PDA

View Full Version : Making your own clothes when you were younger

1950sclothes
11-29-2007, 03:34 AM
As I have said, I've crossed dressed since I was about 5 years old. Up until I was 14, I wore my sister's clothes, but when she left home to get married, I was lost.

I never wore my mother's stuff because she always used to lock the bedroom door (I think she kept money in there. ;) ) Anyway, her stuff was sparse and never really appealed to me.

I did once teach myself sewing skills, would buy material and make skirts. I was too shy to buy hosiery, but since I was 15 I didn't need to shave my legs.

Once I even made a dress from an old bed sheet!:eek::devil:

daviolin
12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I never made clothes when I was young. I allways had a over ubundence of things to wear. Thank you Mother and Sister. Now that I'm older I find it gratifing making my own clothes. I don't make evrything I wear because shopping is to much fun. I will buy a lot of things at garage sales really cheap and take them home and alter and cut and sew and just have a grand old time creating pretty outfits.(sometimes I think I should of become a dress designer). If you have the time try it. If you are at all creative you would be suprised at what you can come up with. And you can say when you look in the mirror. I MADE THAT. :hugs:Daviolin

EDNA
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Sorry I did not make my Clothers. My mother that made Bridal Gowns and disigned them. For a well known Catalog Company. Made most of my Clothes.

Vivian Best
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I grew up in the 1940s and 50s and most the girls clothes were home made. During the early part of that time they were made from flour (cooking flour) sacks. The sacks were made for the purpose of making clothing after delivering the flour to the end user and were nicely designed and it worked well for that purpose. Boys shirts were also made if the woman of the house was good at sewing. To answer your question, I have don't have the talent or desire to made any clothing. I shaved my legs for years but quit sometime ago because it disturbed my wife.

Cristi
12-03-2007, 07:44 PM
When I was about 12, I wanted a short skirt REALLY badly but my sisters didn't own anything at all like what I was looking for. I finally took a pair of scissors to some cut-off jean shorts and did a pretty crude conversion of them into a skirt by cutting it open between the legs, taking out some of the excess material, then sewing things back up.

I didn't have a clue what I was doing with a needle and thread... but after a lot of work I managed to make something that resembled a short jean skirt :D

The 'bonus' was that from a distance it still looked like a pair of shorts, so I even dared to go outside with it a few times. It eventually fell apart, but by that time I had found a nice tartan pleated short skirt in a bag of my sister's old clothes stored in the attic.

Ann D Bluebird
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
:heehee: Me too: with a pair of old trousers (aka "pants")

I did
a pretty crude conversion of them into a skirt by cutting it open between the legs, taking out some of the excess material, then sewing things back up. before I plucked up courage to BUY a skirt myself.....not long afterwards!!! And Oh! How I wish I'd had skirts of my own sooner in life!!

Denise Barrett
12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi 1950s, :heehee::hugs:

Right now I have a sewing machine I just took out of the box a month ago, 8 patterns I bought online, and some red silk and spandex material; enough to make several dresses, skirts, whatever. Now, all I need, is the time.

But like you, I made a long evening skirt out of satin sheets I once owned. It fit great, but didn't realize how sheer it was; could tell the color of my underwear. Oh well, practice makes perfect, or is it, practice makes it boring? :heehee:

Have a wonderful and happy holiday.

All my love and respect, :love:
Denise

MarciManseau
12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I once took a skirt of my sister's and used it for a pattern, then hand sewed a new skirt from a nice wool fabric I found for like $1. I took the zipper out of an old skirt. It actually turned out well :) I was only 15 at the time.

Hugs, Marci``:hugs:

Julie York
12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
(Maaaaany years ago.......wibbly wibbly time travel effects....)

Hmm...thinks....

If I cut the legs off these jeans and then cut the crotch across it will make a denim mini skirt! Yeah!

Cut cut cut.

WTF....I'm deformed! NO-ONE is this shape!! I look like a Levi Apache!!

Cut cut cut.

Well...as a skirt...No.......as a belt.....maybe.

(In the bin)

So yes...'bin' there done that.

:D