PDA

View Full Version : Is Crossdressing Healthy?

lisa_e_love
11-26-2007, 02:07 AM
As everyone is well aware, men have a shorter life expectancy than women. I’ve heard a lot about why this could be and there are some obvious culprits - men consume more alcohol and drugs, are less concerned with nutrition and perform more physical (and therefore more dangerous) labor. A friend recently brought up that some new research has indicated that men have a smaller amount of acceptable outlets for stress than women do and that this may account for part of men’s decreased life expectancy.

Thinking about this, it’s started to make a lot of sense. When men have problems, calling up a good friend, venting and sharing emotions can be perceived as too effeminate. There’s a lot of social pressure on men to remain silent when they have internal stresses. When you think of a stressed woman - she is at liberty to call a friend, take a bubble bath or get pampered without worrying about the social consequences of releasing her stress in this way. “Feminine” ways of stress relief are also more creative and, I believe, more cathartic. If I have something on my mind, painting my nails or talking to someone would constitute actually DOING something. On the other hand, if I kept my stress bottled up inside and did something passive like watch TV or hit a punching bag (two very masculine activities), I think my stress would just continue to fester.

It would be an interesting study to do: Do more effeminate men live longer than more masculine men” I think that the stresses of life compounded with the stresses of striving to live up to a silent, masculine image could certainly take their toll.
So maybe the next time someone notices that I like to wear panties, I’ll just say that I’m trying to increase my longevity. :tongueout

(Sorry if this post didn’t feel very conversational, I wrote it on my laptop on an airplane to pass the time. Still 1 hour to go!)

Kate Simmons
11-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Hi Lisa, well I do think you've hit on something there, my friend. I've been thinking about this for a long time now. When I was younger and used to do this in secret, it seemed I was a lot more stressed than I am these days. I seemed to have a lot of responsibilities as a guy and this was stressing the blazes out of me. I used to constantly get backaches, headaches and constantly had all kinds of allergies which gave me no shortage of problems. It seemed my girl time helped to relieve this a lot, even if it was limited.

Way back in the 1970's I started reading up on this and found that taking anti-oxidants helped the immune system, even though the FDA won't admit it. Stress also negatively affects the immune system, so for some 40 years, I've been taking massive doses of anti-oxidants. That is not all. I read about how by doing things that bring us pleasure endorphins are released in the body which are beneficial. Since dressing seemed to make me happy, I reasoned that it may actually help to release endorphins into my system, thereby lessening some of the stress.

My responsibilities in life and being a husband and father seemed to be relentless and I seriously doubt I could have survived without the antioxidants, the dressing or both. I think that the combination helped me both physically and psychologically to keep going. The fact was that when I did dress, I felt younger , freer and full of energy which in my mind was a much more attractive alternative than crashing and burning and I always seemed to be much more in touch with myself.

Nowadays I'm alone, my children are grown and I'm retired. I've taken the time to get even more in touch with myself and my feelings and am no longer afraid or ashamed of them as I once was. You know how it is, just because you're a guy, you are expected to be tough and stolid. I say nuts to that. Real people have real feelings and utilize and express them,regardless of gender and this is a great stress reliever in itself.

The other thing is that I've learned not to take myself so seriously either way and have made dressing a fun thing for myself. Even dressing can stress you out if you feel you have "standards" to fulfill by passing off the illusion. I have none and therefore have absolutely no stress as either Rich or Sal. At 60 years of age I have no idea where the energy comes from but it seems by allowing myself to be myself the energy is boundless and I can now tap into it in either mode. Works for me anyway.;):happy:

charllote34
11-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Think this may have been true 20 years ago , but in general men do seem more concerned about health and apperance than they used to do .When i was a kid in the late 70, s i dont remember men wearing deodarant or anything like that . And as tv ,s i think we do look after our health signifcantly more compared to men , ie weight , diet etc....
PS if woman do live 5 years longer when i get to 65 will have the GRS !!

Angela Burke
11-26-2007, 05:34 AM
I can only speak from personal experience if something that relaxes me, makes me feel less stressed, makes me feel better about myself is good for my health then crossdressing is most certainly healthy for me. I can't possibly know but I would think it a fair assumption that others here must feel the same?

Marla S
11-26-2007, 09:02 AM
I would say it depends.
IMO it is a question how you are able to integrate the CDing in your live.
Like jill said, there can be considerable emotional and practical stress being TG (just look at the suicide rate of TSs).
On the other side, if you are able to find a way that works for you, there is certainly a mental and physical health benefit to it, if the positive emotions involved outperform the negative ones, which are certainly always present to some degree.

Is CDing healthier than being no-TG.
I don't think so, because IMO it depends solely on your degree of happiness, self-confidence and your ability to deal with negative situations ... you don't have to be TG to achieve that and being TG is no guaranty to achieve that.

One big advantage of being TG IMO is, that we are forced to think about very fundamental issues of being a human. Once we understand of few of them we probably know more than most others.

lisa_e_love
11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts- I guess I didn't consider the fact that there are lots of stresses involved in being a CD- hiding it, bringing it up in relationships, etc.

I guess it really does depend what kind of a situation we're in.

trannie T
11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
The only reason I dress is for my health.

docrobbysherry
11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
The only reason I dress is for my health.

THe only reason I dress, is for Trannie T's health! And!
Writing this was SO stress reducing!
RS

www.myspace.com/robertsherry

Meg East
11-26-2007, 10:15 PM
The question "is crossdressing healthy" is kind of population thing; something like is not smoking better than smoking. To me cd is healthy compared to a diet of prozac.

Karren H
11-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Hell yes its healthy!! 4 years ago I was 230 pounds... Over weiight for my 5' 9" body.. High blood pressure.... Couldn't walk up a set of stairs without stopping... Bad shape... And after being diagnosed with a brain tumor and starting treatment.. Which brought back my crossdressing with a vengence.... I lost 50 pounds in 9 months... Now have low BP and a heart rate at rest of 42... Started playing ice hockey again.... And exersizing to maintain my girlish figure.. I'm eating better and healtier... I'm taking good care of my skin...

I'd say if I hadn't started crossdressing and taking better care of myself I'd wither be dead or near death by now.. So how healthy is that??? :)

Karren

goofus
11-27-2007, 12:28 AM
The question "is crossdressing healthy" is kind of population thing; something like is not smoking better than smoking. To me cd is healthy compared to a diet of prozac.

I'm with you there - I was on antidepressants for several years, but since I stopped taking them I've started crossdressing more, and it seems to be a drug-free antidote to depression (or at least part of a drug-free approach to depression)

LilSissyStevie
11-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Maybe not, especially if you get your corset too tight. There's lots of things that aren't perfectly healthy in life that nevertheless should not be missed.

Denise Barrett
11-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi Lisa,:hugs:

I think Jill covered it pretty well, as did several. The stress I have had for most of my life, other than having to spend each day doing something I didn't want to do (work), was doing something I was born in to, Steve. The stress of trying to be masculine, when I was so darn femine, practically killed me. I can't say that dressing doesn't just relax some people and that's it. But for me it's not dressing, it's being me, Denise, that changed my life, and eliminated a major part of my stress. For me, at least, I don't CD to feel good, as Denise, I CD to be me. The life I had of not being me is what caused my stress.

With all my love and respect for each and every one of you,:love:
Denise

Joanna-Louise
11-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Hiya,

You have stumbled ona question that i think we all have to ask ourselves everyday.

To be over stressed can lead to medical complaints like heart issues etc etc, if you have found a way to vent stress (like myself) by getting dressed as a woman, (im sure some will agree at times the stress just vanishes and you feel ready to fight the world again when you return to bloke mode).

However like its already been posted within this thread it can also iinduce more stress, more so if your in the closet or your SO doesn't agree with you being dressed around her, you suddenly realise its not always going to be a stress relief and therfore end up creating more stress.

I don't think there will be a correct answer within this question, other than it depends on the cd's / ts's life style and what they are allowed to do / not to do...

(am i making sense :) lol)

Jo
xx

sybercom11
11-27-2007, 12:30 PM
i agree with angela. it is my great stress reliever. and i have this lifelong desire to be a girl bottled up inside of me. since SRS has always been out of the question for me, i still have to feel girlie any way i can.

Vivian Best
11-27-2007, 01:02 PM
This has been touched on both ways! There are those that CDing is a way of life for them and it's natural and they do it because they need to with absolutely no stress and in fact is a stress reliever. Now, on the other hand there are those that need to CD and are not able to do so and that in itself causes stress. There are those that do CD and afterwards are stress because the did it and that causes stress. Personally, I have stress, not because I CD, it's because my wife does not accept. Go figure.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
11-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts- I guess I didn't consider the fact that there are lots of stresses involved in being a CD- hiding it, bringing it up in relationships, etc.

I guess it really does depend what kind of a situation we're in.
Yes indeed!

I think my stress levels go way down when I'm dressed. I sure know that I feel better for a long time afterwards

MarinaTwelve200
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
It would be an interesting study to do: Do more effeminate men live longer than more masculine men” I think that the stresses of life compounded with the stresses of striving to live up to a silent, masculine image could certainly take their toll.
So maybe the next time someone notices that I like to wear panties, I’ll just say that I’m trying to increase my longevity. :tongueout

(Sorry if this post didn’t feel very conversational, I wrote it on my laptop on an airplane to pass the time. Still 1 hour to go!)

Well, as a Hetro "Escapist" who CDs to get away from my normal self and identity, I see it as the ultimate stress releiver---both of personal concerns and also the stresses of one's "male image". I CD to essentially take short vacations from myself---not necessarily "to be a woman" or go to some "fem side".

I can see how such stress releif could be benificial. Indeed I think that lots of "Problem drinkers" try to use alchohol to do the same thing---and causing even more problems. I often speculate that many guys feel a NEED to escape from themselves for a while---We luck ones have found CDing (and others stage acting) can do this in a harmless way, but Drinking is the only "permissable" method of "detachment" for way too many people.:drink:

I wonder if I would become an Alcholic if I didnt CD? I wonder if CDing is what kept me from being an alcoholic, being that it ran in my family?

Rita B
11-27-2007, 07:47 PM
I couldn't say whether it releases stress or makes us live longer. I know it makes us look younger which is nice. I agree with you about having someone to share one's innermost feelings and thoughts and I do a lot of this, some of it with friends and some on the forum. part of my joy of dressing is getting together with other girls.

jacky83
12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I went from 210 to 160 and then told my wife I liked to dress. She said I lost my weight so I could fit into my skirts. I think crossdressing could possibly be labeled as a health activity like pilates, aerobics or jogging! (BTW I've been doing pilates since I lost the weight)

rachel_mead
12-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately if anything I suspect the life expectancy of said group is lower due to the risk factors such as hate crimes, risky sexual behavior...:2c:
Regards,
Rachel

docrobbysherry
12-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, as a Hetro "Escapist" who CDs to get away from my normal self and identity, I see it as the ultimate stress releiver---both of personal concerns and also the stresses of one's "male image". I CD to essentially take short vacations from myself---not necessarily "to be a woman" or go to some "fem side".

I can see how such stress releif could be benificial. Indeed I think that lots of "Problem drinkers" try to use alchohol to do the same thing---and causing even more problems. I often speculate that many guys feel a NEED to escape from themselves for a while---We luck ones have found CDing (and others stage acting) can do this in a harmless way, but Drinking is the only "permissable" method of "detachment" for way too many people.:drink:

I wonder if I would become an Alcholic if I didnt CD? I wonder if CDing is what kept me from being an alcoholic, being that it ran in my family?

I dropped about 15 lbs. to look better in my dresses. As part of that routine. I drink less since my CDing increased 3 months ago. However, I stopped working out. My arms look too masculine as it is!
RS

Violet
12-01-2007, 12:18 PM
What a fascinating question, Lisa, and one I hadn't thought of! I think you touched upon something very important in your original post in that men do not have as many outlets for emotional expression as women. Whether CDing can alleviate that for people is dependant on their own personal situations; it's definitely a high-stress endeavor for a lot of CDs. I do think, though, that the hypothesis of women living longer because they have more outlets for emotional stress is a compelling one.

It seems to me that society is the biggest problem here. Men are traditionally supposed to be, well, masculine (for lack of a better word) and that is traditionally seen as not crying, keeping a stiff upper lip, etc. I wonder if men and women were both encouraged from a young age to express themselves and all aspects of their personality, there would be less shame and secrecy surrounding it all. I know in my house, growing up, I used to walk around with my dad in a Burger King crown with my Fisher Price hammer and would "help" him with all his remodelling projects. My brother, on the other hand, liked to dress up with me, in my clothes, and pretend to be my little sister, "Jennifer." (I've recently wondered if he might be a closet cross-dresser, having learned about so many of your experiences as young children.) My parents encouraged both of us to explore and feel the full range of our emotions and to push the boudaries of what was deemed "socially acceptable" for a little girl or a little boy. I think we are both more mentally healthy people in regards to our gender identities because we were allowed to have that exploration.

Perhaps, in the uptopian future, sex and gender won't be such rigidly defined roles. Men will be able to cry and wear skirts if they want and women will get equal rights and shares in the workplace. Hey, it's something to strive towards, right? I know that if my (future, hypothetical) son wants to wear nail polish, he will wear nailpolish. If my (future, hypothetical) daughter wants to learn how to take apart engines, she will. Both will be encouraged to explore ALL of themselves, the feminine and the masculine.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Perhaps, in the uptopian future, sex and gender won't be such rigidly defined roles. Men will be able to cry and wear skirts if they want and women will get equal rights and shares in the workplace. Hey, it's something to strive towards, right? I know that if my (future, hypothetical) son wants to wear nail polish, he will wear nailpolish. If my (future, hypothetical) daughter wants to learn how to take apart engines, she will. Both will be encouraged to explore ALL of themselves, the feminine and the masculine.

The world REALLY needs more women like you in it, Violet

TxKimberly
12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I can tell you that in many ways it has been very good for me, both mental and physical. Most of my adult life I have been VERY shy and found it very difficult to meet and interact with people. Once you have screwed up the guts to go outside dressed, all of that doesn't seem to matter any more. You have just taken the biggest social plunge possible - whats left to be nervous about? I have now met probably close to a dozen Tgirls (and a few of their wives) on this forum and I'll bet they never knew that the person they were talking to you used to get sick to their stomach just THINKING about meeting others. There is no way my getting rid of this anxiety has not helped me.
Also, as you alluded to, I devote effort to keeping in shape, and the truth is I do it mostly so that I can look decent as Kim. In boy mode, I really couldn't care less if I have a tummy or love handles. In girl mode, that's just not gonna cut it for me. ;-)

Staci
12-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Since I have an accepting spouse it does provide a great sense of relaxation. I am able to be me the man and Staci both without a feeling of stress. It is clear that when I dress as Staci that I shed a lot of my stress. I do think about my weight as I would not want to buy an entirely new wardrobe. So being a CD and dressing as Staci I know helps me to relax and should increase my lifespan.

annieelmira
12-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm with you there - I was on antidepressants for several years, but since I stopped taking them I've started crossdressing more, and it seems to be a drug-free antidote to depression (or at least part of a drug-free approach to depression)

Cross-Dressing...MY ANTI_DRUG....

Oh how the ONDCP would love this one :)