs are extremely steep. It never slows me down and often sppeds me up cause the stairs become easier to traverse.

When climbing up stairs I rarely need to do anything special. I usually just let the heel hang off the edge. In heels I'm walking on the balls of my feet anyway.

Gen

Khriss
11-24-2007, 07:29 PM
It is not something I give conscious thought to. Depending on how steep the steps are and how high the heels are, I adapt accordingly. Sometimes I go more sideways than others but usually it is hardly even noticable unless the stairs are extremely steep. It never slows me down and often sppeds me up cause the stairs become easier to traverse.

When climbing up stairs I rarely need to do anything special. I usually just let the heel hang off the edge. In heels I'm walking on the balls of my feet anyway.

Gen I agree with Genifer.. a "time and place deal" ??
though under stress in such ways.. I've pulled My shoes off eh ??
then replaced them .. when appropriate ? xx"K"

ElleCD
11-24-2007, 07:34 PM
On the toes going up and sideways coming down

Pretty Sissy Dani
11-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I tend to step sideways going down, but toes only going up.

In part, it depends on how "deep" the step is.

Jeannie
11-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Funny you should mention that, but tonight as I was walking down the stairs I happen to notice that I was walking sideways. I think that it is due to the fact that I fell down the stairs one morning as I was getting ready to go to work (in drab). For me, as I get older stairs become quite an obstacle and I tend to prefer a death grip on the ole banister. Were I a bit younger I would just charge down with wild abandon. I guess I will need to work on this issue because I would like to appear to at least have some idea of what I am doing. One must remember though that the ankles are not one of the most strongest of joints of the body and heels tend to increase the chances of having a mishap eventually. Just ask a women who has fallen off her heels.

Jeannie

Raychel
11-25-2007, 06:47 AM
I am afriad that I will trip unless I turn my feet sideways. Trips and fall down the stairs while dressed. One concussion and a broken leg, and Dad is in a dress. I think that would be hard to explain.

nornor
11-25-2007, 08:59 AM
On the toes going up and sideways coming down

I agree. I've watched the girls in my office and almost all of them do it this way when wearing heels higher than 2 inches. When going downstairs, the toes are pointed towards whichever handrail they are close to. They turn their foot just enough to be able to land the ball of their foot on the step.
In flats, the boys and girls navigate the stairs pretty much the same way.

Sabrina Flowers
11-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I tend to go up the stairs with straight foot and down stairs with the foot and body side ways, holding on to the banister tightly:eek:

Cassy11
11-25-2007, 12:02 PM
When wearing flats or in drab it's straight up and straight down. In heels it's straight up toes first but when comming down it's foot turned slightly for firm contact with heel and toe. Any stair that is carpeted requires extra caution for me as the heels have a tendency to catch in the carpet.

Littlej10
11-25-2007, 02:42 PM
It depends on the width of the steps. On narrow steps I always go sideways, even with flat heels and in drab. Sideways in high heels going down but usually straight up.

Lorna
11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Apart from the heels themselves, I find that two other things affect how I come down stairs (going up is not a problem).
First, it depends what kind of dress/skirt I am wearing. One of the many things that girls have to cope with is that you can't see your feet if the skirt is at all flared, so that makes stairs more hazardous. Secondly, for those of us who keep our dressing to ourselves, the prospect of a fall is doubly worrying: not only might physical injury occur but the prospect of lying immobilised at the foot of the stairs awaiting discovery and help is a bit of a nightmare. For both these reasons I take extra care, use the rail and, sometimes, step sideways.

Lucy Bright
11-25-2007, 03:53 PM
I've not found heels a problem - but mine are only a modest 2 inches - and I go straight up (on the balls of my feet, heel overhanging) and straight down (the whole foot more or less straight on) with no trouble at all. But I've only got my own stairs to go by, and it might be different with another depth or width of step.

Kisses,

Lucy

SiobhanW
11-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Had to go double check (good excuse to go put stockings and heels on). Going down it's definitely turned sideways. Going up it's either toes only or turned slightly sideways so I can get the whole foot onto the step. This seems to be dependent on how comfortable I feel in a particular pair of heels.

Carly D.
11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I walk up with the heel dangling in mid air.. and now for something completely different, a man in heels with his hands full walking up or down the stairs... try that.. I was carrying a vcr (remember those) from my room to the family room and down the stairs I went (in four inch heels) and just walked like I normally do, and later took the vcr back up stairs the same way as I always do.. my point being that I didn't even give it a second thought about how was I going to do this.. I think I was born to wear heels, they are very natural for me... almost like my regular everyday shoes are...

Deborah
11-30-2007, 12:23 PM
i walk up the stairs straight and turn my foot at an angle walking down. My body is generally straight coming down though.

KatrinaAshley
11-30-2007, 11:11 PM
I only own one pair of 5" platforms, no low heels for me yet. I didn't give it any thought the first time I wore them, it felt natural to turn diagonally towards the handrail when going down, carefully placing each foot fully onto the next step. My heels don't touch the stairs on the way up. Fronts only.

It depends on the depth of the steps. I wouldn't turn my feet on larger stairways.

Carol A
12-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm very comfortable in heels except going down stairs, I use the hand rail and yes step sideways on the steps. Going up, no problem one foot in front of the other walking more or less on the ball of the foot.

Jennifer Giovannetta
12-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I walk down steps carefully. Do not want heel to get caught in carpet, or trip and fall down steps. When walking down, I take one step at a time straight down, but each step is placed carefully. Walking up steps I just use the ball of my foot, and the heel does not touch the step most of the time.

Penny
12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I prefer to walk up stairs in the upright position and ofcourse, I do prefer the
elevator. Thank you for asking.

:hugs:

Penny

Jilmac
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
i don't wear stiletto heels because of bad ankles. all my shoes have pretty substantial heels but i still watch my step on stairs.
Jill

Dawn Marie
12-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I go straight up in heels with just the front of my foot catching the step , but always holding onto the rail. Coming down the toe first then the heel on the step, but usually at an angle. For some reason I have never had trouble walking in heels , even my 5 1/2 inch stilettos are really no problem, thou you can hear me comming a mile away.

Genifer Teal
12-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I only own one pair of 5" platforms

So sorry to hear! We've go to take you out shopping. :-)

Hugs - Genfier