PDA

View Full Version : Conditioned Response

Alice B
11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Yesterday I was responding to a post about smoking when dressed and pointed out that it is a conditioned response due to the way smoking is marketed. Then last night I realized (duh) that what we want in clothing, how we want to dress, etc. is also a result of advertising and the beautification of woman to create a desire to look like the models in the ads. Thus, we are no different that regular gg's. We want to look beautiful like the models, thus purchase their products, ie; Victoria's Secret. We want that bra because it will makes us beautiful, although no one will see it. We want that dress, skirt, top, etc. because we want to look beautiful like the model shown wearing it. Even if it is not made in our size, or we are not the right body shape, or too old/young. I look at some of the pictures I see posted on our site and say "damm, I want to look like that. Beautiful" knowing well I can't, am jealous of those that have "the body and look", yet I respect their ability to be able to pull the look off. I realize I am conditioned by advertising and that I have to tone myself down and be realistic about what I can and can not do. Thus I just might save a little money, instead of buying things on impulse that never get worn, or tossed or given away, new. Just a thought for all to ponder.:love:

Kate Simmons
11-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Funny you mentioned that Alice. I realized it a while ago. I sit here at the computer and listen to (not watch) TV, mostly CNN. Anyway, while listening, I hear these advertisements and by not watching the video of it, I debunk most of them. The visual does most of the selling as you say. Just listening, I rip these ads to pieces and laugh at myself for having been led by them before. It's programming plain and simple. They tell us what to wear, what to eat, what to drive, the best way to clean our toilet,what meds to take (you need 'em after the news) etc. Everything is an innovation and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Amazing when you finally realize this. I save a lot of money that way.:p

Veronica 1
11-27-2007, 08:27 PM
This is very true. Marketers try to glamorize whatever it is they are selling by tempting us with images of beauty and glamor that make us see ourselves as the models on the tube. To take it to the extreme, just watch the toy commercials that are directed at the kids. The visual effects are almost hypnotic and are meant to be. My sales and marketing teacher in collage called them 60 second hypnotherapy sessions.

vikki2020
11-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah, most of the people out there are just like sheep.And it gets worse as all the media outlets get consolidated into a few corporations.Independent movies and music are getting pushed out, and all we get is a bunch of garbage, for the most part.And who says kids don't listen? They'll do any thing they are told, as long as they heard it on TV.

RobertaFermina
11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
At least I know how to prepare for an outing and can anticipate how many will respond to my ConDition !

:rose: Ring My Bell? :rose:

suzanne
11-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Marketing people want you to fell as though you NEED their product, mainly by intimidating you into thinking you are worthless without it. "How could you possibly compete with the goddess pictured here without our new bra?"

I have taught my children that the word 'need' is to be used very carefully. They have discovered that while they may sometimes need a new pair of shoes , they don't 'need' an eighty-seventh pair to follow some trend. Just thinking about where and when the word is appropriate makes them a little less vulnerable to the rampant marketing we face.

trannie T
11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Those advertising guys don't get paid all that money by being ineffective. Tobacco companies can not sucessfully market lung cancer, heart disease, COPD and the fact that their ciagrettes kill hundreds of thousands of Americans every year. They can market sex, and they can associate their product with "The Good Life."

Patricia Danielle
11-29-2007, 05:00 AM
I always knew the first line to start We the People but I guess to most it starts out We the sheeple. Kind of makes ya wonder don't it?..Patricia..

docrobbysherry
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
This is very true. Marketers try to glamorize whatever it is they are selling by tempting us with images of beauty and glamor that make us see ourselves as the models on the tube. To take it to the extreme, just watch the toy commercials that are directed at the kids. The visual effects are almost hypnotic and are meant to be. My sales and marketing teacher in collage called them 60 second hypnotherapy sessions.

U can probably tell from my pics that I was raised on the belief Monroe, Mansfeild, etc. were the ideal beautiful women. It bothers me to today, not being attracted to nice women that I don't think r very pretty. But, that is how I am, like it or not.
I'm trying to help my child NOT be subjected to mass marketing. When I am in the room, no one is allowed to watch commercials. Even if it means switching to some terribly boring channel for a few minutes! I hope that helps in a small way, at least.
By the way, if u have a chance to see "Enchanted", do it! Amy Adams is a knockout!
RS