PDA

View Full Version : Self-service check-outs

Lorna
11-30-2007, 05:36 AM
More and more supermarkets now have self-service check outs. In local Asda and Tesco stores there is a good range of clothing and shoes and I am tempted to buy and then use the self-service check-out to avoid both the attention of the cashier and also the curiosity of others in the queue. However, I know that some items, usually higher-priced ones, often have security devices attached which have to be removed or de-activated at the check out. I am worried that I might scan such an item and then find that I have to call the assistant (there's always one nearby watching to see that customers scan all their items) to get a tag removed. Does anyone know whether all clothing ins these stores is tagged? Is the tag always visible (so that I could avoid buying tagged items)? In case of doubt, let me be clear that I don't want to steal anything - I would just prefer to avoid attracting attention.

Mollyanne
11-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Hi Lorna, well here in the usa we to have self-service checkouts, and yes the higher priced items do have the security tags. Actually its no big deal, you pay, they come over and remove the tag. If anyone does say something like nice color or is that the right size just look them in the eye, smile and say yes it is why? There is nothing to be ashamed about, if the items are feminine which I'm sure they are and someone pushes the envelop just say it is for your wife or GF, whats the big deal?????

:love: Mollyanne

PS: went to buy pantyhose(tights)the other day & the cashier asked if they were for me and I said yes with a big smile on my face and that ended that!!!!

Angela Burke
11-30-2007, 05:49 AM
I think all items are elctronically tagged or recorded in some way. I don't see why you're worried about having tags removed from clothing items, that's what the sales assistants are there for. If your worried about getting spotted buying female items go to a non-local branch. You don't say where in the SW of England you are but I live in NE Scotland and you can't get moving for branches of Asda, Tesco and their myriad of competitors.
I like the Asda stuff as well, I bought two skirts there last weekend.

Littlej10
11-30-2007, 06:28 AM
I have used Asda for clothes shopping and had no problems with any of the staff or customers. Most don't take any notice, they probably assume the items are for your partner. I have been through the normal checkout and had a conversation about the purchases with another customer, all very friendly. I assume you are shopping in drab as I was.

Joanne f
11-30-2007, 06:52 AM
I think Tesco have removable tags but Asda just have bar codes that are deactivated when you scan them, i got caught out one day as the alarm went of as i was going throu the doorway, they just checked it with the receipt and said ok i could say luckily i had my wife with me but she did say " well it is for him" if i get anything from Asda i always try it on first they do not mind so there is no problem going throu the checkouts some times they smile and ask is it for you and i just say yes, i just do not care any more :D,
of course you could always have it announced over the store intercom, man in blue shirt going throu checkout 5 is buying that dress for him self :D

joanne

Wynter Skye
11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
I actually service those machines and depending on the store you're at, more than likely they can see what you scan remotely on a computer screen or small hand held device anyway. doesn't make much difference if they come over to see it firsthand.

Sandra
11-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Don't worry if they are tagged, the assistants aren't bothered that a male is buying them, their just doing their job.

Melinda G
11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
"Unexpected item! Please wait for assistance.:D:D:D

Monica Santos
11-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I am married and am secure about myself. I am starting to "just buy" what I want through the regular check out...boots, etc...I usually say "I wear a 12" even though I am buying a womens 11, which fits. Most cashiers don't give me that look. It is usually in your imagination since we tend to be sefl conscience about CDing.

Nicole Erin
11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Don't worry if they are tagged, the assistants aren't bothered that a male is buying them, their just doing their job.

Yes, and trust me, cashiers hate their jobs.
They do not care what anyone is buying.

And most items will have a tag that you can find, cause they want to make it evident that you would be wasting your time trying to steal it.

SandyR
11-30-2007, 09:19 PM
I have baught many items in the self check out, did have one time when the system went down and the sa had to help out. She was very cool when ringing up my hose, makeup, and size 11 3" pumps....

SandyR

celtic.blue.eyes
11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I think a lot of your fears are in your own head. Today I did some Christmas shopping for my wife, in 8 different stores, plus a trip to Lowes (a home center) for myself. In those 8 stores I bought nothing but fem items - such as pantyhose, makeup, underwear, etc.

Now, before I left, one of my objectives was to see how far I could "push the envelope". I did not try to present myself as female in any way, but my attire was all female. Smallish breast forms, pantyhose (no socks), chunky heeled Bandolino loafers, flared trousers, a tee shirt that was very obviously from the ladies department, with a paisley shirt over that. The outer coat was a ladies Brooks Brothers pea coat with a cute feminine cut to it, and a Fossil organizer bag. The colors all coordinated well.

All the time I was shopping, I stayed very discretely aware of those around me, to see if there were any looks, comments or whatever. The only event was that a worker in (a male) Wally World very spontaneously complimented me on my coat. Other than that, I just went about my business just like any other shopper - completely unnoticed. This Monday, I'm going to push it further....

The only explanation I can offer is that I just don't really care any more. A few years ago, I would have been absolutely mortified if anyone noticed. Now, if anyone said that an article of my clothing was a woman's, my only response would be "Not any more they're not", or "So what, I like the look!"

I have a feeling that you are probably a lot more paranoid than you should be, and that your own outlook is putting a damper on your enjoyment of this side of you. Just my 2ยข worth!

Billijo49504
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
OK, I'll say it, wimp!!! Go for the gusto, walk up to a cashier and put your items down, and if asked if these are for a gift, say NO, they are for me, and watch them shrink under the counter....BJ

Melinda G
11-30-2007, 11:28 PM
This is a great time to buy ourselves stuff. I just ask for a gift receipt, for certain purchases. Also around Valentines Day, Sweetest Day, and Halloween are good times to buy yourself stuff.

Jocelyn Quivers
11-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Not to make you any more nervous about using self checkouts, every self checkout I've used so far, Wal-Mart, Krogers there is usually an employee at manning a register which controls all of the self checkouts. The purpose is to help customers with any problems such as verifying age for alcohol purchases, difficulities with the machine taking payments etc. The employee can bascialy see what is being scanned at each self checkout. So basicaly that employee can see every pair of pantyhose or make up that I purchase. Oh well, I still consider it easier than actually handing the items to the employee. :o

Melinda G
12-01-2007, 12:14 AM
It's been my experience that the one employee watching over four self checkouts spends more time at the various self checkouts assisting customers, than watching your purchases. Somebody always has a problem at those things.

marny
12-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Ahh! To be a cashier and bust cd's for buying bras and panties! What a dream. :rofl:

noname
12-01-2007, 03:47 AM
Just go buy your clothes. Really the cashier does not care. If they do, they really don't have much going on in life.

Monica Santos
12-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I've read and experianced many comments on the thread. Many times, attendents are usually doing "other things" than tending the control station. Often they are chatting it up with other employees, pricing/coding store items into their system (not costumers items), assisting customers with "problems". I use to be paronoid, but the reality is that, unless a cashier is homophobic/insecure about his own sexuality, it's unlikley there will ever be a problem. They just don't care...unless your next door neighbor is right behind you in the check out line!

:2c:

Monica

Joanna-Louise
12-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Ive found in asda and tesco its usually the packs of underware that is tagged aswell as the "higer" priced clothing..

tbh i prefer going to the checkout with a cashier on, at least then no alarms are going to go off (unless of course they forget), besides i love seeing the reaction on the girls face when she tells me about the refund/exchange policy :heehee:

EDNA
12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Yes! All stores are ordered. To put Security Tags on thier clothes and only the checkout person. Is allowed to remove them. So if someone should remove the tag and walks out the door. Thay can not say. I forgot I had that.

I shop at Wal-Mart and have no problem. Plus the girls that know I am a CD.
Sometimes states that will look good on you. Otherwise a checkout person. do not care who buys what. They just was your money. So they can keep thier job.

shauna 9
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Just go buy your clothes. Really the cashier does not care.

Lorna
12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
My thanks to all who took the trouble to answer my query. There were several points I hadn't considered and some useful "inside" information, too. (I reiterate that I have no intention of stealing anything).
It is, of course, for others to decide whether my concerns make me a wimp but, for the record, all the female clothes I own, skirts, tops, dresses, stocking, tights, bras, slips, knickers, girdles and shoes, I have bought myself, in person in retail shops. My interest in self-service checkouts was not because I cannot face buying clothes but because, for me, it is so much quicker, easier, more convenient, etc. to go to a big supermarket than to the other kinds of shops selling a good range of women's clothes. In those other shops it is usually possible to avoid being in a slow-moving queue with lots of other people around while I buy (and even discuss) the clothes but in supermarkets the standard check-outs can be very busy. I merely wanted to assess whether self-service would be easier. I'll try it out soon! Thanks again.:happy:

Vivian Best
12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
I've purchased all types of feminine clothing from many different stores and have never had anyone even blink an eye when I purchased them. I've purchased bras, panties, jeans, pantyhose, slips and on and on. Just go do it and don't worry about it. Most of the time we are our own worst enemy when we go to thinking about something like this.

loki_uk
12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Why worry it's not like the security watching the self service have a tranny alert alarm or do they..... :eek:

angelfire
12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
There is only 1 place in my city that I know of that has self-serve checkouts, and it is a grocery store. I happen to know a bunch of people who work there, so even if it is self serve, it isn't worth the added risk of running into someone I know.

Jocelyn Quivers
12-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Why worry it's not like the security watching the self service have a tranny alert alarm or do they..... :eek:

OMG loki you haven't heard of the tranny alert alarm system, they are practically everywhere.:devil:

trannie T
12-04-2007, 12:40 AM
I usually have trouble with the self checkouts so I just go to a human cashier. I give them my items run my ATM card through the machine and leave. I walk out the door quickly before the Trannie Alert Alarm System notifies the Transvestite Police.

Roxi Loh
12-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I love self check out for buying makeup and such...it just eliminates the issue.

JoAnnDallas
12-04-2007, 10:18 AM
I use both self-check out and the normal check out.

kymmieLorain
12-04-2007, 10:48 AM
working for the biggest retailer on the planet, (wally world) I get an insite on purchases. Even if you are using a self checkout there are cameras over head watching. For me I don't worry about it. a purchase is a purchase be it a pair of panties or a box of ammo it is just a purchase.

At waly world most security tags are the small magnetic ones that you disable yourself.

Kymmie

Marie O
01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I have made many purchases, No one has ever questioned my purchases from clothing to makeup! I go through the checkout line.

Eugenie
01-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Unless someone you know (and that you haven't come out to) is working in that place and you fear that she/he might be curious about what you bought, why should you care that a sales attendant, a security warden or any unknown individual may find out that you bought girly stuff?

I buy women apparel, underwear, skirts, blouses, tops, high heel shoes and don't care what people may think... I'm doing no harm to anybody...

:hugs:
Eugenie

Sinthia
01-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Ahh! To be a cashier and bust cd's for buying bras and panties! What a dream. :rofl:

Marny . . . You sadist . . . just joking!

heidi99
01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
OK, I'll say it, wimp!!! Go for the gusto, walk up to a cashier and put your items down, and if asked if these are for a gift, say NO, they are for me, and watch them shrink under the counter....BJ

There truly is great advice on this forum. I was in Wal-Mart for some cold cream (first time purchasing that product) the other night. There happened to be an employee stocking on that very aisle. At first I thought, drat, whole purpose of going late at night was to not attract attention. So, I was on the aisle, went up and down the aisle a couple of times. She asked if she could help. I gathered the strength, smiled, looked her in the eye, and said, "Yes, I'm looking for cold creme." She pointed it out to me. A few moments later, I selected what I wanted, turned, said thank you and walked away. Seriously, all anyone can do is say a few words. Can words give you a black eye? No! All they can do is turn your attention on yourself (if you let them), so DON'T LET THEM. You're not doing anything wrong!!!

Traci_Ann CD
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
A few weeks ago, I went to a neighboring town about 20 minutes away from the town I live in, went to their local Wal-Mart and bought my first pair of pantyhose (a pair of black/long Vassarette Silky Sheer Thigh Highs) and went through the regular check out. I did tho buy some other items (like some fuel treatment, some mouthwash and some pop) to off-set the pantyhose purchase but all went well. Nothing was said.

Then a few days ago...I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought my first bottle of fingernail polish. I went in and looked at all the different kinds, colors, etc and didn't even blink an eye as to who was watching, etc.

So after this past two shopping excursions.....my confidence level about buying womanly items is getting better. I still may end up buying items on-line because I find some very nice items that I like better on-line than I can off-line but at least now....I'm beginning to feel better about purchasing items in person.

Mary Morgan
01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
The only place I have experienced self-service checkout is WalMart, and I have used it to buy virtually any type of clothing or longerie without incident. I have found that bras for one do have a security tab inside the packaging and I have had to have an assist come to my checkout and deal with it from time to time. Whether in drab or not, it has not been a problem so I wouldn't think twice about it. Enjoy.

MsToriJones
01-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I must ask this:

HEY YOU THAT WERE BORN MALE....have you EVER bought a gift for a woman? something that is totally fem? a night gown? earrings? run to the store for the wife or girlfriend to by something?

I go to the store and buy my husband's clothing, he has purchased items for me, NEVER has anyone thought anything of it. MEN BUY GIFTS FOR WOMEN all the time. Stop thinking that you will get "caught" if someone sees you, SO WHAT, you could be buying a gift. STOP making it more than it is, YOU are just buying something.

If I see a guy picking out a dress, even if he puts it up against himself I think nothing of it, I know men who are very close in size to their wife and that is how they judge the sizing on things. When my stepson and I wore the same size shoe, I would try on shoes to buy for him. No big deal, just a person buying goods.

NOTHING in this post was intended to offend, just posted to get you thinking in hopes of helping

LisaRaye
01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
i feel you on that but what i realize a where i going shopping is, just relax and be yourself and everything will be fine. i have no problem with the way i feel anymore when i go shopping i see something and i know my size and i just go get it. and will return it if it dont fit right. be strong

Carvery Carly
01-12-2008, 07:11 PM
When ever I go to Tesco's to purchase goods, I have a quick scout around first then try and casually get what ever I wish to buy as quick as possible into my trolley/basket and then move on to the next isle and put something else in with it. Then when I get to the check-out, put whatever female garment I've got in between the other items then just put them into bags and pay as normal. Once when I brought a 3/4 length cardi, the SA asked if I wanted the hanger, I just replied "No thanks". Paid and left the store. However, I could feel my self getting hotter and hotter as by the time I got half way through purchases, someone else had joined my line and kept thinking to myself "What if they see what I've brought on the little screen that shows whats been brought."
But once, I've paid and left the store, I feel so elated that I've brought something female and no-ones said anything and then tell myself off for being so silly for worrying about what others think.
So far, as well as the cardi mentioned above, I've brought some boots, knickers and jeans from Tesco's and no-ones batted an eye-lid. Now I can't wait to go again and see what else I could buy, maybe next time a new bra or shoes (luckily I'm a size 6 in drab mode as well as femme). Haven't tried trying anything on in store yet, just guess my size which I usually get right.
Another way to get round people wondering about you looking at womens clothes is to pretend your looking for your SO. Tried this one a few times.

nancyjtv
01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I know the feeling. When I was married and shopping for something for my wife I didn't give it a second thought. But when buying something for myself I was worried and thought they would know it was for me.

I still have a little of it but I'm getting more confidence and shopping more. I've even found a store the seals cosmetics. I asked several of the sales ladies and told them it was for me. The usual comment was 'COOL'. Then we went on to finding the right color and produced for me.

But it's taking time to get to this point.

Nancy

bEEb
01-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I swear that there is a huge flashing neon "Pervert" sign ... a steam whistle... and submarine Klaxon ...that goes off EVERY time I try to buy a female item!:D

kimberly ann487
01-13-2008, 10:16 AM
I love self check-out no direct contact with a human. Great for cosmetics a Wal-Mart !:heehee:
KIM:happy:

MsToriJones
01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I swear that there is a huge flashing neon "Pervert" sign ... a steam whistle... and submarine Klaxon ...that goes off EVERY time I try to buy a female item!:D

Nope no bells, no whistles, no flashing lights, nothing.....pretend you are buying them for ME just in your size ;)

mackemlass
01-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I use both self-check out and the normal check out.

So do I,but my decision on which one to use is,more often than not,based on the size of the queues and whether or not I'm in a hurry. I ceased caring what cashiers thought ages ago.

JoAnnDallas
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
A few days ago, wife called me on my cell to pick up her perscription at the local pharmcy. As I was walking thru the cosmetic ailse, I noticed that they were having a BOGO FREE lipstick sell. So I picked up four tubes and then went and picked up my wife's perscription. I paid for all of it at the perscription counter and the GG SA did not say a word.
I have found that 98% of the SA's or checkout people will not bat an eye when a man buys fem items.

Farrah
01-14-2008, 10:25 AM
I've bought bras at wal mart and target. I was so nervous the first time I did so. The woman just scanned the bra and took my money and that was it. She might have asked herself why is this guy buying a bra? She never once looked at me strange. I love buying my own garments (the few times i've done it) It makes you feel so liberated!!!(LOL)

susiej
01-15-2008, 01:05 AM
I've bought bras at "chez target" a few times. I use the checkouts with human operators just because I don't want to appear like I'm hiding something, that is, looking furtive or nervous, avoiding human contact. One reason for this is I don't want somebody to think I've got something more valuable in my pocket, or inside my pants, and am attempting to shoplift. This could get me a seance with the store manager, or worse, the police.

Look 'em in the eye and make small talk. If you're nervous, imagine you're buying for your aging aunt, who's stuck in a nursing home :) .

Hugs,
Susie

Melissa Cross
01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
I have never had a problem shopping for women's things while in drab. Nobody has ever said anything to me. One time a cashier at Walmart seemed to really look me over when I was checking out with a lot of lingerie and make up but she didn't say anything. When I'm holding up dresses and skirts to check them out, other shoppers have never said anything to me either.

PS: I'm still trying to get up the nerve to go shopping en femme!

Melissa in Connecticut

Christina Louise
01-15-2008, 08:20 AM
I've just started using self-service checkouts for a couple of items and whilst there was sometimes a girl at a monitor looking at what was being scanned, it was all very quick (item out of basket, scanned, into bag) and nobody took any notice.

Joanna0909a
01-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Oh I agree with most of the other girls - just go and shop. Most of the SA's are not going to make any fuss and many of them will be down right helpful. Some I have dealt with may or may not have known, but if they did they did not let on. The lady that sells me wigs knows and is most supportive and I got a make over at a E-L counter and she did know and was very sweet and helpful. Just remember this - if you act like you belong, everyone around will assume you belong...now head for the lingerie dept!

Joanna

Lorna
01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
First, my thanks to the many contributors to this thread - and for the diversity of views.

It is interesting how different contributors have differing ideas about what might constitute a "risky" purchase. For example, some have said that they have required courage to buy cosmetics or tights. For me, I have never given a moment's thought to that sort of purchase - things I could easily be buying for my wife/daughter/mother, etc. I have bought such things in department stores, supermarkets and small shops and nobody has ever shown surprise. I have also bought skirts and slips without worrying unduly - because I have bought such items for my wife on plenty of occasions, as have other male friends. However, for me, it is mainly bras, panties, girdles and shoes which I can't imagine buying for my wife (apart, perhaps from a frivolous, frilly bra for a special present!). Shoes can be quite expensive and not easy to try on unobtrusively but, bought from Tesco or Asda via the auto-checkout gives both anonymity and the chance to return and change them if they turn out to be the wrong size. I'm sorry not to be more confident....but that's just me!:happy:

joann426
01-16-2008, 08:56 AM
well i can tell all that when i go and buy some frillie things at wally world and when i lay them on the counter nobody says a thingabout product that i am buying because they dont know who you are buying for it could be for your wife or it could be for some one else in the family they dont know they cant say any thing about what or who you are buying for anay way i guess that the way i see it nobody cares what you buy:happy:

joann426

Susan G
01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
I have found buying items with a human sales/cashier is a nice way fo making a declaration, at least to myself, that this is who I am. I have never been asked, but I will admit that these items for me. I have had a cashier turn "colder" when she figured the bra was for me, but I just wrote it off as part of the experience, and actually enjoyed being figured out!