PDA

View Full Version : Getting laughed at

Kelly Greene
11-25-2007, 05:53 PM
I went out to Menards to get some plastic to cover up a window that is letting in too much cold air. I decided to go dressed up and while on my short shopping trip I did smile but I lost my smile when I heard someone laughing and commenting on my outfit, the group the laughter was coming from was a family of four (two teenagers and parents) I could also hear the mother comment "I jealous".
The outfit consists of a green tunic under a white sweater, tights and boots.
My question is do I look funny?
I know that I don’t necessarily Pass for female but I think I can look pretty .
How do you handle being laughed at?

occdresser
11-25-2007, 05:57 PM
dude looks like a lady! ha ha ha I just turn my head the other way and walk away.

jennifer41356
11-25-2007, 05:59 PM
not sure but with the little bit of description you wrote, maybe you were dressed like a teenager, not as an older gal?:2c:

Kelly Greene
11-25-2007, 06:05 PM
I changed my avitar so you could see the outfit

Marla S
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
How do you handle being laughed at?
It hurts ... but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I still have most of such incidents vividly in my mind, but they don't bring me down.
I know I "stand out", hence I have to expect such things from time to time (being prepared), but I also get compliments from time to time and I try to value compliments higher, because I stand out.

Karren H
11-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Never been laughed at, at least that I've heard.. But I don't pay attention to what others say about me or really care.. Hey my wife says I look funny dressed as a guy most of the time!! Lol. Don't let it bother you, it doesn't bother me..

Karren

trannie T
It goes with the territory. When we go out we have to realize that we can be subject to abuse. I recommend going to the mall and hanging out with a group of teenage girls, after you've been through that you are ready for most anything short of water boarding.

Ashley in Virginia
It's the reason I see no real purpose for going out. Why go out dressed and deal with the hassle if I can just do it easier not dressed. Why bother?

tina_43
don't let what other people think bring you down, all that matters is how you feel and what ever makes you happy you do it. good luck hun!

serinalynn
11-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Nice outfit in that avatar Bunny!!!!:thumbsup: I really don't care of what people think of what I wear, If its comfortable I'll wear it

Nicole Erin
11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
That outfit doesn't look too bad. How do you know they were laughing at you? I know we always feel that way, we are often self-conscious
Whoever laughed was probably jealous that you have more teeth than she does. :D

MarinaTwelve200
11-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, THATS part of the risk one takes when one goes out CD. One has no right to complain ---we ALL know the risk we are taking, but some of us think the pleasure we feel is worth that risk---thats the trade-off.

Some of us do not think its worth the risk of possible ridicule--so we stay indoors.---thats the way it is and will always be.

TxKimberly
11-25-2007, 07:17 PM
You do exacty what you did - you ignore it, keep your head up, and go on!

Genifer Teal
11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
This looks like a great place to relay a recent story. I travel into NYC frequently on the train. This requires a walk through Penn Station - nearly the busiest station in the US. So I'm going clubbing on a saturday nite. I'm looking good, but obviously dressed for the club scene, so in 5 inch heels I easily stand out. As I proceed on my way, some big black guy decideds it is his duty to let the world know my secret. He shouts at the top of his lungs "Hey look, It's a dude bitch!"

So, what was my reaction? I started to laugh because it was original and somewhat funny. Had I walked past him I might have given him a high five. There was a time when a comment like this might have sent be running away in tears. Now, I just take it in stride. I know how I was dressed. Perhaps if I was trying to fit it and didn't, it might have had a small effect on me. I knew once I got where I was going, I'd be accepted with open arms by everyone.

Sometimes you just have to roll with the situation.

Hugs - Genifer

Lora Olivia
11-25-2007, 07:23 PM
just hold your head up and smile...or maybe a bit of laughter back...sometimes you just gotta say what the .......heck:hugs:

Joy Carter
11-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I get all the laughing outta they way when I see myself dressed.:heehee:

What I'm trying to say here it's only what you think matters. Strangers are nothing in your life. Just be who you are.

Sally2005
11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Well...along with the others, it is how you look at it. First of all, you don't know exactly what they said, so it could have been about something unrelated, ...you have the same boots or sweater as they do. Secondly, if it was about you at least you made someone happy. I would ignore it.

Delilah
11-25-2007, 07:52 PM
"You do exacty what you did - you ignore it, keep your head up, and go on!"

I agree with Kimberly - it is a tough world we live in. Don't lose any sleep
over it. You must be in the Midwest. I have a Menards about a mile from my
house.

Delilah

Kari Lynn Franks
11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I can relate about a year ago i was working on a project at home and neededsomething from home depot well i was wearing a white blouse and a blu pleated schoolgirl skirt no makeup and i needed to shave.my wife was with me she was kinda nervous she said there was a couple of guys following us around the store when we were done checking out these 2 rednecks were sitting on the sheetrock laughing there heads off i just turned and looked at them and waved and smiled then went on our way i dont let others decide how im going to feel as long as im happy oh and the wife too everyone else can kiss my pantied butt!!!!!!!

Kaitlyn Michele
11-25-2007, 08:24 PM
easier said than done sweetie but chin up!! and who cares..

based on your avie i think you were dressed fine and i guess we all want to dress a little younger so maybe that's all it was

i dont like to be laughed at either and its happened but i've gotten so much more out it that it doesnt matter..

Nicole Erin
11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Sometimes people see me when I am in public and not even dressed. :eek:
I mean, when I am not dressed en femme, but in drab.
... you know what I mean...

Sometimes I ignore stupid things people say. Really, if someone is saying stuff, they are making themSELVES look stupid. Like the guy who called Genifer a "dude B****" He just made himself look like a dip.

Other times I say something back. They almost always shut up after that. :D
But then *I* look bad. :o

Dita_B
11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Well I actually don't agree with any of the above...

Laughing at people is rude and immature and people wouldn't normally do that when they are alone because they know it is out of line to ridicule someone else in public. So they do that only when they are in company of others to make fun at your cost. (And hoping to gain popularity with those that are in their company)...

Now when that happens to me I react the same way as I would do when it would happen when in drab, I would give the "laugher" the "look"... Look them right into the eyes and if you are close enough tell them that they are being rude and you will be surprised how soon they will shut up when put on the spot and the roles become reversed.

I don't even consider to ignore them, as that could be interpreted as a sign of weakness. And those people feed their "Courage" from your vulnerability. So my advise is to put them back in their place and immediately. The fact that you are dressed doesn't mean that you have to give up on you dignity as a human being? You can defend your rights to your dignity no matter what you look like, even, and perhaps especially, when you were naked....

So be yourself and handle it as you would normally do...

Love, :love:Dita.

Stephenie S
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
So, there you have several different POV about this.

Of course, the idea is to not get laughed at in the first place. You do that by dressing the same way every other woman is dressing. I would wear jeans to the hardware store. There are NO rules that say you HAVE to wear anything specific anywhere, but . . . . . if you are trying to be left alone, you can't wear something that attracts attention. How old are you? Dress your age. If you are a teenager you can dress like a teenager, but teenage girls attract attention no matter what they have on. If you are a 30 something, that usually means sweats and sneakers when out and about. Look around. What are other women wearing? Living as a woman can mean some more work in the clothing department. If I am working around the house, I may change before I go to get my nails done. Yesterday I had to go buy a battery for my car when I got out of work. I went home and changed first.

I have been laughed at only once (that I know about) and I kinda looked at it like I was bringing someone a bit of enjoyment, albeit at my expense. A couple of young men went past me as I was sitting on the floor outside my electrologist's office waiting for her. When they got outside they just broke up! I assume they were laughing at me. If you dress to BLEND in you will attract less attention.

What to do when it happens? Don't loose that smile. Smile at them. Let them see you are not ashamed or embarrassed about your behavior. If people who laugh at you see that you are visibly uneasy, they may laugh all the more. If they see that you are comfortable with how you are dressed it kinda takes the wind out of their sails.

I say this over and over. Smile! Don't loose that smile. Isn't this fun? If it's not fun, then why are you doing it?

Lovies,
Stephenie

And one more thing. If you want to dress this way, then you had better get used to other people's reaction to you when you do. Take responsibility for your own behavior.

Lori SC
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Bunny,

Getting laughed at is no joking matter. It hurts whenever it happens. The girls with more experience (eg. they have been laughed at more often) realize it's going to happen. You can fool some of the people.... You have to accept the fact, and go on.

All of us - even the best on this board will get spotted as a male sometimes.

But most of us "pass" most of the time. Or, at least people aren't rude and don't make comments that can be overheard.

Look at it this way... One family of four spotted you and laughed. How many others at Menards did not? I'll bet there were another 100-200 people who saw you in the course of the excursion that didn't think of you as anything but a woman. (And I don't think it was your outfit, girl; it looks ok to me).

To answer the question, "What do you do"? You go on living and enjoying life!

Hugs, Lori

Butterfly Bill
11-25-2007, 11:15 PM
If the woman said, "I am jealous" (and it looks in your picture like you had on something tight over your legs showing off their shape), that may well have been a compliment.

Anthea
11-25-2007, 11:54 PM
The only time I caught someone snigger at me was a young SA in a womans clothing store, I eyed her and said don't laugh and she stopped. I just walked out the door and have never returned.

You will always get the odd person who will chosse to be rude. I would not let it worry you.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
11-26-2007, 02:01 AM
This looks like a great place to relay a recent story. I travel into NYC frequently on the train. This requires a walk through Penn Station - nearly the busiest station in the US. So I'm going clubbing on a saturday nite. I'm looking good, but obviously dressed for the club scene, so in 5 inch heels I easily stand out. As I proceed on my way, some big black guy decideds it is his duty to let the world know my secret. He shouts at the top of his lungs "Hey look, It's a dude bitch!"

So, what was my reaction? I started to laugh because it was original and somewhat funny. Had I walked past him I might have given him a high five. There was a time when a comment like this might have sent be running away in tears. Now, I just take it in stride. I know how I was dressed. Perhaps if I was trying to fit it and didn't, it might have had a small effect on me. I knew once I got where I was going, I'd be accepted with open arms by everyone.

Sometimes you just have to roll with the situation.

Hugs - Genifer

WELL done!

Susan.
11-26-2007, 02:10 AM
I have to give y'all credit. At least you go out. I'm even shy in boy mode, much less dressed up. Being self-conscious is a curse I've never gotten over.