PDA

View Full Version : Gender rigidness, an observation

Wren
11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a habit of saying things where I refer to myself in the male pronoun in daily life. such as:

Innocent bystander friend: "Wren you made a mistake!!"
Wren: "Yes, and I'm man enough to admit it"

Every time I do this type of thing whoever I am talking to looks at me and says.. "uh, don't you mean woman?"

I like referring to myself by male pronouns while being otherwise expressively female. I've not had one person just go along with it without questioning though...

Cai
11-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Really? I call myself things like "the king of procrastination" and such, and nobody questions it. People must actually listen to you :heehee:.

Seriously though. I don't understand why people feel the need to correct you, especially since "man" can be a general term for "human being".

Kieron Andrew
11-29-2007, 09:03 PM
if it was me, id challenge it and out myself(and have done), but hey thats just me

Wren
11-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Really? I call myself things like "the king of procrastination" and such, and nobody questions it. People must actually listen to you :heehee:.

Seriously though. I don't understand why people feel the need to correct you, especially since "man" can be a general term for "human being".

Maybe king has an all encompassing meaning of 'best and highest of all'? Because I doubt people are listening to anything when I talk.

Yes my usual answer is "you know male, as in all human beings by a 19th century viewpoint". Or "no I meant man...and...the problem with this is.." and usually they stop talking outright.

if it was me, id challenge it and out myself(and have done), but hey thats just me

Hehe, yeah I would if I was trying to pass, but I'm usually not. I find it moderately insulting that as a woman I can't be a man too or genderless? Ok now I'm confused.. Although I could Yell "YOU KNOW I'M A CROSSDRESSER SOMETIMES!!" hmm, that might make my day more interesting...

Which reminds me.. I always hold the door open for people, and a large percentage of men refuse to walk through and some act moderately offended. THis happened with a co-worker whom I got stuck in a 'no you first' situation with , and he finally said, "well I'm not much of a man, and you're a fairly boyish girl, but you're still more woman than I am".

I thought it was just courtesy not chivalry..

Kieron Andrew
11-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Although I could Yell "YOU KNOW I'M A CROSSDRESSER SOMETIMES!!" hmm, that might make my day more interesting...

yeah! see!, now you got it lol, that would work!:heehee:

Cai
11-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Which reminds me.. I always hold the door open for people, and a large percentage of men refuse to walk through and some act moderately offended. THis happened with a co-worker whom I got stuck in a 'no you first' situation with , and he finally said, "well I'm not much of a man, and you're a fairly boyish girl, but you're still more woman than I am".

I thought it was just courtesy not chivalry..

My retaliation for getting doors held for me (in a condescending fashion - you know, where they stand there until you're completely past so you never touch the door) is to do the same with the next door I go through, for them. :heehee:

Of course, I'm almost as bad. My roommate's given up on me - I always insist on carrying the heavier grocery bags and such. And I always give up my coat the minute someone complains of the cold, despite the fact that I'm probably cold too. :rolleyes: It comes out more when I'm out places.

Wren
11-29-2007, 10:05 PM
yeah! see!, now you got it lol, that would work!:heehee:

Hehe, In a way I feel like I'm standing up for all non-crossdressing women who wish to identify as 'kings' and or other non female gendered pronouns... If there are any? (I'm sure there are, there's a bit of everything out there) In daily life I tend to forget that I like being a boy sometimes.. It's like a fabulous split personality where they keep each other exclusively seperate. confused again...

Leo Lane
12-05-2007, 01:53 AM
My retaliation for getting doors held for me (in a condescending fashion - you know, where they stand there until you're completely past so you never touch the door) is to do the same with the next door I go through, for them. :heehee:

Of course, I'm almost as bad. My roommate's given up on me - I always insist on carrying the heavier grocery bags and such. And I always give up my coat the minute someone complains of the cold, despite the fact that I'm probably cold too. :rolleyes: It comes out more when I'm out places.

Me too, Cai, me too!

On a vaguely related note, it irritates me when PC people criticise me for using 'he' as a generic pronoun. It's far preferable to the cumbrous 'he or she' or the incorrect 'they'.

kerrianna
12-05-2007, 02:41 AM
I have a habit of saying things where I refer to myself in the male pronoun in daily life. such as:

Innocent bystander friend: "Wren you made a mistake!!"
Wren: "Yes, and I'm man enough to admit it"

Every time I do this type of thing whoever I am talking to looks at me and says.. "uh, don't you mean woman?"

I like referring to myself by male pronouns while being otherwise expressively female. I've not had one person just go along with it without questioning though...

:D Cool Wren! I keep catching myself at the last second from doing the same except reversed, referring to myself with the female pronoun when I am otherwise expressively male. I really want to just say it, so maybe now I will.
The closest I have come is on occasion refuting the obvious pronoun, for example "You're the man we were waiting for." to which I replied "Yeah, but I'm not a man." and everyone kind of chuckled and said "ohhhkayyy" People are weird when you mess with their assumptions.

:battingeyelashes: Oh Caiiii! You can do all those things for me anyday! I like a considerate and kind man. :daydreaming:

brrrrr....it's cold here... :battingeyelashes:

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
12-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Sade referred to herself as "king of sorrow" in one of her songs..

Drake
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey, I do this. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember actually.
I've used that King of procrastination line too. Using male pronouns is an excellent way to out yourself without it being too awkward. Well, not as awkward anyway.

Felix
12-09-2007, 03:16 PM
This is an interesting thread...Since I had my hair cut the gay men on the scene tend to ask me are you a boy or a girl I just answer I am Felix lol!!! :hugs: